Pages:
Author

Topic: Selling Silver and Gold Bullion at Low Prices! Updated 10/3/16 - page 9. (Read 12406 times)

legendary
Activity: 2590
Merit: 2154
Welcome to the SaltySpitoon, how Tough are ya?
If they came from one of the big companies, then you should be fine.. but those PAMP and PERTH bars in any denomination are heavily counterfeited.  Iv purchased several fakes -.-

Yup. I have no problem buying from individuals as long as my money is protected.Its worth taking a shot as long as theres nothing to lose. As I mentioned before, my Ultrasound machine should be coming in midweek. Once I have that, Ill be a lot less hesitant to buy from individuals.

At the moment everything I have in stock has come from a large reputable company. Of course I spot test things on big orders.
Activity: 616
Merit: 300
I didn't test them in the same way, as they came from a reputable dealer. Their size and form is correct however so I don't need to take them out of the assay card and cut them in half  Tongue. I've got an ultrasound machine on the way so I can be 100% sure of everything I sell. When I order things from multi million dollar companies, I'm not worried. When I buy from individuals its nice to be able to test things in a nondestructive way.

Once I get everything straightened out with the seller, I'll post pictures of my testing

If they came from one of the big companies, then you should be fine.. but those PAMP and PERTH bars in any denomination are heavily counterfeited.  Iv purchased several fakes -.-
legendary
Just got some of my gold in! (6) 5 Gram gold bars from the Perth mint! I also got a 1 oz pamp bar, but it was fake.  Angry

I have (2) 10 gram Perth gold bars coming in shortly, and some more silver.

the 5 gram gold bars are priced under APMEX's Qty 25+ bulk price  Shocked if you are interested in multiple items let me know and I still have a little room to cut deal!

Did you test the 5 & 10 gram bars to check if they were fake as well?

I didn't test them in the same way, as they came from a reputable dealer. Their size and form is correct however so I don't need to take them out of the assay card and cut them in half  Tongue. I've got an ultrasound machine on the way so I can be 100% sure of everything I sell. When I order things from multi million dollar companies, I'm not worried. When I buy from individuals its nice to be able to test things in a nondestructive way.

Once I get everything straightened out with the seller, I'll post pictures of my testing
Activity: 616
Merit: 300
Just got some of my gold in! (6) 5 Gram gold bars from the Perth mint! I also got a 1 oz pamp bar, but it was fake.  Angry

I have (2) 10 gram Perth gold bars coming in shortly, and some more silver.

the 5 gram gold bars are priced under APMEX's Qty 25+ bulk price  Shocked if you are interested in multiple items let me know and I still have a little room to cut deal!

Did you test the 5 & 10 gram bars to check if they were fake as well?
legendary

I have (2) 10 gram and a 2.5 gram Perth gold bar coming in shortly, and some more silver of course.

the 5 gram gold bars are priced under APMEX's Qty 25+ bulk price  Shocked if you can find a better price from a reputable dealer, I'll match it or beat it. If you are interested in multiple items let me know, I still have a little room to cut a deal!

legendary
Dear mr spitoon Cheesy

I am in the UK, but have kindly asked a friend in the US to order some coins for me Smiley

You should have a PM!! Smiley ( not from me, but will send one in a sec )

Regards,

~Z

Not a problem at all. I've shipped to the UK before and have never had anything go wrong. Its not even the hassle, its just a couple things that make me nervous about sending metals overseas. I won't lie on customs declarations, but I've no issue declaring the value at spot value. I've also found that declaring coins as "collector's coins" will sometimes get you off the hook for paying VAT, though I definitely can't guarentee that. Might have just been that particular custom's officer's mood. The thing that makes me the most nevous about shipping overseas, is unless you pay for the ultra premium $100+ priority 2-3 day shipping, the tracking numbers stop updating once the package leaves the US. I'm not sure if its still visable for my customers or not on their end, but thats typically the reason I'd prefer not to ship out of North America.

Now, if it the savings was enough to justify spending the shipping cost for the premium shipping option, I'd have no problem with it, but thats typically for people interested in buying larger quantities.
copper member
Activity: 686
Merit: 603
Electricity is really just organized lightning
Dear mr spitoon Cheesy

I am in the UK, but have kindly asked a friend in the US to order some coins for me Smiley

You should have a PM!! Smiley ( not from me, but will send one in a sec )

Regards,

~Z
legendary
I've got some great ideas on how to purchase metals that I could sell for Bitcoin at lower than what the online retailers charge.
Out of curiosity, how are you able to buy silver/gold coins at below retail price? Is it because you are buying "in bulk" (aka the largest quantities at a time)?

From what I can tell, there is quite a lot of demand for numismatic coins. Although it would probably require a little bit additional capital on your end, it might even make sense to get some of the numismatic coins you are selling graded by ANACS or NGS and sell them in their slabs.

There are a couple of ways I do this. My first method is to buy overstocked material from larger vendors. If a vendor has an abundance of one item in their inventory, but they are sold out of others and need the capital for repurchase of other things, I can sometimes find a good deal by contacted them and asking to buy their overstocked items. There are also tax implications for vendors if they take longer than a year to sell a product. Their tax rate just about doubles on any profits they make for metals sold if they purchased them over 1 year ago. Short term investment vs Long term investmen taxes. They can sell their products that they have had for almost a year a bit cheaper as well.

Method 2 works mainly with numismatic coins. If you search auction sites like Ebay, you will not find any good deals. Typically, you will find things sold at least 10% higher than elsewhere due to Ebay's fees. However, when numismatic coins are sold at bad times or with description errors, you can actually find a decent deal from time to time. At 2-3am I like to search for sivler and other common misspellings to see if there is anything interesting. Because of their premiums, most auctions will start around spot price, but the coin might be worth 50% over spot if not more. If no one finds the auction, I can snag things near spot value or at least under priced.

Method 3 is to buy directly from individuals. As people in this thread have mentioned, I must be really lucky to have generous local metal dealers. Well... probably its just that theres a huge amount of demand in my area, so they can afford to pay spot or better when they buy metals. But, others seem to not be so lucky. If you go to a pawn shop, you are going to get ripped off tremendously. Some local dealers are incredibly shady as well. If you sell on Ebay, you are likely to only get 85-90% after Ebay fees. Depending on the item, I can buy it at spot from those people, or sometimes above spot, and still make a profit undercutting big online retailers.

Small retailers can also be the source of really good prices. When my shop opens, my first priority will be liquidation of my inventory so I can expand my range of items and cycle in whatever it is that people want, rather than holding onto inventory for months. Small retailers in particular need working capital. If people are buying something like crazy, but their inventory is heavy on another type of item, they are less reluctant to sell me whatever it is is that is keeping them from restocking more of their hot item. That goes back to #1, but for small dealers its more about the capital as large dealers have access to more.

And as I said before, on top of that, I make a couple of % on the BTC to Fiat conversion before I buy more metal. Metals are a very low margin marketplace with most dealers charging just a couple of % on every item they sell. I believe that I can get that couple of % just trading the BTC to fiat to repurchase more inventory. If I buy silver for example at spot value (aprox $20/oz) and sell it at spot value, I can get 5% or so converting from BTC to Fiat. The buyer pays spot, and I get spot +$1 in that case. My buyers get their metals incredibly cheap, and I still get that couple of % needed to keep going and expand my inventory.

I've never sent any coins off for grading myself, however I'd do it in a heartbeat if I found something worth grading. Most graded coins are ones that are coming directly from the mint, so before they have any time to get flawwed. By the time they hit the secondary market, even coins in great shape might not be flawless anymore. Of course, if I find a roll of flawless coins, I'd send them in for grading if it was worth it to do so.
copper member
Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298
I've got some great ideas on how to purchase metals that I could sell for Bitcoin at lower than what the online retailers charge.
Out of curiosity, how are you able to buy silver/gold coins at below retail price? Is it because you are buying "in bulk" (aka the largest quantities at a time)?

From what I can tell, there is quite a lot of demand for numismatic coins. Although it would probably require a little bit additional capital on your end, it might even make sense to get some of the numismatic coins you are selling graded by ANACS or NGS and sell them in their slabs.
legendary
Thanks, I'll be sure to try and keep an eye on this thread then; I hope you can find a way to give us a better price than the other competitors... best prices + crypto = Smiley

If it's not too much of a hassle, I would like to see what other types of metals you have for sale... Looking forward to potentially doing business.

Thanks! Right now my inventory is a little shabby, but it will pick up pretty quickly. I've mostly dealt in silver in both the bullion and numismatic markets, but I've traded gold a bit, though its often been too rich for my blood. I'm really interested in adding platinum to my shop, but I don't know how many people would be interested in it. Paladium and Rhodium are really neat too, but I have even less knowledge about them. I actually have already found a way to beat the competition, by the nature of Bitcoin. As a long time Bitcoiner and trader who is trusted, I dont have too much issue converting BTC to Fiat to repurchase more metal. I can even get a couple extra % on the BTC > Cash transactions, and I'm hoping that I can make the majority of my profit there, and offer metals at unheard of prices. Most dealers operate on a 2-5% mark up. If I can get an extra 5% selling the BTC for fiat to repurchase more metals, I don't have to charge a markup.

I've got a 1 Oz gold Pamp bar coming in, and a bunch of 5 and 10 gram gold Perth bars tomorrow. A bit more silver coming in as well, and some more of my personal collection to list. I've met a couple of people in the medium-large online retail scene, and I'm hoping that they will keep letting me know when they have overstocked metals that they are willing to sell at a good price.
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004
Do you by chance have any silver American Eagles lying around?  I've been having a collection going and haven't got my 2016 one yet and figured it'd be nice to get it with BTC... Might be interested in other metals too, but I guess I'll wait for your store to come out. Smiley

I don't at the moment, but I will most certainly be stocking them very soon. Ill be running all sorts of promotions to get the word out about my new business. I'm doing research on all of the major company's pricing algorithms right now so that I can beat them, and I'll probably be running a lot of sales near spot price for things like Eagles to get the word out about my business. I'm also thinking of doing customer rewards and such which I don't think any other metal dealers do, where you get free coins/bars based on previous orders and orders size and such.

I've got a bit of gold coming in tomorrow, as well as a bit more generic silver. I'll be sure to grab eagles on my next purchase.

Thanks, I'll be sure to try and keep an eye on this thread then; I hope you can find a way to give us a better price than the other competitors... best prices + crypto = Smiley

If it's not too much of a hassle, I would like to see what other types of metals you have for sale... Looking forward to potentially doing business.
legendary
Do you by chance have any silver American Eagles lying around?  I've been having a collection going and haven't got my 2016 one yet and figured it'd be nice to get it with BTC... Might be interested in other metals too, but I guess I'll wait for your store to come out. Smiley

I don't at the moment, but I will most certainly be stocking them very soon. Ill be running all sorts of promotions to get the word out about my new business. I'm doing research on all of the major company's pricing algorithms right now so that I can beat them, and I'll probably be running a lot of sales near spot price for things like Eagles to get the word out about my business. I'm also thinking of doing customer rewards and such which I don't think any other metal dealers do, where you get free coins/bars based on previous orders and orders size and such.

I've got a bit of gold coming in tomorrow, as well as a bit more generic silver. I'll be sure to grab eagles on my next purchase.
legendary
Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004
Do you by chance have any silver American Eagles lying around?  I've been having a collection going and haven't got my 2016 one yet and figured it'd be nice to get it with BTC... Might be interested in other metals too, but I guess I'll wait for your store to come out. Smiley
legendary
Very good....
There are many silver-bugs and goldies around here!!!

PM has been sent.

Thanks

Thanks for the pm, responded.

I'm a huge gold/silver bug, and I just really enjoy purchasing it. I've been stacking metals for years now, but its honestly way more fun to deal in metals than just buying. If you have traded BTC,Alt Coins or fiat on exchanges where you sell your BTC for something else and then try to buy back in at a lower price and earn some bitcoins, its exactly like that. I've got some great ideas on how to purchase metals that I could sell for Bitcoin at lower than what the online retailers charge.

That announcement for my full time shop will be coming up in the next couple of days. I'm just running through all of the legal/tax stuff to make sure I'm not going to get pinched up accidentally trading BTC - Metals due to some wierd laws.
legendary
I may have the opportunity to resume relatively small scale bullion dealing. What type of products would you be likely to consider purchasing? Gold/Silver/Platinum or more obscure stuff like Rhodium and Paladium? Numismatic or non? Fractional or large quantities?

legendary
You sure you don't want to reconsider?  Kiss

I am sure. Thanks again for the offer though. As I said, I can get between spot and spot +1 at my local dealer, and walk out with cash in hand, not worrying about whether a package is going to get stolen/lost etc. I'm pretty firm on my pricing unless someone wanted to buy large quantities. The problem with pricing things fairly to begin with, is you have no wiggle room when people want to negotiate. Maybe next time I sell my silver I'll start it higher so people can negotiate me down. Let me know if you want to do that  Tongue
Activity: 332
Merit: 250
I would buy a few at spot +1$ if your interested. Im even willing to send first because I see no need to pay someone to escrow this deal.
Let me know.

The offer is appreciated, but no thank you.

You sure you don't want to reconsider?  Kiss
legendary
I would buy a few at spot +1$ if your interested. Im even willing to send first because I see no need to pay someone to escrow this deal.
Let me know.

The offer is appreciated, but no thank you.
Activity: 332
Merit: 250
Its not like your account will be sold or hacked though. I just find it funny is all.
Would you consider selling some of your silver at spot?

I hope it never will be hacked. Quick way to do a double check is to check one's trust page. If their password has been changed recently it will say so in red letters. Its not a bad habit to at least check that before doing a deal with someone. I'm not interested in selling at spot, sorry. I have local dealers who will pay spot to spot +$1 for generics. I'm trying to sell my generics for spot +$1.50-2.00 depending on how the spot price is fluctuating. I currently have them listed at $22/oz for the generic 1 oz and 10 oz bars. $27 for the crocs (compare to $35 at APMEX) and $26 for the Philharmonics. Apparently 2014 was one of the lowest if not the lowest mintage for philharmonics, so they hold a bit more premium than regular Eagles/Maples.

Compare my pricing to that of APMEX or JMBullion or any of the other large dealers, and you will see that they are similar, however my turn around time and customer service is much better. Every order I've ever made from APMEX didn't ship for at a minimum of a week, two weeks wasn't uncommon. JMBullion is a bit better, but 4 days to a week isn't uncommon either.

All of that said, I'm considering listing more of my stash. I've got a lot more smaller increment stuff and graded things that I may let go of.

Let me know.
Activity: 742
Merit: 500
Sorry, I don't have Rhodium nor do I buy it. If I'm not mistaken, Rhodium is difficult to work, so the premium on bars/rounds is high. I don't have an issue buying gold/silver with a premium, because I know I'll always be able to get that premium back when I go to sell. Rhodium is a bit more complicated.

Understood. Just from reading JM market perspectives it looks like three-way catalysts will be enriched with Rh in 2017, which will cause it price up. I do not expect $3000 per once as it was 10 years ago, but $1500 easily

Good luck with your rounds!
Pages:
Jump to: