Pages:
Author

Topic: S7 controller has nine 18- pin jacks So what can we do with it? - page 4. (Read 10835 times)

Activity: 687
Merit: 511
I picked up 4 of the S7's and immediately switched all the fans to Scythe UltraKaze which are probably my favorite fans for a variety of reasons.  They spin at 3000 rpm putting out 133 cfm at a low 45 db.  Not the cheapest but last forever.  The last point is that they are great where static pressure is an issue, such as the tightly spaced fins on Bitmain products.  I can now be in the same neighborhood as the S7's and hear my family talking.

Interesting, I loved the Kaze's with the S5's, but I've had pretty poor experiences with them so far with the S7... The stock fans for me are god-awful, one of the pairs resonates at high speed, and makes a really pleasant constant 'train whistle' sound - really adds to the whole experience.  At 55% the sound is gone, but still lurking in the background.

I'm in the process of designing a ducted solution to mount a centrifugal blower - I think I can use only one and get better numbers and even quieter than a single Kaze, plus the static pressure of blowers smoke axial fans.  The test blower I'm using can move 500cfm, but at the cost of static pressure and sound, but at more mellow values, like 200 cfm it's amazingly quiet.

My first pass is always to get a standalone solution, then I'll look to integrate the S7 into my big plenum case - the challenge with it is the fan I chose for it doesn't have the best static pressure because the S5's were so free-flowing, there wasn't a point - I'm not sure that will be the case with the S7's.  I'm also holding off to design it into the case until J4bberwock's next PSU design, since I plan to use that and incorporate it into the design as well.
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068
Not 100% sure if it's the same cable on Alibaba. Usually there is a minimum order quantity and length is customizable for as low as $.25.
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ul-listed-28awg-18-pin-1_1961042307.html?spm=a2700.7724838.30.10.MKLnMJ

It just take me to a login screen, and i can't find them on ebay using that name. If someone buy a batch, let me know i'd be interested. Even easier if you buy it to Canada. I don't know alibaba but if they can sell a batch and ship it to my address, maybe a 3rd party that know Alibaba could do the deal. Then it'd be easier to ship them out to whoeever need them.

But i'm guessing this is probably what Jabberwock is doing anyways so we can probably wait until he has a batch for sale.
Activity: 895
Merit: 504
Not 100% sure if it's the same cable on Alibaba. Usually there is a minimum order quantity and length is customizable for as low as $.25.
http://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/ul-listed-28awg-18-pin-1_1961042307.html?spm=a2700.7724838.30.10.MKLnMJ

legendary
The easiest way to bypass all the fan issues is to run them at either 7v or 5v from the PSU.  It is easy to accomplish and very effective.  I think making a "custom" S5+ and using some inexpensive fans like the Yate Loons would work great.  Here is an explanation of running them at either 5 or 7 volts, which can be done without the switch described in the following article.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article6-page1.html

I picked up 4 of the S7's and immediately switched all the fans to Scythe UltraKaze which are probably my favorite fans for a variety of reasons.  They spin at 3000 rpm putting out 133 cfm at a low 45 db.  Not the cheapest but last forever.  The last point is that they are great where static pressure is an issue, such as the tightly spaced fins on Bitmain products.  I can now be in the same neighborhood as the S7's and hear my family talking.

I'd rather find a fan that always run at full speed and does the job, since wiring shit is kind of annoying. Sound a pain since you can't feed the -5v back to your PSU. Or maybe use a resistor cable? Well whatevers.

I need those 18 pins cables first anyways.
legendary
Activity: 980
Merit: 1001
aka "whocares"
The easiest way to bypass all the fan issues is to run them at either 7v or 5v from the PSU.  It is easy to accomplish and very effective.  I think making a "custom" S5+ and using some inexpensive fans like the Yate Loons would work great.  Here is an explanation of running them at either 5 or 7 volts, which can be done without the switch described in the following article.

http://www.silentpcreview.com/article6-page1.html

Activity: 81
Merit: 10
hi, are those, model ZPDR-18V-S ?

I have 50 of the 18 pins cables custom made in stock, and also some 16 pins ones for early S5s.
12" long, they were like 1$ each. if I remember correctly.

There are/were for the S5 watercooled case, and some other projects, but it seems that they can serve other purposes.

Edit on availability and pictures

legendary

Do you have any experience running 4 stock fan on a single S5 BBB/Base plate? I'm thinking of making a 2x S5 and i'm worried 4 Stock fan running at full speed might burn the BBB if it can't support that much power?

Your input would be appreciated.

It is tested with S7 base plate with 6  fan  connectors.  4 Stock fan.
S5 base plate has only 2 fan  connectors.

But the S7 has a dedicated connector just to itself for power? Only 2 fan connector isint an issue i would use a Y splitter. I am just wondering whether the board can safely supply the power or not.

The answer is  -  not safely, not long time.

Okay, thanks, i'll try to figure out an alternative. Maybe either run 4 at half speed, which probably equate to the same load as 2 fan at full speed?
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

Do you have any experience running 4 stock fan on a single S5 BBB/Base plate? I'm thinking of making a 2x S5 and i'm worried 4 Stock fan running at full speed might burn the BBB if it can't support that much power?

But the S7 has a dedicated connector just to itself for power? Only 2 fan connector isint an issue i would use a Y splitter. I am just wondering whether the board can safely supply the power or not.

The answer is  -  not safely, not long time.
legendary

legendary

It is tested with S7 base plate with 6  fan  connectors.  4 Stock fan.
S5 base plate has only 2 fan  connectors.
legendary
I have no need to put the S5  controller work with S7

I get 2 free S7 controller each of the three S7.

And as it turned out of tests,  S7 controller works with 8 S5 blades.

legendary
I have no need to put the S5  controller work with S7

I get 2 free S7 controller each of the three S7.

And as it turned out of tests,  S7 controller works with 8 S5 blades.

legendary
I knew that they looked the same but for those of us who only have pictures was interested if they were actually the same and that you would be able to use an S5  BBB with a S5 baseplate with an S7 Hash Board? I am also assuming that the S7 software will become available at some point and that an upgrade for the S5 would be posible?

Rich

If you look at the image, it will not work very well with S7 software.
Lower hashrate and 6 phantom blades.

Click to enlarge

Would it not be possible to just save the json config with the 600 freq? I know the drop down menu only let you go to 500 but that list just feed the JSON its value. I don't see any reason whatsoever why cgminer couldn't handle the 600 freq if its manually fed that value.

If for some odd reason you need specific cgminer to do 600mhz, then you just need to replace the cgminer using shh.
legendary
I knew that they looked the same but for those of us who only have pictures was interested if they were actually the same and that you would be able to use an S5  BBB with a S5 baseplate with an S7 Hash Board? I am also assuming that the S7 software will become available at some point and that an upgrade for the S5 would be posible?

Rich

If you look at the image, it will not work very well with S7 software.
Lower hashrate and 6 phantom blades.

Click to enlarge
Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Rich
legendary
Hmm question was S7 hashboard on an S5 BBB with an S5 baseplate?

Rich

Why should I try this ?
S5/S5+ maximum Frequency is only 500M  and the S7 software is not yet available.
With S5 software you get 5/6 from S7 frequency and lower hashrate.

If you still do not know ,  S5+  and S7 BBB is exactly the same, the only difference is the software.

S5+ and S7 uses  BBB labeled as Model S5Bb/V1.51

Hmm question was S7 hashboard on an S5 BBB with an S5 baseplate?

Rich
legendary
OK now that we have cleared up the definition of a BBB & "Base Plate" can I return to a rephrased version of an earlier question.

Has anyone actually tried running an S7 hashboard on an S5 BBB with an S5 baseplate?  Smiley

Rich

Yes.
3 x S7 blades  with S5  controller baseplate and S7 BBB with S7 software.

Click to enlarge
OK now that we have cleared up the definition of a BBB & "Base Plate" can I return to a rephrased version of an earlier question.

Has anyone actually tried running an S7 hashboard on an S5 BBB with an S5 baseplate?  Smiley

Rich
legendary

I didn't expect that, it wouldn't be possible outright based on what mine looked like. I mean the S5 BBB only has 4 slots for cables. Did you solder more in? Could be interesting personally to make a 3xS5.

S5+  controller.

Click to enlarge

What is What is BeagleBone Black?  (BBB)
http://beagleboard.org/BLACK

Oh right, for some reason i thought you meant a BBB with a S5 control board/plate etc. I hadn't realized that "base plate" was the thing the BBB socket in to control everything, my bad.
Pages:
Jump to: