Pages:
Author

Topic: Steem pyramid scheme revealed - page 28. (Read 107059 times)

legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049
October 24, 2016, 12:45:43 PM
The liquidity factor is also negligible in those terms, where you are willing to invest for years because you view the prospects are very good. (Take AlexGR for example, he seems reasonably positive about it longer term, and likely doesn't care that he has to be locked in for at last 1-2 years.)

I am positive because the idea is based on a solid concept. I do have asterisks though that bother me, and I've repeated them over time

- simplicity should be a goal (it's still too complicated, or where complexity is obfuscated, misunderstood)

- the closed loop economy should be fixed in some way. When I first said that, I hadn't really contemplated the possibility that advertisers might want to buy SP to create ad accounts with ad posts, so when I did, I realized the loop wasn't as closed as I originally thought. Advertisers buy SP and then upvote their content to visibility. Then I re-assessed that this model would be DOA due to flagging, so we are back to square 1.

- reward scaling (bloggers increase necessitates marketcap increase to keep rewards stable). This is a major issue that I can't see getting fixed without external revenues.

- ease-of-use in essential features. For example, you can't have a blogging platform and need to go to external editors to have a nice result in your posts. That's not acceptable. In general the small essential features that are needed in the platform are added at a very slow pace. I understand that price is something that is in the influence of the "markets" but there are things that can be fixed by working on them. Perhaps the team needs more devs.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049
October 24, 2016, 12:22:25 PM
They could make the system much more attractive to investors by simply stopping printing so many coins. If there was a real purpose for doing so I would understand but it seems they are shooting themselves in the foot with the insane inflation.

I think the real revelation of what Dan created is that most people are clueless in maths. There is no insane inflation if you hold SP and Steem inflation doesn't affect you. Except perhaps indirectly, by the perception of those clueless enough to think that price direction matters, when all that matters is My_Holdings X Price.

If My_Holdings go up 3-4 times and price goes down 2-3 times, I'm in the green.

According to coinmarketcap.com, in July 9th, price was 0.0006 and marketcap was 30mn. Right now price is ~half, at 0.0003, and marketcap 38mn.

I want to say to Ned that the best way to make sure people are invested long term is if the design is sound and sustainable with the right incentives. Many others and I are wondering how the steem price will increase with such inflation.

But it is not necessary to increase. That's the thing. As I said in an earlier post, assuming price is stable, in a couple of years 1k USD worth of SP that I have right now, will be 2mn USD.

AlexGR you seem to think that as long as you get compensated for the price decline it's all good but you fail to recognize the importance of the price of steem. The price of steem is directly linked to the capacity of steemit to pay new bloggers, if the price keeps decreasing due to the inflation ( as we ve seen in the last month or two) then investors gets a signal that this platform has less and less money to pay for bloggers, so you will be sure they won't buy the currency.

I don't "think" that's the way it is. It is pure maths.

If someone said to you, do you want 10 steem worth 1000$ each, or do you want 100,000 STEEM worth 1$ each, would you take the total of 10k or the total of 100k? Does the price matter if the price is 100 times lower? No.

The reward pool is based not only on the individual price of the token but also in the numbers issued of it. Essentially the reward pool is based on the marketcap, not the price of Steem. The reward pool for authors could be 1000 STEEM x 10$ for a 10k USD per day total.... oooor, or it could be 100,000 STEEM per day at a price of 0.1$. It'd be the exact same thing.

As for the price decline, I think all the "sentiment" is because the price spiked and then it got down. However, over the long-run, Steem is going well.

What's of actual importance to investors is the closed-loop economy, in other words the viability of the system to generate revenue instead of being a perpetual drain in their pocket.

The 10% system that you propose is good, not in actual terms, but in things affecting people perception. But then there's the lack of incentive to hold SP. The system may need a redesign in that aspect.
Activity: 630
Merit: 500
October 24, 2016, 09:55:23 AM
That said, there are other people working on different applications to work on the same blockchain, so maybe one or more of those will get it more right. That is my biggest hope for any kind of recovery at this point.

Other than payouts based on voting, what other compelling reason would drive adoption? What compelling features require a blockchain?

My answer is all about commerce. And that is all I will say about it for the moment.

The problem with Steem is that there is the distribution is fundamentally wrong, just to favour a selected few. The greediness of Steem developers caused this, there is no justification for centralizing the distribution of these tokens, the growth of the token too is really not based on solid fundamentals but a classic pump and dump chart. I only pity the gullible investors that their BTC have been trapped into the project
Activity: 336
Merit: 265
October 24, 2016, 09:29:20 AM
Another crucial design flaw of Steem's blockchain IMO, is that an ecosystem that invests huge sums of money will not form around a blockchain that is controlled by 40 whales.

Although Delegated Proof-of-Stake is supposedly to be controlled by the votes of everyone, fact is the power-law distribution will prevent that from ever being the case. Thus the ecosystem investors always have to worry about competing with the 40 whales and their cronies.

The entire reason for a blockchain was to avoid that problem.

Thus until someone invents a blockchain that is impervious to centralization of control, then ecosystem investments are going be muted compared to what they could theoretically be.

I have a design for a blockchain (which in theory scales much better than Steem's DPOS) that keeps the control distributed with those who transact. And this is one of the reasons we can't make transaction fees 0, which afaics (IMO) is another egregious flaw in Steem's design.

IMO the hare doesn't win this race for producing the correct blockchain. The tortoise will methodically win, because it is about building an ecosystem, which doesn't happen overnight.
October 24, 2016, 09:18:21 AM
BTW, my stake was closer to 2% than 1%, though it might be smaller now. You have to add a few accounts together.

Congrats. If you manage to get 2% of the altcoin that does really become a $10-100 billion market cap long-enough for you to cashout (or stable perpetual value), then I'll really be impressed (even if I have 5%).
October 24, 2016, 09:09:53 AM
McAfree was only not primarily referring to the liquidity available for him to cashout 1% a week, rather the fact that he can't cashout 30% in week because he is forced to lock it for a 1 year weighed average cashout.

Fair enough, but he can't cash out 30% of a private business or real estate or many other investments in a week either.

Apples and oranges. We diversify into speculations either in very small portions hoping for 100X gain homeruns, or for liquidity from other more conservative investments.

Long-term on altcoins is reasonable risk because we have the option to cashout on a skyrocketing pump. If ever there is an altcoin that rises steadily, then great but that has not been the norm.

In short, liquidity is one of the advantages a crypto-currency can offer. I am able to cashout out of Bitcoin into pesos (in the Philippines) much faster than I can from my dollar bank account in the USA, which is one reason I hold some BTC.

because the majority of the rest of the money is not cashing out. If everyone is cashing out weekly, including the Steemit account, then Steem would need 1% of the money supply weekly in liquidity.

I'm pretty sure it is. Just about everyone has been cashing out weekly (or close to it) including the Steemit account. I think the last number I saw was 35 out of the top 40 accounts or something. The Steemit account doesn't sell every single week but they do power down every single week and when they do sell they sell a lot (it seems often in negotiated deals). If anything the rate of cashouts is much higher now since nearly all devs and early miners are cashing out disproportionately (and own disproportionately approximately-100% of the coins, as you know).

Isn't the Steemit account roughly 40% of the money supply. Afair, they have not been cashing out 0.4% of the entire money supply every week (so roughly $1.2 million weekly when the market cap was $300m) unless it was hidden in the form of sales to private parties?

I do agree that there are clearly coin speculators who want to play a pump. Steem won't be for them. I don't agree that precludes there being long term investors who are not looking to play a pump if the investment looked otherwise attractive (which to many at the moment, Steem does not).

Our original argument was about if there is any negative impact of the inflation on those who lockin. I am talking about the aggregate effect on all those who might consider investing long-term. Clearly there is a negative effect, because for example there can't ever be pump, because there is no incentive to accumulate at rock bottom and then engineer a pump.

You are saying there might be a few brave fools who think they can invest long-term in an altcoin and then cash out slowly over a 1 year weighted average. That is incredibly bad odds. It would roughly need to become the next Bitcoin. As you know, typically a wise speculator sells at least enough on the pump to recover their investment (and perhaps a double or triple), then ride the rest.
legendary
Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198
October 24, 2016, 08:24:32 AM
McAfree was only not primarily referring to the liquidity available for him to cashout 1% a week, rather the fact that he can't cashout 30% in week because he is forced to lock it for a 1 year weighed average cashout.

Fair enough, but he can't cash out 30% of a private business or real estate or many other investments in a week either.

because the majority of the rest of the money is not cashing out. If everyone is cashing out weekly, including the Steemit account, then Steem would need 1% of the money supply weekly in liquidity.

I'm pretty sure it is. Just about everyone has been cashing out weekly (or close to it) including the Steemit account. I think the last number I saw was 35 out of the top 40 accounts or something. The Steemit account doesn't sell every single week but they do power down every single week and when they do sell they sell a lot (it seems often in negotiated deals). If anything the rate of cashouts is much higher now since nearly all devs and early miners are cashing out disproportionately (and own disproportionately approximately-100% of the coins, as you know).

BTW, my stake was closer to 2% than 1%, though it might be smaller now. You have to add a few accounts together.

I am nearly certain that is what he meant, because I did listen to what he said in the interview.

I heard the interview too, and I'm not sure that's what he meant (I just logically think that makes the most sense). It was a very fast comment without a lot of explanation.

I do agree that there are clearly coin speculators who want to play a pump. Steem won't be for them. I don't agree that precludes there being long term investors who are not looking to play a pump if the investment looked otherwise attractive (which to many at the moment, Steem does not).

October 24, 2016, 08:14:51 AM
humanINTEL can id real content ... amplify that and you win ... stick with linear math

Linear math for the voting rewards can't prevent Sybils. We already covered this in great detail upthread.

Sorry the problem is rewards via voting. That can never be an objective system. Either you have Sybils or you have whale extraction. There is no other mathematical option.

Looks like those behave orthogonal... Only a very small point of correlation...

What behaves orthogonal?
October 24, 2016, 08:03:44 AM
That is mostly inapplicable to my point, except that a lack of speculation liquidity can also remove a reason to invest for 1 year while it is only a low. Typically altcoins collapse to a long valley low for a year or so, and then after bottom fishing accumulation they get a pump. But since you can't cash out on a pump, this is entirely impossible for Steem. See edicts can't do just one thing. There is a confluence of negative effects. Clearly you now understand you are incorrect on this.

It is also entirely irrelevant if you read what I wrote which is that you would invest for >1-2 years if you believe the platform to actually have potential to succeed. Not to play a pump after a year of bottom fishing accumulation. As a candidate for a pump, it is a poor investment, but that doesn't necessarily make it a poor investment unconditionally, if it actually works (big if).

Of course it does. Because investment is always about probabilities (and multiple scenarios), not about absolutes. The original argument was whether the inflation has any negative impact on those who lockin. Yes it does, because it removes scenarios which would be opportunities to realize a gain.

Nobody invests with precise knowledge that they only want to cash out precisely with a 1 year weighted average. If you had that precision in investing, then you'd quickly own the entire world.

There is a negative impact on the lockin investor due to inflation. Your imagined orthogonality does not exist.

You can't cite anecdotes to prove aggregate effects. If you want a competing anecdote then refer to the Steemit blog where that multimillionaire anti-virus software personality John McAfee said he invests in blockchains but not Steemit because there isn't enough liquidity.

Well I can tell you from my personal experience as like the 10th largest stakeholder or so, that whenever I've powered down I've had NO problem selling the coins (tens of thousands) at close to the market price. The liquidity is perfectly sufficient. This has been true at every price level, before during and after the big July pump.

It is less relevant what you can do with money supply that you mined at fraction of the profit already extracted, than what someone with capital is willing to do to buy into STEEM because we are concerned with investment demand in our current discussion. McAfree was only not primarily referring to the liquidity available for him to cashout 1% a week, rather the fact that he can't cashout 30% in week because he is forced to lock it for a 1 year weighed average cashout.

So $30,000 weekly liquidity on a $300 million market cap is very low. Your statement of "10th" is an exaggeration of effect. You hold afaik at most roughly 1% of the money supply. So more accurately as the 100th percentile stakeholding, you've been able to cash out 1/10,000 of the money supply weekly (and afair you don't cash out every week), because the majority of the rest of the money is not cashing out. If everyone is cashing out weekly, including the Steemit account, then Steem would need 1% of the money supply weekly in liquidity.

I think some people might confuse this because the trading volume and standing orders are relatively small, but this ignores the fact that demand for liquidity is also low (since people can't be selling too many coins at one time). So it just balances out, with a smaller market volume.

It doesn't balance out. There are negative ramifications.

I think what McAfee didn't like is that he wouldn't be allowed to sell (similar to your point about not being able to exit on a pump), but it is hard to say. Possibly he just looked at the exchange volume saw a low number and dismissed it based on that.

I am nearly certain that is what he meant, because I did listen to what he said in the interview.
October 24, 2016, 07:45:02 AM
That said, there are other people working on different applications to work on the same blockchain, so maybe one or more of those will get it more right. That is my biggest hope for any kind of recovery at this point.

Other than payouts based on voting, what other compelling reason would drive adoption? What compelling features require a blockchain?

My answer is all about commerce. And that is all I will say about it for the moment.
legendary
October 24, 2016, 06:41:03 AM
That is mostly inapplicable to my point, except that a lack of speculation liquidity can also remove a reason to invest for 1 year while it is only a low. Typically altcoins collapse to a long valley low for a year or so, and then after bottom fishing accumulation they get a pump. But since you can't cash out on a pump, this is entirely impossible for Steem. See edicts can't do just one thing. There is a confluence of negative effects. Clearly you now understand you are incorrect on this.

It is also entirely irrelevant if you read what I wrote which is that you would invest for >1-2 years if you believe the platform to actually have potential to succeed. Not to play a pump after a year of bottom fishing accumulation. As a candidate for a pump, it is a poor investment, but that doesn't necessarily make it a poor investment unconditionally, if it actually works (big if).

You can't cite anecdotes to prove aggregate effects. If you want a competing anecdote then refer to the Steemit blog where that multimillionaire anti-virus software personality John McAfee said he invests in blockchains but not Steemit because there isn't enough liquidity.

Well I can tell you from my personal experience as like the 10th largest stakeholder or so, that whenever I've powered down I've had NO problem selling the coins (tens of thousands) at close to the market price. The liquidity is perfectly sufficient. This has been true at every price level, before during and after the big July pump.

I think some people might confuse this because the trading volume and standing orders are relatively small, but this ignores the fact that demand for liquidity is also low (since people can't be selling too many coins at one time). So it just balances out, with a smaller market volume.

I think what McAfee didn't like is that he wouldn't be allowed to sell (similar to your point about not being able to exit on a pump), but it is hard to say. Possibly he just looked at the exchange volume saw a low number and dismissed it based on that.
October 24, 2016, 06:34:24 AM
You don't need to lockup your investment for 1 year weighted average cashout in order to speculate.
You don't have this massive inflation.

This is double counting. If you do lock up your investment then you don't have the massive inflation. Especially since liquid supply is now over 10%. SP are now effectively deflationary (though one risk is there is no guarantee that continues for any particular time into the future).

Disagree. The confluence of the two makes the prognosis for locking up dismal because there is no investment case, and not even any medium-term speculation case thus no liquidity.

Can't agree with you here. The issue with locking up is not inflation.

There is a confluence because since inflation destroys the speculator who doesn't lockin, then there is no reliable liquidity for those who lockin. Thus the inflation does negatively impact the lockin investor.

Remember that when a Coasian barrier is applied to the Invisible Hand (of the free market), it can't do just one thing. Surely you are well aware that the no edict or forced action can ever do only the thing it purports to do.

It might be that the application is a bad idea, execution is poor, competitors are stronger, etc, but none of those reasons for not wanting to invest in something for 1-2+ years have anything to do with inflation.

The liquidity factor is also negligible in those terms, where you are willing to invest for years because you view the prospects are very good. (Take AlexGR for example, he seems reasonably positive about it longer term, and likely doesn't care that he has to be locked in for at last 1-2 years.) Plenty of people invest in privately-held businesses, real estate, etc. without liquidity. Hell, even very large investments in highly-raded traded public companies aren't really liquid.

But whether we agree or disagree on this point doesn't really matter, since we clearly agree that the blogging model that is the focus of Steemit today is not a good model to want to invest in longer term (or at all). Frankly I'm disappointed that Steemit ended up going in that direction because the white paper wasn't really blogging oriented. I think that seems to be what they got done on the web development side in time for their (likely rushed) launch, so it ended up going that way.

In theory the Steem blockchain could be used for other activities.

But I think it is not the blogging activity choice that is the fundamental problem. Rather it is the model of distributing payouts via voting, which is a fundamental aspect of Steem's blockchain (for now at least). And the necessary whale control over it, otherwise it would be Sybil attacked. It is a quagmire and in my estimation the odds of them finding a successful way forward is roughly 100-to-1.
October 24, 2016, 06:05:21 AM
I think there is no market because there is no stickiness. And the reason is because the concept of earning money from blogging (or curating) is flawed as a mass adoption onboarding.

I don't think the concept is flawed, it's just that it shoudln't be advertised as a blogging site to make money...Steemit should be a social media site just like facebook with options to make money.

That was the concept. So it is flawed.

You are suggesting changes to the concept, that retain some facets, such as you wish to retain the concept of earning money from doing more varied activities yet you didn't specify whether this is via voting or how it will be decided objectively who is paid and how much.

This is probably the biggest mistake they've made which they can still rectify.

You seem to contradict yourself. Are you claiming that advertising blogging for money is a mistake but advertising doing other activities for money is not? Or are you suggesting that advertising doing anything for money is a mistake and instead only the appeal of the activities should be promoted with the money making aspect de-emphasized?

Steemit should be a social media site just like facebook with options to make money. Basically like games on facebook . Steemit should be like a social media site with many funny ways to make real money ( blogging being one of them) but you could have surveys,games,helping people with questions,predictions markets,etc...

It seems you think that it should be fun in a myriad of activities and it should be about earning money for participating.

To me the main reason people leave the site is
-the price decline, users have less rewards than they were used too

So if the money made is not significant, then earning money as a theme fails.

But there is no way we can make a variant of Steem that pays millions of users significant money, as that would require 10% inflation on a $10 billion market cap. Yet there is an alternative, which is paying insignificant money that via investment appreciation becomes significant (and that is in my design but with another clever paradigm-shift twist).

Seems you haven't used your calculator before making your suggestions.

-the non social friendly site, no friend suggestion,no way to PM people, UI is too basic with no social media option

I agree emphatically!

- lack of ways to earn rewards/ there are some people who tried blogging but never received any rewards, those people should be able to find alternative ways to earn.

I also agree, but we also need to use our calculator and think realistically.
legendary
October 24, 2016, 06:00:38 AM
I don't think the concept is flawed, it's just that it shoudln't be advertised as a blogging site to make money. This is probably the biggest mistake they've made which they can still rectify.

Steemit should be a social media site just like facebook with options to make money. Basically like games on facebook . Steemit should be like a social media site with many funny ways to make real money ( blogging being one of them) but you could have surveys,games,helping people with questions,predictions markets,etc...

That would require more than just changing advertising  (which they have never really done to any significant degree anyway). It would require greatly changing the UI and the entire web application which is currently very blogging-oriented

-the non social friendly site, no friend suggestion,no way to PM people, UI is too basic with no social media option
- lack of ways to earn rewards/ there are some people who tried blogging but never received any rewards, those people should be able to find alternative ways to earn.
-

Pretty much agree, in principle, although the growth stalled even before the rewards had dropped much, if at all, so I don't think that is a major factor. Not having alternatives to blogging is a major factor. They are coming though, just not from Steemit Inc.
legendary
October 24, 2016, 05:56:47 AM
Note still a looong ways from capturing the typical mainstream person who has no (even 2nd degree) relationship to crypto.

I'd speculate that 2nd degree connections are a good portion of the population as a whole...

I might agree except first we have to hurdle the problem that Steemit wasn't sticky with Asians (who live in Asia) and I believe ditto with Latin Americans, Africans in those regions. There is that one Chinese lady @sweetsssj who blogs daily.

Also Steemit wasn't sticky with the youth nor the middle-aged. The youth don't have the attention span for blogging (and that would to some extent include Asians, Latin Americans, and Africans since they are more childish and less sophisticated as evident by the TV programming). The middle-aged (e.g. myself) can't waste time on something not lucrative or important, unless it is for entertainment or philosophical.

You could easily just simplify this to say that it is sticky nor appeals to almost no one at all!

You don't need to lockup your investment for 1 year weighted average cashout in order to speculate.

This is double counting. If you do lock up your investment then you don't have the massive inflation. Especially since liquid supply is now over 10%. SP are now effectively deflationary (though one risk is there is no guarantee that continues for any particular time into the future).

Disagree. The confluence of the two makes the prognosis for locking up dismal because there is no investment case, and not even any medium-term speculation case thus no liquidity.

Can't agree with you here. The issue with locking up is not inflation. It might be that the application is a bad idea, execution is poor, competitors are stronger, etc, but none of those reasons for not wanting to invest in something for 1-2+ years have anything to do with inflation.

The liquidity factor is also negligible in those terms, where you are willing to invest for years because you view the prospects are very good. (Take AlexGR for example, he seems reasonably positive about it longer term, and likely doesn't care that he has to be locked in for at last 1-2 years.) Plenty of people invest in privately-held businesses, real estate, etc. without liquidity. Hell, even very large investments in highly-raded traded public companies aren't really liquid.

But whether we agree or disagree on this point doesn't really matter, since we clearly agree that the blogging model that is the focus of Steemit today is not a good model to want to invest in longer term (or at all). Frankly I'm disappointed that Steemit ended up going in that direction because the white paper wasn't really blogging oriented. I think that seems to be what they got done on the web development side in time for their (likely rushed) launch, so it ended up going that way.

Activity: 28
Merit: 0
October 24, 2016, 04:48:22 AM
>And it also showed us that locking up payouts builds loyalty. But locking up investors was really, really, really, really stupid.

I agree.

>I think there is no market because there is no stickiness. And the reason is because the concept of earning money from blogging (or curating) is flawed as a mass adoption onboarding.

I don't think the concept is flawed, it's just that it shoudln't be advertised as a blogging site to make money. This is probably the biggest mistake they've made which they can still rectify.

-
October 24, 2016, 04:22:04 AM
Note still a looong ways from capturing the typical mainstream person who has no (even 2nd degree) relationship to crypto.

I'd speculate that 2nd degree connections are a good portion of the population as a whole...

I might agree except first we have to hurdle the problem that Steemit wasn't sticky with Asians (who live in Asia) and I believe ditto with Latin Americans, Africans in those regions. There is that one Chinese lady @sweetsssj who blogs daily.

Also Steemit wasn't sticky with the youth nor the middle-aged. The youth don't have the attention span for blogging (and that would to some extent include Asians, Latin Americans, and Africans since they are more childish and less sophisticated as evident by the TV programming). The middle-aged (e.g. myself) can't waste time on something not lucrative or important, unless it is for entertainment or philosophical.

Huge swaths of demographics that Steemit is a looong ways from.

Steemit is an ideological Millennials furball and not at all appealing to other cultures and demographics. Significantly appears to maybe be because the whales are Millennials (and the entire project is driven significantly by ideological memes), which is another reason I chose not to speak with @ned and which I think the project can never become globally mainstream (never put the Millennials in charge of anything!). That doesn't mean that @ned isn't somewhat smart and couldn't do good work, but put enough Millennials together and the groupthink is suffocating. Often @dantheman justifies his designs and actions with Millennials ideological furballs.

..., and certainly a huge portion of the population with any money to spend.

Well the Asians are going to have the most money to spend in aggregate, especially after 2020 as the West collapses. The hightech nerds in the West will still have money to spend, but the 2nd degree relations maybe not. Btw, if you need some convincing on this, check this out and realize that no one in the West will be earning more than about $2 - $3 per hour for any job that can be outsourced online (as the Western Sovereign Debt/Socialism collapse ensues in earnest 2017 - 2032):

http://www.virtualcoworker.com.ph/job-openings

When Duterte was in China this week to declare Philippines was saying goodbye to its subservient alliance with the USA, he announced telcom deals to upgrade Internet broadband in the Philippines. There are huge 10 story call/BPO centers being built all over Davao for example (and every city in the Philippines).

Asia doesn't have the entitlements, so taxes thus wages can remain low (and China's debt can written down unlike the West's debt which will increase forever until the socialists die) until full employment is attained for billions of Asians (then wages can rise faster for all skill levels). For example look at Singapore's medical system financing:

https://www.moh.gov.sg/content/moh_web/home/costs_and_financing/schemes_subsidies/financing_approach.html

Most people could count a few dozen to hundreds of "friends" and acquaintances to whom they could introduce a social platform if they wanted to (especially if doing so on existing social accounts). Square that and it is between 1000x and 50000x the number of directly involved crypto-heads. You don't really need to reach much beyond second degree, if the product is compelling enough to grab and hold interest once people are introduced to it (currently, Steem is not).

Oh yes, but I was speaking about Steem(it). Of course I believe this. Why do you think I still want to create a social media blockchain project. I know the potential is there and $300 million market cap is only chicken feed compared to what I think is plausible.

And you know this too. And that is why when you see the project that can realistically hit that potential (when you understand it and realize it, which may or may not correspond with launch or pre-launch), you are going to be mining or buying with both fists.

Even if these numbers are wrong (first degrees will have a lot of second degrees in common, for example; I don't know the numbers), reaching the second degree is a sort of proof-of-virality in a way that reaching the first degree is not.

I think you'd agree we need to see both 2nd-degree onboarding and stickiness. Seems Steem may have gotten some 2nd-degree from the hardest core proponents, but they weren't broadly sticky. I remember one guy said his son visited but didn't stick around. And @stellabelle brought her friends who brought friends, who I think were somewhat sticky due to some extreme ideological motivation, but that seemed to me be more representative of the observed meme that Steemit is an ideological Millennials furball and not at all appealing to other cultures and demographics.

The ideology of Western Millennials make us Gen X want to puke. And doesn't seem to be entirely culturally compatible to Asia, although there is a little bit of the idealism overlap, the hardworking Asians are much more pragmatic. Note however, that @sweetsssj... explained in her blogs that the Chinese youth are spoiled (one-child policy) and idealistic (Communism), so there is greater overlap than with for the example the Thais, Indonesians, Filipinos, Indians, Bangladesh, Cambodians who are not spoiled and focused on lifting themselves out of poverty.

I'd also speculate that Steem has not done very well in reaching the second degree, outside of some particular niche cases like professional bloggers recruiting each other to come and collect thousands of dollars per blog post when that was the case.

I observed similar as stated above.

IMO, we can't separate the two as you want to, because they are not orthogonal. They amplify each other negatively.

"Rube Goldberg", I kind of agree with and actual market remains questionable. I wouldn't say it is as clear from underlying principles that there is no market (as opposed to just a flawed/incomplete implementation and/or bad marketing), which in the case of Bitshares is something I argued with r0ach about way back in his Bitshares pumping days.

I think there is no market because there is no stickiness. And the reason is because the concept of earning money from blogging (or curating) is flawed as a mass adoption onboarding.

What I instead think you mean is that it showed there is a market for giving away easy money. And especially when you can wrap in a Millennial's ideological furball. Appealed directly to the cryptonerds and their first-degree relations, but not beyond that.

What Steem did show us is that mass onboarding crypto might work, but we've got to have the right formula and feature set. And it also showed us that locking up payouts builds loyalty. But locking up investors was really, really, really, really stupid. So there, I just told you one of my design changes. See I am for open source.
October 24, 2016, 04:15:26 AM
It is not a fair bet to traders because as you say it is a "forced" position, traders have to lock their steem and this is the worst thing for a speculators. There is no way to speculate on steem without getting hit by the inflation which is why traders are not buying it.

This is especially true because, even though as SP investor you have voting rights, the SP is so concentrated with insiders that the voting rights to a new investor, even a fairly large one, are all but meaningless.

I don't see this as a problem at all. The main reason people buy steem power is for the curation reward. The more SP they have the more curation reward they get, so the system is working there. I understand what you mean though, people like to feel that their vote is worth more but this will be solved naturally if the price of steem increases.  

This is also why steem power should not be seen as an investment but just a way to increase your steem balance.

EDIT : Actually the main reason people buy steem power now is because they are told its the only way to invest in steemit without getting hit by the hyperinflation. 
And the main reason why people should buy steem power is the curation rewards.

October 24, 2016, 04:00:17 AM

They could have made it deflationary, in the sense that there is a fixed pool of shares and all users pay over a year 10% of their holdings in order to pay witnesses, content, etc. But then you'd have accounting issues with exchanges and people saying they lost coins. But it would be the same thing more-or-less, except for people's perception that "we are going doooooooownnnnnnn".

People wouldn't have the perception that we are going down because the 10% inflation comes from newly created coins. Nothing will be deducted from their balance. There won't be any accounting issues either. The steem balance would simply remain the same and the newly printed coin will go to miners and author rewards.

Basically you can achieve exactly the same thing but without the big inflation which is killing the price.

The current design isn't without problems either: I don't think the reverse split option in a couple of years will be without a hitch. Doesn't this create problems for investors, exchanges etc? You'd have to completely rename the token for all people to be (forced to get) in sync and don't do something stupid like thinking "oh price is unbelievable right now (after the reverse split), let's sell". But that's ahead of our time.

The reverse split won't be needed for decades if ever if you only inflate steem by 10% or whatever the reward is.

They could make the system much more attractive to investors by simply stopping printing so many coins. If there was a real purpose for doing so I would understand but it seems they are shooting themselves in the foot with the insane inflation.

If the reason to issue so many new coins is to incentivize people to power up then there are much better of doing it, by reducing the lock period and by increasing curation rewards.

One thing I remember Ned said is that he wants people to be invested long term which is partly why they design the lock smart contract.
I want to say to Ned that the best way to make sure people are invested long term is if the design is sound and sustainable with the right incentives. Many others and I are wondering how the steem price will increase with such inflation. AlexGR you seem to think that as long as you get compensated for the price decline it's all good but you fail to recognize the importance of the price of steem. The price of steem is directly linked to the capacity of steemit to pay new bloggers, if the price keeps decreasing due to the inflation ( as we ve seen in the last month or two) then investors gets a signal that this platform has less and less money to pay for bloggers, so you will be sure they won't buy the currency.

legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1011
FUD Philanthropist™
October 24, 2016, 02:04:33 AM
Ever heard of Memory Coin ?  Cheesy
Pages:
Jump to: