Pages:
Author

Topic: Safepal hardware wallet review and opinions - page 3. (Read 1785 times)

Activity: 770
Merit: 835
February 07, 2023, 09:52:38 PM
honestly speaking, i don't think a firmware update will solve the safepal s1 battery problem, i think the problem is just the type of battery supplied with the hardware wallet that doesn't hold a charge! trying to replace it could trigger the self-destruct protection! you should first order a new device or get a different device than safepal
legendary
Activity: 2520
Merit: 1721
MrStork Exchange Service
February 02, 2023, 08:41:35 AM
I wouldn't be too hopeful even if the firmware upgrade addresses some issues. If you already use your wallet many times, the battery drain might be more severe than you think, so a firmware upgrade might not help that much. It is a piece of good news if they help the battery drain issue, but it won't reverse what your battery has gone through. Might be worth looking for an alternative if the battery is such a big deal for your needs.
But in reality, I very rarely use the wallet. I mostly open the Safepal mobile application.
Hardware wallets are only used for assets that I hold for the long term.

Even though updating the firmware doesn't help much, at least the developers provide updates or performance improvements that are better than just focusing on adding networks.

I wonder if we can modify the device and build our own connection so that we can use other batteries to power the device, albeit the cost might be higher than I think.
Most HW manufacturers probably wouldn't integrate a non-standard battery into their design, so I don't think finding a suitable replacement battery would be a big issue.
About modifying the safepal battery, it seems doable. I searched for some references and found some safepal users had an error and died on the safepal device battery. and they tried to take it apart and you can see the safepal battery has a power of 400 mAh with a voltage of 3.7v 403035 .

and then I searched the marketplace for many available batteries of the same size. this makes it possible to replace the safepal battery with another battery of the same type. this would be better than waiting for a refund (for new users) which of course would take quite a long time.

https://id.aliexpress.com/i/32861524014.html?gatewayAdapt=glo2idn

Full article Partial Teardown of the SafePal S1
https://blog.inhq.net/posts/safepal-s1-teardown1/

Not without triggering its self-destruct mechanism first [to those who might want to try it, make sure you've already backed up your seed phrases] and you'll probably end up breaking its front panel [e.g. here's a video that shows it's not worth the trouble].
In order not to damage the front panel that uses glass, you need to be careful and make sure the blower is at a hot temperature to make it easier to open it.
This is the same as replacing a smartphone back cover that uses glass.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 3406
Crypto Swap Exchange
February 01, 2023, 02:01:54 PM
But that will certainly have an impact on the design aspect which is quite large and thick.

https://i.postimg.cc/XJm84CDW/keystone.png
The highlighted part is a bit tricky [e.g. here's a "dissatisfied user with a detaching issue"]...

If not, then you have to find a battery that is almost the same so you can install it.
Most HW manufacturers probably wouldn't integrate a non-standard battery into their design, so I don't think finding a suitable replacement battery would be a big issue.

I wonder if we can modify the device and build our own connection so that we can use other batteries to power the device, albeit the cost might be higher than I think.
Not without triggering its self-destruct mechanism first [to those who might want to try it, make sure you've already backed up your seed phrases] and you'll probably end up breaking its front panel [e.g. here's a video that shows it's not worth the trouble].
legendary
Activity: 2170
Merit: 1789
February 01, 2023, 07:36:39 AM
Maybe my safepal battery is not good.
Still waiting for the latest firmware upgrade for 2023.
I wouldn't be too hopeful even if the firmware upgrade addresses some issues. If you already use your wallet many times, the battery drain might be more severe than you think, so a firmware upgrade might not help that much. It is a piece of good news if they help the battery drain issue, but it won't reverse what your battery has gone through. Might be worth looking for an alternative if the battery is such a big deal for your needs.

legendary
MrStork Exchange Service
-snip-
Keystone and Passport hardware wallets are both using removable batteries that can easily be replaced and I am totally supporting that.
I just found out about the Keystone hardware wallet which in my opinion is quite good by using a Type AAA battery holder and a lithium battery that can be removed and recharged (2 types of batteries to choose from). and AAA batteries can be replaced with any brand of battery with the same type of battery.

Maybe it will be more economical and easier to replace the battery in the event of damage.
But that will certainly have an impact on the design aspect which is quite large and thick.

If referring to the current design of portable electronic devices, the use of removable batteries is quite outdated.
I agree that it's an outdated design, but if the battery of my HW dies, I prefer not to send it back for repair and just order a new battery.
- BTW, the battery situation will slightly change in a few years: EU Proposes Legislation to Bring Back Replaceable Batteries on Smartphones
That's for sure, replace the dead HW battery by buying a new battery and it must be suitable for the HW. But whether the company provides it or not. If not, then you have to find a battery that is almost the same so you can install it.

Regarding the application of a removable battery that can be replaced easily, it depends on how it will be implemented later. this refers to all devices that use a built-in battery.

-snip-
Some Reddit users claim their battery died but a firmware upgrade fixed it, albeit they need to charge for some time[1]. Keep in mind that this might refer to the old version.

[1] https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/qojnp7/anyone_had_experience_with_safepal_s1_hardware/
In the latest firmware update, nothing has changed in battery usage. My safepal is still wasteful even if it's not used at all.
Looking at the latest firmware upgrade information there is only information about adding networks, and they do only focus on new networks.

Maybe my safepal battery is not good.
Still waiting for the latest firmware upgrade for 2023.
https://safepalsupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360047263792
In the meantime, thanks for the feedback, from what I see you took the S1 model version before the logo change, but the logo doesn't matter, the important thing is that the device works well and without problems. Have you encountered any problems charging the battery? Can you tell us more or less how long the battery charge lasts? and encountered focus issues when scanning the QR code? sorry for too many questions
I've never had a problem charging the battery everything went normally charging pretty fast in my personal opinion.
I'm still trying to leave it for 20 days after fully charging the battery so I didn't turn on the hardware again until 20 days later, I'm curious about that if for 20 days the battery will run out or is there still some left after that, I'll let you know after reach the next 20 days.

About scanning the QR code, I said above, it's fast enough, no slow words or no focus on the camera, everything runs normally, friends.

Don't worry I'm glad I helped in my experience with the HW S1. Wink

ok friend, meanwhile thanks for the precious feedback, honestly I don't know how long the battery of my S1 lasts also because I charge it and use it only once a month or even once every 2 months, I don't use it to do many operations it's just piggy bank for Bitcoin and other altcoins, in fact every time I turn it on it always has a low battery but in reality I have never looked closely to see how long the battery lasts
legendary
I'm still trying to leave it for 20 days after fully charging the battery so I didn't turn on the hardware again until 20 days later, I'm curious about that if for 20 days the battery will run out or is there still some left after that, I'll let you know after reach the next 20 days.
I think the explanation shared on the official link is very vague. There is no test data, ambiguous 10 minutes a day usage, etc. I would not take them seriously tbh. Even if you complain about it and claim that they scam you, they can easily claim that your usage and their test are different. I'll just assume the worst and be prepared to change the battery (if possible) some months after I use it since I read many threads on social media like Reddit that S1's battery life is questionable. That being said, it is not that different from other HW though (some members even claim it is better than what Ledger is using), so that's that.

Have you encountered any problems charging the battery?
Some Reddit users claim their battery died but a firmware upgrade fixed it, albeit they need to charge for some time[1]. Keep in mind that this might refer to the old version.

[1] https://www.reddit.com/r/CryptoCurrency/comments/qojnp7/anyone_had_experience_with_safepal_s1_hardware/
Activity: 1498
Merit: 785
In the meantime, thanks for the feedback, from what I see you took the S1 model version before the logo change, but the logo doesn't matter, the important thing is that the device works well and without problems. Have you encountered any problems charging the battery? Can you tell us more or less how long the battery charge lasts? and encountered focus issues when scanning the QR code? sorry for too many questions
I've never had a problem charging the battery everything went normally charging pretty fast in my personal opinion.

About scanning the QR code, I said above, it's fast enough, no slow words or no focus on the camera, everything runs normally, friends.

Don't worry I'm glad I helped in my experience with the HW S1. Wink
Finally I have the SafePal S1 hardware in my hands, and already using the USB type-C port.
-snip-

Can you do a review on the latest safepal wallet,
so you can know what you think is different and how fast charging is done and how long the battery lasts.
First I turn on SafePal with the battery indicator at 1/3 then I turn off the hardware again after creating the seed phrase and I save it again, after a week later I turn on the hardware wallet again there is still a little battery left and I charge it again but it doesn't take long around 15 or 20 minutes (I didn't really pay attention to the specific time) I don't know if this is long or not this is the first time I tried to charge it.

I'll try to let it rest for the next 20 days without turning it on with full battery, I'll let you know.

All normal functions including the QR scan function quickly.

I don't think that's the latest version of S1 since it has the previous logo on the package [he/she probably bought it from one of the "official resellers (scroll down to see the list)"].

It's true that I bought from an official reseller, with the aim of getting it to my hands quickly.

Finally I have the SafePal S1 hardware in my hands, and already using the USB type-C port.
-snip-

so you can know what you think is different and how fast charging is done and how long the battery lasts.
First I turn on SafePal with the battery indicator at 1/3 then I turn off the hardware again after creating the seed phrase and I save it again, after a week later I turn on the hardware wallet again there is still a little battery left and I charge it again but it doesn't take long around 15 or 20 minutes (I didn't really pay attention to the specific time) I don't know if this is long or not this is the first time I tried to charge it.

I'll try to let it rest for the next 20 days without turning it on with full battery, I'll let you know.

All normal functions including the QR scan function quickly.

I don't think that's the latest version of S1 since it has the previous logo on the package [he/she probably bought it from one of the "official resellers (scroll down to see the list)"].

It's true that I bought from an official reseller, with the aim of getting it to my hands quickly.
legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
-snip-
https://i.gyazo.com/2d1e70b3fd3b91846a613823358f26e5.png

If referring to the current design of portable electronic devices, the use of removable batteries is quite outdated.
I agree that it's an outdated design, but if the battery of my HW dies, I prefer not to send it back for repair and just order a new battery.
- BTW, the battery situation will slightly change in a few years: EU Proposes Legislation to Bring Back Replaceable Batteries on Smartphones
legendary
Activity: 2212
Merit: 7064
Cashback 15%
Most devices use a built-in non-removable battery.
That is not because this built-in batteries are better in any way, it's only because this is cheaper for manufacturers and they can take more money from customers.
I don't know the quality of battery used in safepal wallet, but based on the price I am sure they are using some cheap chinese stuff, and I think this is still better than crap ledger nono x is using.
Keystone and Passport hardware wallets are both using removable batteries that can easily be replaced and I am totally supporting that.
legendary
MrStork Exchange Service
Battery indicator when fully powered off

The last time I used Safepal with an almost full battery indicator, I turned it off or shutdown the safepal wallet.
After 16 days I left it and I turned it on again, the battery was drastically reduced or even almost used up, even though for 16 days I didn't turn it on at all.

But is this reasonable or not, I want to listen to the opinions of those of you who also use safepal. when safepal is fully turned off, does the wallet still work in the background so that the battery drains?

See the explanation on safepal support, it is said that when the safepal battery is fully loaded and the user uses it 10 minutes per day, the device will last for 20 days. But in reality, when it's not used at all, the battery remains reduced and doesn't even last 20 days.

https://safepalsupport.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/4407187523995-How-long-can-a-S1-hardware-wallet-sustain-after-it-s-fully-charged-What-if-I-don-t-charge-it-for-a-long-time-

I know the downside of lithium batteries, when they are not charged regularly the battery life will gradually decrease.

-snip-

Most devices use a built-in non-removable battery.

Maybe it can increase battery capacity and better battery quality.
a little thick is also fine as long as the battery is reliable.

• Larger screen [IIRC, their plan was to do the exact opposite] with a matte finish in the front.
And for the screen, I also agree that if the screen is upgraded it is wider and the quality of the screen is also improved.
If following the current trend the hardware wallet screen is used to display the NFT image and it is quite useful.
But the price offered will also be more expensive. But it doesn't matter if the quality is better than safepal S1.

I remember once signing a message via bnb and not via btc but I'm not really sure what I did or was it the approval of a protocol
I can find this sign/verify page on BSCscan, are you referring to this[1]? It supports MetaMask and WalletConnect. According to this page, SafePal does support WalletConnect, so it's not impossible for you to create a message and sign it[2]. I never tried it myself though, since BTC-signed message is more common here. CMIIW.

[1] https://bscscan.com/verifiedSignatures
[2] How to connect the SafePal software wallet to a DApp on PC via Wallet Connect?

I don't really remember what I did at that time, I'm talking about an event that took place about 2 years ago, I was testing some bnb's, and a message appeared on the hardware wallet! but I don't know if it was an Italian translation error of the HW or they meant to say to approve the protocol, however it was not WalletConnect that I'm sure
legendary
I remember once signing a message via bnb and not via btc but I'm not really sure what I did or was it the approval of a protocol
I can find this sign/verify page on BSCscan, are you referring to this[1]? It supports MetaMask and WalletConnect. According to this page, SafePal does support WalletConnect, so it's not impossible for you to create a message and sign it[2]. I never tried it myself though, since BTC-signed message is more common here. CMIIW.

[1] https://bscscan.com/verifiedSignatures
[2] How to connect the SafePal software wallet to a DApp on PC via Wallet Connect?
if the new S2 hardware wallet were to come out, what would you like to find new and different from the S1?
Hardware-wise:
Note: I wasn't referring to the following things in my previous post.

• Removable battery with a higher capacity [refer to "Passport Batch 2"].
  • Larger screen [IIRC, their plan was to do the exact opposite] with a matte finish in the front.

I also find the way in which messages are signed well done,
Am I correct in assuming that you were referring to how transactions are signed, as opposed to signing a message to prove ownership of an address [AFAIK, it doesn't have this kind of feature]?

no, my mistake, I meant signing the transactions, not the messages! I'm sorry but my English is not the best. cmq I remember once signing a message via bnb and not via btc but I'm not really sure what I did or was it the approval of a protocol
legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
if the new S2 hardware wallet were to come out, what would you like to find new and different from the S1?
Hardware-wise:
Note: I wasn't referring to the following things in my previous post.

• Removable battery with a higher capacity [refer to "Passport Batch 2"].

I also find the way in which messages are signed well done,
Am I correct in assuming that you were referring to how transactions are signed, as opposed to signing a message to prove ownership of an address [AFAIK, it doesn't have this kind of feature]?
i think they are not going to create a new S2 for the moment and will focus on S1 but in my opinion they are doing it in the wrong way
Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing an improved version of the S1, provided that they alter the things that actually matter [in other words, the opposite of what they've more or less done so far].

if the new S2 hardware wallet were to come out, what would you like to find new and different from the S1? I personally find the application quite well done, I also find the way in which messages are signed well done, the biggest problem is that they are not open source and this is a big point against.
legendary
Crypto Swap Exchange
i think they are not going to create a new S2 for the moment and will focus on S1 but in my opinion they are doing it in the wrong way
Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing an improved version of the S1, provided that they alter the things that actually matter [in other words, the opposite of what they've more or less done so far].

and currently, the newest safepal doesn't use a mini USB port, but has been upgraded to USB-C.
After reading ajiz138's post, I think they must've changed it prior to updating their logo:

I don't know about comparisons with other hardware, it's just that I use both SafePal and other hardware.
The latter part doesn't seem right...
It was quite comfortable when I started using SafePal S1 and me can see it directly from the SafePal App, I don't know about comparisons with other hardware, it's just that I use both SafePal and other hardware.

That's right, the most important thing is the phrase seed that needs to be stored safely!!

Pages:
Jump to: