Author

Topic: Starting a new FPGA mining farm/contract! Cognitive Resurrected on[Havelock] - page 138. (Read 300616 times)

legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
What's a GPU?
As a Cognitive investor, I am against this since failcoins seem to me a waste of time and money. But I am curious to hear why you have a different opinion.

First of all, I have to argue that Litecoin is in my opinion the best alt coin, and will probably succeed. The opposing views of alt coins are mostly caused by different definitions of "success". Some people think a successful alt coin should be at par with btc, or even just hit $1, but Litecoin has recently drawn the attention of GPU miners because it is actually more profitable to mine ltc and sell for btc (although I don't support this, and really want a way to pay dividends in ltc if we mine them).

I think if this was a GPU powered security it would make lots of sense, but with only FPGA power it would mean more hardware being brought in. Unless when (if) ASICs are released people are having GPU fire sales and we could pick up cheap cards.

My feeling here is that the fire sale will be avoided and the Litecoin hashrate (and Litecoin itself) will flourish. I do agree that if we were already a GPU mining company it would be in our best interest to switch. Even so, I would want a way to pay the dividends in LTC.

You'll also probably want to partner with a facility with lots of power available close by.  The FPGA's are great running at home, but if you want to seriously scale with GPU's you're going to need lots of power.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.  By my calculations you can only get ~6-8 6950's on a 20A circuit.  (keeping in mind that you don't want to run a 20A circuit beyond 16-17A.)

Cheers.

Yes, if we are ever to massively expand with GPUs I have two places in mind, both owned by family friends.

While on this topic, what are your opinions on a bit of expansion? My guess is that ASICs will not come until early next year. As of now it seems that BFL is a good long term choice mainly because of their ASIC upgrade plan, while other FPGA companies can guarantee a delivery in an extremely reasonable amount of time.
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1006
Lead Blockchain Developer
You'll also probably want to partner with a facility with lots of power available close by.  The FPGA's are great running at home, but if you want to seriously scale with GPU's you're going to need lots of power.  Please correct me if I'm wrong.  By my calculations you can only get ~6-8 6950's on a 20A circuit.  (keeping in mind that you don't want to run a 20A circuit beyond 16-17A.)

Cheers.
Activity: 267
Merit: 250
I think if this was a GPU powered security it would make lots of sense, but with only FPGA power it would mean more hardware being brought in. Unless when (if) ASICs are released people are having GPU fire sales and we could pick up cheap cards.
legendary
Activity: 2352
Merit: 1064
Bitcoin is antisemitic
What are your opinions on getting into the Litecoin game?

As a Cognitive investor, I am against this since failcoins seem to me a waste of time and money. But I am curious to hear why you have a different opinion.
legendary
What's a GPU?
I just created a Cognitive thread in the LitecoinTalk forum, because of the possibility of Cognitive purchasing some Litecoin mining hardware.

Here is a quote of that post. I will be checking both forums regularly so either will be a good way to communicate.

Quote from: Garr255 date=1343710567
I'm thinking of raising a motion to purchase a LTC mining rig for Cognitive. I would hope to be able to pay out LTC dividends, but until such a mechanism is in place I will either have to hold the LTC until it is, then pay it out, or sell the LTC for BTC and pay it out as usual.

Otherwise, the main thread is here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/starting-a-new-fpga-mining-farmcontract-cognitive-resurrected-onhavelock-67547

What are your opinions on getting into the Litecoin game?
legendary
What's a GPU?
Thanks Garr, any update on when the singles will arrive?

According to this thread, we should receive them ~60 days after the purchase date, so we should be receiving the FPGA Singles mid-August.
Activity: 109
Merit: 10
Thanks Garr, any update on when the singles will arrive?
legendary
What's a GPU?
Because of our former pool payment mechanism, the dividend in a few hours is going to be upwards of 45BTC!

Not sure what that means, but sounds like good news !

I usually get around to paying dividends after Clipse pays his miners each Saturday, but last week I did it before, thus our very competitive dividend today even without most of our new hardware.

Thanks to all who purchased the newly issued shares, I just ordered our seven SC Single upgrades. When we receive our seven FPGA Singles, our hashrate will be upwards of 13500mh/s.  After all of the upgrades have completed, our hashrate will be 287600mh/s.

All of the numbers can be seen at http://cognitivemining.com/
Activity: 784
0xFB0D8D1534241423
legendary
What's a GPU?
Because of our former pool payment mechanism, the dividend in a few hours is going to be upwards of 45BTC!
legendary
What's a GPU?
The shares just went live and there are only 395 left! Grab some at https://glbse.com/asset/view/COGNITIVE
legendary
What's a GPU?
588 Bulk order shares have been purchased, and the remaining shares after all bulk orders will be put up for sale publicly tomorrow morning (PST, ~18 hours from this post).
legendary
What's a GPU?
The motion passed!

Voted Yea:2904
Voted Nay:166

I am open to bulk orders for 24 hours as usual, then the rest of the shares will be sold publicly.
legendary
What's a GPU?
Bumping to ensure shareholders have voted on the latest motion!

Voting ends in 23h25m
legendary
What's a GPU?
Why such a low dividend this time?

Clipse's pool is having issues with MPBM after a pool restart, sometimes causing hours of rejects. I have since switched the miners to Slush's pool, and we now have less than 1% rejects. I will be adding 5btc of my own funds to the next dividend to help make up for this loss.
Activity: 109
Merit: 10
Why such a low dividend this time?
legendary
What's a GPU?
A motion to upgrade to ASICs has been raised and is as follows:

Code:
Issue 1322 shares at 0.63 for a total of 833BTC to purchase ASIC upgrades for our seven BFL Singles. This will increase our total hashrate to 287600mh/s, assuming 40000mh/s from each unit.
This is a necessary move to remain a profitable Bitcoin mining company.

Voting will end at 0000 GLBSE Time July 11, 2012.

https://glbse.com/vote/view/86
legendary
What's a GPU?
Today we had a few hours of downtime. I had my brother go up and cut down an old satellite dish, and he cut the main internet cable too. So it took about an hour for me to realize we had no internet, then I went back on the roof and did some outdoor soldering. All is well and we are back up and hashing.

Well, My name is Garrett Ian MacDonald, I'm 16, and I live in Idaho, USA.

MAD props to you sir. I know this thread is way past this post (20 pages), but I recently invested in your "rig" and I was just reviewing the thread.

Good job on your age and knowledge/know-how.

Thanks.
Activity: 206
Merit: 100
Well, My name is Garrett Ian MacDonald, I'm 16, and I live in Idaho, USA.

MAD props to you sir. I know this thread is way past this post (20 pages), but I recently invested in your "rig" and I was just reviewing the thread.

Good job on your age and knowledge/know-how.
legendary
What's a GPU?
The latest motion has passed!

Our total hashrate has now been increased from 7200mh/s to 7600mh/s.

Within the next few days a motion will be raised to raise funds to purchase ASIC upgrades for our seven BFL Singles. When the FPGA Singles arrive, we will be at a total hashrate of 13550mh/s (assuming 850mh/s from each unit). After the ASIC upgrade we will be at a total hashrate of 287600mh/s.
Jump to: