Pages:
Author

Topic: scammed when selling bitcoins on ebay - page 3. (Read 10567 times)

R-
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
Pasta
March 31, 2012, 12:30:32 PM
Never EVER buy virtual currency on ebay!!
I think the moral of the story is ever SELL a virtual currency on eBay.

Robert
sd
Activity: 730
Merit: 500
March 31, 2012, 11:49:08 AM
Paypal is a scam.

Exactly this. Paypal isn't slightly dodgy, it's not just that some people got on the wrong side of them, it's a long con to extract cash from people.

They have locked and kept the funds of a very large number of legitimate people including charity funds.

If you deal with paypal they will rob you. It's just a matter of time.
Activity: 775
Merit: 1000
March 31, 2012, 11:36:12 AM
Isn't Paypal owned by Ebay, and Ebay owned/partly owned by the US Gov?

Bitcoin + (Ebay | Paypal) = playing with fire.

Individuals on the help lines might be very nice about Bitcoin burns, but I doubt that's the official policy.
R-
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
Pasta
March 31, 2012, 09:15:57 AM
PayPal is notorious for being easily duped when dealing with disputes.
Activity: 9
Merit: 0
March 30, 2012, 01:58:34 PM
isn't the record in the bitchain prove of delivery?
ofcourse he should have told you his bitcoinadress by "ebay mail"
Activity: 386
Merit: 250
March 30, 2012, 12:35:12 PM
Paperclips are not nearly transparent enough.  Any human that reviews your auction/sale will immediately see you're trying to bypass the rules.

The blu-ray (or other small tangible item) is much better because it moves the bitcoin to the secondary ("gift") position.  You're selling the small tangible item (not something silly like a paperclip) and makes the btc free.  If the scammer wants to dispute the sale he/she has to dispute the physical item.

Exactly.

If you've decided to take the risk and sell on eBay, then you may be better off using an inexpensive physical container for the Bitcoins such as:
CD / Floppy Disk / SD Card / USB Drive.
Activity: 56
March 26, 2012, 04:28:12 PM
I got suspended for selling paperclips with free bitcoins 2 days ago, and yes i sent the damn clips with a tracking number. They want all kind of documents to re-enable my account. I had only positive votes with them but the fees are killing me so i think i will pass doing something about it. They will get to know bitcoin in the end.
Ahh, so are you the guy that stole my paperclip idea? I've never seen it done before, so I thought I'd give it a try with 5BTC+Paperclip. About a week later a couple of auctions using the same stainless steel paperclip, and even copy/pasted text, showed up. Hilarious that I get to meet the guy that stole me idea. Cheesy

haha, the copyright is yours i just used it without change because they were perfect. Should start pouring paperclips or personal autographs on ebay with free bitcoins so they find out what the free market is. They trowed their TOS at me a few times without specifying clearly why the suspension, say it's a routine check.
Yeah, I actually only did that one auction with the paperclip, then stopped because I ended up getting scammed on it. I called up Paypal, and they were actually pretty cool about it. I figured it was a hacked Paypal/Ebay account that bought the coins from me to begin with, and he confirmed that.

I had a pretty good chat with him for 20 minutes wondering when they would support Bitcoins, and other forms of electronics goods. I told him that at the rate goods are becoming "digitalized", that Ebay/Paypal will be at an extreme loss if they don't join in on the market. If they can't protect Sellers, then they will end up selling elsewhere instead of Ebay. He agreed with me, released the funds ($50), and even gave me tips on selling electronic goods and Bitcoins on Ebay. Totally not bullshitting.

Dunno why everyone hates Paypal so much. If you call them up with this mentality:
"Hurr Derr, Bitcoinz are soo cool and hipster! Paypal sucks balls and you guise should give me my monies back or I'll call teh cyber police on yo bitch asses!!!!"

Then yeah, what comes around goes around.
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata
March 26, 2012, 05:48:49 AM
I got suspended for selling paperclips with free bitcoins 2 days ago, and yes i sent the damn clips with a tracking number. They want all kind of documents to re-enable my account. I had only positive votes with them but the fees are killing me so i think i will pass doing something about it. They will get to know bitcoin in the end.
Ahh, so are you the guy that stole my paperclip idea? I've never seen it done before, so I thought I'd give it a try with 5BTC+Paperclip. About a week later a couple of auctions using the same stainless steel paperclip, and even copy/pasted text, showed up. Hilarious that I get to meet the guy that stole me idea. Cheesy

haha, the copyright is yours i just used it without change because they were perfect. Should start pouring paperclips or personal autographs on ebay with free bitcoins so they find out what the free market is. They trowed their TOS at me a few times without specifying clearly why the suspension, say it's a routine check.
Activity: 322
Merit: 250
We are bees, and we hate you.
March 26, 2012, 03:41:04 AM
One time, in the past, I tried to buy New Zealand on ebay... I was outbid very quickly...
Activity: 70
Merit: 12
March 26, 2012, 03:33:48 AM
Never EVER buy virtual currency on ebay!!
Activity: 56
March 26, 2012, 01:34:12 AM
legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1032
March 25, 2012, 11:30:09 PM
The trick to selling bitcoins on eBay is to sell a physical product (that you can track) and slip-in a paper bitcoin(s) at no charge.  Like this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=160771756692

That way you have ammunition if buyer disputes/charges-back.

The buyer will file a item-not-as-described, and eBay will tell them to mail back the item. When the buyer mails back a package with a tracking number showing something was returned, regardless of whether they returned an empty box, a rock, or a piece of paper with a now-empty bitcoin address, the scam buyer gets their refund.
legendary
Activity: 924
Merit: 1004
Firstbits: 1pirata
March 25, 2012, 09:58:54 PM
donator
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079
Gerald Davis
March 25, 2012, 10:16:28 AM
blablahblah your mean blablahblah

well at least your name fits.
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002
March 25, 2012, 09:51:51 AM
Your wrong dude. I'm Portuguese... From Portugal, one of the most miserable countries in the world. loool
Call me one of the PIG's :p

Also, I've bought bitcoins with paypal several times on this forum, and just ask someone who sold those bitcoins to me if I ever scammed them...

Demographics ain't got shit to do with it. If they did you'd have more chance to be scammed by me than by someone from the US...

But I digress... It's my country who is bankrupted after all, not me. I can proudly say that I make a good amount of money.

Activity: 18
March 25, 2012, 06:52:29 AM
is it true, that paypal converts € in BTC?
and if so, that they restrict the amount exchanged?
I am aware of no Paypal "conversion" for Bitcoins.

In fact, as far as I am aware, Paypal itself avoids dealing with Bitcoins wherever possible.
Activity: 5
March 23, 2012, 11:07:41 AM
there are way to many people like that out there. Be careful
Activity: 7
March 23, 2012, 10:54:55 AM
I sold $116 worth of BTC on eBay last month. After I sent the bitcoins, the buyer (in Hong Kong) initiated a chargeback, claiming that the charge was made without his consent. Another ebayer tried to warn me, but a little too late.

There's nothing I could do, and there's probably little you can do. PayPal will NOT side with you.

The only upside is that it was my first time being scammed after selling many many BTCs with a high premium on eBay. I won't keep selling them, though. Too much risk.

Sorry, dude. I sympathize with you.

You really sold BTC via a process (PP) which provides for charge-backs?   Did you do any research at all?
legendary
Activity: 1260
March 11, 2012, 11:19:28 PM
With regard do personal details of a scammer: Publication of their personal data is illegal, after all it is personal data. Some person claiming the person to be a scammer doesn't make them one. This other person could perhaps claim the same. Just hearing one side of a story is always just part of the story.

Yeah, no... what on earth makes you think it's illegal to post personal information?  It drives me crazy when people claim things are illegal and obviously have no idea/a single clue about the law.  Unless that data was obtained through some already illegal or illicit means, it's not illegal to disclose it (there are exceptions, such as if it is stipulated in a contract) - in the case of Fleabay or PayPal, the data is provided to you voluntarily and thus is not covered under any invasion of privacy laws.  

Now, depending what you include WITH that information, such as narration, false facts, etc... that could run a foul of several laws.  But if you are merely providing established facts through data/information obtained legally and with the consent of the party in question, there is nothing illegal about posting it publicly.  Or, alternately, you could include false facts and complete bullshit and claim it's hypothetical or a speculative piece and you'd be fairly well covered.
legendary
Activity: 873
March 11, 2012, 11:01:39 PM
the buyer could open a ISNAD case against you and most probably win.

had to look up ISNAD: item significantly not as described.  like this: https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Disputes-and-claims/Item-quot-Not-as-described-quot-when-not-even-delivered-yet/td-p/419709
Pages:
Jump to: