Pages:
Author

Topic: Server Power Supply Interface Board - for standalone miners and GPU rigs - page 8. (Read 120461 times)

legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe
I bought a set of 3 boards and on one of them the on\off switch is seized and I cant switch it on. Is there a way that I can bypass this switch?

short the pins/solder points for it?
Activity: 728
Merit: 500
I bought a set of 3 boards and on one of them the on\off switch is seized and I cant switch it on. Is there a way that I can bypass this switch?
legendary
Activity: 3318
Merit: 1848
Curmudgeonly hardware guy
Yeah it's a signal line, very low current. 20AWG wire would probably be more than enough.
Activity: 31
Merit: 0
Sidehack thank you so much for the detailed response.  I will keep all of that in mind and give it a try.

One more quick question.  Can the common current-share line (and similar) can be wired together with jumper cables (I think generally are 20 gauge wires) common in most embedded electronics development supplies?
legendary
I've made jumpers out of three lines of 16AWG, and I've hardwired boards with two lines of 12AWG. It really depends on the worst-case current loading for if a supply goes down. Say you're pulling 1500W from three supplies, fairly balanced wiring, drawing 500W per board. If an end supply goes down and the other two supplies give the full 1500W, you're now pushing 500W into the end board through the bus ties. At 12V that's 42A, which two 12AWG lines can handle with no trouble at all. If you go that route, it's probably technically better to put each bus tie to a different screw terminal, since they're only rated for 20A each.

The spades we use are sized for 10-12AWG wire and a #6 stud. I think the outside measure is about 0.32", I forget exactly but it's a pretty standard spade width for a #6 stud.
Activity: 31
Merit: 0
Sidehack or others that may know the answer.  I currently own several of your boards and they work great.  I am in the process of attaching several boards together to power my equipment more efficiently.  The kits I have received have spade connectors or whatever the crimp on connectors are called (these are attached to the opposite end of the wires where the 6-Pin connectors are).  I was looking for these spade connectors (because they fit perfectly) to build the connecting wires between boards.  Could you please provide me with any details regarding the size/style of the spade connectors or possibly where I could buy them from?  Also, do you have a recommended wire gauge to use when attaching boards together as shown in http://www.gekkoscience.com/products/D750_3way.html?
Activity: 288
Merit: 250
pmorici, I have a pair of Artesyn PSU 7001138-Y000, used with IBM X-Series x3650 Server, P/N 24R2730 and would like to use RPi to control them. I think what I need is control interface slide-in board to connect it to RPi. Could you please advice me where to start if you can? Thanks!

What you need to do to interface with a Pi varies from supply to supply you basically need to design a circuit to switch the supply on and off that works with the 3.3v logic of the Pi and then if you want to monitor the status you need circuitry to shift the outputs of the supply to 3.3v as well.  Sometimes all you need is a standard NPN transistor but there are a lot of cases where that won't work for various reasons.

That supply you have would be kind of expensive to make a make a breakout board for, I'd estimate in the neighborhood of $60-$70 The connector looks to cost around $20

I intend to use server PSU as a 2nd PSU to power a couple of extra GPUs on the rig. If I use your board + HP DPS-800GBA for this purpose, how to turn both PSUs on at the same time? The first PSU is a standard PC power supply.
Activity: 479
pmorici, I have a pair of Artesyn PSU 7001138-Y000, used with IBM X-Series x3650 Server, P/N 24R2730 and would like to use RPi to control them. I think what I need is control interface slide-in board to connect it to RPi. Could you please advice me where to start if you can? Thanks!

What you need to do to interface with a Pi varies from supply to supply you basically need to design a circuit to switch the supply on and off that works with the 3.3v logic of the Pi and then if you want to monitor the status you need circuitry to shift the outputs of the supply to 3.3v as well.  Sometimes all you need is a standard NPN transistor but there are a lot of cases where that won't work for various reasons.

That supply you have would be kind of expensive to make a breakout board for, I'd estimate in the neighborhood of $60-$70 The connector alone looks to cost around $20
legendary
Activity: 2114
Merit: 1005
ASIC Wannabe
bringing this up again:
Delta DPS-835AB, Artesyn 7001138-Y000, IBM x3650 3655 835W (12.1V 69A) Power Supply

at 835W, these units turn on with a simple pin shorting (pins 3 and 4 - which are easy to bend into contact and place a small solder bead across) and have large, well-spaced sockets that can either be filled with wire leads and solder, or have the outer plastic snipped away to expose the metal contacts.

I converted a unit with about 20min, some AWG14 leads, and a few different sizes of heat shrink (1 size for the leads and 1 size to seal off the entire terminal to any accidental contact or shorting). I plan to post some pictures shortly, but right now its doing an excellent job of powering a 7-card bitfury system usin 2+ and 2- power lines that experience no warmth. It will also power an antminer shortly, either using 1+ and 1- per blade (pushing it a bit) or 4 wires to one blade and a seperate PSU for the other

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1766215

Please post your pics

I dont have a convenient photo, but i basically just bent the PS-on pin towards the GND pin beside it, then left a very small dot of solder to keep them connected so that when given AC power, the DC automatically triggers on after a 0.5-1 second pause (presumably charging a capacitor?).  I then snipped away the plastic on the GND and 12V sockets (i left the middle one alone since it has pins for both and i didnt want to much that up somehow). \

snipped away the plastic, bent the 6 pins/socket outwards slightly, and jammed in my wires and a TON of solder to make sure everything was sealed tight. You'll need a 100W+ soldering gun to do this, otherwise you'll be sitting there for 20 minutes trying to even get the solder to melt against such thick connectors/wires.  150W soldering gun makes the task a lot easier
legendary
Just throwing this out there, but my 750W boards (12V 62A) aren't much less power than that, and already have a header interface for logic-level external control. Also an on-off switch and the ability to be wired in parallel for higher currents and a built-in current meter and both 3.3V and 5V outputs to actually power an external controller if necessary.

Also I'm gonna start listing some of those three-board panels for sale, wherein it's pre-wired for three 750W supplies to work together as a single 2200W PSU.
bringing this up again:
Delta DPS-835AB, Artesyn 7001138-Y000, IBM x3650 3655 835W (12.1V 69A) Power Supply

at 835W, these units turn on with a simple pin shorting (pins 3 and 4 - which are easy to bend into contact and place a small solder bead across) and have large, well-spaced sockets that can either be filled with wire leads and solder, or have the outer plastic snipped away to expose the metal contacts.

I converted a unit with about 20min, some AWG14 leads, and a few different sizes of heat shrink (1 size for the leads and 1 size to seal off the entire terminal to any accidental contact or shorting). I plan to post some pictures shortly, but right now its doing an excellent job of powering a 7-card bitfury system usin 2+ and 2- power lines that experience no warmth. It will also power an antminer shortly, either using 1+ and 1- per blade (pushing it a bit) or 4 wires to one blade and a seperate PSU for the other

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1766215

Please post your pics
Activity: 479
Here is a board I built for my DPS-800GB, It hooks up to a Raspberry Pi so I can monitor the supply's status and power cycle it remotely...

I like your setup. Could you please tell more about your board and PRi software you use to control PSU?

Sure; The board, made to work with the HP DPS-800GBA, is my own design it's got logic to switch the supply on and off and convert the signal levels coming out of the supply into voltages the Rpi can handle w/o blowing up.  If you don't want to bother with a Pi you can also just use a jumper to turn it on and off manually.  The 12 position screw terminal is rated to supply up to 15 Amps on each position so you can push the supply to it max w/o worrying about starting a fire.  The supply itself can handle 2 - 2.5 AntMiner S1's.

The board interfaces with the Rpi via GPIO.  There are 4 wires one to turn the supply on and off, one to tell the Pi the supply is plugged into a wall socket and receiving power, one to tell the Pi the 12 Volt power is on and working and the 4th is a ground wire.  I have a couple shell scripts that are a few lines each that configure the GPIO setting on the Pi and then you can ssh into and check the status and switch the power on / off by the running the corresponding on off command.  Each Pi has enough GPIO pins to control and monitor multiple supplies.  My plan is to make an add-on for MinePeon were you can control the supply right from the web interface.  I'm working on that now.

Here are some photos of my latest revision, If anyone is interested, I'm building a bunch of these I haven't settled on an exact price yet but I'm thinking $40 each including shipping.  I'll post a separate thread soon with more details but anyone interested in a board for the DPS-800 or a remotely controlable PSU keep an eye out for more info to come.

Edit: There is a separate thread for more info on these now https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/gigampz-power-supply-kits-adapters-for-bitcoin-mining-industrial-grade-622783 or check out my website http://gigampz.com

http://imgur.com/a/FmUl6
Here is a board I built for my DPS-800GB, It hooks up to a Raspberry Pi so I can monitor the supply's status and power cycle it remotely...

I like your setup. Could you please tell more about your board and PRi software you use to control PSU?
Activity: 252
On all of my setups I have the dps2000bb powering the pcie connectors and the 12v wire for the riser card. The 5v line goes to a hd connector on the psu running the motherboard, and both grounds are tied together at the riser connection. No problems whatsoever.

Yep, that will work just fine.  Connecting negative terminals between power supplies will not hurt anything, most of the time they are all ready bonded together anyway.  They are bonded to ground in the power supply and all of the ground are connected together in the electrical panel. All of the positive connections are isolated in the card.
Activity: 378
On all of my setups I have the dps2000bb powering the pcie connectors and the 12v wire for the riser card. The 5v line goes to a hd connector on the psu running the motherboard, and both grounds are tied together at the riser connection. No problems whatsoever.
legendary
Unfortunately, yes. I need to go over the PCB design as soon as I have time, and then we'll make any necessary changes and send off for a small batch to test with. Progress is kinda slow going because the PCB guy is also the web guy and order handling. I'm the electronics designer but also 90% of the manufacturing. There's only so many hours in a day.
Activity: 152
Merit: 10
A foreward thinking enterpreneur might consider adding a small brain to monitor temps and generate PWM for fans.

We're designing the DPS-2000BB boards with a manual PWM fan controller for 4-wire fans, and two 4-pin fan headers per board. An external fan speed input pin will also exist so you can rig up your own automatic controls if you want. People are already complaining about prices (bitcoin people tend to be a greedy bunch) so adding more features (which requires more dev time including firmware and flashing setups) is just gonna hurt more. Also, please don't equate Atmel with Arduino. It's an insult to Atmel.

I take it that the boards are still in development ?
legendary
A foreward thinking enterpreneur might consider adding a small brain to monitor temps and generate PWM for fans.

We're designing the DPS-2000BB boards with a manual PWM fan controller for 4-wire fans, and two 4-pin fan headers per board. An external fan speed input pin will also exist so you can rig up your own automatic controls if you want. People are already complaining about prices (bitcoin people tend to be a greedy bunch) so adding more features (which requires more dev time including firmware and flashing setups) is just gonna hurt more. Also, please don't equate Atmel with Arduino. It's an insult to Atmel.
Activity: 386
Excellent thread!

Thx all who posted links for parts.

I'm DIYing my IBM and HP PSU's but I'll throw down for the cause when they ready.
(My HW setup is typically a moving target anyways)

I am most familiar with TI MSP430 mixed signal micro's but Atmel(Adruino) has similar offerings.
Adruino prolly has more web support from users but TI has a good collection of examples included with the free IDE. I am TI centric but not biased Smiley

EX:
With a USD $9.00 launchpad you could measure 2-3 temps and generate a couple clocks.
bare chips are WAY less, each board could have a chip and user could add USB(launchpad or adruino) if desired.

Copper is free on PCB's, it could remain an unpopulated option.
(assumes SMD parts, holes are expensive on PCB's)
Just my .000001 Satoshis.

Thx again all, for the HW  pr0n!

YMMV
Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: