Pages:
Author

Topic: Steem pyramid scheme revealed - page 73. (Read 107058 times)

Activity: 336
Merit: 265
July 25, 2016, 03:21:44 PM
Looks like attractive women and people with sob-stories are getting all the votes.

It's hilarious to see retards complain about their posts not making money... fucking lol. Women have ALWAYS got the pedestal treatment in social media, no reason to cry about it. And a lot of the retards who are complaining are also mimicking top voted posts thinking they will get the same treatment.

The reward algorithms are designed to create groupthink content (see my prior post as well). If they had designed rankings by like-mindedness, then the lady gawkers would be confined to their own coterie and thus they could have the same vortex effect of sucking in all the rewards.

It is an algorithmic design issue of the system.

Is this supposed to be a personal BLOG? or something more similar to Reddit? If this is meant to be the next Reddit they need to change the layout drastically because I try to discuss current events or bitcoin trading and stumble across some retard's personal blog/intro post in every section.

Agreed there is no organization by like-mindedness nor communities.

My steemit account is "worth" $2.5K which I mostly acquired though posting, which is nice I guess. This is a new concept and it's been gaining a massive following and newcomers into crypto... it's not even a competition for bitcoin, if anything this is a compliment to bitcoin, so not sure why some of you here are hating so much and trying hard to make it seem like a ponzi scam

The ponzi scheme math for investors is detailed here (but don't worry nobody will see it as it is ranked so lowly):

https://steemit.com/steem/@anonymint/lies-about-steem-and-steemit
legendary
Activity: 1330
Merit: 1000
dafar consulting
July 25, 2016, 02:56:26 PM
Looks like attractive women and people with sob-stories are getting all the votes.

It's hilarious to see retards complain about their posts not making money... fucking lol. Women have ALWAYS got the pedestal treatment in social media, no reason to cry about it. And a lot of the retards who are complaining are also mimicking top voted posts thinking they will get the same treatment. 

Is this supposed to be a personal BLOG? or something more similar to Reddit? If this is meant to be the next Reddit they need to change the layout drastically because I try to discuss current events or bitcoin trading and stumble across some retard's personal blog/intro post in every section.

My steemit account is "worth" $2.5K which I mostly acquired though posting, which is nice I guess. This is a new concept and it's been gaining a massive following and newcomers into crypto... it's not even a competition for bitcoin, if anything this is a compliment to bitcoin, so not sure why some of you here are hating so much and trying hard to make it seem like a ponzi scam
July 25, 2016, 02:49:16 PM
Amplication groupthink effect not good (also adding another mental computation cost on the voter to decide when he/she should vote):

Payouts are nonlinear: As a post accumulates upvotes, its rewards per upvoting SP increase. So if your account adds $1.00 to a new post, it will add a lot more than $1.00 to a post in the $5000+ range.

July 25, 2016, 02:21:29 PM
Here is an example of lady Bitcoin enthusiast and I can see her motivation is to socialize with the people of this technology she had been enthusiastic about (see her "let's have some fun" at the end):

https://steemit.com/introduceyourself/@veerprit/hello-steemit-veerprit-in-vancouver-entering-the-community

So my point remains that they are not coming for a Reddit clone, nor for a groupthink, but to find their own people within the Bitcoin community. And to validate Bitcoin as being capable of impacting them socially, not just a digital concept which doesn't really impact them. And they are riding a burst of euphoria to see the first social thing they could do with a "blockchain".

All of that points to me to depression down the line when the feature set of Steem is so far incapable of them really building community. Sure the first few blog posts support the eurphoria but after a while the reality will set in that they aren't getting much community from this. And more of just a self-congratulatory back slapping (which will become redundant).

Although those who earned $1000s will probably for a long-time be influenced to try to maintain the enthusiasm, as this is the nature of how money impacts attitudes.

I am not sure if this is sincere and/or an attempt to get some money:

https://steemit.com/academia/@coinbitgold/hi-steemians-i-am-moving-my-phd-research-to-steemit

She is emphasizing the importance of blockchain storage of content so no party owns it. She probably doesn't realize how Steem/Graphene is really a top-down owned system.

Edit: another one:

https://steemit.com/introduceyourself/@chhaylin/being-born-in-a-cambodian-refugee-camp-my-story-in-pictures-and-text#@chhaylin/re-eeks-re-chhaylin-being-born-in-a-cambodian-refugee-camp-my-story-in-pictures-and-text-20160725t000233531z

There are several things I want to use Steem for. I'd like to use Steemit as a platform of self-expression. I like to write and share original content about Philosophy, Politics and Economics. I have also put high hopes that Steem, supported by Steemit, will become the first wide-spread crypto adoption which will eventually disrupt government monopolies over the issuance of money. In addition, I look forward to have a market place in which people can trade goods and services with Steem. Smiley

You know what I really like about Steemit? It's that it allows people to get closer to each other. A certain way of centralizing isolated information. People to connect, share information, and interchange values. But at the same time, it uses a cryptocurrency that is decentralizing. Making us less depending on governments money issuance and probably more personal financial freedom. Positive movements in two major macro dimensions.

Lots of idealism, but the devil is in the details:

https://steemit.com/simplest-explanation/@kevinwong/asdf-the-simplest-explanation-for-steem-s-key-characteristics-for-long-term-growth
https://steemit.com/anarchism/@flandude/the-future-of-the-blockchain
legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116
July 25, 2016, 01:22:33 PM
Dude, you're trying to criticise a system while at the same time reap rewards from it. Do you not sense a bit of the absurdity? Also, your pleas for upvote scraps come off kind of pathetic.

My point is to prove the ranking system is a circle-jerk and thus the system has no value.

I entirely expect to not get upvotes. I will be surprised if I do.

There is a difference between criticizing and stating facts. The facts I stated have been vetted by all of you here, as you had every chance to refute me during the discussion. I want to test if otherwise very smart people will reject and ignore facts.

Also perhaps you failed to notice, the first item is not a criticism against Steem but rather in support of it (except that Steem doesn't yet support community building).

P.S. I wasn't going to post again on Steem because I realize most of the whales have probably figured out that I am strongly leaning against supporting it. I realized I needed to compile all my recent analysis, and I might as well prove to myself that my assumption is correct that the system is a circle-jerk lying system.

Sorry, I didn't fail to notice, I just failed to click your link at all. I don't read steems, or steemers, or steeming piles, or whatever hackneyed terminology they're floating.
July 25, 2016, 01:19:20 PM
Let's see if I can earn any money telling the truth on Steemit:

Please consider upvoting me if you appreciate my effort. Lots effort has gone into this detailed analysis.

I hope @smooth upvotes me so he can show he was not overly biased by his large stake and thus showing the authorities he was not participating in misleading any investors. I would hope other whales have the similar conscience and rationality.

Of course I don't expect it to be upvoted.

You can criticize something without being aggressive with labels like "liiiiieeees", which then, due to creating friction and a bad environment, creates a self-validating prophecy of not getting upvotes.

I don't think smooth will upvote you, but then again, it's his vote. I won't (even if its worth 3 cents) due to the labels. We can have a mature conversation without them.

Excuses. Political correct circle-jerk systems are not informational. Useless system being confirmed.

You refuse to upvote a very detailed post which gives users and investors very valuable information not available in any other post, because of one-word you don't like, which is just an excuse for being butthurt and the word "lie" hurts you because you invested in this crap. It hurts your ego because you really thought this crap was great.

It's not what you say. It's the way you package it.

You confirm Steem is about political correctness that must match the dominant political slant on Steem, and  not about the enormous amount of factual information and valuable content in the post.

If you think the creators of Steem don't already know the weaknesses I am pointing out, then you are delusional. Of course they lied. They had to lie. They had no other choice. They had this DPoS blockchain design that was going no where with Bitshares.

They even admit in the whitepaper that they are lying to users on purpose by using a quadratic weighting function for rewards, thus their intended effect of fooling the users into misjudging their earning capacity on the site.

I am now pointing out that the same sort of lies have been played on investors as well.

So Steem is going to censor any post with "Lie" in the title. Wow great journalism ethics you have there...

Controversial slants are not allowed at Steem. Don't try to be yourself, because you won't be able to match up with like-minded communities on Steem. Either you follow the groupthink or leave.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049
July 25, 2016, 01:13:59 PM

Please consider upvoting me if you appreciate my effort. Lots effort has gone into this detailed analysis.

I hope @smooth upvotes me so he can show he was not overly biased by his large stake and thus showing the authorities he was not participating in misleading any investors. I would hope other whales have the similar conscience and rationality.

You can criticize something without being aggressive with labels like "liiiiieeees", which then, due to creating friction and a bad environment, creates a self-validating prophecy of not getting upvotes.

I don't think smooth will upvote you, but then again, it's his vote. I won't (even if its worth 3 cents) due to the labels. We can have a mature conversation without them.

Excuses. Political correct circle-jerk systems are not informational. Useless system being confirmed.

You refuse to upvote a very detailed post which gives users and investors very valuable information not available in any other post, because of one-word you don't like, which is just an excuse for being butthurt and the word "lie" hurts you because you invested in this crap. It hurts your ego because you really thought this crap was great.

It's not what you say. It's the way you package it.

I'm not invested anymore than you are, we have around 4-5mn vests each.
July 25, 2016, 01:09:27 PM

July 25, 2016, 01:08:24 PM
Or maybe they will downvote since you used links to other post without their approval. lol

I edited my blog post to clarify that all the linked posts are written by myself.
legendary
Activity: 1708
Merit: 1049
July 25, 2016, 01:06:34 PM

legendary
Activity: 2730
Merit: 1288
July 25, 2016, 01:04:38 PM
Dude, you're trying to criticise a system while at the same time reap rewards from it. Do you not sense a bit of the absurdity? Also, your pleas for upvote scraps come off kind of pathetic.

My point is to prove the ranking system is a circle-jerk and thus the system has no value.

There is a difference between criticizing and stating facts. The facts I stated have been vetted by all of you here, as you had every chance to refute me during the discussion.

I think you will get upvotes. 99% will nto have any ideas what you post but for them is only important your wroted not copied from somewhere.

Or maybe they will downvote since you used links to other post without their approval. lol   Steem is turning ugly right now. I mean with its essence not about crypto part.
July 25, 2016, 01:00:53 PM

There is a difference between criticizing and stating facts. The facts I stated have been vetted by all of you here, as you had every chance to refute me during the discussion. I want to test if otherwise very smart people will reject and ignore facts.

Also perhaps you failed to notice, the first item is not a criticism against Steem but rather in support of it (except that Steem doesn't yet support community building).

P.S. I wasn't going to post again on Steem because I realize most of the whales have probably figured out that I am strongly leaning against supporting it. I realized I needed to compile all my recent analysis, and I might as well prove to myself that my assumption is correct that the system is a circle-jerk lying system.
legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116
July 25, 2016, 12:57:14 PM

Plz guise gimme upvote in five min or you will be cursed with instaminer guilt for all eternity.
July 25, 2016, 12:52:08 PM

legendary
Activity: 1138
Merit: 1001
July 25, 2016, 12:34:55 PM
The developer of Steem is one of the most talented in crypto so if the Steem vs. Reddit model worked they could certainly rapidly develop a Facebook type extension on the same principles where the most popular content is rewarded. (You could actually create any model that paid new users for sign ups/content/other and in the process attract lots of new users and look like you have a popular and growing site.)

But Facebook has 1000s of employees. You don't develop the breadth and depth of Facebook's ecosystem and thus feature set overnight with one developer. They need a plan to build a company with many developers in order to reproduce Facebook. Or they need open source it and hope the ecosystem grows with network effects. But their license on Steem doesn't even allow forking. And Steemit isn't even open sourced (yet).

As BTS and now Steem have shown they are extremely talented, and could easily create something workable from scratch, but yes I agree they need a credible business plan to create a serious competitor/player going forward.

More importantly they need a sustainable business model to fund it all and they don't have one imo.

They are essentially hoping they can fund their expenses by diluting Steem holders. The only way this could work absent a genuine revenue source is if it became widely adopted as a limited currency like BTC which is very unlikely given their initial distribution and it's huge inflation rate.  (Alternatively they are perhaps hoping they can make their SBD (Steem Dollar) very popular, which might create new independent demand, but again given the centralized nature of the Steem backing for it, it's unlikely to become trusted/popular either imo.)
July 25, 2016, 12:16:22 PM
The developer of Steem is one of the most talented in crypto so if the Steem vs. Reddit model worked they could certainly rapidly develop a Facebook type extension on the same principles where the most popular content is rewarded. (You could actually create any model that paid new users for sign ups/content/other and in the process attract lots of new users and look like you have a popular and growing site.)

But Facebook has 1000s of employees. You don't develop the breadth and depth of Facebook's ecosystem and thus feature set overnight with one developer. They need a plan to build a company with many developers in order to reproduce Facebook. Or they need open source it and hope the ecosystem grows with network effects. But their license on Steem doesn't even allow forking. And Steemit isn't even open sourced (yet).
legendary
Activity: 1138
Merit: 1001
July 25, 2016, 12:08:43 PM
Are they seriously abandoning their account to make comments on reddit that will never earn them a cent or collect curator rewards on another site that doesn't yet exist? Steemit is the only game in town (that pays in something other than karma hugs) and likely the payout today will increase over time if the site is successful--so either these people are irrational or full of shit.

If they are the 1.3 billion from Facebook, they aren't likely using Reddit either with its 0.16 billion usership. There are so many different things that users can do on Facebook. Steem is so one-feature-wonder.

And my point is the monetary payouts are not important to most users (because they aren't significant).

The concept of Steem has some upside, but fully leveraging the conceptual model is going to require a lot more development work.

The question is how sustainable is the business model?

In contrast to tokens like BTC that aim to be adopted as a form of limited money which are also reliant on some new demand to offset new supply like Gold, Steem is a company share, with VERY high inflation & a large percentage controlled by the founders. Unfortunately the company Steemit has no actual revenue source. It is paying it's expenses (New Steemit users & their content) by diluting Steem holders at >0.2% daily. In that sense it's a pyramid scheme, in that it is a company that sells no product or services and is reliant on new Steem speculators to pay out new users and content rewards.

Once speculators realise this, demand should decline and at some point it is mathematically inevitable anyway...
Because at >0.2% a day you'd have to believe Steem will increase by >6% a month to hold it. (Steem is effectively charging >10X the rate speculators are willing to borrow at the majority of the time on Polo https://poloniex.com/lending#BTC)

(This is also in contrast to the Synereo model which is sustainable because the incomes and rewards are sourced from advertising revenue.)

legendary
Activity: 1162
Merit: 1042
White Male Libertarian Bro
July 25, 2016, 11:31:03 AM
Carrying on from my prior post...

Furthermore, please note that the Steem white paper's claim there are no transaction fees is an obfuscation of the truth (i.e. it is a lie). Users need STEEM and/or SP stake in order to send any data to the blockchain, i.e. stake-weighted bandwidth limits. The stake holders vote on delegates who then vote on the choice of amount of dilution of the money supply in order to pay the various nodes in the system which validate and maintain the blockchain.

Since this dilution of the money supply debasing the value of the STEEM and/or SP holdings of the user, then this is analogous to paying a transaction fee. The difference is that if the users were paying transaction fees, we could have a competitive market of competing aggregators (e.g. steemit.com) which the users are paying, instead of Dan, Ned, and smooth deciding for the users how much to pay the various nodes (thus kickbacks, overpaying, and all sorts of corruption possible not to mention being very vulnerable to legal action from the government and/or RIAA). Worse is even if the user is not using the system, their stake is continuously being debased! It is not a meritocracy!

This is why people are stating that users will need to periodically buy more stake with outside currency, if they don't earn enough from blogging, because the Steem system is debasing them continuously. So there is no advantage over transactions fees (except for not needing to validate a microtransaction each time a user votes) and some severe disadvantages. I am telling you all that the Graphene blockchain design is not sufficient. I didn't waste the past year or more fixing Satoshi's design and not choosing to adopt Dan's DPoS, because I am an idiot. I did that, because I can see that DPoS is a dead-end direction.

We covered upthread and the other Steem threads, that the insiders' 80% of the money supply (stake) "pre"-mine is not going to be diluted much faster than 10% yearly (assuming they don't use their voting power to further concentrate their stake), because we were able to compute from the published blockchain data that the attrition rate of new signups is roughly 80% and thus the majority of the 40% portion of the "pre"-mine allocated to giving away to new signups, will become abandoned and thus removed from the effective money supply.

CoinHoarder, this is what I mean when I say Dan always produces designs which are socialism or top-down collectivism, instead of true decentralization and maximum degrees-of-freedom+resilience. I always know he will do this. It is something in the way his brain works which AnonyMint observed back in 2013 in our discussion/debates on this BCT forum.

You could have just said that it's COMMUNISM.
July 25, 2016, 11:26:32 AM
Dan, Ned, and smooth

LOL, as if my tiny 1-2% stake even gets me a seat at the table.

If they manage to make a success of it I stand to do well, but I have zero say about anything. Probably quite a few things would be different if I did, but I don't so I'm just a passive investor like (almost) everyone else.

Thanks for the correction. My bad. But also note my point that the 40% allocated to pay new signups is likely to be 80% abandoned, thus your 1 - 2% is probably effectively about 1.5 - 3%.
Activity: 399
Merit: 250
July 25, 2016, 11:20:53 AM
Not sure if the OP is right, but this high increase in the price seemed unnatural
and now we can see the results in the dumps. It's better to wait the dust settles before making major decisions.
Pages:
Jump to: