Author

Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com - page 1888. (Read 3049501 times)

Activity: 532
Merit: 500
August 05, 2013, 06:21:50 AM
I was following this last night when this story broke first;

http://www.bitcoinexaminer.org/avalon-might-be-getting-a-200-million-investment-and-20nm-technology-to-become-the-leader-of-the-mining-market/

I then googled: Avalon 200 million

at the time, and surely their appeared associated news about another company called Avalon Ventures that had raised 200 million.

Then the WSJ ran with the original article, which was surprising as you expect their journalists to research thrououghly, but then the initial article was published on aSunday night, so who could they check with?

Another article appeared here;

http://www.efinancialnews.com/story/2013-08-05/bitcoin-gold-rush-heats-up-with-private-equity-deal

and mentioned a web domain; http://phoenixasic.com Whois records that domain as being created two days earlier, on Friday, the site itself is nothing but an incomplete landing page with the Zurich address.

http://whois.domaintools.com/phoenixasic.com

A fake twitter account also exists for the supposed ex-Lehman's guy behind the deal, Andrew Larson. If you look at the posting history beyond the last three tweets the account looks less and less legitimate.

https://mobile.twitter.com/frankieterrier

Since the WSJ, and the other 'press releases' the story has gained some momentum and appeared on other sites, meaning any hoaxster has gone to and is continuing to go to considerable effort to spam.
Bitcoinorama,

The twitter account does have me perplexed. I don't twit, so I can dig deeper. And the name they mention is actually Andrew Laurus, not Larson.

Could that be Andrew Laurus (aka The Devil) with Sam (knc), Josh(bfl) and Yifu in that picture floating around?

Haha, I haven't finished editing that post yet! I'm still digging around. Gut says it's BS with a troll that has put in some considerable effort to then see it snowball so is still spamming pr releases over the web. Sunday eve release meant journalists could not call and dig, so they ran to be the first to break...?

Andrew Laurus is Keiser Soyze! Grin
Activity: 336
Merit: 250
August 05, 2013, 06:17:49 AM
I was following this last night when this story broke first;

http://www.bitcoinexaminer.org/avalon-might-be-getting-a-200-million-investment-and-20nm-technology-to-become-the-leader-of-the-mining-market/

at the time, and surely their appeared associated news about another company called Avalon Ventures that had raised 200 million.

Then the WSJ ran with the original article, which was surprising as you expect their journalists to research thrououghly, but then the initial article was published on aSunday night, so who could they check with?

http://www.efinancialnews.com/story/2013-08-05/bitcoin-gold-rush-heats-up-with-private-equity-deal

and mentioned a web domain; http://phoenixasic.com Whois records that domain as being created two days earlier, on Friday, the site itself is nothing but an incomplete landing page with the Zurich address.

A fake twitter account also exists for the supposed ex-Lehman's guy behind the deal, Andrew Larson. If you look at the posting history beyond the last three tweets the account looks less and less legitimate.

Since the WSJ, and the other 'press releases' the story has gained some momentum and appeared on other sites, meaning any hoaxster has gone to and is continuing to go to considerable effort to spam.
Bitcoinorama,

The twitter account does have me perplexed. I don't twit, so I can dig deeper. And the name they mention is actually Andrew Laurus, not Larson.

Could that be Andrew Laurus (aka The Devil) with Sam (knc), Josh(bfl) and Yifu in that picture floating around?
August 05, 2013, 06:10:11 AM
I was following this last night when this story first broke;

It also stated:

"The Phoenix private equity fund looked at other bitcoin mining companies, including Butterfly Labs and KnCMiner but decided against investing, one of the people said. Avalon’s mining equipment will not be made available to the public."

A fake twitter account also exists for the supposed ex-Lehman's guy behind the deal, Andrew Laurus. If you look at the posting history beyond the last three tweets the account looks less and less legitimate.

His supposed third most recent tweet is as 'professional' as follows;

"Andrew Laurus (@frankieterrier) tweeted at 5:16pm - 12 Jul 13:

#bitcoin caution everyone regarding #kncminer they have taken millions USD and dont even have a single working unit, tweet me for more info (https://twitter.com/frankieterrier/status/355722412278562816) "

The WSJ running is what perplexes me, but I can only assume Sunday night limiting means to make phone calls and confirm, but that still would at least mean some googling like have just done. Still it wouldn't be the first time a journalist performs little research and takes Internet gossip as fact. What's even weirder is 'financial news' has clearly been slipped a web domain, so they must have had first hand contact with the hoaxster.

Fake site, and definitely a fake twitter, someone had a lot of time on their hands, the swipes at KnC meant it was specifically targeted at spreading FUD between them and Avalon. Yifu is probably enjoying the confusion it's causing right now, as last time he was 'woken up in the middle of the night' with FUD being spread he jumped on this forum immediately to put the record straight. Any truth in this would be the worst news possible for centralising Bitcoin. I appreciate the ASIC route has been fraught with scams and greed, but we're finally just on the cusp of having competing choice of real products available and hopefully fair pricing/returns with various options of DIY and/or purpose made units. One entity controlling all the supply would kill mining...
Activity: 446
August 05, 2013, 05:38:26 AM
The only similarities in that article are the $ amount and the name Avalon.

The WSJ article was pretty BTC specific.

Specific enough to mention BFL and KNCMINER (to stay on topic), and Yifu of Avalon (not Avalon Ventures of 2011 article). They mention TSMC, bitsyncom, Andrew Laurus and the Phoenix Fund.

The Phoenix Fund does exist, with offices in Amsterdam.

WORLD WIDE BITCOIN BANK minting its own BITCOIN......Huh?

For those who are into bitcoin for purely the profit then this could be what you are waiting for. However, without mainstream interest this could be  creating a bubble, if investor interest outweighs consumer need then it could be trouble
August 05, 2013, 04:55:23 AM

Specific enough to mention BFL and KNCMINER (to stay on topic), and Yifu of Avalon (not Avalon Ventures of 2011 article). They mention TSMC, bitsyncom, Andrew Laurus and the Phoenix Fund.

The Phoenix Fund does exist, with offices in Amsterdam.

WORLD WIDE BITCOIN BANK minting its own BITCOIN......Huh?
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
"Don't worry. My career died after Batman, too."
August 05, 2013, 04:38:31 AM

August 05, 2013, 04:13:39 AM
In one of the articles in regards to this Avalon deal, they mention that both BFL and KnCMiner were both passed up. It didn't say why, but I can imagine that all the bad PR BFL is having was probably one factor against them, and KnCMiner's new car smell probably was the deal breaker for them....IF THIS DEAL IS AT ALL TRUE!!
August 05, 2013, 04:03:22 AM
We don't need separate discussions about this in every thread.
Enlighten us as to what we do need.
August 05, 2013, 03:53:16 AM
Venture Capitalist don't just say ok here is 200 million....c u later.

nope, you have certain condition/stipulations/progress you must meet before they release another chunk. The deal might be for a total of $200 million, but it might be spread out in phases. Also, if this is true, one article I read said that Avalon would go private with their bitcoin miners.... mine for themselves. Now, if you have the banking connections Mr. Lewis has, could we be looking at some WORLD WIDE BITCOIN BANK.....making and moving BTC....is that worth $200M in 5 or 10 years??
Activity: 238
August 05, 2013, 03:51:07 AM
We don't need separate discussions about this in every thread.
Activity: 446
August 05, 2013, 03:33:13 AM
Didn't read the WSJ, but this article said they passed up BFL and KNC. They didn't say why.

But from that pic that was posted with SAM (KNC), Josh (BFL) and todays hero/villain (YIFU), YIFU Looks so dam smug, but i mean smug....like he knows he a bad mofo....bout to collect some of the 200 million headed his way. WOW.

I wonder if Josh and Sam knew of this deal during that pic (i doubt it)?

Notice Yifu isn't smiling.....
Need to see corroboration, that 'deal' simply doesn't make sense. Someone on Reddit said it was an idiot reporter doing a search on 'avalon' and got a hit for $200m for a company with the same name not even connected to bitcoin.

It wouldn't make -any- sense to put $200m into bitcoin mining, that's 1/5th the total value of all bitcoin. If you mined all the bitcoin in a year that's $131m.

I could see $20m. But $200? And why 20nm? 14 is the next process step, isn't it? What are they gonna do, strike a deal with IBM's fabs? Doubtful.

And why announce it at all if true? If you don't need pre-order money your best business move is to take the entire network by absolute surprise by putting say 10000 terahash or w/e of power on the network some random day and freak everyone out and ruin their profitability.

Anyway the article is paywalled for me. I'm laying this strictly in the rumor camp for now.

You are right, it was a unrelated 'Avalon' company. If a venture group were to invest that amount would be interesting though, they dont do that unless they could manipulate the price of btc up into the thousands of dollars.

EDIT: maybe I am wrong.
August 05, 2013, 03:32:39 AM
rePosted from https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=268180.0;all

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323997004578644491403250124.html

Joe Lewis, a billionaire foreign-exchange trader who teamed up with hedge-fund manager George Soros in 1992 to bet against the Bank of England, is the latest high-profile financier to throw his weight behind the virtual currency called bitcoin.

Mr. Lewis leads the Phoenix Fund, a Zurich-based private-equity fund that on Tuesday plans to invest $200 million in Avalon, a company that makes computer servers aimed at creating bitcoins, according to people familiar with the situation.

Bitcoin is a virtual currency that exists online and isn't backed by any government or central bank. Bitcoins were invented in 2008 by a computer programmer who goes by the pseudonym Satoshi Nakamoto, who describes it as a peer-to-peer electronic cash system.

The Phoenix Fund's investment in Avalon reflects the growing popularity of virtual currencies, which are also coming under scrutiny from regulators. Other bitcoin enthusiasts include Cameron and Tyler Winklevoss, who are best known for their role in the creation of Facebook Inc. FB +1.50% They have proposed an exchange-traded fund that is tied to bitcoins.

Bitcoins are created through a process called mining, in which computers solve complex mathematical algorithms to earn the bitcoins. The total number of bitcoins that can be mined is limited to 21 million. There are now about 11.5 million bitcoins in circulation, according to Blockchain, a website that monitors bitcoin transactions.

The Phoenix deal will also involve Taiwanese microchip maker Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co., 2330.TW +0.50% which is set to supply the state-of-the-art microchips that will power the hardware.

The Phoenix Fund was set up this year to invest in bitcoin mining-hardware companies. It looked at several of Avalon's rivals in the sector, including Butterfly Labs and KnCMiner but decided against investing, according to a person familiar with the private-equity firm's strategy.

Investors in the Phoenix Fund, which includes a small number of individuals who made their fortunes in currency trading, believe that the currency will become more stable and popular if more parties are involved in the mining process, this person said.

Mr. Lewis moved into currency trading in the 1980s and 1990s. In September 1992, Mr. Lewis teamed up with Mr. Soros to bet on sterling crashing out of the European Exchange Rate Mechanism, an event that was later named "Black Wednesday." Mr. Lewis didn't respond to a request for comment.

Mr. Lewis had big losses investing in U.S. brokerage firm Bear Stearns Cos, in which he began amassing a stake during 2007, The Wall Street Journal reported at the time.

Mr. Lewis is the main investor in an unlisted company called Tavistock Group, which has investments in more than 200 companies across the globe.

Tavistock Group includes ENIC Group, which has a Bahamas-registered subsidiary called ENIC International Ltd., through which Mr. Lewis owns 85% of the shares in U.K. soccer club Tottenham Hotspur.

The Phoenix Fund is independent of Tavistock.

The bitcoin deal was put together by Andrew Laurus, a former government-bonds salesman at Lehman Brothers who is also an investor in the fund. Avalon was set up by Yifu Guo, a pioneer in the bitcoin-mining industry. He was part of the team that developed the first ASIC bitcoin mining hardware. ASIC stands for application-specific integrated circuit, a type of custom-designed microchip. Mr. Guo couldn't be reached for comment.

Separately, Coinflash, a company that planned to set up kiosks for bitcoin enthusiasts to buy the virtual currency, is shutting down before it even opened its doors. "Due to an unforeseen change in our personal circumstances, we've made the difficult decision to suspend Coinflash's services indefinitely," the San Diego-based company said in an email statement.

Coinflash was established earlier this year and had planned to open the bitcoin kiosks in California and New York this summer.

As part of the deal, Avalon will gain access to TSMC microchips based on 20-nanometer processes, which are much faster than other chips. TSMC recently won a contract to supply chips to Apple. The increased processing power should give Avalon an edge in solving the algorithms that control the supply of bitcoins.

—Robin Sidel contributed to this article.
Write to Harriet Agnew at [email protected]

'You mean I can't just buy Bitcoin?'  Grin
Activity: 252
August 05, 2013, 03:19:57 AM
Didn't read the WSJ, but this article said they passed up BFL and KNC. They didn't say why.

But from that pic that was posted with SAM (KNC), Josh (BFL) and todays hero/villain (YIFU), YIFU Looks so dam smug, but i mean smug....like he knows he a bad mofo....bout to collect some of the 200 million headed his way. WOW.

Need to see corroboration, that 'deal' simply doesn't make sense. Someone on Reddit said it was an idiot reporter doing a search on 'avalon' and got a hit for $200m for a company with the same name not even connected to bitcoin.

It wouldn't make -any- sense to put $200m into bitcoin mining, that's 1/5th the total value of all bitcoin. If you mined all the bitcoin in a year that's $131m.

I could see $20m. But $200? And why 20nm? 14 is the next process step, isn't it? What are they gonna do, strike a deal with IBM's fabs? Doubtful.

And why announce it at all if true? If you don't need pre-order money your best business move is to take the entire network by absolute surprise by putting say 10000 terahash or w/e of power on the network some random day and freak everyone out and ruin their profitability.

Anyway the article is paywalled for me. I'm laying this strictly in the rumor camp for now.
August 05, 2013, 03:15:45 AM

Funny thing is they may all have thought they were on track to get the deal.

Likely there are several other big investors interested in making investments in bitcoin mining companies.  KnC, along with HashFast and Cointerra are likely to get in on the action. 
August 05, 2013, 12:41:22 AM

August 04, 2013, 09:01:15 PM
As for the pool I mentioned starting it is open so if anyone wants to test it out with asic's and help me squash as many issues as possible before KNC starts shipping I'd appreciate it!  For the time being it is at 0% fee while the pool is in testing phases (and I hope to keep it that way when the pool formally releases, but I have to ensure the pool will be self-sufficient when I need to move it to a more capable host for running a large p2pool node).  Things to look forward to in the future will be more advanced web front end(s), possibly custom tweaked p2pool code to facilitate asic mining better and possibly multiple load balanced servers should the need arise, and of course I'm always open to suggestions!)  In addition to 0 fee's, transaction fees are paid out as well and I have attempted to modify my bitcoind mining node so that transaction fees are maximized to improve ROI and compensate for the minor shortages that p2pool has over standard pools.

Here's the link: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/annbtcpoolpplnsp2poolbitbeta-268154

Sweet!
Activity: 490
August 04, 2013, 08:51:46 PM
As for the pool I mentioned starting it is open so if anyone wants to test it out with asic's and help me squash as many issues as possible before KNC starts shipping I'd appreciate it!  For the time being it is at 0% fee while the pool is in testing phases (and I hope to keep it that way when the pool formally releases, but I have to ensure the pool will be self-sufficient when I need to move it to a more capable host for running a large p2pool node).  Things to look forward to in the future will be more advanced web front end(s), possibly custom tweaked p2pool code to facilitate asic mining better and possibly multiple load balanced servers should the need arise, and of course I'm always open to suggestions!)  In addition to 0 fee's, transaction fees are paid out as well and I have attempted to modify my bitcoind mining node so that transaction fees are maximized to improve ROI and compensate for the minor shortages that p2pool has over standard pools.

Here's the link: https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/annbtcpoolpplnsp2poolbitbeta-268154
Jump to: