Author

Topic: Scientific proof that God exists? - page 408. (Read 845565 times)

legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1020
November 05, 2014, 07:39:06 PM
first case....... chessplaying ghosts
Yes. Correspondence with the dead proven by Prof. Eisenbeiss.

Who from the non-god position will correlate the simplest explanation with the observations?
Two guys played a chess game? That is all the article outlines. One of the guys claims it was not him playing chess, but a dead person. There is nothing beyond that to examine. Not only is that not proof it is not evidence either. It is a claim.

You have a point there. Even if there were a real other party (the dead person) playing, maybe it was an alien or demon using mind control.

Smiley
Perhaps, but there is no evidence for that. The point is this:

Those explanations are needlessly complicated. The simplest explanation is that the personality of the deceased person has persisted and is able to communicate the information that was receievd.

I disagree.  It is not the simplest explanation as it invokes additional, unnecessary assumptions.  Specifically, in addition to the assumption that the 'psychic' is telling the truth, it introduces the assumption that we should ignore all of the hundreds of times that people have claimed to perform such "supernatural" abilities but have failed or have conclusively been found to be liars.  Since we do have evidence that others who have made similar claims have either failed to prove their claims or have been proven outright liars, we only need to introduce one assumption to reach a conclusion, i.e. that the supposed "psychic" is a liar.

Hey the joint, this is my reply to you Smiley

A working explanation must be powerful enough to explain all of the observations (Salient Points) as they are collateral assumptions. It is not enough that an explanation is simple, it must also account for the facts.

I'm not sure what you're getting at here.  All of that reinforces exactly what I said.  The simplest explanation that explains all of the facts without introducing additional unverifiable assumptions is that he is a liar.  Claiming otherwise introduces additional 'facts' that can't be accounted for, i.e. assumptions.
Vod
legendary
Activity: 3668
Merit: 3010
Licking my boob since 1970
November 05, 2014, 07:32:51 PM
I notice no one can refute my proof that the FSM exists.   Undecided

Just did it, above your post here ^^^.

Smiley

I provided proof the FSM exists.  You claim I confused him with another god, which I didn't.  There can be no other god than the FSM, according to you.

My proof still stands.  Smiley

No proof when the three of us disagree.  Smiley

lol.  You think proof doesn't exist because you will it?   Roll Eyes

I've proved the FSM exists in one post.  In over 100 120 pages, you couldn't prove your god exists.  I think you've been schooled.    Wink
legendary
November 05, 2014, 07:32:13 PM

...thereby further implying that changing the method by which you interpret the Universe, knowledge will be more readily available to us.

Accordingly, you better get another cup of coffee to get focused enough to keep up with me here Wink

The science that uses the "if"s, when promoted as truth, shows that the promoter is either ignorant, or a propagandist. Play with the meanings of words if you want. But stay focused on the point.

I got a glass of milk this time. But I'll probably go back to coffee when the milk is gone.

Smiley

Science as a method doesn't use ifs.  Ever.  We always know exactly what to do next.

Again, you are talking about science in the context of being a body of knowledge, i.e. the conclusions, and even then you're really stretching it.  There's something called a margin-of-error in science, and it's always utilized.  And for that very reason, we never say "prove" in science, and even if we do, there's an unspoken "within such-and-such margin-of-error" footnote attached to it.  Specifically, the reason we can never say "prove" is because we would need to evidence all cases prior to our observations and also all cases that ever could arise in the future.

The problem is that religions are faith-based systems.  I'm not necessarily saying faith is the problem, but in this debate, it's a huge problem for you and your argument.  You're dissing science because you're essentially complaining that one can always formulate more questions after a scientific conclusion, even with something as seemingly concrete as a scientific law (e.g. "Is it possible that Universal laws can change over time?").  But, in contrast, you defer to and advocate for a religious view (by the way, you invoke a false dichotomy, here -- a fallacy in its own right) by basically claiming that it gives you all the answers so that you don't need to ask any more questions.

And so, getting to the root of your problem, you completely gloss over the relationship between faith and reason, where one uses evidence to justify faithfulness.  Accordingly, even with faith, you depend on reason and evidence, and by undermining an inductive process like the scientific method, you are undermining your own inductive reasoning that leads you to live with a religious world view.

Here, I'll defer to the Bible, and remind you that Jesus advised to have faith "the size of a mustard seed."  And, as you know, while capable of growing, mustard seeds are very, very small.
legendary
Activity: 3906
Merit: 1373
November 05, 2014, 07:30:52 PM

Smiley

I provided proof the FSM exists.  You claim I confused him with another god, which I didn't.  There can be no other god than the FSM, according to you.

No proof when the three of us disagree.  Smiley
Activity: 546
Merit: 500
November 05, 2014, 07:30:26 PM
first case....... chessplaying ghosts
Yes. Correspondence with the dead proven by Prof. Eisenbeiss.

Who from the non-god position will correlate the simplest explanation with the observations?
Two guys played a chess game? That is all the article outlines. One of the guys claims it was not him playing chess, but a dead person. There is nothing beyond that to examine. Not only is that not proof it is not evidence either. It is a claim.

You have a point there. Even if there were a real other party (the dead person) playing, maybe it was an alien or demon using mind control.

Smiley
Perhaps, but there is no evidence for that. The point is this:

Those explanations are needlessly complicated. The simplest explanation is that the personality of the deceased person has persisted and is able to communicate the information that was receievd.

I disagree.  It is not the simplest explanation as it invokes additional, unnecessary assumptions.  Specifically, in addition to the assumption that the 'psychic' is telling the truth, it introduces the assumption that we should ignore all of the hundreds of times that people have claimed to perform such "supernatural" abilities but have failed or have conclusively been found to be liars.  Since we do have evidence that others who have made similar claims have either failed to prove their claims or have been proven outright liars, we only need to introduce one assumption to reach a conclusion, i.e. that the supposed "psychic" is a liar.

Hey the joint, this is my reply to you Smiley

A working explanation must be powerful enough to explain all of the observations (Salient Points) as they are collateral assumptions. It is not enough that an explanation is simple, it must also account for the facts.
Vod
legendary
November 05, 2014, 07:29:00 PM

Smiley

I provided proof the FSM exists.  You claim I confused him with another god, which I didn't.  There can be no other god than the FSM, according to you.

legendary
November 05, 2014, 07:27:11 PM

Smiley

EDIT: Got another cup of coffee.
Vod
legendary
November 05, 2014, 07:26:03 PM
I notice no one can refute my proof that the FSM exists.   Undecided
legendary
November 05, 2014, 07:20:55 PM
I got a glass of milk this time. But I'll probably go back to coffee when the milk is gone.

Milk eh?  Good for you.

The FSM states he will make his body available for nourishment.  I had pasta for lunch.  That proves he exists.  Since there can be only one god, according to you, that means your god cannot exist.

You mistake the devil for the FSM.  Smiley

There is no devil - the FSM isn't weak and wouldn't allow it.   Smiley

Now bl4kjaguar would suggest that you are on his side - no hierarchy.  Smiley
November 05, 2014, 07:18:48 PM
To believe in a god you need to abandon general reality and focus on your own.

When we talk about the material world, that is actually a philosophical concept, so in the same way, if I say that 'reality is spiritual', that is also a philosophical concept, and reality itself is not a concept.

"You cannot deny the experiences of others."
Vod
legendary
November 05, 2014, 07:18:26 PM

Milk eh?  Good for you.

The FSM states he will make his body available for nourishment.  I had pasta for lunch.  That proves he exists.  Since there can be only one god, according to you, that means your god cannot exist.

There is no devil - the FSM isn't weak and wouldn't allow it.   Smiley
legendary
November 05, 2014, 07:17:02 PM
Now you are trying to say that there are more gods than One.   Smiley

Hey, if you believe in one, you have to believe in all of them.  Or you are a hypocrite.

Simply stated, God is the Boss of everything that exists in this universe.

The universe in your mind.  Your god has no power outside of your mind.

Vod, out of curiosity, do you allow for the following possibilities?

1) There may be one God and there may be people who have gained legitimate and true insight into the existence of God, but due to the existence of many civilizations spanning vast periods of time, in different parts of the world, and with their own genetic and cultural differences and influences, there have resulted countless contradictory interpretations of God?  Or, more simply put, do you allow the possibility that people fucked up the interpretation of something actual?

2) Stemming from #1, that there may be some aspects of the Bible that are true and some that aren't?  Here, I'm speaking to the spiritual aspects of the Bible, and not just something like "Did so-and-so exist."

3) That God may exist, but that those with malintent and in a position of power intentionally skewed the truth to control others (rather than just making the whole thing up)?

And, if I had to guess your response, I'd imagine it to be something like, "No, because now we have the scientific method to test for such claims, and we have no evidence for them."
legendary
November 05, 2014, 07:16:47 PM

Milk eh?  Good for you.

Vod
legendary
November 05, 2014, 07:12:32 PM

Milk eh?  Good for you.

November 05, 2014, 07:12:18 PM
And also,

"belief in all gods" is not the same as "belief in god by any name".
November 05, 2014, 07:08:58 PM
Pay your debts and we'll chat further, thief.

Your accusation is unfounded because insolvency is not theft.

You do not deny this, so you must admit it.
legendary
November 05, 2014, 07:07:59 PM

...thereby further implying that changing the method by which you interpret the Universe, knowledge will be more readily available to us.

Accordingly, you better get another cup of coffee to get focused enough to keep up with me here Wink

The science that uses the "if"s, when promoted as truth, shows that the promoter is either ignorant, or a propagandist. Play with the meanings of words if you want. But stay focused on the point.

Smiley
Vod
legendary
November 05, 2014, 07:05:36 PM
You are not the mod of this thread. And insolvency is not theft.

You cannot back up anything that you say in this thread. Prove me wrong?

Wink

If we were equal, I would answer your question.  But you are nothing more than a petty thief, so your posts mean nothing to me.

Pay your debts, and I will respect you as a person again.   Right now you have the same amount of respect I give the forum idiot, dank.

Ah, so your respect for me determines the truth value of what I say to you?

Exactly.  Lie to me once, and I won't believe anything else you say.  That's a main reason I'm such a good scam buster.

Pay your debts and we'll chat further, thief.
November 05, 2014, 07:04:21 PM

Wink

If we were equal, I would answer your question.  But you are nothing more than a petty thief, so your posts mean nothing to me.

Pay your debts, and I will respect you as a person again.   Right now you have the same amount of respect I give the forum idiot, dank.

Ah, so your respect for me determines the truth value of what I say to you?
Vod
legendary
November 05, 2014, 07:02:57 PM

Wink

Jump to: