Pages:
Author

Topic: Server Power Supply Interface Board - for standalone miners and GPU rigs - page 10. (Read 120471 times)

legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
Making assumptions about what's not explicitly stated in the product description goes the same way. Truth be told, I think this is the first time anyone's mentioned power cords. I'll see what I got laying around, might be able to start including them in the standard kit package, or as an option for $1 or something.

Not including a power cord is actually a result of *not* making assumptions about the customer.
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
Got my 3 PSU's today. There were no AC power cords in the box so I will need to pick some up and give it a test tomorrow. Were they supposed to come with power cables I bought full kits?

Check out monoprice you can get a heavy duty (14 gauge) 6 ft. PC power cable for like 3 bucks.

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10228&cs_id=1022801&fq=Attributes:Gauge||14AWG

I will pick up something local. It would have been nice if this was mentioned so I could have prepared in advance. Making assumptions about what extra gear the consumer may have lying around is not good.
Activity: 479
Merit: 250
Got my 3 PSU's today. There were no AC power cords in the box so I will need to pick some up and give it a test tomorrow. Were they supposed to come with power cables I bought full kits?

Check out monoprice you can get a heavy duty (14 gauge) 6 ft. PC power cable for like 3 bucks.

http://www.monoprice.com/Category?c_id=102&cp_id=10228&cs_id=1022801&fq=Attributes:Gauge||14AWG
legendary
Kit includes a PSU, interface board and 4 PCIe 6-pin cables. We've shipped units to US, Canada and six other countries; some folks run on 110, some on 220, and between different countries and  volt/amp socket ratings there's half a dozen different cords to keep track of so that part's up to you. The PSU's mains socket mates to a standard cable anyone with extra computer parts is probably gonna have lying around, or could be found at a mom-and-pop computer store for a couple bucks if necessary. Worst case, Walmart or the RatShack probably have 'em in stock for a stupid markup.
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
Activity: 196
Merit: 100
Hi,

Got my PSU up and running now. Messy soldering, but solid joints and running very well - showing 12.25volts on all PCIe connectors.

Does anyone know how to make the PSU power on when the other one does? Can I use the green wire from the MOBO PSU to jump the two power on pins?

I'm using a Dell DPS-1520ab.

Thanks

Sorry to requote, but any ideas?

Cheers
legendary
Activity: 910
Merit: 1000
I'm gonna be checking over the initial PCB design today or tomorrow, hopefully we can get a quick-turn small batch in and tested by the end of next week. It'd be probably four weeks after that before we had any of a full batch to start shipping, so six weeks is probably a minimum wait. The DPS-2000BB will incorporate the same 10-pin IO header and functionality (external-on, current meter, 3V3SB, 5V, SHR etc), and a built-in fan controller with manual/external speed adjustments and headers for two 4-pin fans. We're designing it for a 200A rating, which is more than the supplies are rated for but not more than they can handle. Once the test PCBs come back we'll stress-test them for stupidly high loads and make changes where necessary for the full batch, which will probably take a couple days. Starting in about six weeks we'll have at least one of the minions working full time, and hope to have some better shop space, so once we get to that point stuff should start rolling out quicker than it has been. We've done the whole thing so far on basically two people doing three people's worth of man-hours, and that's for the entirety of design, manufacture, website maintenance, order handling, inventory management and packing. It's been busy and I'm really looking forward to still being busy for a long time - but also having help. Busy means revenue, revenue plus help means expansion, expansion means y'all get better stuff, more stuff and all of it gets done faster.

Ill be in for 4 of these when they are ready. The 750 watt PSU is too small for my needs.
legendary
Activity: 1274
One of the benefits of these boards is, if your $110 supply goes out you're out the supply and all the wiring. If the $12 supply goes out you get another $12 supply and don't touch the cabling at all. Plus you can actually get 750W out of them, sustained, which destroys most 750W consumer-grade supplies inside a few weeks, if not days. If you want to have a backup $110 supply to swap out quickly, it costs you $220 up front. If you want a backup for these, it costs an additional $12 up-front and the swap is unsocket-resocket instead of pull-and-rerun-all-cabling.

THIS, this is exactly why I choose server PSUs.
legendary
One of the benefits of these boards is, if your $110 supply goes out you're out the supply and all the wiring. If the $12 supply goes out you get another $12 supply and don't touch the cabling at all. Plus you can actually get 750W out of them, sustained, which destroys most 750W consumer-grade supplies inside a few weeks, if not days. If you want to have a backup $110 supply to swap out quickly, it costs you $220 up front. If you want a backup for these, it costs an additional $12 up-front and the swap is unsocket-resocket instead of pull-and-rerun-all-cabling.

Better prices on these aren't really gonna happen unless you want to buy them 50 at a time. We're not using junk parts, we're not building them in a Chinese sweatshop. The margins right now aren't that great, enough to stay in business and we're trying to grow a little but it's slow. Manufacturing these boards is two guys' full-time jobs and a couple guys on part-time, and since we don't do preorders and ship from standing inventory, all parts and labor are paid for out-of-pocket before any orders are even placed let alone payment cleared and deposited. It's not easy but we've started the whole thing from zero and are trying to keep expanding with other solid products - not just support resources for bitcoin miners, we're working on some custom desktop hardware and nixie-display stuff one of these days when time and resources allow.

Also working on a DPS-800GBA board. I don't believe those have a current-share interface, at least not one that I've been able to find, so I have to build that circuit separately. DPS-2000BB dev is higher priority right now though.
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe
I am following closely, but waiting for better prices. At $45 for the board, $12 for the cables, and $10-15 for the power supply (usually 1 in 3 is a dud from the recycling place) I am looking at about $75 plus shipping delays for a 750W 80+ silver equivelent supply (I could say gold, but when they are already used for years its likely they no longer reach the initial efficiency spec)

$75/750W isnt bad - but I can buy a 750W GOLD ATX supply for $110 that is purchased locally and comes with a warranty and is "safer" (i use quotes).

Hoping for DPS-800GB version soon - ive had really bad luck with these supplies not handling conversion well (either something i am doing, or simply a high rate of DOA) and a plug-play board would make testing them a lot more streamlined. Do they need a load to register 12V? A couple of mine will switch on but only provide 12V for a split second before dropping to 0.16V
legendary
I'm gonna be checking over the initial PCB design today or tomorrow, hopefully we can get a quick-turn small batch in and tested by the end of next week. It'd be probably four weeks after that before we had any of a full batch to start shipping, so six weeks is probably a minimum wait. The DPS-2000BB will incorporate the same 10-pin IO header and functionality (external-on, current meter, 3V3SB, 5V, SHR etc), and a built-in fan controller with manual/external speed adjustments and headers for two 4-pin fans. We're designing it for a 200A rating, which is more than the supplies are rated for but not more than they can handle. Once the test PCBs come back we'll stress-test them for stupidly high loads and make changes where necessary for the full batch, which will probably take a couple days. Starting in about six weeks we'll have at least one of the minions working full time, and hope to have some better shop space, so once we get to that point stuff should start rolling out quicker than it has been. We've done the whole thing so far on basically two people doing three people's worth of man-hours, and that's for the entirety of design, manufacture, website maintenance, order handling, inventory management and packing. It's been busy and I'm really looking forward to still being busy for a long time - but also having help. Busy means revenue, revenue plus help means expansion, expansion means y'all get better stuff, more stuff and all of it gets done faster.
legendary
Activity: 1400
I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...
Is there a rough timeline for completion of the 2000BB boards?  I am still interested.
legendary
If it's pin- and signal-compatible with DPS-2000BB, then technically yes. But it takes a lot of time and resources to design, test and manufacture so if I do make a board specifically for that supply you shouldn't expect it for three or four months.
Activity: 11
Merit: 0
Could you make a board for DPS-1520AB?
legendary
Activity: 1123
SaluS - (SLS)
Could this used for Gridseed devices?
legendary
Snazzy. We'll have DPS-800 boards soon, I just need to find time to prototype external current-share and finish PCB design. DPS-2000 boards took priority.
Activity: 479
Merit: 250
Here is a board I built for my DPS-800GB, It hooks up to a Raspberry Pi so I can monitor the supply's status and power cycle it remotely...

Activity: 19
Merit: 0
Thank's a lot,mitak64!
Activity: 254
Merit: 100
Check here : http://www.raptortechnique.com/12vpower.htm

It's about the 2850, but I think the pinouts are the same.

"Power On: To turn on the power supply you need to solder B1 to A1 and run a wire to B6"

Pages:
Jump to: