Pages:
Author

Topic: Suggestions to prevent scammers launch new shitcoins - page 3. (Read 4797 times)

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000
I have no interest in stopping scams - humans (Lego people) only learn things when there is a cost.

I however will point humorous scams like "NXT" out and help educate people.

if they don't listen, i also don't care, and find it amusing when they lose wealth.

They live, they learn, right?

And they don't come back. That can't be good for business.

And the intention of this thread is to reduce the amount of people's lost. Some people just don't listen to others, it's like they want to be scammed. On some coin ann threads when I ask the dev to use his\her original username, other people don't back me up, instead they support the dev, Actually, the bagholder situation happens, which is mentioned on the OP.

I agree with what you're trying to do here, but in my experience, people don't listen at all!

I was over in the Mantiscoin thread yesterday and even though the dev has so far lived up to promises someone decided to spread fud and started a panic.

It's not just the scam coins we have an issue with here, it's muppets that start spreading crap because they want cheap coins.
Activity: 182
Merit: 100
KryptKoin is one of the best!!!
I have no interest in stopping scams - humans (Lego people) only learn things when there is a cost.

if they don't listen, i also don't care, and find it amusing when they lose wealth.

And the intention of this thread is to reduce the amount of people's lost. Some people just don't listen to others, it's like they want to be scammed. On some coin ann threads when I ask the dev to use his\her original username, other people don't back me up, instead they support the dev, Actually, the bagholder situation happens, which is mentioned on the OP.
legendary
Activity: 1090

I had the first esperiência with bitcoin in mid-2013.
Tried bitcoin miner with a HD 7870, but without success with mining, destroying the video card!
Then I discovered that bitcoin mining was only possible with professional miners (ASICs), I could not buy.
Then I met Doge coin, I got miner a little ...
I took the bank loan and bought a R9 290, and began altcoin mining in order to achieve some bitcoin. In my opnion prefer P2Pool.
Since then, I only managed to win two bitcoins, which sold to give a gift to my daughter.
So far not win anything, just expenses or investments (calculating all), depending on your point of view.
But I think there are some interesting ideas here, starting with the bitcoin which is also an idea (This is an experimental software). Smiley

Definitely there are some interesting ideas in crytocurrency world. Let's take anonymity related ideas. You can study a little about them here: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/anonymity-724208
Especially fluffypony's posts who is one of the Monero's dev team.

I wish a good future for your INVESTMENTS!
Activity: 798
‘Try to be nice’

Activity: 210
We need more miners of this coin. It is a good coin: no premine, fair launch, still solo-minable by wallet.
Would be nice if some pool (or the Dev) would be able to adapt some miner code in order for it to be minable with pools. It is X11 with an adaption in the timestamp code: 64 bit instead of 32 bit. Any poolowner around that has the skills to work on this?

Not possible. The hex values needed to identify the network is missing from the source code: SCAM COIN

^ obvious shit/scam coin called Spreadcoin or something... I couldn't resist, lol. It took me less than 2 minutes to navigate over to github and peek into the code.
My coin is not a scam. This method for detecting scams is flawed:
1. You search for these values in main.cpp. For different cryptocurrencies they may be in different files, for example for SpreadCoin they are in protocol.cpp, for Bitcoin they are in chainparams.cpp.
2. This values are not only for pools, they are necessary for ordinary nodes. If wallet source code is released then they are available to everyone.

For everyone else who is interested there is discussion about this (with me and Lucky Cris) https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=715435.100
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
The problem is, I really don't think there's anything you can do, unless the community at large begins to stop accepting the behaviour of these scammers. I remember when the community started just outright rejecting coins with large premines. The same has to be done with these ridiculous mostly-premined coins. IPOs should be held in safe escrow hands. Real, solid assurances that protect miners/investors/buyers.

Not just "we promise we're honest. honest".

There's a small group who are releasing scam coins, dumping, then moving on and starting others. I'm not the first to notice it. They look pretty, but that's all it is. All style and no substance. People need to stop being taken in by nice looking threads and wallets and ask some tough questions.

Who are you? Why should we trust you?

The problem is, some people are happy with this status-quo. Some people know they're scams, and are relying on people being suckered in and pushing up the price.

The community at large has to agree to a set of rules and standards coins must abide by to protect investors, and actively prevent the coin from getting anywhere if they don't agree to those terms.
Activity: 1022
Oh look another scan coin in the way of jade coin, bittrex adds it and then boom!

Thankfully I never get burned by these but surely there is a way to stop this happening?
Activity: 280
Merit: 250

This is so disappointing. Do you have any solution to suggest about pool operators? It seems a good clue to add pool operators to that sentence in the OP.

It is, isn't it. I wish I had a solution but I don't. Unfortunately pools aren't allowed to advertise in ANN threads anymore, so there's really no way to know other than to check the source code for specific values. If they're missing, then you can only assume that the pools listed in the ANN post has some inside dealing with the coin dev; they couldn't bring their pool online otherwise.

I added your post to the OP, so other people express their suspicious experience with pools here.

Kewl hill of beans. Are you going to eventually put together a list of the exchanges/hashrate rental sites/pools suspected as being part of the scam coin ring? That's a good idea I think.   

Certainly I will do that. Waiting for more cases to find, then I will add a list of suspicious/scammer exchanges/hashrate rental sites/pools to the OP.

I have a good idea on how to start this list. Shoot me a PM.
Activity: 458
Merit: 500
My bet is Guldencoin being the surprise package by the end of 2014... you should see the updates coming for it and marketcap is above 120 still. I will put my cock on a block and say top 100 by December and top 50 end of next year.
The problem is people are looking at making quick money and losing big time. The good coins will still come out on top even if they trading at under 1 btc volume today.

This is so disappointing. Do you have any solution to suggest about pool operators? It seems a good clue to add pool operators to that sentence in the OP.

It is, isn't it. I wish I had a solution but I don't. Unfortunately pools aren't allowed to advertise in ANN threads anymore, so there's really no way to know other than to check the source code for specific values. If they're missing, then you can only assume that the pools listed in the ANN post has some inside dealing with the coin dev; they couldn't bring their pool online otherwise.

I added your post to the OP, so other people express their suspicious experience with pools here.

Kewl hill of beans. Are you going to eventually put together a list of the exchanges/hashrate rental sites/pools suspected as being part of the scam coin ring? That's a good idea I think.   

Certainly I will do that. Waiting for more cases to find, then I will add a list of suspicious/scammer exchanges/hashrate rental sites/pools to the OP.
Of course, we can always band together and do stuff like this:
What do you think about solutions no. 2 and no. 5 on the Solutions List?

Of course, we can always band together and do stuff like this:

We need more miners of this coin. It is a good coin: no premine, fair launch, still solo-minable by wallet.
Would be nice if some pool (or the Dev) would be able to adapt some miner code in order for it to be minable with pools. It is X11 with an adaption in the timestamp code: 64 bit instead of 32 bit. Any poolowner around that has the skills to work on this?

Not possible. The hex values needed to identify the network is missing from the source code: SCAM COIN

^ obvious shit/scam coin called Spreadcoin or something... I couldn't resist, lol. It took me less than 2 minutes to navigate over to github and peek into the code.

It's time for the community to find a way to prevent scammers launch new shitcoins. Scammers launch a new coin, sell the premine or put something in the code, get rich, then leave the coin, the day after, they launch a new shitcoin and the process goes on.

III. Other Topics:

1- Do you think some scam devs are related to exchanges and hashrate rental websites?

Hell yes! And not just related to exchanges and hashrate rental websites, but they're in bed with pool operators as well. Take PPL for example. I tried setting up a P2Pool for the coin but I couldn't because the hex values I needed were missing from the source code:

Is there a reason why the hex value for the main network is missing from source (main.cpp)?
TripleThreat... can you respond to my question before logging off today? Thank you.
Ill have to get PeoplesCurrency to answer that question as he is the programmer , he has been busy with the Electrum wallet , but will be talking to him in a while! and Good Morning to all !!!
Could you go into more detail what this means.

The pchMessageStart hex string is missing from /src/main.ccp. That's a tidbit of info REQUIRED to host pools, it identifies the network. This is suspect to me because look at who has p2pool nodes:

peer pool 1: http://peer1.peoplescurrency.cf:9696/
peer pool 2: http://peer2.peoplescurrency.cf:9696/

Makes sense?

Anyways, I'm starting up several p2pool nodes and was about to bring one online for this coin until I realized the source code I needed was redacted from the file. P2pool strengthens a coin's network but seems the dev must not think so. But this is supposed to be the the Peoples Currency, right? Yet the people can only join selective pools.

This one I won't live down. But if this isn't resolved... best believe I will blast it.

Naturally this was never addressed, but I couldn't help - and still can't help but wonder... how the hell were the traditional pools able to get set up without knowing those values? Of course I'm no pro with this, I just learned how to create the network.py files for coins that didn't have them in the github and was about to launch my site. Unfortunately my server started misbehaving shortly after this; Now I'm not accusing anyone (I could've very well did it myself somehow), but because of this I'm cautious of the legitimacy of some of the traditional pools.

That said... I think you should consider that there are some pools that are also part of the scam ring.

EDIT: Spreadcoin dev defended his coin here:
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.8312130
most guys in the altcoin scene can tell if a coin is legit or not.. they don't care though if they can make money off them.
and we can tell it's the majority doing this not by my experience of these guys trying to defend their behavior and admitting to me
but by watching how the scene has been dying off.

Ya start a separate topic to discuss how outraged you are at scam coins lol
or...
go to the ANN topics and speak up for crying out loud.. but do it politely of course  Roll Eyes

And I couldn't agree with you more. Wasn't there a topic about this a while ago...something about trying to get a group together to do just this, call out scam coins in their ANN threads? Whatever happened with that? Hell I wanted in on that shit.
It's time for the community to find a way to prevent scammers launch new shitcoins. Scammers launch a new coin, sell the premine or put something in the code, get rich, then leave the coin, the day after, they launch a new shitcoin and the process goes on.

III. Other Topics:

1- Do you think some scam devs are related to exchanges and hashrate rental websites?

Hell yes! And not just related to exchanges and hashrate rental websites, but they're in bed with pool operators as well. Take PPL for example. I tried setting up a P2Pool for the coin but I couldn't because the hex values I needed were missing from the source code:

Is there a reason why the hex value for the main network is missing from source (main.cpp)?
TripleThreat... can you respond to my question before logging off today? Thank you.
Ill have to get PeoplesCurrency to answer that question as he is the programmer , he has been busy with the Electrum wallet , but will be talking to him in a while! and Good Morning to all !!!
Could you go into more detail what this means.

The pchMessageStart hex string is missing from /src/main.ccp. That's a tidbit of info REQUIRED to host pools, it identifies the network. This is suspect to me because look at who has p2pool nodes:

peer pool 1: http://peer1.peoplescurrency.cf:9696/
peer pool 2: http://peer2.peoplescurrency.cf:9696/

Makes sense?

Anyways, I'm starting up several p2pool nodes and was about to bring one online for this coin until I realized the source code I needed was redacted from the file. P2pool strengthens a coin's network but seems the dev must not think so. But this is supposed to be the the Peoples Currency, right? Yet the people can only join selective pools.

This one I won't live down. But if this isn't resolved... best believe I will blast it.

Naturally this was never addressed, but I couldn't help - and still can't help but wonder... how the hell were the traditional pools able to get set up without knowing those values? Of course I'm no pro with this, I just learned how to create the network.py files for coins that didn't have them in the github and was about to launch my site. Unfortunately my server started misbehaving shortly after this; Now I'm not accusing anyone (I could've very well did it myself somehow), but because of this I'm cautious of the legitimacy of some of the traditional pools.

That said... I think you should consider that there are some pools that are also part of the scam ring.
Pages:
Jump to: