Pages:
Author

Topic: scammed when selling bitcoins on ebay - page 2. (Read 10564 times)

Activity: 350
Merit: 250
April 16, 2012, 10:29:16 PM
When I worked @ ebay you could buy advertisements that aren't listings, so can still advertise your bitcoins for sale that come up in searches just it would happen offsite through a more trusted payment method.  I think they still offer ads.

You can also link paypal accounts to an ATM card that comes with virtual bank account, then drain the funds and get cash in hand before transfering any coins. If paypal freezes the account get a new VBA.
Activity: 2
Merit: 0
April 16, 2012, 10:24:17 PM
so glad i read this before i made the purchase tonight
Activity: 166
Merit: 100
April 16, 2012, 03:34:34 PM
Two separate instances. The Paypal one was a few years ago, back when I was still in high school. The mining game was a couple days ago. I gave up on the mine incident, since I had a good job to cover my losses. Even got a few Bitcoins with some of the pay and played the game again with a different wallet. Lost them all, but I'm fine with it because I lost fair and square. Maybe I'll head back soon.

The Paypal one though was too much to cover.

Funny how a person who isn't completely happy with everything is automatically trolling. I'm not here to cause trouble. I generally try to avoid that kind of thing.
Activity: 42
April 16, 2012, 03:26:16 PM
You have to be very careful when dealing with the trade of bitcoins for cash.

I would avoid this process as much as possible because there are a lot of shady people out there looking to steal everything and anything they can.

Just find some online services in which you can spread your wealth and everything should go a little smoother.

Once again i am sorry to hear that.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
April 16, 2012, 02:41:36 PM
Never use Paypal. They drew my account dry. My bank account. That I didn't give the info for. That I had my college savings in. Without me agreeing to the terms. Without me making an account.

As much as I despise Paypal and think they are bunch of money grubbing, lying assholes, gonna have to call bullshit on this one.

Yeah this troll account is "weird".  Previously he made this claim:

My wallet literally sent you its contents by itself and games started rapidly playing until my wallet on the site emptied. Anny chance of looking into what happened there? It looks like my wallet was stolen and sent to you, but I don't see what possible benefit that could have for whomever did it. That was kind of my paycheck for this month that I just got today. I have to wait another month to get groceries unless this gets solved.

Yes he is claiming that after depositing 0.01 BTC to the site somehow the site later pulled all the funds from his Bitcoin wallet and lost it. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002
April 16, 2012, 02:01:21 PM
Never use Paypal. They drew my account dry. My bank account. That I didn't give the info for. That I had my college savings in. Without me agreeing to the terms. Without me making an account.

As much as I despise Paypal and think they are bunch of money grubbing, lying assholes, gonna have to call bullshit on this one.

And 2.
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1000
April 16, 2012, 01:58:46 PM

Activity: 166
April 16, 2012, 01:31:12 PM

If I find the person who owns the site, he's screwed. Literally. I heard jail does that to you.
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
April 16, 2012, 01:22:43 AM
I know alot of sellers get around ebay/paypal by selling a coin or baseball card with free bitcoins included. You are only buying 1 penny or baseball card and getting free bitcoins in the process. Ship the Penny or baseball card with tracking and you can be as safe as you can selling stuff on ebay.

or not.  It takes a dedicated scammer about 0.00002 sec to work around that "protection".
Activity: 826
Merit: 500
April 16, 2012, 12:17:41 AM
I know alot of sellers get around ebay/paypal by selling a coin or baseball card with free bitcoins included. You are only buying 1 penny or baseball card and getting free bitcoins in the process. Ship the Penny or baseball card with tracking and you can be as safe as you can selling stuff on ebay.
Activity: 28
April 05, 2012, 07:04:13 PM
I sold $116 worth of BTC on eBay last month. After I sent the bitcoins, the buyer (in Hong Kong) initiated a chargeback, claiming that the charge was made without his consent. Another ebayer tried to warn me, but a little too late.

There's nothing I could do, and there's probably little you can do. PayPal will NOT side with you.

The only upside is that it was my first time being scammed after selling many many BTCs with a high premium on eBay. I won't keep selling them, though. Too much risk.

Sorry, dude. I sympathize with you.

That sucks.

I discovered bitmit.net earlier today, and although it wouldn't help you sell bitcoins, it was kind of a cool place.

They also had a escrow service, which is very useful.  I might sell some stuff there.

Sorry about your coins.  Another reason I need to remember to avoid paypal!
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
April 05, 2012, 06:06:10 PM
Not sure how Paypal manages to give the impression it is a secure banking system. They are not a bank, they don't fall under the kind of rules and regulations many people just assume must be in play with Paypal.

Don't have more in Paypal than you can deal with losing.
R-
Activity: 238
Pasta
April 05, 2012, 05:58:50 AM
If then user gave them a fake address and never get the check because of it is another matter.
If you're doing serious business why would you lie to them about your address in the first place?

Exactly. Most of the people complaining about PayPal are under the age of 18. They clearly state in their TOS that you must be older than 18 years old. If you are using a fake address, there is probably a good reason for it (read: BAD REASON), and that is why PayPal will limit your account.

Activity: 40
April 04, 2012, 10:23:15 PM
It's against paypal terms of service to trade bitcoin on there. Sad to say  you don't really have a case, I would just cut your loses and not use paypal/ebay in the future.
Activity: 56
April 01, 2012, 09:48:07 PM
ITT: Paypal is the devil! Hurr derr!

Roll Eyes
legendary
April 01, 2012, 11:02:36 AM
Paypal is a scam.

Exactly this. Paypal isn't slightly dodgy, it's not just that some people got on the wrong side of them, it's a long con to extract cash from people.

They have locked and kept the funds of a very large number of legitimate people including charity funds.

If you deal with paypal they will rob you. It's just a matter of time.

+1

They'll lock your account just for receiving too much money...

I wonder if they make more money from fees or from keeping funds.

Your post just shows the utter ignorance most people have about Paypal.

They don't keep the money. At most they freeze it for 180 days, in case they close the account. After those 180 days they just send a check with the account balance to the address that the user registered with them.
If then user gave them a fake address and never get the check because of it is another matter.
If you're doing serious business why would you lie to them about your address in the first place?
Activity: 4
April 01, 2012, 09:57:43 AM
Paypal is a scam.

Exactly this. Paypal isn't slightly dodgy, it's not just that some people got on the wrong side of them, it's a long con to extract cash from people.

They have locked and kept the funds of a very large number of legitimate people including charity funds.

If you deal with paypal they will rob you. It's just a matter of time.

+1

They'll lock your account just for receiving too much money...

I wonder if they make more money from fees or from keeping funds.
Activity: 775
Merit: 1000
March 31, 2012, 07:22:57 PM
good luck getting 51% of the copyrights and payment volume
none of them should be impossible but the price tag is ... challenging

Why buy when you can FORK?

I hereby present: PwnPal*
  • A commercial wrapper for Bitcoin.
  • Ridiculous fees.
  • Nominal customer service.
  • And one thing sure to put a smile on merchants' faces: no chargeback!

*If symptoms persist, please see your doctor.
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata
March 31, 2012, 06:07:47 PM
PayPal is not a scam.  You just have to play entirely by it's (sometimes extremely frustrating) rules.

Just like Bitcoin they have their protocol in place. The ones that don't follow the protocol get orphaned and rejected. Simple as that.

true, true, great words hmm, we should try a 51% on them ?
legendary
March 31, 2012, 01:49:51 PM
PayPal is not a scam.  You just have to play entirely by it's (sometimes extremely frustrating) rules.

Just like Bitcoin they have their protocol in place. The ones that don't follow the protocol get orphaned and rejected. Simple as that.
Pages:
Jump to: