Author

Topic: Starting a new FPGA mining farm/contract! Cognitive Resurrected on[Havelock] - page 136. (Read 300616 times)

Activity: 752
Merit: 500
bitcoin hodler

namecoin != ltc, no merged mining is possible.

I do worry about the economy, but I suspect it will develop.

I wonder if anyone is using LTC for anything else then exchanging them to BTC. Sorry for the offtopic
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1006
Lead Blockchain Developer
IMHO I think this is an error. In a post-ASIC future every GPU miner will probably move into LTC, increasing significantly the difficulty.

We have already watched this movie about the effects of a extreme difficulty increase over a currency which lacks of a strong economy to rely on: namecoins. Since merged mining came into scene price has only dropped. I would expect the same with litecoins.

GPUs are the past. Damn! as a GPU miner I invested in this asset just looking for protection again ASICs!  Cheesy

namecoin != ltc, no merged mining is possible.

I do worry about the economy, but I suspect it will develop.
Activity: 727
IMHO I think this is an error. In a post-ASIC future every GPU miner will probably move into LTC, increasing significantly the difficulty.

We have already watched this movie about the effects of a extreme difficulty increase over a currency which lacks of a strong economy to rely on: namecoins. Since merged mining came into scene price has only dropped. I would expect the same with litecoins.

GPUs are the past. Damn! as a GPU miner I invested in this asset just looking for protection again ASICs!  Cheesy
Activity: 267
Merit: 250
Would it be possible to buy GPUs now for Cognitive and then after ASICs release sell them (at fair value) to Cognitive-LTC?
Activity: 222
Merit: 100
Interesting idea. Deprecate the old hardware from btc to ltc mining, and if that becomes successful you have a way to grow the company without diluting shares further. Makes sense to me now, thanks for clarifying. Sounds good.
legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
What's a GPU?
Shareholders: Where do you want to see Cognitive next?

I see a few options for us at the moment:

• Expand FPGA infrastructure
         - BFL: If we choose to expand via BFL we are protected from BFL's ASICs, but we will suffer a long wait time.
         - Non-BFL: Here we are essentially banking against BFL delivering ASICs on time. These boards are delivered within a few weeks, but might take longer to pay off than we have time for.

• Wait for ASICs
         - A few other companies are thought to be developing ASICs (I know of four including BFL and OpenASIC). A viable option is to wait it out.

• GPUs
         - A common reaction here is "what?", but this is a decent choice in my opinion. GPU mining still produces the most return when looking at mh:$ ratio. Even when ASICs are released we can switch to Litecoin mining (which will likely be more profitable then than it is now) or even sell the hardware and regain most of the investment. The only downside to GPU mining is the massive electricity consumption. I would need to take out whatever the electricity costs from the GPU revenue (keeping in mind electricity is dirt cheap here at $0.07/kwh).

There will of course be a proper motion before investing in more hardware.

I'm always interested in what you have to say!

-Garrett

Edit: Keep in mind we have just over 100btc ready to go, which would be enough for us to buy a quad FPGA or a good GPU rig or two without issuing any more shares!

My only thoughts at the moment are:
  • No firm decision can be made, and there may not even be enough information to draw valuable conclusions until we see whether or not BFL delivers. And if they do, delivery time is the next factor.
  • I would enjoy seeing Cognitive grow without my shares diluting every time. I know this is sort of a separate issue and that the 100BTC would be a form of growth without dilution, but what happens after that is spent.

Will GPUs really be profitable after the difficulty hike and reward halving?

For Bitcoin mining, I believe that GPUs will only remain profitable for those with free electricity.

Mining an alternate coin (LTC currently being the prime candidate) with GPUs should remain profitable into the foreseeable future. This is why I believe it's the right thing to do if we want to expand before the long ASIC wait.

Edit: It has been brought to my attention that I wasn't clear what currency the dividends will be paid in. GLBSE only supports BTC, so all LTC will be sold for BTC every week before dividends.
My only thoughts at the moment are:
  • No firm decision can be made, and there may not even be enough information to draw valuable conclusions until we see whether or not BFL delivers. And if they do, delivery time is the next factor.
  • I would enjoy seeing Cognitive grow without my shares diluting every time. I know this is sort of a separate issue and that the 100BTC would be a form of growth without dilution, but what happens after that is spent.

Will GPUs really be profitable after the difficulty hike and reward halving?
legendary
What's a GPU?
Shareholders: Where do you want to see Cognitive next?

I see a few options for us at the moment:

• Expand FPGA infrastructure
         - BFL: If we choose to expand via BFL we are protected from BFL's ASICs, but we will suffer a long wait time.
         - Non-BFL: Here we are essentially banking against BFL delivering ASICs on time. These boards are delivered within a few weeks, but might take longer to pay off than we have time for.

• Wait for ASICs
         - A few other companies are thought to be developing ASICs (I know of four including BFL and OpenASIC). A viable option is to wait it out.

• GPUs
         - A common reaction here is "what?", but this is a decent choice in my opinion. GPU mining still produces the most return when looking at mh:$ ratio. Even when ASICs are released we can switch to Litecoin mining (which will likely be more profitable then than it is now) or even sell the hardware and regain most of the investment. The only downside to GPU mining is the massive electricity consumption. I would need to take out whatever the electricity costs from the GPU revenue (keeping in mind electricity is dirt cheap here at $0.07/kwh).

There will of course be a proper motion before investing in more hardware.

I'm always interested in what you have to say!

-Garrett

Edit: Keep in mind we have just over 100btc ready to go, which would be enough for us to buy a quad FPGA or a good GPU rig or two without issuing any more shares!
Thanks for the update Garret!  Smiley

legendary
What's a GPU?
Huh Huh Huh

Why so low dividends? Any issue while mining? Maths simply do not match  Undecided

I typed this last night and forgot to post:

The BitMinter payout for last week did not go to the address I specified. I'm currently going back and forth with them but they keep insisting it was my error, which seems impossible. I'm only using them until I can move the Singles to a cgminer host where we have free reign over pools (hopefully tomorrow).

I'm going to keep fighting them until we get the coins!
 Huh Huh Huh

Why so low dividends? Any issue while mining? Maths simply do not match  Undecided

legendary
What's a GPU?
The motion has passed!

Details here: https://glbse.com/vote/view/103

BTC100 will be deposited with Patrick shortly.
Activity: 532
A motion has been raised to deposit our extra funds with PatrickHarnett.

https://glbse.com/vote/view/103

What was the results of the motion?
legendary
What's a GPU?
Thanks for the positive feedback Smiley

Cognitive-LTC is not going to exist. Instead, I will be focusing entirely on the original Cognitive.

Here is a poll asking which exchange you want to see Cognitive-LTC on. I personally support LitecoinGlobal, but whichever comes out on top here will be what we go with.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/cognitive-ltc-which-exchange-102175

Update:

Main Cognitive-LTC thread is here: http://forum.litecoin.net/index.php/topic,568.0.html
Our seven BFL Singles have arrived and are hashing. We now have a total hashrate of 13570 mh/s!

Here's a picture I took of all our mining hardware (before moving the Singles to their permanent location).

Because of personal circumstances, I need to pay dividends today. To compensate for this, I will include the estimated earnings for the remainder of the week out of pocket. What actually gets mined throughout the remainder of this week will be included in next week's dividends.

Cheers,
Garrett

Great news!!!!

That means 41.3 bitcoins per week (being conservative, current difficulty and 95% PPS assumed), which gives a fantastic 0.0052 dividend per share!

That's rad! Thanks for the update.
legendary
What's a GPU?
Our seven BFL Singles have arrived and are hashing. We now have a total hashrate of 13570 mh/s!

Here's a picture I took of all our mining hardware (before moving the Singles to their permanent location).

Because of personal circumstances, I need to pay dividends today. To compensate for this, I will include the estimated earnings for the remainder of the week out of pocket. What actually gets mined throughout the remainder of this week will be included in next week's dividends.

Cheers,
Garrett
legendary
What's a GPU?
A motion has been raised to deposit our extra funds with PatrickHarnett.

https://glbse.com/vote/view/103
legendary
What's a GPU?
Our Singles have shipped and should be hashing next week. This will more than double the dividends assuming constant difficulty!
legendary
What's a GPU?
I will raise a motion to deposit extra funds with Patrick.

Additionally: Quote from this thread.

Crpto::Stocks just opened up Litecoin support today, and I thought it could be a worthwhile idea to start a Cognitive Sub-asset on this exchange called "Cognitive-LTC". The contract would be similar to Cognitive's, and the main change would be mining Litecoins as opposed to Bitcoins, obviously.

Because GPU mining is currently the most efficient way to generate Litecoins, this is the way we will go about doing it. The main reason for creating a Cognitive sub-asset is to create an instant establishment of trust that Cognitive has already acquired, therefore increasing investor confidence which boosts value.

I plan to create the asset within a week. I appreciate any questions, comments, and objections Smiley

-Garrett
Jump to: