Pages:
Author

Topic: Study: Everyone hates environmentalists and feminists - page 15. (Read 80438 times)

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
minds.com/Wilikon

A feminist professor claims that America should stop putting all women in jail. For anything.

Patricia O’Brien, an assistant professor at the University of Illinois’s Jane Addam’s College of Social Work, contends that the majority of women in prison are merely non-violent, poorly educated, unemployed, and abused, according to her op-ed in The Washington Post.

“What purpose is served by subjecting the most disempowered, abused and nonviolent women to the perpetually negative environment of prisons?” asks O’Brien.

The professor argues that women are more likely than men to have children “who rely on them for support,” and that imprisonment does more harm to the individual than good for society.

“The United States is a prison nation,” wrote O’Brien. “The federal government also spends tens of billions to police, prosecute and imprison people, though research demonstrates that incarceration harms individual well-being and does not improve public safety.”

O’Brien says that instead of focusing our efforts on making prison “work” for women, the country should adhere to the British tactic of community sentences or house violent offenders in small custodial centers near their families.

“There is evidence that these approaches can work in the United States,” writes O’Brien. “Opportunities to test alternatives to prison are increasing across the states, and some have demonstrated beneficial results for the women who participated.”

Acknowledging potential critics, O’Brien reminds readers of the importance in taking such steps with a feminist perspective.

“If we think of abolition as a citizens’ effort and believe that women should be allowed to jump the queue for transport along the path of recovery and healing, there are steps that must be taken from a feminist perspective,” writes O’Brien.

“The systemic production of mass incarceration cannot be solved simply by assisting troubled and troubling individual women... Put simply, we need to stop seeing prisons as an inevitable part of life,” she explains.

The professor calls for impeding efforts to isolate women from their communities and says that these women can find their way forward if society fosters respect and support for them.

“The case for closing women’s prisons is built on the experiences of formerly incarcerated women and activists who recognize that women who are mothers and community builders can find their way forward when they respected and supported,” writes O’Brien. “It is possible to imagine a future without women’s prisons; whether it’s achievable will require a bigger shift in thinking.”

O’Brien was unable to respond to Campus Reform’s request for comment, as an automated email response indicated the professor is currently on sabbatical in another state.

http://www.campusreform.org/?ID=6045

legendary
minds.com/Wilikon

Looks like at least 250lbs on the hoof judging from the size of the tee.  I mean Indian women themselves are not usually tiny, but looks like all three of them could fit into that thing.

Perspective distortion (photography)

In photography and cinematography, perspective distortion is a warping or transformation of an object and its surrounding area that differs significantly from what the object would look like with a normal focal length, due to the relative scale of nearby and distant features. Perspective distortion is determined by the relative distances at which the image is captured and viewed, and is due to the angle of view of the image (as captured) being either wider or narrower than the angle of view at which the image is viewed, hence the apparent relative distances differing from what is expected. Related to this concept is axial magnification -- the perceived depth of objects at a given magnification.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perspective_distortion_(photography)

The photog was trying to tell 3 stories at the same time: the message on the tshirt, what the women looked like and were those women were working.
I would randomly guess, if he was using a "typical" pro zoom lens on a pro body (as in full frame nikon or canon camera) it would most likely be a 24-70mm f/2.8 to cover 90% of this type of reporting along various settings, etc.

Edit: you can do this type of image with an iphone/samsung phone too as they both use a semi wide angle lens.

legendary
Activity: 4690
Merit: 1276

Looks like at least 250lbs on the hoof judging from the size of the tee.  I mean Indian women themselves are not usually tiny, but looks like all three of them could fit into that thing.

legendary
minds.com/Wilikon

I wish a progressive could ask that little girl to describe what those words really mean in details, not missing one pubic hair, then put it on video. For some, it would be a progressive move. For others they would see it as what it is: more exploitation of little children by adults with this anti human agenda, ready to be discarded by other future progressive projects like disposable Kleenex. This is how this cancer made of selfish minds operates...  Cool

Activity: 826
Merit: 504
legendary
minds.com/Wilikon
I don't know what people think about them, but they keep getting more and more power and receiving more and more privileges, like subsidies.

"Stop oppressing me by not paying for my abortion!"
Activity: 13
Merit: 0
everyone hates them with reason
legendary
minds.com/Wilikon
"In order to stabilize world population, we must eliminate 350,000 per day"

Jacques Yves Cousteau

"Stabilize?"  Populations follow chaotic predator/prey overshoot/collapse dynamics, and are anything but stable.

Cousteau is fun to watch goofing around with manatees and dolphins, but on matters of policy he should have kept his stupid hippie mouth shut.

It is funny how people like Cousteau never practiced they own theory on their lifestyle and family. It's always people, population, never I should make sure never to have any kids or I should make sure not to use a polluting vessel like the Calypso to bother those creatures I am filming..

legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
"In order to stabilize world population, we must eliminate 350,000 per day"

Jacques Yves Cousteau

"Stabilize?"  Populations follow chaotic predator/prey overshoot/collapse dynamics, and are anything but stable.

Cousteau is fun to watch goofing around with manatees and dolphins, but on matters of policy he should have kept his stupid hippie mouth shut.
legendary
Activity: 1199
Merit: 1047
I don't know what people think about them, but they keep getting more and more power and receiving more and more privileges, like subsidies.
Where did that coal thing come from? Seems rather, spontaneous.
legendary
minds.com/Wilikon

Renewable Energy Fails Protesters Calling for More Renewable Energy

Demonstrators gathered outside the Public Service Commission to protest against a requested rate structure change by the local utility company, Madison Gas and Electric (MG&E). During the protest, they decried the use of “dirty coal” and called for more renewable energy. To make their point, they had a blow-up coal power plant that was running on a fan powered by wind and solar charged batteries. Before the protest was over, however, the batteries died and their solar panel could not produce enough energy to keep the power plant standing upright.

http://youtu.be/2Fs5v6NHTHg

legendary
minds.com/Wilikon
In america everything is extreme, I have no problem with protecting nature and women having same rights as males, but people in america are always pushing things to extremes, they dont understand concept of healthy extent.

Nowhere else in the world things can go extreme... Roll Eyes

Activity: 98
Merit: 10
In america everything is extreme, I have no problem with protecting nature and women having same rights as males, but people in america are always pushing things to extremes, they dont understand concept of healthy extent.

I think this sentiment is subject to confirmation bias. You have a stereotype, and then selectively remember or emphasize all the instances where your initial prejudice is confirmed.
Activity: 595
Merit: 500
legendary
minds.com/Wilikon

Feminist Naomi Wolf Suggests ISIS Beheading Videos Aren’t Real, Victims Possible Actors…

Author Naomi Wolf has been accused of being ‘disrespectful’ after suggesting footage of hostages being beheaded by ISIS militants isn’t real.

The 51-year-old American writer made a series of controversial statements questioning the authenticity of the footage in a number of messages on her Facebook page.

The initial post in which the feminist activist questions where the terror group are ‘getting all these folks from’ was deleted.

In another post, she also said that the Obama administration was sending troops to West Africa to confront the Ebola outbreak so they could return with the deadly infection – justifying a military takeover of Africa.

Social media users quickly rounded on her with some suggesting her theories were ‘crazy’ while others said her views were ‘harmful’ and had disrespected the victims’ families.

A video released on Friday appeared to show British hostage Alan Henning being beheaded by Jihadi John.

He is the fourth person to have been brutally murdered at the hands of the extremists, and a fifth, former Army ranger Peter Kaggis, has been threatened as the next victim

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2781864/Author-Naomi-Wolf-condemned-suggesting-videos-hostages-beheaded-ISIS-aren-t-real.html

------------------------------------------------------------
Naomi Wolf is an American author and former political consultant. With the publication of the 1991 bestselling book The Beauty Myth, she became a leading spokeswoman of what was later described as the third wave of the feminist movement.[4] In 2007, she published the bestselling book The End of America.

legendary
Activity: 2912
Merit: 1386
I assumed when you said hate was useful originally, you were speaking to some evolutionary advantage it bestowed to have the capacity to hate other beings. Short of that, I don't buy the premise at all. I don't see the usefulness of hate at all. I don't deny it's part of human nature, but my comment about civilized society is that we know better now than to let our actions be hateful and aggressive towards people who don't deserve it.
That's accurate.  But that evolutionary advantage is really important.  Yes it would seem it creates action sets both good and bad of many types.  For example, someone may hate certain things that are bad, and strive to improve or correct them.

Things that motivate humans can't be taken lightly or disregarded.

I think his point is even though most people are civilized, not all of us know better even today.
You cannot conflagrate bad ACTIONS based on hate with the human emotion itself.  It is astonishing to think that because we are "modern" we could recreate or "improve" the emotional matrix comprising the human set.

Teaching or suggesting that humans can control their emotions is one thing, but positing that we can or should or might have an "improved human who cannot hate" is a really scary proposition.

Now I know a girl who hates spiders.   And cockroaches.  Probably a reason for that, you know?

LOL...

Bringing all this back to the OP, the version of "hate" that may exist for environmentalists and feminists is, well, about at the level of hatred of spiders and cockroaches....
Pages:
Jump to: