Pages:
Author

Topic: [SDC] ShadowCash | Welcome to the UMBRA - page 37. (Read 1289635 times)

Activity: 248
Merit: 250
September 19, 2016, 07:28:43 PM
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1612312.new#new
he should post on the Umbra market place :-)
legendary
Activity: 1214
Merit: 1000
Never compromise your standards!
September 19, 2016, 03:53:47 PM
Issue with 2FA is that you are forcing people to go with Google, second, people who travel past their cellphone area code with surcharges, and I found it caused me grief when I traveled abroad.
Also 2FA security has caused security hacks in the US where some folks called the cell provider of the target victim as a provider rep and got the sim card and now had full access.

Completely agree. It just isn't a benefit when used on a private wallet which should already be 100% secure. It could easily cause problems if you lose your phone, or don't have it with you.
Activity: 248
September 19, 2016, 03:47:32 PM
Issue with 2FA is that you are forcing people to go with Google, second, people who travel past their cellphone area code with surcharges, and I found it caused me grief when I traveled abroad.
Also 2FA security has caused security hacks in the US where some folks called the cell provider of the target victim as a provider rep and got the sim card and now had full access.
legendary
Activity: 1456
September 19, 2016, 03:02:26 PM
code: 2FA has its use cases, that's certainly true. But the 2FA as vTorrent provides has no real security benefits.

Cool.

This is a live generation 1 release. Imagine how secure generation 10 will be.

Let's support it and get momentum behind improving it. At some point it will become so easy for the average Joe to use that my great grandmother could use it; and so secure my bank manger wished their bank could provide something as good.

Please vote and pass the word around so we can get its importance over the long-term bumped.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.16300175
Activity: 624
September 19, 2016, 01:44:50 PM
code: A true 2FA method would require you to also include a challenge that contains the amount and the receiver. Even that system has its weaknesses but it is definitely not a major improvement.
September 19, 2016, 01:42:37 PM
code: 2FA has its use cases, that's certainly true. But the 2FA as vTorrent provides has no real security benefits.
Activity: 259
September 19, 2016, 01:40:26 PM
@ up

I dont agree. Is very easy have 2FA on SECOND device like smartfon so you dont have 2FA app on the same hardware like laptop (usually offline but sometimes needed update wallets, synchro blockchain) with wallets. And its very big upgrade your protection.
As was said, you would rely on 3rd party and that is not a good idea.
Activity: 882
Merit: 500
September 19, 2016, 01:35:10 PM
@ up

I dont agree. Is very easy have 2FA on SECOND device like smartfon so you dont have 2FA app on the same hardware like laptop (usually offline but sometimes needed update wallets, synchro blockchain) with wallets. And its very big upgrade your protection.
legendary
September 19, 2016, 01:26:47 PM
dadon: That looks a lot like our old wallet :stuck_out_tongue:

I am curious to know why details about in wallet 2FA security features have been removed?  

Several months ago SDC people lost coins because their computers were hacked and they had coins stolen. Coins which were likely dumped on exchanges.

So what's wrong with highlighting that wallets can get a great security feature like 2FA?

You should always encrypt your wallet, and never download anything you don't trust 100% to a computer where you store coins.

That said, this hack had nothing to do with SDC. If the wallets were properly encrypted, the coin's couldn't have been stolen.

2FA works well for accessing secure online accounts, but it doesn't make much sense for a wallet that is in your control. I personally wouldn't want a 3rd party involved in securing my funds. It essentially takes the decentralization out of it. Like storing your money in a bank. If you want maximum security, you can always store your coins offline.

Hold on a second...this is about encrypting the local wallet with its own decentralised 2FA service.

It's an absolute genius of a process that only the user controls. There are no third parties (unless you count Google Authentication as a third party, even though Google doesn't get involved)

Google Authentication is absolutely a 3rd party app. You are not completely in control if you depend on authentication from another source.

I keep most of my wallets on offline laptops, and those have at least 4 backups on USB drives.

It makes sense using 2FA on Coinbase, or other online accounts, but it doesn't make any sense to use it on a wallet completely under your control.

What is needed is more education on keeping your wallets safe. More people have lost money keeping coins on an exchange. 
Activity: 503
Merit: 500
September 19, 2016, 01:08:34 PM

You should always encrypt your wallet, and never download anything you don't trust 100% to a computer where you store coins.

That said, this hack had nothing to do with SDC. If the wallets were properly encrypted, the coin's couldn't have been stolen.

2FA works well for accessing secure online accounts, but it doesn't make much sense for a wallet that is in your control. I personally wouldn't want a 3rd party involved in securing my funds. It essentially takes the decentralization out of it. Like storing your money in a bank. If you want maximum security, you can always store your coins offline.

Absolutely! The biggest personal theft I'm aware of involved a fake wallet downloaded from a corrupted link.

Machines are cheap, most of us probably own several coins so you can dedicate a machine to all of them, get rid of the browsers and e-mail, lock it down, back it up, etc. Even if someone steals the machine, as long as you are backed up and encrypted you can be up and running with the coins moved to new addresses before they figure out how to turn the damned thing on. Don't let the bastards win!
September 19, 2016, 01:03:06 PM
code: coins101, it doesn't really help a thing to have 2FA in-wallet. If malware is on your computer, it is game over. No 2FA will save you in that case. If they can record keystrokes they can steal your 2FA key when you've typed it and there is no improvement over the typical password protection.
legendary
September 19, 2016, 12:23:04 PM
code: 2FA is not necessary.

Memo to exchanges: see above.
September 19, 2016, 12:14:40 PM
code: 2FA is not necessary.
legendary
September 19, 2016, 12:11:30 PM

I am curious to know why details about in wallet 2FA security features have been removed?  

Several months ago SDC people lost coins because their computers were hacked and they had coins stolen. Coins which were likely dumped on exchanges.

So what's wrong with highlighting that wallets can get a great security feature like 2FA?

Hold on a second...this is about encrypting the local wallet with its own decentralised 2FA service.

It's an absolute genius of a process that only the user controls. There are no third parties (unless you count Google Authentication as a third party, even though Google doesn't get involved)
legendary
September 19, 2016, 10:47:08 AM

September 19, 2016, 08:16:13 AM
traxx: No but we can come to your house and pick it up?
legendary
Activity: 1190
Merit: 1002
Pecvniate obedivnt omnia.
September 19, 2016, 07:55:56 AM

When did our wallet get hacked again  Cheesy i have been here for 2 years and the wallet has never been hacked and no coins stollen because of any hack, i think someone didn't encrypt their wallet with a pw and they got their .dat jacked, not our problem.

Just re read your comment because i misread it before i see now you say computer not wallet hacked, i apologise.
but i do remember one of the developers saying in the past when i suggested 2fa for the wallet and this was over a year ago I'm sure, they replied that it was an attack vector and not good for over all security or something along the lines.
Im 90% sure i remember being told that.
Activity: 56
Merit: 0
September 19, 2016, 07:54:42 AM
Where I can see new roadmap for SDC?
legendary
September 19, 2016, 07:50:26 AM

Activity: 279
September 19, 2016, 03:53:48 AM
Its not surprising that blazzin is a big Monero fan, i am sure he fits right in at that cesspool.

Monero is poisoned from the head down as you can see by how they handled this: https://decentralize.today/monero-had-the-same-bug-as-shadow-33a86ddeac2e#.sjo6i1y7j

I have never seen such a toxic community in all my life and it seems that the Monero leaders encourage this sort of behavior.

I thought he said he was leaving? LOL  I guess blazzin just wanted to prove he is a liar one more time.

The best he could do is bring up some ancient history of an SDC flaw that was corrected long ago?

I wasn't one to taunt the Monero kids until now, but since they insist on this kind of pathetic attack, it's going to be even more fun watching SDC dominate their obsolete coin.

There is plenty more on the way.  Smiley

I really can't wait for the market being implemented and released. I'm really looking forward to it and expect that SDC will go past Monero at that point.
Pages:
Jump to: