Pages:
Author

Topic: Safepal hardware wallet review and opinions - page 4. (Read 1785 times)

Activity: 770
Merit: 835

The battery is also an important issue for the longevity of using the wallet, if the wallet has no battery power at all or the battery dies, it will be a serious problem (as long as the seed phrase is stored properly it may still be quite safe).

right! it is true that having a hardware wallet with a melted battery would make the device unusable, but it is also true that it will still be possible to use it with a charging cable always connected to the socket! and what's more if you have kept the seed you still have your funds safe
Activity: 1470
Merit: 783
Right the main thing is the security of the wallet including the well kept seed phrases, even though it's a small issue about the battery I guess it will be a lot of consideration for others (maybe) but still don't know about SafePal hardware maybe I'll try to buy on the official site.
If you want to buy the latest safepal wallet at this time, it might be a comparison between the old device and the new one. Because as I said earlier there is also an update on the use of ports that previously used a mini USB port and now use a USB-C port, maybe the battery lasts longer, and charging will be faster.

The battery is also an important issue for the longevity of using the wallet, if the wallet has no battery power at all or the battery dies, it will be a serious problem (as long as the seed phrase is stored properly it may still be quite safe).
Well maybe later there will be some difference after updating to USB-C I can feel how the hardware is once in my hand and usually with USB-C port charging faster and battery lasts longer but I don't know I haven't felt all that except it's true really already hold in the hands of the SafePal hardware.

Now that should be a concern because no matter what it looks like with no charge at all it will definitely affect the hardware wallet, whereas I always don't use it every week or every month but keep it for a long time and only record the BTC address to receive bitcoins from routine purchases every week or every month.

If so, and now that I have a SafePal hardware wallet like it I should be able to power it on or charge it once a week to maintain the quality of the wallet.
legendary
Activity: 2464
Merit: 1703
Blackjack.fun
if the wallet has no battery power at all or the battery dies, it will be a serious problem (as long as the seed phrase is stored properly it may still be quite safe).
Can you not run it directly with a connected USB cable?
-snip-
Actually, use the safepal wallet when the battery is empty with USB still connected + charging it can still be used, but if you do it often it might affect battery life because it will overheat. so I use the safepal wallet when it's not being charged to power.

if so the battery lasts less than 20 days means indirectly charging it every week is a great way to maintain hardware quality?
More or less yes. I heard the same thing regarding other electronic devices which use lithium. Most of the tips are to make sure the battery stay between 80-20%, don't let it overcharge or left it empty for too long, etc. Might be quite difficult to track for a hardware wallet though, so probably just charge it once in a few days or so. CMIIW.
In some circumstances, it may be possible for me to look at the battery indicator to check how much battery remains. But when I turn it off and don't use it for too long the battery will decrease.

But when I press the power button 1x the wallet will standby (maybe this will drain the battery), but when I press the button for a long time and the wallet is off, maybe the battery is not reduced, I'm trying it, and will know the results later when the wallet is completely turned off.

Battery indicator when fully powered off
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1789
if the wallet has no battery power at all or the battery dies, it will be a serious problem (as long as the seed phrase is stored properly it may still be quite safe).
Can you not run it directly with a connected USB cable? I'm not familiar with SafePal but looking at my Nano X, I can still use it when my battery is empty (connected with a cable of course). I personally don't think it is a major problem since you usually use an HW with another device that has a USB port. Still sucks though.

if so the battery lasts less than 20 days means indirectly charging it every week is a great way to maintain hardware quality?
More or less yes. I heard the same thing regarding other electronic devices which use lithium. Most of the tips are to make sure the battery stay between 80-20%, don't let it overcharge or left it empty for too long, etc. Might be quite difficult to track for a hardware wallet though, so probably just charge it once in a few days or so. CMIIW.
legendary
Blackjack.fun
-snip-
But when I started using it it didn't last long when the battery charge was full. When left alone or not used at all for 1 week the battery suddenly runs out. Maybe it's just an update issue or it needs some battery hardware upgrade.

Will I continue to use safepal? of course yes! the battery is a minor problem that doesn't affect the security of the wallet, obviously if there weren't this problem it would be a better wallet. why do you think the battery problem should be a reason not to use safepal anymore?
Right the main thing is the security of the wallet including the well kept seed phrases, even though it's a small issue about the battery I guess it will be a lot of consideration for others (maybe) but still don't know about SafePal hardware maybe I'll try to buy on the official site.
If you want to buy the latest safepal wallet at this time, it might be a comparison between the old device and the new one. Because as I said earlier there is also an update on the use of ports that previously used a mini USB port and now use a USB-C port, maybe the battery lasts longer, and charging will be faster.

Activity: 1470
Merit: 783
I didn't use this but yeah, I've read in different articles that the common problem is the short life span of the battery because they use lithium batteries which is IMO, if you'll not charge it regularly it will reduce the lifespan.  If you're familiar with the most popular battery used in solar energy they used lithium which needs to recharge daily.  My advice is that, even though you didn't use it just check and occasionally charge it like every week even though you're not using it, the battery survives more or less 20 days as their website said which I think 1 week is quite enough.
Same I saw about this problem in several articles so I reconsidered buying SafePal hardware and buying other hardware that doesn't use batteries, but I need other considerations to have some hardware to use including SafePal which I have glanced at before , if so the battery lasts less than 20 days means indirectly charging it every week is a great way to maintain hardware quality?

Will I continue to use safepal? of course yes! the battery is a minor problem that doesn't affect the security of the wallet, obviously if there weren't this problem it would be a better wallet. why do you think the battery problem should be a reason not to use safepal anymore?
Some of the obstacles that I also complain about from Safepal are the use of batteries that are still wasteful.
When using the wallet regularly the battery will run out in less than 1 week with full charging during use.

I also encountered the battery problem, when switched off the battery discharges anyway and often when I don't use it for a long time I find the safepal totally discharged! I think this should be fixed. Do you happen to know if in the new s1 with the introduction of type-c they have also fixed the battery problem?
I didn't use this but yeah, I've read in different articles that the common problem is the short life span of the battery because they use lithium batteries which is IMO, if you'll not charge it regularly it will reduce the lifespan.  If you're familiar with the most popular battery used in solar energy they used lithium which needs to recharge daily.  My advice is that, even though you didn't use it just check and occasionally charge it like every week even though you're not using it, the battery survives more or less 20 days as their website said which I think 1 week is quite enough.

Now knowing that issue? 
Would you continue using SafePal hardware wallet?

legendary
Activity: 2366
Merit: 1206
Some of the obstacles that I also complain about from Safepal are the use of batteries that are still wasteful.
When using the wallet regularly the battery will run out in less than 1 week with full charging during use.

I also encountered the battery problem, when switched off the battery discharges anyway and often when I don't use it for a long time I find the safepal totally discharged! I think this should be fixed. Do you happen to know if in the new s1 with the introduction of type-c they have also fixed the battery problem?

Now knowing that issue? 
Would you continue using SafePal hardware wallet?

legendary
Blackjack.fun
With my Realme 8 and with Redmi note 7t I have never had problems focusing the QR codes of the safepal, whether it is in the dark or in the light, most likely the problem derives from the smartphone camera lenses
I use the Xiaomi POCO M4 Pro and it doesn't really focus when my smartphone camera lens is reflected in the light from the safepal screen.
but not a serious problem.

I don't think however that they have slackened interest in the project, I see the community quite active
You're probably right, but I'm wondering why instead of releasing the S2, they keep changing their logo instead [refer to taufik123's post]? At this point, I refuse to accept it has anything to do with chip shortages in the past year or two!
- IIRC, when they first mentioned about S2, the S1 wallets that were being sold at the time didn't even have their previous logo on them (I believe this is the third one since that announcement).

I don't think it's because of the chip shortages there have been during the covid period, I could understand it was only for a short time but they are dragging their feet here. I think they are not going to create a new S2 for the moment and will focus on S1 but in my opinion they are doing it in the wrong way
The lack of chips may just be an excuse to delay the production of S2, they are indeed still focused on developing S1 as much as possible, especially on the firmware upgrade and extension features that have features to switch with Metamask.

And guess what else is new from Safepal besides the logo?
The cardboard design is also new with a new logo, and currently, the newest safepal doesn't use a mini USB port, but has been upgraded to USB-C.

https://twitter.com/JoshRoomsburg/status/1607600541793947648

have never encountered problems with scanning the QR codes displayed on the Safepal HW, it is true that it is very bright but I have never had problems with my smartphone scanning them, I believe that more than a Safepal problem it is a problem with some smartphones that do not focus the images well.
Only a problem with some of my smartphone cameras at night or in the dark, but not on other smartphones. for scanning the QR Code during the day while walking normally.

With my Realme 8 and with Redmi note 7t I have never had problems focusing the QR codes of the safepal, whether it is in the dark or in the light, most likely the problem derives from the smartphone camera lenses

I don't think however that they have slackened interest in the project, I see the community quite active
You're probably right, but I'm wondering why instead of releasing the S2, they keep changing their logo instead [refer to taufik123's post]? At this point, I refuse to accept it has anything to do with chip shortages in the past year or two!
- IIRC, when they first mentioned about S2, the S1 wallets that were being sold at the time didn't even have their previous logo on them (I believe this is the third one since that announcement).

I don't think it's because of the chip shortages there have been during the covid period, I could understand it was only for a short time but they are dragging their feet here. i think they are not going to create a new S2 for the moment and will focus on S1 but in my opinion they are doing it in the wrong way
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 3406
Crypto Swap Exchange

legendary
Blackjack.fun
have never encountered problems with scanning the QR codes displayed on the Safepal HW, it is true that it is very bright but I have never had problems with my smartphone scanning them, I believe that more than a Safepal problem it is a problem with some smartphones that do not focus the images well.
Only a problem with some of my smartphone cameras at night or in the dark, but not on other smartphones. for scanning the QR Code during the day while walking normally.

And about some of the updates to the blockchain network that safepal continues to do, making them not focus on the convenience of hardware wallet users and there are no rewards like at the beginning of safepal appearing.

As for the updates, you are absolutely right, they only focused on adding new blockchains to attract as many customers as possible
For now, safepal has made several updates to the use of the Chrome, Mozilla, and Edge Browser Extensions which will make it easier for safepal wallet users to access their wallet via a desktop browser. I'm using Mozilla firefox and it runs smoothly, just import and then create a password unlock the wallet, then scan with safepal app on mobile. quite easy.

Safepal also updated its logo and after several updates and firmware updates, I didn't find any airdrops that would benefit SFP and hardware swallow holders. They only focus on adding new blockchain networks. Even though the community remains active, there is no commensurate reward for the holders.

Related to reading barcodes which take quite a long time due to the brightness of the safepal screen which cannot be read by my cellphone camera, using acetate paper can be a good solution to reduce a little light, it works quite well.

have never encountered problems with scanning the QR codes displayed on the Safepal HW, it is true that it is very bright but I have never had problems with my smartphone scanning them, I believe that more than a Safepal problem it is a problem with some smartphones that do not focus the images well. As for the updates, you are absolutely right, they only focused on adding new blockchains to attract as many customers as possible
legendary
Blackjack.fun
The following things might come in handy:

• If S1 doesn't have a feature to reduce screen brightness, you can try placing a slightly darker acetate paper in front of it to diffuse the light that's coming out of it [it's more useful in darker rooms].
  • When you want to scan the QR Code, make sure there's more/enough light in the background [it'll be easier for the lenses to focus].

you are absolutely right, this is really a bad point against safepal, more than a year without major firmware update, maybe they didn't find any bugs? or maybe they focused more on the marketing side by inserting new blockchains? I really don't know how to answer you. I don't think however that they have slackened interest in the project, I see the community quite active
Safepal also updated its logo and after several updates and firmware updates, I didn't find any airdrops that would benefit SFP and hardware swallow holders. They only focus on adding new blockchain networks. Even though the community remains active, there is no commensurate reward for the holders.

Related to reading barcodes which take quite a long time due to the brightness of the safepal screen which cannot be read by my cellphone camera, using acetate paper can be a good solution to reduce a little light, it works quite well.
December 27, 2022, 11:17:30 AM
on the hardware side, I can't think of any particular updates only the multi-account and web extension for desktop browsers
Despite knowing that it's not the best HW out there, I was still surprised that it didn't have a single major firmware update in the past year or so [judging by the following "firmware upgrade history" page, it appears that instead of improving the functionality of the device in question, SafePal developers prefer adding support for more shitcoins (SMH)].

when I want to enter my wallet the QR Code scanning process is quite tricky, it requires patience because it cannot move at all. maybe also because of the smartphone camera that I use, there is a slight reflection when exposed to light from the safepal hardware screen. It took about 10 minutes to get in.
https://i.postimg.cc/WpZ76Kbz/photo-2022-12-23-21-50-22.jpg

• If S1 doesn't have a feature to reduce screen brightness, you can try placing a slightly darker acetate paper in front of it to diffuse the light that's coming out of it [it's more useful in darker rooms].
  • When you want to scan the QR Code, make sure there's more/enough light in the background [it'll be easier for the lenses to focus].

you are absolutely right, this is really a bad point against safepal, more than a year without major firmware update, maybe they didn't find any bugs? or maybe they focused more on the marketing side by inserting new blockchains? I really don't know how to answer you. I don't think however that they have slackened interest in the project, I see the community quite active
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 3406
Crypto Swap Exchange
December 26, 2022, 03:00:57 PM
on the hardware side, I can't think of any particular updates only the multi-account and web extension for desktop browsers
Despite knowing that it's not the best HW out there, I was still surprised that it didn't have a single major firmware update in the past year or so [judging by the following "firmware upgrade history" page, it appears that instead of improving the functionality of the device in question, SafePal developers prefer adding support for more shitcoins (SMH)].

when I want to enter my wallet the QR Code scanning process is quite tricky, it requires patience because it cannot move at all. maybe also because of the smartphone camera that I use, there is a slight reflection when exposed to light from the safepal hardware screen. It took about 10 minutes to get in.
https://i.postimg.cc/WpZ76Kbz/photo-2022-12-23-21-50-22.jpg

December 23, 2022, 05:06:41 PM
Currently, safepal is no longer providing airdrops like at the beginning of the release. No airdrop really pays off. now only available Gift Box (beta).

it is very strange that it asks you to scan 61 qr codes, for me personally they have never gone beyond 8 qr codes, however the airdrop was only when they launched their token, and then a few other partnerships with other projects. I bought safepal about two years ago and so far never had any problems honestly, not even on qr code scans. thank you for your feedback
legendary
Blackjack.fun
December 23, 2022, 11:09:57 AM
-snip-
however many other multicoin wallets also do airdrop. so the topic doesn't necessarily have to be filled with praise towards safepal but also with talking about the problems. every opinion is always well accepted by me

Currently, safepal is no longer providing airdrops like at the beginning of the release. No airdrop really pays off. now only available Gift Box (beta).

I am an old SafePal user and so far using the SafePal hardware wallet there are not many problems, only when I want to enter my wallet the QR Code scanning process is quite tricky, it requires patience because it cannot move at all. maybe also because of the smartphone camera that I use, there is a slight reflection when exposed to light from the safepal hardware screen. It took about 10 minutes to get in.

I also did the latest firmware upgrade for 12/12/2022
Code:
*SafePal S1 V1.0.45
  Released Date: 2022/12/12

- Supported TON
- Supported LUNA(Terra 2.0) DApps

There are also quite a lot of networks currently available, there are around 37 networks support the safepal hardware wallet.
December 22, 2022, 06:34:51 PM
For and against open-source?

Open-source is generally better than closed-source, but not necessarily more secure. Open-source allows those who know what they are doing to inspect the codebase. If you can't do that yourself, you can have some comfort in the fact that someone else probably has. This is the case with popular open-source projects. But if we are talking about an unknown and unpopular open-source project, you can't really know who has taken the time to look at the code.

Open-source is a window that you can look through and see what is inside. There are no blinds preventing you to look.   
Closed-source is a window with blinds and you can't see anything inside.

Illegal, immoral, wrong, and dubious activities can take place in both types of apartments. Those that have no blinds on the windows and those that do. When there are no obstacles blocking the vision, it is much easier to see what is happening, right? But you still need to recognize the activities to understand something wrong is happening. In other words, you need to understand how a piece of code works to understand what is not supposed to be there or how it's supposed to look. If you see a pile of white powder through the window with no blinds and you think it's powdered sugar, what good does it do that the windows have no blinds when the wrong set of eyes are looking in? What good does it do if you don't realize the code has a backdoor when you can't understand it.

Open-source allows you to verify the content (good or bad).
Closed-source doesn't allow you to verify anything. It can be good or bad, but you will never know and you are stuck trusting what the developers tell you. 

thanks for the exhaustive explanation, I already knew the difference between open source and closed source, however for those like me who don't know anything about programming codes, they still have to rely on information taken from others, but whoever tells me that this person declares that the open one is it clean at the source? who gives me this security? in the end you have to rely on someone. by that it doesn't mean that closed source is more reliable

the safepal team had made several airdrops of both their SFP token and others they added almost all the chains present how: solana, fantom, polygon, avax, heco, kcc, arbitrum, near, songbird and many others
I would never waste a single satoshi on buying Safepal wallet, and this is all worthless shitcoins and buying hardware wallet just to get few bucks from some airdrops is not very smart, especially if they are asking for any kind of identity verification.
No need to repeat ourselves about Safepal wallet, just read everything that is written in this topic and know that Safepal has serious flaws in their design.
Kraken team wrote more about Safepal but we also discussed about that in forum so you can check that out:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/safepal-s1-wallet-have-serious-flaws-5317884

I respect your opinion, I opened this topic to do a little review about this product, I never did reseller or referral, however many other multicoin wallets also do airdrop. so the topic doesn't necessarily have to be filled with praise towards safepal but also with talking about the problems. every opinion is always well accepted by me
Pages:
Jump to: