Pages:
Author

Topic: S7 controller has nine 18- pin jacks So what can we do with it? - page 5. (Read 10835 times)

legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1003

I didn't expect that, it wouldn't be possible outright based on what mine looked like. I mean the S5 BBB only has 4 slots for cables. Did you solder more in? Could be interesting personally to make a 3xS5.

S5+  controller.

Click to enlarge

What is What is BeagleBone Black?  (BBB)
http://beagleboard.org/BLACK
legendary
Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068
That put my 2xS5 project to shame. So thats with a S5+ controller? I would very much like detailed pictures of this, any thoughts on starting a thread and showing off everything?

For the long cable, i'm still waiting on Jabberwock to get back to my PM, i will definitively need a couple. If you know another source, i'd be interested to know.

No. It is S5 BBB with  S5+ software an  S7 (not S5+)  base plate with 9 long data cables.

This is only temporary for testing, so more pictures did not come.
It consists of 2 x double size S5 and another half of S5.
I do not know yet, what data cable slot should   left free,  to work with only  8x S5 blade.

Cables are from Jabberwock. Another option is  soldering them longer by itself.

I didn't expect that, it wouldn't be possible outright based on what mine looked like. I mean the S5 BBB only has 4 slots for cables. Did you solder more in? Could be interesting personally to make a 3xS5.
legendary
For 8 board :

1 ) full
2 ) full
3) blank
4 ) full
5 ) full
6 ) full
7 ) full 
8 ) full
9 ) full

they came and they are great.  i will write a trust later today.

here is a shot of my controller loaded for 6 boards.  so:

1)full
2) full
 3) full
4)full
5) blank
6)full
7) blank
8 )full
9) blank

2 custom long with 4 stock short  this allows for 1 cat 5 not 2 and 1 unused controller

Click to enlarge

legendary
That put my 2xS5 project to shame. So thats with a S5+ controller? I would very much like detailed pictures of this, any thoughts on starting a thread and showing off everything?

For the long cable, i'm still waiting on Jabberwock to get back to my PM, i will definitively need a couple. If you know another source, i'd be interested to know.

No. It is S5 BBB with  S5+ software an  S7 (not S5+)  base plate with 9 long data cables.

This is only temporary for testing, so more pictures did not come.
It consists of 2 x double size S5 and another half of S5.
I do not know yet, what data cable slot should   left free,  to work with only  8x S5 blade.

Cables are from Jabberwock. Another option is  soldering them longer by itself.
legendary
I measured it at 0.5A, so 6 Watts. This was by measuring with 2 hash boards Connected & then with 1 Hash Board connected. The difference is the current that a single hash board is taking. Multiply by 2 and take it from the number you first thought of  Smiley & the have the Controller current.

Someone else measured it at between 8 & 11.2 Watts. So it somewhere around there.

Rich

Gotcha, based on your electrical knowledge and seeing how much power is available to the board, are you able to extrapolate how much juice it can give to fans without blowing up?

It's pretty obvious that Bitmain will eventually release an "S7+" - already did most of the engineering for it between the S7 and the S5+.

Has anyone actually tried running an S5 hash board on an S7 controller yet, or a S7 hashboard on an S5/S5+ controller?

Now that there are quite a few S7's out there it would be good to have an answer to this question?  Smiley

Rich

Yes.

Biggest S5, which is  been made.

Click to enlarge

S5 BBB with  S5+ software, S7 base plate with 9 long data cables.

legendary
It's pretty obvious that Bitmain will eventually release an "S7+" - already did most of the engineering for it between the S7 and the S5+.

Has anyone actually tried running an S5 hash board on an S7 controller yet, or a S7 hashboard on an S5/S5+ controller?

Now that there are quite a few S7's out there it would be good to have an answer to this question?  Smiley

Rich

Yes.

Biggest S5, which is  been made.

Click to enlarge

S5 BBB with  S5+ software, S7 base plate with 9 long data cables.

Activity: 588
Merit: 500
I measured it at 0.5A, so 6 Watts. This was by measuring with 2 hash boards Connected & then with 1 Hash Board connected. The difference is the current that a single hash board is taking. Multiply by 2 and take it from the number you first thought of  Smiley & the have the Controller current.

Someone else measured it at between 8 & 11.2 Watts. So it somewhere around there.

Rich
legendary

Now that there are quite a few S7's out there it would be good to have an answer to this question?  Smiley

Rich

I wanted to know this for controller efficiency. Basically it would be better to have less controllers for more miners. Keep the other controllers for backup.
And also, i can't seem to find the power consumption of the Beaglebone, did you calculate it yourself while you were messing around with the S5's? I'm guessing 10watts but just to be sure...
Activity: 588
Merit: 500

Rich
Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
I have 50 of the 18 pins cables custom made in stock, and also some 16 pins ones for early S5s.
12" long, they were like 1$ each. if I remember correctly.

There are/were for the S5 watercooled case, and some other projects, but it seems that they can serve other purposes.

Edit on availability and pictures

Anyone has the Digi-Key Part Number of the cable connectors?

I´ve been looking like crazy on this section without luck:
http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/connectors-interconnects

I would love to build these cables myself. Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed

I don't have the part number, but you'll probably end up paying more than the $1 I'm asking for each cable.
I'm making no profit on those cables.
To be transparent, I'm paying them $0.7 + shipping + 20% VAT on part and shipping.
I'm even probably at a loss if you add the time for packaging and actual packaging.
Activity: 266
Merit: 250
I have 50 of the 18 pins cables custom made in stock, and also some 16 pins ones for early S5s.
12" long, they were like 1$ each. if I remember correctly.

There are/were for the S5 watercooled case, and some other projects, but it seems that they can serve other purposes.

Edit on availability and pictures

Anyone has the Digi-Key Part Number of the cable connectors?

I´ve been looking like crazy on this section without luck:
http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en/connectors-interconnects

I would love to build these cables myself. Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed
Activity: 805
Merit: 250
PM sent for some s5 cables.
Activity: 840

1)full
2) full
 3) full
4)full
5) blank
6)full
7) blank
8 )full
9) blank

2 custom long with 4 stock short  this allows for 1 cat 5 not 2 and 1 unused controller

this shows the long and the short cables.

Thanks for the feedback, my girlfriend posted them without tracking, so I was a bit worried some won't reach the buyers.

I should have 200 of the 18 pins cables delivered in 8 or 10 days from now, if there is still some interest.
legendary
Activity: 4116
Merit: 7849
'The right to privacy matters'

1)full
2) full
 3) full
4)full
5) blank
6)full
7) blank
8 )full
9) blank

this shows the long and the short cables.

legendary
Activity: 1150
Merit: 1004
J4bberwock, I'm interested in picking up some cables too.

Since you indicated it will be about 3 weeks till they're back in stock, I'll ping you towards the end of the month.
legendary
Activity: 2030
Merit: 1076
BTCLife.global participant
also if you have 2 s-7's you can pull 1 controller off line and run 6 blades on one controller giving a spare  backup controller.

If you have 2 S7s and they are laying at the shelf and mining for you, and then one controller will go down, you lose half of your hashing power. If you connect all S7's boards to one controller and it will then suddenly go down, you lose all your hashing power.

Think about it.  Wink

Better is to connect all S7's boards to remaining controller in case of one controller's failure as an emergency measure.
legendary
Activity: 1167
Merit: 1009
let us know when you get more of those extension cables in stock those can come in handy I had an S5 controller board blow and I had stacked 2 miners on top of each other on 1 board but getting the wires in was very difficult to do with those short cables
Activity: 135
Merit: 100
If I wanted to use 3 meanwell 450s bridged and running custom PCI connectors off those I could swing it i think... right?
legendary
Activity: 1274
all my 18 pins cables are sold.  Cry
some 16 pins ones left.

I didn't expect so much interest.
I'll take 200 more with my next order from this supplier, approximately 3 weeks delay.

Still got some 16 pins left ill take 4 , or just wait ?. ....  btw

i ordered one of your PSU plugs with PCEI cables ends best thing  i ever did, I m gonna order one or two more  this week coming and found some new PSU's to match it on Ebay and  they are new with a year warranty,  it came to day for 20  bucks free shipping .

PSU on ebay  http://www.ebay.com/itm/111681971957?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT 

your thingly

http://holybitcoin.com/product/hp-1200-watt-common-slot-psu-bundle/

nothing at all against holybits site  but shipping all most the cost of a PSU.

but i love that site .

legendary

S5+  controller.

Click to enlarge
Pages:
Jump to: