Pages:
Author

Topic: Sixth alt coin thread I forgot to mod last thread. - page 31. (Read 80183 times)

Activity: 325
Merit: 110
Well I just spend 5 hours trying to get 4 * Vega 64 working on a Gigabyte Z170-HD3. I have 3 cards detected and running at 2050h/s... but it can't see the 4th card. In fact, I have only ever seen it in Windows ONCE.

I'm thinking of buying an ASUS Z270-P and doing a straight swap.

I've tried a lot including new risers, swapping in and out etc.
legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
Cool, very tidy. I look forward to hearing the temps on a fully stocked rig. I'd like to go this way from risers too.

Does the board connect to psu through all the pcie on the right (of the first photo) and then the connectors on the back are 'jumpers' to the cards?

Right the GPU0 is at 68 degrees with fan at 50%.  Room is rather warm at 26 degrees.  The other GPU's are in the mid 50's.  The fans I used are pretty weak, so I might get more powerful ones if needed.  One thing I thought about was to add another 1/2" angle stock at the bottom to "seal", forcing all the air to be pushed through the cards.  I'm assuming the colorful board is running the fans at 100% speed but I'm not sure.  Next time I'm in the BIOS I'll have a look to see if it tells me.  (the 3 fans are connected to fan headers on the mobo)

Yes, the PSU is feeding the colorful via 8x PCIe power cables and the colorful is, in turn, feeding the GPU's.

try  these fans  please  and measure  temp drop

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA9ZH3S91539&cm_re=scythe_120mm_fan-_-1YF-0015-00008-_-Product

https://www.amazon.com/Scythe-DFS123812H-3000-Ultra-Kaze-120mm/dp/B001JKNMBE/ref=sr_1_2?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scythe-DFS123812H-3000-ULTRA-KAZE-120mm-Case-Fan/322122095318?

they move a lot of air and are not crazy loud.

they also use  about  .6 amps  x 12 volts = 7.2 watts  no fan  moves this much air  with watts that low
Activity: 558
Merit: 194
It's a nice way to straighten up the cards... but the fans don't do much for airflow, as they're placed just in front of the GPUs' exhaust fans. Ideally those 120mm fans should be placed behind the GPUs to help blowing cool air onto the backplates, I reckon...

Another option I thought about was to reverse the fans, and add an angle piece at the bottom as a seal, and then drop a piece of Plexiglas across the top of the GPU's to force all air to be pulled in from the back.  This way air would be sucked in from behind and pulled through the gaps between the cards and out the front.  Once I get the missing 3 GPU's I'll record temps with the current setup, and then try reversing and adding the "lid" and lower seal.  Might also try sealing the front sides as some air will be pulled in there as well.
Activity: 1274
Merit: 556
Made the mistake of transferring some btc with too low of a fee last thursday... I'm still waiting for the transaction to go through! Sad
Need to try one of those transaction accelerators. Viabtc seems to be down, by the way. The way of the nicecrash?

viabtc tx accelerators can be used only a few time per user I think

I recall once when I got message like "quota exceeded" etc.

use Bitcoin Cash? he he  Grin
The entire Viabtc site was down over the weekend.
I didn't even get to the transaction accelerator page (tbh it still doesn't work - probably chronically overloaded).

Found another one: confirmtx.com
I'll have to try it out tonight after work when I get access to my btc wallet again.
That's a very good idea and a cheap solution too - to ensure that cards are lined up standing correctly and with 3 fans mounted like that.

Whats the dimension like -- I will do some experiments this weekend. Thanks for idea.

The aluminum angle stock is 1/16" thick by 1/2".  3x 120mm fans measure 360mm across (duh) (about 14.25") so that would be the length to cut the aluminum stock at.  I cut mine a little short since I was only going by what was needed to support the GPU brackets.  To precisely mark the holes for the GPU brackets, I held the aluminum stock in place underneath the GPU bracket lips, and then used a permanent market to mark for the holes through the oval holes in the GPU bracket lips.  I did a similar thing for locating the holes for the fans.  Btw, I never did shut down the rig while doing any of this.  Did want to loose the hashes, lol.
It's a nice way to straighten up the cards... but the fans don't do much for airflow, as they're placed just in front of the GPUs' exhaust fans. Ideally those 120mm fans should be placed behind the GPUs to help blowing cool air onto the backplates, I reckon...
Activity: 48
Merit: 1
That's a very good idea and a cheap solution too - to ensure that cards are lined up standing correctly and with 3 fans mounted like that.

Whats the dimension like -- I will do some experiments this weekend. Thanks for idea.

The aluminum angle stock is 1/16" thick by 1/2".  3x 120mm fans measure 360mm across (duh) (about 14.25") so that would be the length to cut the aluminum stock at.  I cut mine a little short since I was only going by what was needed to support the GPU brackets.  To precisely mark the holes for the GPU brackets, I held the aluminum stock in place underneath the GPU bracket lips, and then used a permanent market to mark for the holes through the oval holes in the GPU bracket lips.  I did a similar thing for locating the holes for the fans.  Btw, I never did shut down the rig while doing any of this.  Did want to loose the hashes, lol.

Nice setup, will probably do the same when I next expand my rigs Smiley

Just wondering if it would be better to flip the fans around so they are sucking out of the 'exhaust' at the back of the cards (I know they are not blowers but some air is still expelled through those holes)

The aluminum angle stock is 1/16" thick by 1/2".  3x 120mm fans measure 360mm across (duh) (about 14.25") so that would be the length to cut the aluminum stock at.  I cut mine a little short since I was only going by what was needed to support the GPU brackets.  To precisely mark the holes for the GPU brackets, I held the aluminum stock in place underneath the GPU bracket lips, and then used a permanent market to mark for the holes through the oval holes in the GPU bracket lips.  I did a similar thing for locating the holes for the fans.  Btw, I never did shut down the rig while doing any of this.  Did want to loose the hashes, lol.
Cool, very tidy. I look forward to hearing the temps on a fully stocked rig. I'd like to go this way from risers too.

Does the board connect to psu through all the pcie on the right (of the first photo) and then the connectors on the back are 'jumpers' to the cards?

Right the GPU0 is at 68 degrees with fan at 50%.  Room is rather warm at 26 degrees.  The other GPU's are in the mid 50's.  The fans I used are pretty weak, so I might get more powerful ones if needed.  One thing I thought about was to add another 1/2" angle stock at the bottom to "seal", forcing all the air to be pushed through the cards.  I'm assuming the colorful board is running the fans at 100% speed but I'm not sure.  Next time I'm in the BIOS I'll have a look to see if it tells me.  (the 3 fans are connected to fan headers on the mobo)

Yes, the PSU is feeding the colorful via 8x PCIe power cables and the colorful is, in turn, feeding the GPU's.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----
I stopped by Lowe's today and picked up some 1/16" x 1/2" x 3ft aluminum angle stock.  They were $2.79 each.

I then cut it to length for the 8 GPU slots on the Colorful mining board.  Next I drilled and tapped (6-32) for the 8 screws to tie it to the GPU brackets.  I also drilled 6 holes to be able to attached 3 120mm fans.  For about 30 minutes work and less than $3 in parts, I think it turned out pretty nice.

Once I tightened the screws to the GPU brackets all the cards "stood up" like they should instead of leaning to the right which they otherwise always do with no support.

I plan to do the same to my Onda rig.  Next up will be getting a $6 laminated shelf to mount the motherboard and PSU on to make the whole unit mobile.

The remaining 3 1060 3G EVGA's should be here Tuesday from newegg's special they ran the other day ($189).

I also have a 1200W Server PSU from parallelminer on the way.  That 2400W Delta is way overkill for a 8x 1060 rig, but I had a couple of extra ones laying around so I used one of those for testing.

legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----
Made the mistake of transferring some btc with too low of a fee last thursday... I'm still waiting for the transaction to go through! Sad
Need to try one of those transaction accelerators. Viabtc seems to be down, by the way. The way of the nicecrash?

viabtc tx accelerators can be used only a few time per user I think

I recall once when I got message like "quota exceeded" etc.

use Bitcoin Cash? he he  Grin
Activity: 349
Merit: 102
I stopped by Lowe's today and picked up some 1/16" x 1/2" x 3ft aluminum angle stock.  They were $2.79 each.

I then cut it to length for the 8 GPU slots on the Colorful mining board.  Next I drilled and tapped (6-32) for the 8 screws to tie it to the GPU brackets.  I also drilled 6 holes to be able to attached 3 120mm fans.  For about 30 minutes work and less than $3 in parts, I think it turned out pretty nice.

Once I tightened the screws to the GPU brackets all the cards "stood up" like they should instead of leaning to the right which they otherwise always do with no support.

I plan to do the same to my Onda rig.  Next up will be getting a $6 laminated shelf to mount the motherboard and PSU on to make the whole unit mobile.

The remaining 3 1060 3G EVGA's should be here Tuesday from newegg's special they ran the other day ($189).

I also have a 1200W Server PSU from parallelminer on the way.  That 2400W Delta is way overkill for a 8x 1060 rig, but I had a couple of extra ones laying around so I used one of those for testing.

legendary
Activity: 4256
Merit: 8551
'The right to privacy matters'
Just got my weekly payment... for my home GPU's:

2x 960
1x 980
1x 1070
all stock clocks.  the 1070 is run at reduced intensity 24/7 as its in my home media center/tv/gaming pc.

Current USD value at time of RX of payment: 69.87

not too shabby... considering my last payment was 37.15 and was 0.0005 less than this weeks payment. As well as being 31.22 the week prior to that one.....

also considering the nicecrash across pretty much all mining pools as a result of the nicehack...  (we need to use these 'nice' permutations with everything from now on I think.. lol)....  The extra earnings are superb!

I earned 0.0060  which is 90 usd

on a 4 card rig  decent numbers .

it was earning 65 last week.
legendary
Activity: 1848
Merit: 1166
My AR-15 ID's itself as a toaster. Want breakfast?
Just got my weekly payment... for my home GPU's:

2x 960
1x 980
1x 1070
all stock clocks.  the 1070 is run at reduced intensity 24/7 as its in my home media center/tv/gaming pc.

Current USD value at time of RX of payment: 69.87

not too shabby... considering my last payment was 37.15 and was 0.0005 less than this weeks payment. As well as being 31.22 the week prior to that one.....

also considering the nicecrash across pretty much all mining pools as a result of the nicehack...  (we need to use these 'nice' permutations with everything from now on I think.. lol)....  The extra earnings are superb!

I also have a 1200W Server PSU from parallelminer on the way.  That 2400W Delta is way overkill for a 8x 1060 rig, but I had a couple of extra ones laying around so I used one of those for testing.
Activity: 284
Merit: 102
Futures trade of btc live
Activity: 1148
Merit: 132

I agree if you are going to CPU mine do it while with the PCs that are already GPu mining

going forward I only buy I7 cpus and i mine moero at around 270 h/s per card
I have around 5 i7s now and 1 ryzen 1700 at 480 h/s and two i6800ks doing 350h/s each for a total of
2600 h/s which bascially is like a free extra rig mining monero

if i had i7s on all 30 of my rigs that would be 7500 h/s at low wattage which is bascially like nearly 3 vega 56 cards mining for me

if i could find 8 card boards with Ryzen that could potentially be 14k h/s

Activity: 1148
Merit: 132
Activity: 1246
Merit: 274

meanwhile

so I download  xmr-stak   and all I want it to do is  my cpu  and now the new version  does  both cpu and gpu.  I only did xmr with nicehash.
but I do have a good cpu a ryzen 1800x   so any help  with a bat file  that only does the cpu?

I was just recently messing around with that newer version of XMR stak that does both CPU, AMD and NVIDIA GPUs together. After you first run the .exe it will generate a config, cpu, AMD, and/or NVIDIA text documents. You can go into the text document for your GPUs and under the following portion, delete what I have in bold (may be different depending on your GPUs installed).

"gpu_threads_conf" :
[
  // gpu: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti architecture: 61
  //      memory: 9312/11264 MiB
  //      smx: 28
  { "index" : 0,
    "threads" : 26, "blocks" : 84,
    "bfactor" : 8, "bsleep" :  100,
    "affine_to_cpu" : true,
  },
  // gpu: GeForce GTX 1080 Ti architecture: 61
  //      memory: 9312/11264 MiB
  //      smx: 28
  { "index" : 1,
    "threads" : 26, "blocks" : 84,
    "bfactor" : 8, "bsleep" :  100,
    "affine_to_cpu" : true,
  },

],

When you run the miner now it should not be GPU mining.

*There may be some more elegant way of doing it, but that method worked for me when I was testing ETN on a couple of rigs.
Activity: 1246
Merit: 274
Interesting idea,

Phill or Citronick,

Know if those CPU blade cards can be ran in multiples on a motherboard?

I ask because with the profits on Monero, its been temping to get into more CPU mining...My 1950x has been running around $4-5/day all week......

don't have 1 board no less 2 boards to try it.

you need two boards  and you would pull a card from board a to board b.

since I don't know the chipset  and bios  it is possible.

but extremely unlikely since the chipset would need  to be programmed that way.

I stopped cpu mining of xmr  do you  have  a link  to the xmr software you use to mine your ryzen?  and a bat file?

I avoid CPU mining.

Focusing on GPU mining and scaling it up is more profitable and worthwhile to do.

Higher end CPU like Ryzen is of course looks good on Monero, and maybe even Neoscrypt but I cant imagine a profitable biz plan for warehouse full of Ryzen rigs.

I know a client who build a 800-node supercomputer using cheap out-of-date Gateway Pentium IIs warehouse sales that he bought at $400 each.... 400 x 800 = 320K investment with opensource Linux program to linkup all the PCs into a giant processing node. So instead of sending their files to Houston to rent a processing time on a super computer, now they do their own processing locally.

I am hoever, interested to build an array of 40 x Samsung S7s mining Monero or 40 x Moonlanders mining Scrypt coins - excitement level is definitely higher  Grin

If you use the Biostar TB350 motherboard for 6 GPU rigs with a Ryzen CPU mining as well I think it's a nice business plan.  A warehouse of Ryzen rigs with no GPUs doesn't make sense, but 6 GPU rigs are still pretty standard and you need some kind of CPU, so it might as well be one that pays for itself. Wink  Of course with the current 8 GPU riser free motherboards on the market I think they are the best way to go for a brand new setup.
Pages:
Jump to: