Pages:
Author

Topic: Selling Silver and Gold Bullion at Low Prices! Updated 10/3/16 - page 8. (Read 12406 times)

legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154
Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?
Alrighty, those 40 Silver Eagles that were set to arrive on Monday will be arriving today. Seems the seller shipped them with the cheapest possible method, so while I was expecting priority or 1st class mail (2-4 days) it seems they actually shipped via the 7+ day option. Thats what you will get out of metal dealers, but as any of my customers will tell you, my shipping speeds are phenomenal. I'm pretty much in your shoes, as a metal stacker myself, I hate ordering from a big company and then waiting a week or longer for my orders to arrive. Everything I sell is on hand and ready to ship same or next day (depending on what time you order).

With BTC's price so unstable, its a great time to hedge your bets!  

And as always, if you have any questions, comments, concerns, etc please feel free to ask.
legendary
If you do not mind me asking how much did you spend on your tester?  I am looking at buying one I was looking at this one below its only $390 a good investment if you buy any amount of precious metals.

http://testyourgold.com/

Thanks.

Mine was around $400 though there are plenty on the market that will work just fine for $200 or under. The one thing to make sure of, is to check that it has an adjustable velocity setting. Some come with common presets for construction and thats it.

I'm not sure that I'd buy that one you linked. It looks an awful lot like one of the other models that I was looking at a while ago that costs around $200. Maybe just rebranded? I'll post a link if I find it.

*edit* This is the TM8812 its pretty highly recommended I believe and sub $200.

https://www.amazon.com/TM8812-Ultrasonic-Thickness-1-2-200mm-0-05-8inch/dp/B00DKW4IYO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1470074718&sr=8-1&keywords=TM+8812+Ultrasonic+Thickness+Gauge
Activity: 882
Merit: 500
Where am I?
If you do not mind me asking how much did you spend on your tester?  I am looking at buying one I was looking at this one below its only $390 a good investment if you buy any amount of precious metals.

http://testyourgold.com/

Thanks.
legendary
Got your pm. Will look over your new prices and goods tonight after work. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

Not a problem  Wink

I've got 40 Eagles arriving today, I'll list them once I get them and check them over.

*edit* or not, I guess they got to my local post office after they loaded the trucks. Oh well, they will arrive tomorrow then!
Activity: 332
Merit: 250
Got your pm. Will look over your new prices and goods tonight after work. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.
legendary
Interesting stuff, but this has me confused:

A quick check with the ole calipers shows that the bar is actually 3.88mm thick. If it was real gold all the way through, the ultrasonic thickness gauge would have displayed 2.9mm instead of the 3.88mm it actually was.

I thought you showed that the ultrasonic thickness gauge did say 2.9mm? Thanks! Smiley

Sorry, my bad with the wording. That is correct. If the Ultrasound had shown 3.9mm then the bar would have been real. Because the thicknesses didn't match up, that means there is metal other than gold inside of the bar with a different speed of sound.

Fixed that, thanks.

And for the record, the actual thickness of a 1 oz perth bar is 1.7mm. After removing it from the packaging and measuring it I could tell it was fake at that point, but the ultrasound is a neat 100% accurate testing method that I employ. I felt like sharing the pics/process because it is pretty interesting.
legendary
Activity: 3570
Merit: 1959
Interesting stuff, but this has me confused:

A quick check with the ole calipers shows that the bar is actually 3.88mm thick. If it was real gold all the way through, the ultrasonic thickness gauge would have displayed 2.9mm instead of the 3.88mm it actually was.

I thought you showed that the ultrasonic thickness gauge did say 2.9mm? Thanks! Smiley
legendary
So I thought I'd share this with you guys since its a pretty neat application of science on confirming that your metals are real. As I posted a couple of days ago, I ordered a 1 Oz gold bar from a non reputable source. It was a good price, so I figured I'd give it a shot, why not? Why I was able to take that risk, is because I could perform a foolproof test on the bar. Attached are pictures and explanations of whats going on.

So here is the bar I ordered:

It came in standard packaging, inside of the Assay card with no obvious defects or signs of being a forgery. A real pamp bar is 42mm x 24mm x 1.7mm. The bar when measured with the calipers was 42mm x 24mm but I couldn't determine the height because it was inside of the packaging. It looked a little bit thick, and the weight was about 1 gram lighter inside the packaging than it should have been. When you get a real gold bar that says 1 troy ounce, it will be exactly 31.1 grams not 30.9 or anything remotely off of 31.1. However, since it was in plastic packaging, it was measuring 36.9 grams and online sources said it should have been about 37 and change. I was suspicious enough to remove the gold bar from its packaging (completely ruining the premium, but oh well).

My handy dandy testing tools!

A digital calipers and an Ultrasonic thickness gauge. The calipers are used for very precise measurements down to the fraction of a millimeter. The ultrasonic thickness gauge uses ultrasound waves to read the thickness of an object.

How it works:

The probe is zeroed and then the sound velocity is set to 3240m/s. That is the speed at which sound travels through gold.

The probe is then coupled to the metal using Glycerin, and it uses the speed of sound specified to calculate how thick the thing you are measuring is. The reading there shows 2.9mm.

A quick check with the ole calipers shows that the bar is actually 3.88mm thick. If it was real gold all the way through, the ultrasonic thickness gauge would have displayed 3.9mm instead of the 2.9mm. Therefor, the bar is completely and utterly fake. As you have noticed its all scratched up. I wanted to see how thick the gold plating was, and it was actually quite thick. It was an incredibly good forgery, not a $5 chinese made bar, but it probably cost $100 or better to make the fake bar.

And here is a real 1 oz silver Canadian Maple being tested. Its a little bit trickier on coins so I got a little bit of error, but with a tiny bit of common sense it confirms that the coin is real.

The Ultrasonic Thickness gauge is adjusted to 3600m/s the speed of sound through silver. A reading of 2.9mm, lets see what the calipers say.

About 3mm. So I was off by a 3% margin. Why is that? Oh, because there is a .5ish mm lip around the edge of the coin. The thickness gauge needed a flat surface to get a reading, but the coin's rim is raised by about half a millimeter on either side of the coin. Righto all checks out!

legendary
All orders placed today will ship out first thing tomorrow! Get your cheap gold/silver today and have it shipped at Platinum club member speed without spending $25k+
legendary
New arrivals in today! (2) 10 gram gold Perth bars as well as (4) 10 Oz and (1) 5 Oz Sunshine Mint silver bars!

All listed at spot value, free shipping to the US. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.
legendary
I'll take 5 1oz bars, pm sent  Shocked

Replied. Thank you!

legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002
Hello!
I'll take 5 1oz bars, pm sent  Shocked
legendary
As a side note, all shipping within the US is now free unless otherwise stated! I've also changed my policy on shipping out of the country. I can't make any guarentees, however if you live outside of the US, contact me and I'll see about shipping.

New products fresh in! Note, the APMEX 1 Oz Silver bars I will sell as singles, but there are great discounts if you purchase 10+ or 20!
legendary
If you can do free shipping to 77055 I will buy both the NTR Horse bars.

Sure thing, PM sent.
Activity: 882
Where am I?
If you can do free shipping to 77055 I will buy both the NTR Horse bars.
legendary
A couple of new items added! Check the OP under the Fresh In header for details! Every day, I'll be having a sale on a couple of products where the price is reduced even further! That is in addition to my price match/beat guarentee. Today's sale is on the Silver Britannia's and Perth Gold! Order a roll of Britannias, SBSS Trivium or two or more 5g perth gold bars, and receive your choice of 3% off the list price, or a free ounce of silver! The silver will be part of my personal collection in Brilliant Uncirculated condition inside of an airtite container.

I'm also offering frequent buyer and quantity rewards. I'm still running the numbers to see what I can afford to do, but customers will be given free metal or discounts for purchases reaching certain criteria that I will specify soon. These are cumulative, so if you have purchased from me in the past and make an order, you are elligible for discounts!

I have another 20 oz of silver and a 2.5g gold bar arriving today! Be on the lookout for a deal  Wink
legendary
I'm very interested in the new business plan , good luck and I hope it works.
Also the crocs are peaking my interest, I'll likely be in touch regarding those soon.

Please do!

Just got some of my gold in! (6) 5 Gram gold bars from the Perth mint! I also got a 1 oz pamp bar, but it was fake.  Angry

I have (2) 10 gram and a 2.5 gram Perth gold bar coming in shortly, and some more silver of course.

the 5 gram gold bars are priced under APMEX's Qty 25+ bulk price  Shocked if you can find a better price from a reputable dealer, I'll match it or beat it. If you are interested in multiple items let me know, I still have a little room to cut a deal!

Ouch,  did you get your money back for the fake?

You could look into the laws and taxes on shipping international,  it might help your new business grow.

I'm in the process of getting my money back. Its a open and shut case that it was a fake, but of course the seller says its not, so its not an instant refund. I know a fair bit about international shipping of metals. I've bought and sold a lot of metal in the past just trying to increase my own stash, to other countries as well. Germany, Australia, and any country with a US Trade Embargo are the only places I can't legally ship (though I may be able to do Germany now) Any and all tax liability is on the customer. What I can say, is that I've had hit or miss experiences with metals going through foreign customs. I've had $500 packages get hit with VAT, and $3,000 packages not get hit by VAT. When mailing out of the country, I declare the value as spot value of the metal and try and label them as collectors coins or something like that to help try and prevent theft. What I'm selling right now is just kind of my bulk bullion that I had laying around. Once I've cleared it out, I'll be adding smaller pieces, selling singles rather than rolls, and such, so I'll most likely open up my sales to the foreign market.

The issue I have with international shipping isn't so much about the difficulty of shipping internationally, or the laws, its mainly to do with international tracking numbers. When a package leaves the US, if the shipping plan isn't Global Priority Mail Express (Often near $100) the tracking label will stop working as soon as the package leaves the country. If it gets caught in customs or is just running late, I've got no clue what to do about that. I can't call and get any additional information from the post office, other than that it has left the country and is in transit.

*Edit* On a side note, I'm heading to the post office within the next hour or two. PM me or post if you would like to place an order that will ship today  Wink
Activity: 826
Merit: 1000
Just got some of my gold in! (6) 5 Gram gold bars from the Perth mint! I also got a 1 oz pamp bar, but it was fake.  Angry

I have (2) 10 gram and a 2.5 gram Perth gold bar coming in shortly, and some more silver of course.

the 5 gram gold bars are priced under APMEX's Qty 25+ bulk price  Shocked if you can find a better price from a reputable dealer, I'll match it or beat it. If you are interested in multiple items let me know, I still have a little room to cut a deal!

Ouch,  did you get your money back for the fake?

You could look into the laws and taxes on shipping international,  it might help your new business grow.
Activity: 798
Time is on our side, yes it is!
I'm very interested in the new business plan , good luck and I hope it works.
Also the crocs are peaking my interest, I'll likely be in touch regarding those soon.
legendary
Those horse bars are beautiful, you're really tempting me to grow my stack.

I'm heading to the post office tomorrow morning anyway, you might as well buy them!
Pages:
Jump to: