Pages:
Author

Topic: Schumer: It’s time to go after the 3-D printable guns - page 4. (Read 4397 times)

legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
Nothing to be considered easy or reliable, amateurs have been struggling with various issues on rocket motors and so forth for decades.  And the rpg or "bazooka" is far more specialized and dangerous to the operator.  No one should ever try to do that with anything home made.  Actual equipment, before the rocket even begins to leave the sleeve, the burn is over.  If not, it's right in your face...

That's why you find a way to remotely set it off so it doesn't blow up in your face.

"A good rule for rocket experimenters to follow is this: always assume that it will explode."
--Astronautics Magazine, 1937

Wise words Tongue
legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1386
I think what will truly scare the living shit out of people is if someone manages to successfully 3D print a one shot rocket launcher or something.
Um. I can tell you how to do that without a 3d printer.

The knowledge of how to make a rocket motor is easy to acquire, and a launcher is just a tube with an ignition system.

Now, making something as dangerous as an RPG? That's more difficult. But a simple rocket launcher is kitchen science.
Nothing to be considered easy or reliable, amateurs have been struggling with various issues on rocket motors and so forth for decades.  And the rpg or "bazooka" is far more specialized and dangerous to the operator.  No one should ever try to do that with anything home made.  Actual equipment, before the rocket even begins to leave the sleeve, the burn is over.  If not, it's right in your face...

In fact, the "3d printed gun" presents similar problems to the operator.  Who exactly says it can't come apart when fired?  Where are the engineering calculations and the proof of concept tests?  Would you want to be at a firing range and have someone take the bench next to you with one of those?  Not I....
legendary
Never mind then! I stand corrected! Tongue
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
I think what will truly scare the living shit out of people is if someone manages to successfully 3D print a one shot rocket launcher or something.
Um. I can tell you how to do that without a 3d printer.

The knowledge of how to make a rocket motor is easy to acquire, and a launcher is just a tube with an ignition system.

Now, making something as dangerous as an RPG? That's more difficult. But a simple rocket launcher is kitchen science.
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035

That's, uh, actually extremely easy. All you are printing is a tube, a battery holder, and a place to attach wires to launch the rocket. Even rockets are easy, as long as you have the chemical propellant and explosives. Guided rockets, that's a different story.
legendary
So how do you assign 'value' to something, if when you wake up you have another one?
That plastic wire ain't free, yo.
legendary
That is CLEARLY just a not-so-cleverly disguised front muzzle part of a blunderbuss. Stop spreading 3D printable gun components!
Another curious thing about three d printed stuff, it's like you show it to someone, if they like it you just let them keep it.  The stuff doesn't seem to have value like stuff you bought.  Because you just set another one to print before going to bed at night. Like the blunderbu---oops, ah...yeah...you know...the Anti-Gore Showerhead, it will run a couple of hours, but does not need to be watched or checked up on.

So how do you assign 'value' to something, if when you wake up you have another one?
legendary
That is CLEARLY just a not-so-cleverly disguised front muzzle part of a blunderbuss. Stop spreading 3D printable gun components!

Another handy dandy 3d printable item.  In the script, these were shipped to millions.  Think of the cost savings if everyone just printed them in their garage!  All the extra beer money!

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:23457

A rather time/period-appropriate face for the blunderbuss, too.

Another handy dandy 3d printable item.  In the script, these were shipped to millions.  Think of the cost savings if everyone just printed them in their garage!  All the extra beer money!

Actually, I think that would have cut into people's beer money. I somehow doubt V sent them all COD. Cheesy

Still, very cool.
legendary

legendary

I'm caught! Yes, my dream is for every home to have blunderbuss weaponry disguised as showerheads. 

LOL...
legendary
Neat!

My showerhead works fine, though.
legendary
Not the gun, the printing technology. It will be almost as hard to suppress as filesharing.
My little 3d printer hasn't done any firearms yet, but it certainly has made some interesting little things.  I like to make stuff that has several parts in a single pass.  Something about that is fundamentally interesting, as opposed to making parts and putting them together.

here's one design I've been mulling over, blue as a color simply will not do, though:

http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:47541

By printing it yourself, you could defeat the low flow Al Gore Save the World Miserable Low Flow Showerhead (yes, he was responsible for these atrocities along with the nasty Internet).  You, too could have a showerhead that shot water like a firehose.

This is the future that awaits those who make their own cool stuff, instead of buying Gubbermint Approved Showerheads From Hell.  

Only one small example of the revolution that can be created by makers.  Or you could Embrace the Misery of the Collective of Low Flow Dribbling Showerheads and Save the World With Al.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_XEZ7EY8hU
legendary
Isn't the point of a gun to deter crime, letting people know not to screw with you, with shooting them being the last resort? ....
No!

Guns are horrible and scary!  They make ordinary people into criminals!  They make big bangy noises and those big rifles are painted black!  They senselessly kill people.  The really scary ones they have sort of pistol grip thingies and stuff that folds back and things that you put in that have bullets!  Then they can shoot the bullets at people!  It's making me cry just thinking about it and I'm scared!  So I'm going to hide in the closet.  Please tell me when it's safe to come out?
You now have meal powder / black powder. It is crappy gunpowder, but it will work.
Smokes like a bitch when it goes off, too. Nitrocellulose is a little more difficult (and dangerous!) to make, but it's a much better product.

Both, as I said, can be touched off with a small electrical spark.

At this point, I think it would be way easier and more effective (and likely lethal) to just make a potato gun out of PVC and carburator cleaner spray.
Kinda hard to conceal, though.

Isn't the point of a gun to deter crime, letting people know not to screw with you, with shooting them being the last resort? Lugging a 6' tall potato cannon strapped to your back is a pretty good "don't fuck with me"  Grin
Open carry protects those who carry, who can be seen to be armed. Concealed carry protects everyone, even those who choose not to go armed, because anyone could be packing.

Plus, a spud gun would be more use as a club, in most defensive situations. Unless you're going to ask the mugger to wait while you fill the blast chamber? Wink
legendary
You now have meal powder / black powder. It is crappy gunpowder, but it will work.
Smokes like a bitch when it goes off, too. Nitrocellulose is a little more difficult (and dangerous!) to make, but it's a much better product.

At this point, I think it would be way easier and more effective (and likely lethal) to just make a potato gun out of PVC and carburator cleaner spray.

Isn't the point of a gun to deter crime, letting people know not to screw with you, with shooting them being the last resort? Lugging a 6' tall potato cannon strapped to your back is a pretty good "don't fuck with me"  Grin

legendary

Pages:
Jump to: