Pages:
Author

Topic: Safepal hardware wallet review and opinions - page 2. (Read 1785 times)

Activity: 770
Merit: 835
Obviously I'll wait for a decent discount, it's not much needed at the moment, I have nothing.
Tell me one thing, could it be the DEFI too? I mean can I use applications like benches and stuff like that?

he expects a good promotion to arrive, I don't know about benches, but being safepal a multichain wallet you can easily interact with any defi platform on the web, even if I advise against using the lesser known ones and if you really want to use secure defi platforms! there have been episodes in which users have validated on defi platforms and then found themselves with emptied wallets. this goes for any wallet not just safepal
legendary
Activity: 1554
Merit: 1168
Obviously I'll wait for a decent discount, it's not much needed at the moment, I have nothing.
Tell me one thing, could it be the DEFI too? I mean can I use applications like benches and stuff like that?
true you are right, april is very close
patience, in the meantime I'll start collecting them and then maybe I'll wait for the next time they give some discount
during the year I noticed that the manufacturers give discounts 2-3 times so I was waiting for those

yes, if you're not in such a hurry, wait that they will certainly do some promotion during the holiday periods, I remember having taken it myself with a 20% discount but I don't remember why, then I have often seen the promotion with a 10% discount and if I'm not mistaken they also once did a Black Friday promotion not too long ago
legendary
February 26, 2023, 04:20:01 AM
true you are right, april is very close
patience, in the meantime I'll start collecting them and then maybe I'll wait for the next time they give some discount
during the year I noticed that the manufacturers give discounts 2-3 times so I was waiting for those
legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 7065
Farewell, Leo. You will be missed!
February 25, 2023, 04:03:10 AM
I try to get the candies every day maybe I can get it, otherwise I'll wait for the next discount or black friday or offer
There might be something before that. April is close and that means Easter is the next big holiday coming up. I am trying to remember if hardware wallet manufacturers created Easter discounts in the past without googling it, but I can't. Still, it's worth keeping an eye on it if you are not in a hurry.

Or just try to get in touch with their team and ask if they will have Easter promos. There was one case that I remember where a guy contacted the CEO of a HW brand and simply asked for a promo code, and the guy gave it to him. Try it out, you have nothing to lose. 
legendary
February 24, 2023, 03:40:29 PM
are there discount codes? otherwise I wait as soon as they make some discount
In addition to what @taufik123 said yesterday, there's a way to get a 10% discount, but it requires having 250 candies on CoinGecko: 10% Off SafePal products
- Introducing CoinGecko Candy: Be Rewarded for Using CoinGecko [I prefer not to vouch (DYOR)!]

thank you very much for sharing this trick
I try to get the candies every day maybe I can get it, otherwise I'll wait for the next discount or black friday or offer

in the end they always do

anyway thank you so much
February 22, 2023, 08:38:53 AM
ah I didn't know that, it's a pretty good feature
so you can have a wallet without using the HW one?
I'm new in this sector, thanks for the tip Cheesy I almost buy it

exactly friend, you can also simply use only the safepal application to have a multichain wallet without the obligation to have hardware wallet in possession, obviously without the device you cannot have your seed stored on the secure element offline, but you can then combine the your software wallet with your hardware wallet. but I do not recommend this procedure, it is better to create a new wallet when you have the device in order to keep everything offline. regarding a discount, currently there is nothing on the official website but only the possibility of having free shipping if you buy two products, for example you buy a safepal S1 and also add a safepal leather case and you do not pay the shipping costs which I think are around 8-9 dollars
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 3406
Crypto Swap Exchange
February 20, 2023, 01:20:35 PM
In addition to what @taufik123 said yesterday, there's a way to get a 10% discount, but it requires having 250 candies on CoinGecko: 10% Off SafePal products
- Introducing CoinGecko Candy: Be Rewarded for Using CoinGecko [I prefer not to vouch (DYOR)!]
legendary
Activity: 2464
Merit: 1703
Blackjack.fun
February 19, 2023, 11:32:57 AM
I would also say, since the safepal app can manage multiple wallets both hardware and software, it would be enough to open a new wallet without combining it with the hardware wallet and put the coins there but only those you need to do your daily operations, you leave the rest in the secure hardware wallet. what are the advantages? that you don't need to scan QR codes and save battery power, and it's much faster
The safepal application is a multi-wallet that can be used for all existing networks and more than 30,000 coins are supported by safepal.
The features and appearance are fresher and can be used for all Android, iOS and PC devices.

Hardware wallets are only used a few times because they are the main wallet, they won't be opened often.
Creating a backup wallet will be better for managing assets temporarily or only temporarily more easily and quickly.

Make as many wallets as you want without having to buy HW. HW is only used for higher security, you will need it to keep your valuable assets more secure.
Apart from that, the safepal App also supports NFT stores and is available with many dApps and can interact very easily on several networks such as Ethereum, Polygon, BSC, Solana, Terra and many more.
https://www.safepal.com/appinfo

About the discount, you can see maybe it still doesn't exist, but you can get free shipping by purchasing any 2 items.
Buy 2 for global free shipping (Excluding Leather Case)
https://store.safepal.com/safepal-s1-hardware-wallet.html

legendary
February 19, 2023, 04:45:07 AM

February 18, 2023, 03:55:10 PM

friend, in my opinion I find it expensive and also useless to spend additional funds on the purchase of a new hardware wallet, if your device still works perfectly why replace it? I don't see a valid reason because of the battery life, I could understand you if there was a security problem as the reason. battery life is very important but other devices are not that much better, considering the quality / price ratio! of course if you want a longer duration a safepal of less than $50 gives you a duration of about 20 days, if you want a longer duration and therefore better quality it will also increase the price you will have to pay. I understand using it frequently becomes more of a problem as the battery drains fast. I too had considered buying a new hardware wallet but not because of the S1 battery problem but more than anything else I would like to have an open source hw, more than anything else it has become my obsession rather than a real need, but then I did the same question, do I really need it? my S1 still works fine and until the safety of my funds is questioned i will keep them there. then of course everyone makes their own assessments

I would also say, since the safepal app can manage multiple wallets both hardware and software, it would be enough to open a new wallet without combining it with the hardware wallet and put the coins there but only those you need to do your daily operations, you leave the rest in the secure hardware wallet. what are the advantages? that you don't need to scan QR codes and save battery power, and it's much faster
legendary
February 18, 2023, 05:19:59 AM
I agree with you, in the end you have to look at the main purpose.
Is the main purpose to keep your pennies safe? Does it do it well?
It only changes when it breaks (of course) and please make a backup!
February 17, 2023, 04:34:01 PM
Update: After I left it for 20 days after I fully charged it, on the day I turned it on again I turned on the SafePal S1 and was a little surprised that the battery was still full, only reduced 1 strip while many I know the battery will run out automatically can't be turned on either but next time this is still enough to last for 20 days or more.

So is it because this is a new S1 that the battery power is still strong for the next 20 days without frequent charging?
You need to use it regularly on a daily basis to test whether the battery lasts longer or if it becomes wasteful.
When I used it at the beginning of the purchase it was quite good.
But as time goes by the battery strength starts to decrease and even when turned off the battery still decreases (I assume there is a slight problem with the hardware wallet battery that I use).
Well I have to regularly use this hardware to test battery life but I think indeed if the initial purchase is always good and not wasteful it's just that I need the same as you to manage it every day using this hardware.

It's possible that the physical resistance of the battery will decrease if it's over time with frequent use, so I need to finish this because I want to know how strong the battery's resistance is until it's wasteful.
At least I won't keep assets on this hardware for longer, my assumption is also the same that one day the battery will definitely have problems what you will face later.

friend, in my opinion I find it expensive and also useless to spend additional funds on the purchase of a new hardware wallet, if your device still works perfectly why replace it? I don't see a valid reason because of the battery life, I could understand you if there was a security problem as the reason. battery life is very important but other devices are not that much better, considering the quality / price ratio! of course if you want a longer duration a safepal of less than $50 gives you a duration of about 20 days, if you want a longer duration and therefore better quality it will also increase the price you will have to pay. I understand using it frequently becomes more of a problem as the battery drains fast. I too had considered buying a new hardware wallet but not because of the S1 battery problem but more than anything else I would like to have an open source hw, more than anything else it has become my obsession rather than a real need, but then I did the same question, do I really need it? my S1 still works fine and until the safety of my funds is questioned i will keep them there. then of course everyone makes their own assessments
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 1789
February 14, 2023, 10:14:47 AM
Update: After I left it for 20 days after I fully charged it, on the day I turned it on again I turned on the SafePal S1 and was a little surprised that the battery was still full, only reduced 1 strip while many I know the battery will run out automatically can't be turned on either but next time this is still enough to last for 20 days or more.
That's not surprising. Most battery-powered devices have good battery life for the first months or so, and then it deteriorates after that. The speed will depend on the quality, usage, charging habit, etc. The timeframe of your test needs to be longer to see more reliable data.

At least I won't keep assets on this hardware for longer, my assumption is also the same that one day the battery will definitely have problems what you will face later.
If you don't plan on using it to store some crypto for the long term, is there any specific reason why you bought it? Honestly, after some years of using a hardware wallet, building my own air-gapped device to store crypto sounds better for my needs. I don't think you need to buy a new one just because the battery died though if you just want to store some crypto there. As long as you can still use it and there is no critical exploit that only needs an internet connection to use them as an attack vector. CMIIW.

I have tested the firmware and battery life used, and the results are quite disappointing.
I have provided feedback via email and have not received a reply.
Even if they send you a reply, I don't think it will be anything meaningful. They'll probably say thanks and promise that they'll make it better for future updates/hardware versions, and that's it.
Activity: 1470
Merit: 783
February 12, 2023, 01:28:23 PM

So is it because this is a new S1 that the battery power is still strong for the next 20 days without frequent charging?
You need to use it regularly on a daily basis to test whether the battery lasts longer or if it becomes wasteful.
But as time goes by the battery strength starts to decrease and even when turned off the battery still decreases (I assume there is a slight problem with the hardware wallet battery that I use).
Well I have to regularly use this hardware to test battery life but I think indeed if the initial purchase is always good and not wasteful it's just that I need the same as you to manage it every day using this hardware.

It's possible that the physical resistance of the battery will decrease if it's over time with frequent use, so I need to finish this because I want to know how strong the battery's resistance is until it's wasteful.
legendary
Activity: 2464
Merit: 1703
Blackjack.fun
February 12, 2023, 12:02:49 PM
Does this mean you already test the firmware and don't see any improvement in performance? You can probably submit this feedback to their support or post it on their social media.
I have tested the firmware and battery life used, and the results are quite disappointing.
I have provided feedback via email and have not received a reply.

Have you tried it on your own? If you managed to do it, posting a guide or video might be helpful for others who want to do the same thing. Otherwise, I'd recommend buying another wallet or building your own HW if the device is still usable but the battery died, and you want to have some portability for someone who has no experience in doing something like this.
Haven't tried to disassemble safepal wallet yet, because I don't have to, and also I don't have the full tools to start disassembling it.
Safepal Wallet is only my first personal wallet. If you recommend buying another hardwallet, maybe Ledger will be the first choice.

Full article Partial Teardown of the SafePal S1
https://blog.inhq.net/posts/safepal-s1-teardown1/
It's possible there are some little changes after they did recent facelift and brand design changes.
Judging by Christian Reitter who opened Safepal last year, there are no tamper detection sensors here, so it looks like one more false advertisement from Safepal.
I would never spend a single dollar on this wallet, but if someone already owns it's good to know that battery can be replaced.
About the tamper sensor not being available and not matching the published advertisement, I also just found out about it.
There are many problems that may occur in this first version of the safepal wallet, but I don't know about the second version, or whether there may be many updates I don't have it yet and there are no plans to buy safepal version 2.

I bought this safepal hardware wallet initially only interested in the airdrops that safepal always publishes with special allocations for hardware wallet holders.
The price is also quite affordable. But currently, there are no more airdrops that generate good profits, not even a single airdrop is issued after entering the bear market.

Activity: 1470
Merit: 783
February 10, 2023, 01:14:49 PM

This doesn't include me using the S1 for more than 5 minutes, so I haven't tried that, most of the time it's just for depositing but I haven't had much interaction on the S1.

S1 photo appearance

legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7060
Cashback 15%
February 08, 2023, 03:31:17 PM
Full article Partial Teardown of the SafePal S1
https://blog.inhq.net/posts/safepal-s1-teardown1/
It's possible there are some little changes after they did recent facelift and brand design changes.
Judging by Christian Reitter who opened Safepal last year, there are no tamper detection sensors here, so it looks like one more false advertisement from Safepal.
I would never spend a single dollar on this wallet, but if someone already owns it's good to know that battery can be replaced.

honestly speaking, i don't think a firmware update will solve the safepal s1 battery problem, i think the problem is just the type of battery supplied with the hardware wallet that doesn't hold a charge! trying to replace it could trigger the self-destruct protection! you should first order a new device or get a different device than safepal
Does anyone know how exactly their self-destruction mechanism works?
If it is triggered by opening of device, than it would be almost impossible to replace battery, but it can probably still be used with cable power connection.
They obviously added self-destruction sticker to make it sound look than it is  Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 1789
February 08, 2023, 10:40:01 AM
But in reality, I very rarely use the wallet. I mostly open the Safepal mobile application.
Hardware wallets are only used for assets that I hold for the long term.
That sucks, but not surprising since some users already stated that the battery quality is terrible. I guess you should not use this device if you plan to store crypto for the long term. I don't think you need to buy another battery-powered HW for that purpose anyway. Use an air-gapped device or buy an HW powered by USB if you want to.

Even though updating the firmware doesn't help much, at least the developers provide updates or performance improvements that are better than just focusing on adding networks.
Does this mean you already test the firmware and don't see any improvement in performance? You can probably submit this feedback to their support or post it on their social media.

In order not to damage the front panel that uses glass, you need to be careful and make sure the blower is at a hot temperature to make it easier to open it.
This is the same as replacing a smartphone back cover that uses glass.
Have you tried it on your own? If you managed to do it, posting a guide or video might be helpful for others who want to do the same thing. Otherwise, I'd recommend buying another wallet or building your own HW if the device is still usable but the battery died, and you want to have some portability for someone who has no experience in doing something like this.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 3406
Crypto Swap Exchange
February 08, 2023, 09:46:42 AM
About modifying the safepal battery, it seems doable.
~Snipped~
this makes it possible to replace the safepal battery with another battery of the same type.
It's a good thing that SafePal users can easily find a replacement for their faulty batteries but technically, this doesn't count as a modification that allows other types of batteries to power S1.

this would be better than waiting for a refund (for new users) which of course would take quite a long time.
I'm not sure if you were referring to newcomers to this field or new S1 users who might have the basic knowledge and tools to pry it open, but for both cases, I don't think it's a good idea [unless it's the last resort]:
  • e.g. former would destroy something while the latter would void the warranty!
Pages:
Jump to: