Pages:
Author

Topic: Server Power Supply Interface Board - for standalone miners and GPU rigs - page 9. (Read 120461 times)

Activity: 252
Merit: 250
If it's a linear regulator shifting 5V down to 3.3V, running 12V into it is going to increase the power dissipation (and therefore heat) by five times. If it is indeed designed to give you 3A at 3.3V, it's dissipating 5W from a 5V source and that would be 26W from a 12V source - likely enough to explode it. I'm kinda surprised they didn't put a switching regulator on there instead, which is common for anything expecting to pull more than 1.5A or so.

My boards give you 5V rated for 2A; the circuit should handle 3A output.

Other manufactures may be different, I have two different types of usb risers.  One has a linear regulator and the other I cannot find a data sheet for, but I would guess it is a linear also.  I also doubt the card pulls the full 10w at 3.3v. I will measure it when I get a minute. 

You also can't assume that the riser board is designed to deliver all 10w.

I thought you "shouldnt mix" PSU´s when powering a GFX.
EX.:
PSU 1 - MB + 1 GFX PCI-e & Riser (by riser i mean the 4 pin molex)
PSU 2 - GFX PCI-e & Riser 2, 3, etc, etc.....

From what i read, it seams that mixing and matching PSU´s will cause undesired efects (Burn baby Burn) Grin

Or am i just getting this wrong ??  Huh

I can confirm with 100% certainty you can use a server power supply to provide the power for the 6pin connections and the motherboard power supply to power the slots.  I have built alot of machines this way.  All of the power connections are isolated inside the card.  You should never directly connect 2 power supplies together, unless they have a current share pin and it is connected correctly.

I used a 650 watt supply to run the motherboard and the risers for 5 cards.  When I added one more it wouldn't run.  I switched to an 850watt for 6 cards and works great. I use a 1570w dell supply to run the 6pin connectors
Activity: 152
Merit: 10
If it's a linear regulator shifting 5V down to 3.3V, running 12V into it is going to increase the power dissipation (and therefore heat) by five times. If it is indeed designed to give you 3A at 3.3V, it's dissipating 5W from a 5V source and that would be 26W from a 12V source - likely enough to explode it. I'm kinda surprised they didn't put a switching regulator on there instead, which is common for anything expecting to pull more than 1.5A or so.

Other manufactures may be different, I have two different types of usb risers.  One has a linear regulator and the other I cannot find a data sheet for, but I would guess it is a linear also.  I also doubt the card pulls the full 10w at 3.3v. I will measure it when I get a minute. 

You are correct.
As my Dad always said: Never Assume anything. It makes an ASS out of U and ME.
While i do not assume it will deliver the 10w, i do believe the it should be thereabout.
The model is:  AZ1084S-3.3E1
I did a quick test using the 12V.
1 - I does not work....   Roll Eyes
2 - It does get very hot...

I thought you "shouldnt mix" PSU´s when powering a GFX.
EX.:
PSU 1 - MB + 1 GFX PCI-e & Riser (by riser i mean the 4 pin molex)
PSU 2 - GFX PCI-e & Riser 2, 3, etc, etc.....

From what i read, it seams that mixing and matching PSU´s will cause undesired efects (Burn baby Burn) Grin

Or am i just getting this wrong ??  Huh

Hi,

At the expence of sounding like a newbee, i am a bit at a loss.
After browsing trough the comments, i am still trying to figure out where to get the 3.3V line from on the DPS-2000BB.
AFAIK, pci-e slot draws 12v and 3.3v.
I am using the USB RISERS - https://www.hashratestore.com/shop/cables/usb-pcie-riser-powered-molex-60-cm .
Apart from the standard pci-e 6 AND 6/8 PIN SETUP (12V), it also uses 4 pin molex which carries 12v G G 5v.
However, according to this:
Except for a potential maximum 10W from the PCIe +3.3V slot, all remaining power consumption will be on a +12V output.
there should be 3.3v comming from the molex and there isnt.
I can only conclude that instead of 3.3v it uses the 5v from the molex in the same way.

The PCIe X16 slot supplies 75W of which 10W comes from the +3.3V output (3.0A)

The following questions comes to my mind:
1 - How many WATT/AMP can i pull from the DPS-2000BB 5V line ??
2 - If not, can i use a molex from PSU powering the RIGS ?

I do apologize in advance if this has been covered before.

Cheers,
Mac

It uses a voltage regulator to make 3.3v.

ok, do you mean the usb-pcie-riser uses a voltage regulator ?
That would mean i would use the molex as follows: 12v G G 12V instead of 12V G G 5V and the riser does the rest.
Or do i need to adapt one to get the 3.3v from the 12v line ?

Cheers,
Mac

Yes, the usb riser has a regulator on the 16x board that plugs into the bottom of the power supply.  I do not know right off of my head if it converts the 5v to 3.3 or the 12v to 3.3 but logic would tell me it uses the 5v, otherwise it would probably get really hot. You would need to look at the regulator and make sure that it can accept 12v input and then see how hot it gets if you feed it with 12v. The regulator is going to dissipate almost 3x the watts that the card uses at 3.3v if you feed it with 12v, so it may only work for a little while, then burn out the regulator.

looking at my usb riser right now - yes the 5V is used, and is connected to the flat 3-pin chip, presumably to drop down to 3.3V as mentioned.

putting 12V through that is a TERRIBLE idea.

It might sound like terrible idea, however, after looking at the data sheet, i found that max input current is in fact 12V.
It does get quite hot though.
Considering that u only connect the GFX cards to a single PSU, and the the 12V line is not an option, where do i get a 5V or a 3.3V line from if not supplied by the PSU ?

You could use the connections from the power supply that powers the motherboard to power the risers
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848
Curmudgeonly hardware guy

Hi,

After browsing trough the comments, i am still trying to figure out where to get the 3.3V line from on the DPS-2000BB.
I am using the USB RISERS - https://www.hashratestore.com/shop/cables/usb-pcie-riser-powered-molex-60-cm .
Apart from the standard pci-e 6 AND 6/8 PIN SETUP (12V), it also uses 4 pin molex which carries 12v G G 5v.
Except for a potential maximum 10W from the PCIe +3.3V slot, all remaining power consumption will be on a +12V output.
I can only conclude that instead of 3.3v it uses the 5v from the molex in the same way.

Cheers,
Mac

That would mean i would use the molex as follows: 12v G G 12V instead of 12V G G 5V and the riser does the rest.

Cheers,
Mac

Yes, the usb riser has a regulator on the 16x board that plugs into the bottom of the power supply.  I do not know right off of my head if it converts the 5v to 3.3 or the 12v to 3.3 but logic would tell me it uses the 5v, otherwise it would probably get really hot. You would need to look at the regulator and make sure that it can accept 12v input and then see how hot it gets if you feed it with 12v. The regulator is going to dissipate almost 3x the watts that the card uses at 3.3v if you feed it with 12v, so it may only work for a little while, then burn out the regulator.

looking at my usb riser right now - yes the 5V is used, and is connected to the flat 3-pin chip, presumably to drop down to 3.3V as mentioned.

It might sound like terrible idea, however, after looking at the data sheet, i found that max input current is in fact 12V.
It does get quite hot though.
Considering that u only connect the GFX cards to a single PSU, and the the 12V line is not an option, where do i get a 5V or a 3.3V line from if not supplied by the PSU ?
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe
Hi,

Cheers,
Mac

Cheers,
Mac

legendary
The regulator is going to dissipate almost 3x the watts that the card uses at 3.3v if you feed it with 12v, so it may only work for a little while, then burn out the regulator.

Linear regulator instead of switching? Lazy bums.
Hi,

Cheers,
Mac

Cheers,
Mac

Hi,

Cheers,
Mac

Cheers,
Mac
legendary
According to the supply label, DPS-2000BB gives only 100mA on a 5VSB. There is no 3.3V line intrinsic to the supply.

Our breakout boards will be designed with a 3.3VSB derived from the 5VSB line, and a 5V2A auxilary output, same as the D750 boards.

Also I'm working on a prewired one-panel setup for the D750 boards. Plug in three supplies, get 2200W of load-balanced power with a single switch and single fan speed control. All relevant signal lines are tied to implement single-switch and single-knob operation as well as current sharing, and the busses are tied with dual 12AWG lines to ensure a low-resistance high current path between supplies for unevenly distributed loads. Header pins are still available for 3.3VSB and 5V aux lines, as well as current sense and a master EON so you can turn all three supplies on and off simultaneously from a remote signal. Anyone interested, let me know.

Hi,

Cheers,
Mac

Hi,

Cheers,
Mac
legendary
No, really. Assembly guys (myself included) are paid a fixed amount per board and per cable assembled. But the guys assembling the boards are guys I trained to do it right, and know that I test and inspect every board they turn in before it gets shipped and, starting with this batch, before they get paid for the work.
Activity: 6
Merit: 0
You make margin on a per-widget basis; I was making reference to a worker drone in a factory slapping together widgets and getting compensated on how many he slops together in a 12 hour day.  The latter doesn't care about the longevity or success of the product, or if it catches my home on fire.

I couldn't agree more on your business practice.  Kudos to you.
legendary
Actually we are paid on a per-widget basis, but with a mandated quality control. Part of the reason I mandate quality and only use solid components is because I worked in refurb for a few years. I got pretty tired of seeing the same parts and the same brands failing over and over again, knowing that the companies designed them to fail like that shortly after warranty ran out. Buying the cheap garbage parts saved them ten cents per unit up-front, and got them another sale two years later when the customer had to replace it. I'd rather get customers who come back because the thing I sold them still freakin' works and they want more, than because it worked well enough until it exploded but for some reason they still trust my brand. I'd rather lose a customer because they don't need to replace the thing I sold them, than because it burned up and they hate me now.
Activity: 6
Quote from: sidehack
We're not using junk parts, we're not building them in a Chinese sweatshop.

Thank you, sidehack.  This means a lot to a fellow American (and fellow Missourian, coincidentally) AND it gives me confidence I'm getting a quality product made by someone with some professional pride.  Not someone paid on a per-widget basis, with no regards to QC....or my safety.

Quote from: sidehack
Not including a power cord is actually a result of *not* making assumptions about the customer.

You're doing the right thing in my opinion.  My 9-5 is in equipment sales and I have to tell you, the variety of cords is ridiculous, ESPECIALLY when you try to ASK the customer what they need and they don't know the difference between a C13 connector and 5-15P, 6-15P and the (very foreign to me) CEE 7/7 for Europe and the BS1363 for the UK.  You also have length requirements...some people want short cords to keep things tidy, others need long.  Make it clear you're not including cords and save yourself the headache.

Looking forward to following your development here and ordering some boards for this huge stack of power supplies I almost sent to the e-recycler until I found this thread.  The cost of your board is substantially better than sourcing ATX supplies AND dealing with the ugly cabling.  I also look forward to interfacing an Arduino with this board eventually for advanced monitoring and control.
legendary
Yeah I will freely admit that I am definitely not my target customer, because I'm building the stuff instead of buying it. I used to work in electronics refurb, so the two main customers were business owners looking to get discounted hardware, and cheapskate idiots. Needless to say I preferred communicating to the former. I'd rather not imply that people within the bitcoin economy are idiots.
Activity: 47
First assumption of any business owner,

1) You're customers are idiots.  If they were smart they wouldn't need you.

This idiot looks forward to your products.

Grin
Pages:
Jump to: