Pages:
Author

Topic: Stefan Molyneux: Lymphoma - page 2. (Read 5015 times)

legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000
You are WRONG!
May 05, 2013, 12:32:50 PM
And you still haven't answered my question.
yes, i have thought it through.
Evidently not, if you think that no restrictions on guns means that pulling a gun to enforce your opinion will work better, rather than worse.
it always works in the movies... Tongue
How well when both sides have guns?
good too, but in the movies its always the good guys that wins. in reality i would say that its 50/50, which sucks.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
May 05, 2013, 12:30:32 PM
Evidently not, if you think that no restrictions on guns means that pulling a gun to enforce your opinion will work better, rather than worse.
How well when both sides have guns?
legendary
You are WRONG!
May 05, 2013, 12:26:42 PM
A lower chance of getting shot just increases the chances you will be assaulted with another weapon. Such as a knife. Or a bat.
proof please.

Here you go.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/More_Guns,_Less_Crime#Opposition
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Lott#Disputed_survey

just saying...

May 05, 2013, 11:25:14 AM
A lower chance of getting shot just increases the chances you will be assaulted with another weapon. Such as a knife. Or a bat.
proof please.

Here you go.

legendary
You are WRONG!
May 05, 2013, 11:16:43 AM
you cant "take out" your competition in a free market. It will be instantly replaced by new competition. The only way you can "take out" the competition is if you can keep out new competition. There is no mechanism that i am aware of for doing this other than the state.
oh! i know a method that can achieve this! its called "a gun to the head"-method, and it work incredible when there is no one that restricts the usage of guns.
Haven't thought that one through, have you?
there is less gun violence here in the stupid and evil state of Denmark. I have less chance of getting shot then you.
proof please.

May 05, 2013, 11:12:09 AM
you cant "take out" your competition in a free market. It will be instantly replaced by new competition. The only way you can "take out" the competition is if you can keep out new competition. There is no mechanism that i am aware of for doing this other than the state.
oh! i know a method that can achieve this! its called "a gun to the head"-method, and it work incredible when there is no one that restricts the usage of guns.
there is less gun violence here in the stupid and evil state of Denmark. I have less chance of getting shot then you.
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217
May 05, 2013, 11:11:02 AM

you really dont think in the absence of government that people would purchase protection against this sort of thing? i mean people pay for cable tv and you dont think they would be willing to pay someone to protect them from being shot in the head?
legendary
You are WRONG!
May 05, 2013, 10:51:11 AM
May 05, 2013, 10:46:18 AM
Activity: 364
Merit: 253
May 05, 2013, 10:41:14 AM
Disease and The Drive to Hide with Stefan Molyneux and Jeffrey Tucker
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nbkYg3saQSc
legendary
You are WRONG!
May 05, 2013, 06:29:19 AM
[/quote
legendary
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1217
May 04, 2013, 05:46:51 PM
i see that start of a war(take out the competition), or the collaboration between 'voluntary' security firms.

Quote from: Gustave de Molinari
Under the rule of free competition, war between the producers of security entirely loses its justification. Why would they make war? To conquer consumers? But the consumers would not allow themselves to be conquered. They would be careful not to allow themselves to be protected by men who would unscrupulously attack the persons and property of their rivals. If some audacious conqueror tried to become dictator, they would immediately call to their aid all the free consumers menaced by this aggression, and they would treat him as he deserved. Just as war is the natural consequence of monopoly, peace is the natural consequence of liberty.
that quote is shit and you know it.
Then answer his question. Why would they make war?
To gain market share. it is strategy 101: take out your competition, and be rich.

but collaboration would be a much more likely way they would take, to push the prices and gain power.

May 04, 2013, 03:58:12 PM
The greater the number of firms, the more probable it is that one of those firms is a maverick firm; that is, a firm known for pursuing aggressive and independent pricing strategy. Even in the case of a concentrated market, with few firms, the existence of such a firm may undermine the collusive behaviour of the cartel.

How likely do you think it will be that a maverick will pop up, in a market with no barriers to entry save overhead?
how fast do you think that the cartel companies are to take out a maverick? 10 against 1, is really no fair chance.

Except that when you "take out" a competitor, you:
Lose men, either directly through combat losses, or indirectly from quitting.
Lose customers to other defense firms who aren't going to waste money attacking when they should be defending.
Don't gain the customers of the defeated rival. They're much more likely to go to one of the other firms which don't waste their money.

So how is that going to make anyone rich?
10:1
That doesn't change the fact that when you "take out" a competitor, you:
Lose customers to other defense firms who aren't going to waste money attacking when they should be defending.
Don't gain the customers of the defeated rival. They're much more likely to go to one of the other firms which don't waste their money.
legendary
You are WRONG!
May 04, 2013, 03:56:58 PM
The greater the number of firms, the more probable it is that one of those firms is a maverick firm; that is, a firm known for pursuing aggressive and independent pricing strategy. Even in the case of a concentrated market, with few firms, the existence of such a firm may undermine the collusive behaviour of the cartel.

How likely do you think it will be that a maverick will pop up, in a market with no barriers to entry save overhead?
how fast do you think that the cartel companies are to take out a maverick? 10 against 1, is really no fair chance.

10:1
May 04, 2013, 03:56:14 PM

legendary
You are WRONG!
May 04, 2013, 03:54:14 PM

May 04, 2013, 03:51:18 PM
To gain market share. it is strategy 101: take out your competition, and be rich.

but collaboration would be a much more likely way they would take, to push the prices and gain power.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cartel#Long-term_unsustainability_of_cartels
Game theory suggests that cartels are inherently unstable, as the behaviour of members of a cartel is an example of a prisoner's dilemma. Each member of a cartel would be able to make more profit by breaking the agreement (producing a greater quantity or selling at a lower price than that agreed) than it could make by abiding by it.
also from the article:
The incentive to cheat explains why cartels are generally difficult to sustain in the long run. Empirical studies of 20th century cartels have determined that the mean duration of discovered cartels is from 5 to 8 years. However, one private cartel operated peacefully for 134 years before disbanding.[7] There is a danger that once a cartel is broken, the incentives to form the cartel return and the cartel may be re-formed.
That's your best argument? That a single trade cartel managed to stay together for longer than average?

Also from the article:

legendary
You are WRONG!
May 04, 2013, 03:42:25 PM

Game theory suggests that cartels are inherently unstable, as the behaviour of members of a cartel is an example of a prisoner's dilemma. Each member of a cartel would be able to make more profit by breaking the agreement (producing a greater quantity or selling at a lower price than that agreed) than it could make by abiding by it.
also from the article:
The incentive to cheat explains why cartels are generally difficult to sustain in the long run. Empirical studies of 20th century cartels have determined that the mean duration of discovered cartels is from 5 to 8 years. However, one private cartel operated peacefully for 134 years before disbanding.[7] There is a danger that once a cartel is broken, the incentives to form the cartel return and the cartel may be re-formed.
May 04, 2013, 03:20:33 PM

Activity: 364
Merit: 253
May 04, 2013, 03:19:14 PM
Could you imagine a society where everyone was talking to each other about what they stole from another person that day?   No, because everyone knows stealing is wrong.  And most people would not want to live in such a society, not to mention it would collapse pretty quick anyway if nobody's possessions were safe.

It's just when you have the state as a middleman, people get to ignore the stealing.  There is no way in a free society, or any society, that most people would think stealing is OK.  Some might but they would be in the minority and that's what you have security for.
Pages:
Jump to: