Pages:
Author

Topic: Sometimes tips the securities at the mall or local shops - page 2. (Read 492 times)

Activity: 266
Merit: 276
In my observation, as many place I have gone to me don't see people tipping a security man, the only time I see people tipping a security.
man is when the security man is a friend to that person, brother or course mate. However, tipping a security man is not a bad idea. It is out of human sympathy and not a criterion. And also, security should not expect much from customers, because they are doing their job, and they are being paid for it. If the work does not provide enough money for them, then they should leave it and find a better paying job and don't expect everyone that comes to the mall or shop to tip them.
Activity: 2786
Merit: 646
I haven't worked as a security before, but from my observations, I would say the securities are really doing a pretty good job. Securing whatever we go to the mall, we keep an eye on shoplifters to avoid thefts and nuisances. Personally, I am scared of that kind of job because you have to sign an agreement that stipulates that anything could happen while you are on duty, and only your family will be compensated on your behalf if it eventually leads to death. But i see those guys do their jobs with passion and happiness.

When we walk into a mall, I believe they are the first person we see, and i have seen most of them with a lovely smile and welcome message. While you are leaving as well, they say goodbye and thank you for shopping with us. Don't you think they are worth tipping? Sometimes we should tip them and appreciate them for their services because it is not an easy one and their salaries are low as well. Tipping them will help solve some other needs, or if they have a family, it will help provide extra money for the family.

I do understand on what you are feeling man on which i wont really be making any argument into that but we do know that they are really that doing their job.If you do see those smiles into their faces then it do really shows that they do have the passion into their job unless if they are really be that instructed to behave like that into their clients,customers,people that do go inside the premises on which it would really be giving out that positive vibe into those people who do visit or come into those places. So you cant tell if that was really just that showing their passion or just simply its really that mandated.When it comes to risks then
it cant really be denied that their job is risky but come to think that its not on everyday that there would be those kind of problems. Yes, the chance is there and for sure they are hoping that there would be none
for the rest of their service or into the time that they are doing their job.

Tipping? It would really be that in kind of would be depending on you. If you do appreciate on the things that they are doing then you could always opt to
give them but make it use to be on private. Some might appreciate on the gesture that you have done, but there are ones who doesnt like to have that kind of treatment.
Activity: 2786
Merit: 606
I haven't worked as a security before, but from my observations, I would say the securities are really doing a pretty good job. Securing whatever we go to the mall, we keep an eye on shoplifters to avoid thefts and nuisances. Personally, I am scared of that kind of job because you have to sign an agreement that stipulates that anything could happen while you are on duty, and only your family will be compensated on your behalf if it eventually leads to death. But i see those guys do their jobs with passion and happiness.

Tipping people at low-level jobs is a good thing, however, I've never seen anyone tipping a security guard nor have I ever heard that one can do that, I've seen it with waiters/waitresses and other jobs holders where they are underpaid for the level of work they need to do and you feel pity for them and you give them a tip. But, I do agree that it's not easy to be a security guard, not because the job is difficult but because it's dangerous as anything can happen at any given time.

As said by some other members as well, I've heard and seen on a lot of occasions where the security guard doesn't do much when there is either an attempted robbery or thievery or anything of that sort. I've heard that most of the guards are given empty guns/armor just to scare people away and they aren't always allowed to use them.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 1208
Once a man, twice a child!
I don't have any issue with anyone tipping others for services rendered. If you're satisfied with their services, tip them. However if you aren't satisfied with them, don't tip anyone. I tip waiters/waitresses when I perceive they could do with the extra penny, especially if they gave me superb services. Other than that, I keep my change or I completely avoid returning to that joint next time.
legendary
Activity: 4186
Merit: 4385
america is the only country that thinks workers deserve a tip just for doing their job.. when in actual fact workers deserve a fair wage and bonuses from their employer for doing their job
Are you kidding? Not only America but the whole western world thinks the same about tipping culture. Come in any EU country, have a dinner in a restaurant and don't leave a tip. Then you'll be sure that it's not only America.

waitresses are a class of their own internationally
but in america they think every employee should be tipped (much like this topic)
americans pay a tip to their golf caddy, their valet, their hotel staff, you name it americans subsidise workers so that employers dont have to pay competitive salary

i visit many countries. europe, africa, asia. and its only in america where is see the insane tipping culture

tipping is where economics go wrong
same with fee's for bitcoin

if you overly incentivise workers via tips. the market rate of compensation(salary) then doesnt have to increase

yes of course show gratitude if you personally receive priority, first class excellent service above the expected.. but dont tip someone for just existing and just doing their normal job.. they should be paid by their employer at a competitive market rate

i do find american culture funny
they dont want people tipping the poor/homeless that need money to survive. but think its fine to underpay a security guard that should be paid $60k minimum but then people think he needs more to survive.
if a security guard is being paid just $25k.. blame the employer dont demand money from the customer
legendary
Activity: 3738
Merit: 1708
I don’t know which country you are from but I never heard of anyone tipping a security guard. And these days it seems like everyone wants to get tipped.

We get asked to tip when picking up an order, getting a haircut, taking our food ourselves at a fast food joint, etc and it’s getting out of hand.

Tipping should only be for waitresses in actual sit down restaurants. Tipping anyone else is just getting out of hand in my opinion.
Activity: 742
Merit: 513

When we walk into a mall, I believe they are the first person we see, and i have seen most of them with a lovely smile and welcome message. While you are leaving as well, they say goodbye and thank you for shopping with us. Don't you think they are worth tipping? Sometimes we should tip them and appreciate them for their services because it is not an easy one and their salaries are low as well. Tipping them will help solve some other needs, or if they have a family, it will help provide extra money for the family.

In as much I will say it's good to help people, tip is just a voluntary thing to do because every security person you see by the road of any shop or companies they are working for, they are been paid according to the rules of the company. I think there are some companies that even forbid them from collecting tips from customers because they view it as begging and it might upset the customers not to come back, some customers even test the workers and securities with tips to write negative reviews about the company.

Another reason why some companies don't like giving tips is that, some securities make it a habit of begging customers when they don't give them anything and it is bad etique for a person who work where people come and buy items to be begging them, some of them see it as an obligation which is very wrong, that's why you see that some companies fire their customers immediately the moment they see them collect tips from customers or even beg for money.
Activity: 2464
Merit: 644
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!

Your idea is very good. Those who are employed in security are definitely a source of satisfaction for all of us. In many places there are serious security concerns, due to which they are hired and of course only those who are financially weak do the duty. It cannot be denied that the duty of security is a risky duty as any situation may arise in which there is a risk of loss of life.

However, it is not bad to tip such people, but mostly rich people can cooperate with them more, because not everyone has enough money to cooperate with such people everywhere. However, they absolutely deserve praise and such people should always be praised. Of course, when inflation was low, everyone tried to help such people. Due to the huge increase in inflation in the last few years, not everyone can afford to support such people.
Activity: 840
Merit: 756
Watch Bitcoin Documentary - https://t.ly/v0Nim

Tipping is the part of western culture but I don't really get this, why should I tip someone? I just wanna say this: People tip amazon delivery guys but no one tips those who work in amazon warehouse while delivery guys have better salary and working conditions compared to warehouse staff but I have never seen someone going into their warehouses to tip the hard working workers. Why don't you tip manual labor that builds houses? Why don't you tip Chinese factory workers who work very hard?
I mean, people are emotional and tip those who they see but don't think that those who don't see are actually the ones who suffer the most. That's why I think that it's not my duty to tip someone because if I work in factory, no one will tip me. It's your job, you get your salary. Wanna raise? Talk to your employer.
It's so hilarious to be honest, tipping culture tells me that since business owner wants to profit as much as possible and looks at employees like slaves, it's my duty to take care of their employees and I should tip them. Force the business to give you a good salary instead of promoting tipping culture, that's what I vote for.

america is the only country that thinks workers deserve a tip just for doing their job.. when in actual fact workers deserve a fair wage and bonuses from their employer for doing their job
Are you kidding? Not only America but the whole western world thinks the same about tipping culture. Come in any EU country, have a dinner in a restaurant and don't leave a tip. Then you'll be sure that it's not only America.
legendary
Activity: 2086
Merit: 1058
I guess you can tip who you want, if you feel you’ve had good service somewhere throw them a tip. It’s not normal practise to tip a security guard but I’m sure it’s done so go for it. It’s definitely not an easy job, some days could be really bad, I don’t know what their pay is like but tip them if you want.
I don't really know the history of how tipping security guards and waiters started, but I'm guessing that it could be when only the Rich people could afford to go to fancy places and they want to show off there by tipping the security guards and waiters. Perhaps as time passes by and anybody can enter a fancy restaurant, hotels and malls, they follow the tradition and tip, even who is probably better off than them. Anyways tipping is an act of generousity, if someone has the money and feels Iike it, to reward another person for a delightful service, then it's all good.
But is it important to know their history? Though some can find it interesting, especially if they are into trivia. Rich people are already showing off by the moment they avail a fancy place. I think they are only being generous to tip the workers there. And if they can do this good deed, then I am sure they are no way of showing off their wealth by visiting these fancy places. It's just that they are only treating their selves something good. I'm sure that many people wants to do that kind of generous act (the tipping), but it's only sad to know that their management are now restricting it. Suck them. Though maybe not all companies are like that.
Activity: 364
Merit: 220
Eloncoin.org - Mars, here we come!
I guess you can tip who you want, if you feel you’ve had good service somewhere throw them a tip. It’s not normal practise to tip a security guard but I’m sure it’s done so go for it. It’s definitely not an easy job, some days could be really bad, I don’t know what their pay is like but tip them if you want.

I don't really know the history of how tipping security guards and waiters started, but I'm guessing that it could be when only the Rich people could afford to go to fancy places and they want to show off there by tipping the security guards and waiters. Perhaps as time passes by and anybody can enter a fancy restaurant, hotels and malls, they follow the tradition and tip, even who is probably better off than them. Anyways tipping is an act of generousity, if someone has the money and feels Iike it, to reward another person for a delightful service, then it's all good.
Activity: 1365
Merit: 107
Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting
I used to work in this kind of job, but we're not called security guards; we're referred to as civilian intelligence. We blend in with customers and can be mistaken for regular mall-goers because we wear civilian clothes. We pretend to shop, but our job is to spot shoplifters and apprehend them when they leave the area without paying. It's true that this job is risky because when it's time to go home, those we apprehended may be waiting outside the mall, almost like they're part of an organization or a gang group. That's why when I catch someone, I exit the mall with customers wearing a hat so I won't be recognized. I don't go out with other employees to avoid being identified. You also can't tip us because we don't wear uniforms, and you might mistake us for regular mall customers.
legendary
Activity: 2632
Merit: 1172

No. It's an incredibly dumb idea and just perpetuates a ridiculous culture that tries to infect every part of American business. Pay people a decent wage, consider tips as a perk which may come in specific jobs like hospitality and stop forcing people to be polite towards you as you dangle a livable wage in front of them. Security should not be receiving any sort of extra tips, because that could be considered influence or corruption, they should be paid whatever the going rate is for the industry is and that's it. Stop dreaming up these stupid stealth fees and making every transaction some sort of murky grey area. If someone is not happy with what they're being paid in the security profession, then they can move jobs or retrain as something else.
Activity: 504
Merit: 283
Security is an essential part of the society and the personnel play a vital role too by protecting lives and properties from harm, danger and hazards. People should always tip them because they work cheerfully and are the first people you come in contact with in most places. Not everybody can do a security work because health status differs, tips can go a long way for them before monthly salaries are collected. More allowances should be added to their pay to help ease family expenditures and incase of loss( death) due to threat incurred during operation.
Activity: 994
Merit: 140

i really respect their profession (security guards and also mall cleaners) i don't even feel comfortable if i have to pass by a mall cleaner who is mopping the mall floor, but in several malls that i have encountered, visitors are strictly prohibited from giving tips to security officers and when i asked the mall cleaners what the reason was, they said it was a rule from their superiors, if they received tips from visitors and were caught they would receive severe punishment such as a salary cut.  For that reason, giving tips imo would be much better if given in secret, don't let my good intentions become a time bomb for security officers and also mall maintenance officers, they still need money to support their families.
legendary
Activity: 4186
Merit: 4385
In fact, a good security company is one that discourages any form of tips to members of there security unit. Why you might ask?
It’s one way to ensure they do there job without any form of discrimination or prejudice due to the fact that, one caught in the act, be it customer or staff is one that has favored you in terms of tips in a prior time. Having no reason to be grateful ensures you satisfactorily of mind, conscience and service to the company deliver on the job.

nightclub door men are suppose to be paid by the nightclub to age-check venue guests, ensure only allowed guests enter and the venue doesnt get over crowded, ensure no one gets too intoxicated as all these things can create legal trouble for the venue. the breaking up of fights is not for the benefit of the guests its to lower the liability of the venue
when nightclub doormen get a tip from guests its usually to jump the queue or get in without age-check or to bribe the doorman to signal/split the tip with the bar man to give extra/free concessions to the guest. which can cost the business

where as supermarket/mall security should not be interacting with customers so there should be no tipping

in all security roles the employer should be paying the security an adequate wage. if the OP thinks he is not getting paid enough, or treated well enough by his employer that he needs to side hustle customers/guests.. its time he looks for a better job

dont blame the customers for not subsidising wages. blame the employer for not adequately paying a wage
Activity: 2856
Merit: 794
I am terrible at Fantasy Football!!!
That’s your opinion and it’s well received. Tipping is purely optional and should never be mandated. If you feel the service received is good and worthy of appreciation, then by all means, go ahead and tip. Giving tips is an optional gesture of being thankful from the customer for an excellent service provided.

I’d like to think that security being a priority in any organization or business, would pay their security staff a decent amount. Asides that, no employee should have to rely on tips to augment what they get paid.

That's right, giving the tip is optional. If you really appreciate what the guard is doing to you, why not, right? Give a tip because he really helped you, but if you just tip the guards for no reason, it doesn't look good.

We know that the guards are very helpful, especially at the mall, because this is where we ask where the place is when we can't see it or we get lost. They are the ones who give us directions, I often ask the guard for directions because they already memorize the malls. I don't often give tips to the guards, but I don't lose my gratitude to them after they help me, the others are okay with them that you appreciate what they did for you.
My personal policy when it comes to jobs in which I do not normally give a tip has always been to give a tip to those that go out of their way to help me, so if a security guard helped me with something they did not had to, I will give them a tip, however giving a tip just because they are doing their job does not seem right to me, as if I were to apply that criteria then I will need to give a tip to every single person that was working and that I met along the way.
Activity: 1442
Merit: 153
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
That’s your opinion and it’s well received. Tipping is purely optional and should never be mandated. If you feel the service received is good and worthy of appreciation, then by all means, go ahead and tip. Giving tips is an optional gesture of being thankful from the customer for an excellent service provided.

I’d like to think that security being a priority in any organization or business, would pay their security staff a decent amount. Asides that, no employee should have to rely on tips to augment what they get paid.

That's right, giving the tip is optional. If you really appreciate what the guard is doing to you, why not, right? Give a tip because he really helped you, but if you just tip the guards for no reason, it doesn't look good.

We know that the guards are very helpful, especially at the mall, because this is where we ask where the place is when we can't see it or we get lost. They are the ones who give us directions, I often ask the guard for directions because they already memorize the malls. I don't often give tips to the guards, but I don't lose my gratitude to them after they help me, the others are okay with them that you appreciate what they did for you.
Activity: 2660
Merit: 608
Vave.com - Crypto Casino

There's this incident in our country when a security guy have taken hostages because he just want to get the attention of the company that he's working for. He has said that he's been fired and the company was very corrupt with their practices and he can't take it anymore. I know that their job is hard and they are also like the cops that are assigned into one details. But if you ever guys are interested with that story that I have mentioned that has happened in our country pre-pandemic, you'll get to understand why in our country this job isn't given importance because many belittles them. There's the video that I've watched from CNA (Singaporean news) that has made a flash back about it. I think if you want to tip them, you can tip them but it depends if their agencies allow it.
Article: (Hostage-taking security guard refused P1M from employer; insisted on being heard)
YouTube video: (Grenade-Wielding Former Security Guard Takes Over 50 Hostages In Manila Mall | The Negotiators)
legendary
Activity: 1414
Merit: 1108

tipping is usually only for businesses too cheap to value their employee's (EG waitresses)
if a business cares about its employees they should fairly pay their staff. let their wage be the appreciation of the job that they do

secondly, security guards these days are just a visual deterrent, they are not allowed to get "hands on" even if they know a thief has stolen goods on them. all they can do is observe and report
I think one thing the OP forgot is that, they are doing their job. You don’t get tipped for doing your job, of course it’s your job, it’s what you’re employed and paid to do. A tip comes in due to the nature at which you deliver the service or product. That extra work you put in, that gesture, that passion shown towards the appreciation of the customer, to ensure they know that they are valid is just what might attract a tip or promotion from your employers.

In fact, a good security company is one that discourages any form of tips to members of there security unit. Why you might ask?
It’s one way to ensure they do there job without any form of discrimination or prejudice due to the fact that, one caught in the act, be it customer or staff is one that has favored you in terms of tips in a prior time. Having no reason to be grateful ensures you satisfactorily of mind, conscience and service to the company deliver on the job.

Like good Franky1 already said, you’ve got to pay well to archive this of your security unit.
Pages:
Jump to: