Author

Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com - page 1903. (Read 3049501 times)

legendary
Activity: 2856
Merit: 1520
Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206
August 01, 2013, 03:51:32 AM
KnC, please explain.

Whats there to explain? Two asic makers talking/meeting at a bitcoin conference. We've seen it before.

https://i.imgur.com/m36qE00.jpg

does anyone have a confirmed shipment date?

EDIT: is refund possible with KnC?
legendary
Activity: 1260
Merit: 1008
August 01, 2013, 03:48:01 AM
KnC, please explain.

yдaлocь выяcнить, чтo y Джoшa ecть aккayнт в фeйcбyкe и oн тaм пишeт вcякoe.
нaпpимep вo втopник зaпocтил фoткy c кaким-тo xмыpeм, кoтopoгo oн нaзывaeт "нaйc гaй". Джoш cпpaвa.

BFL & KnC represent! Sam is a really nice guy!

exif header:

File name    : 556679_1403706953182518_251192158_n.jpg
File size    : 50926 bytes
File date    : 2013:07:30 16:46:50
Resolution   : 640 x 480
Jpeg process : Progressive
Comment      : *?
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
August 01, 2013, 03:47:27 AM
KnC, please explain.

Whats there to explain? Two asic makers talking/meeting at a bitcoin conference. We've seen it before.

https://i.imgur.com/m36qE00.jpg
Activity: 129
Merit: 100
August 01, 2013, 03:43:45 AM
Not to nit pick, but how do you KNOW they have taped out.   I do not know they have taped out.   I have READ a post from KNC that they taped out but then again I read a post last November from Inaba saying that he had just sent a prototype to the lab for certification testing and we all (now) know that is not true.

That's actually a reasonable point. The truth is we can not be certain that they did tape out, but we estimate based on everything else that happened so far with this company and the backgrounds of the people involved that there is a high probability they are telling the truth. You might be inclined to weigh things differently, but your point is valid - until we see a video of a Jupiter hashing that is (how long KNC? Smiley).
Imagine they've got chips ordered and PCBs ordered, I assume they'll receive sample chips early on and sample PCBs--perhaps it's not long before they'll have a couple Jupiters to work on in actuality. We know they promised a Jupiter to that couple doing the documentary on living on Bitcoin for a month was it, and they've probably got one for developing the software and whatnot. So, may not be long now before we see a working unit in actuality, before the others are put together even. Is that not so? Are they likely to receive sample chips or not?
You are getting closer to my point.   If this is a complete design (and not something more akin to eASIC where you just design one layer), you would typically get on a shuttle (which would mean you would be saying "shuttle run is schedule and we should get sample chips to test and optimize our design in xx days).   Then you would spend the $800,000 to tape out a 28nm mask......
who knows?   That is what I am saying.   we do not know.    seems credible but who are the "competitors" that are scared if they know their progress?   If I am producing ASICs it does not matter when these guys ship.    It just changes the difficulty.   It does not help my chips come quicker....

KnC clearly said, that they go directly to a full-mask tape out, no Mulit-Project-Wafer (MPW) run first.
For a die size of > 100 mm2 an MPW run would cost almost the same as an full-mask tape out, because there will be not much area left on the shared reticle for other customers projects (especially if the foundry uses a 4-in-1 Multi-Layer-Reticle for the MPWs).

$800k for a 28nm full-mask set? This is an amazing offer, at which foundry will I get it that cheap? Wink
legendary
Activity: 2856
Merit: 1520
Bitcoin Legal Tender Countries: 2 of 206
August 01, 2013, 03:32:06 AM
KnC, please explain.

yдaлocь выяcнить, чтo y Джoшa ecть aккayнт в фeйcбyкe и oн тaм пишeт вcякoe.
нaпpимep вo втopник зaпocтил фoткy c кaким-тo xмыpeм, кoтopoгo oн нaзывaeт "нaйc гaй". Джoш cпpaвa.
BFL & KnC represent! Sam is a really nice guy!

интepьep cтpaшный
legendary
Activity: 938
Merit: 1000
LIR DEV
August 01, 2013, 01:33:06 AM
I started a new channel for KNC chat @   
Webchat.Freenode.net   
channel:  Kncminer
Please make use of it & help spread the word; Aloha, Eric
Activity: 125
August 01, 2013, 12:13:56 AM
You are getting closer to my point.   If this is a complete design (and not something more akin to eASIC where you just design one layer), you would typically get on a shuttle (which would mean you would be saying "shuttle run is schedule and we should get sample chips to test and optimize our design in xx days).   Then you would spend the $800,000 to tape out a 28nm mask......
who knows?   That is what I am saying.   we do not know.    seems credible but who are the "competitors" that are scared if they know their progress?   If I am producing ASICs it does not matter when these guys ship.    It just changes the difficulty.   It does not help my chips come quicker....

If an MPW batch had been made, then we would have seen a working prototype well before the production wafer run was ordered, that clearly hasn't happened unless they choose to keep it a tight lipped secret, so one would assume it wont and the first sample will be from the production wafers.

Hopefully they're not using ST Micro as their foundary.  ST has a bunch of open MPW space (not utilized by contract customers) on August 7th... on their SOI process.  Hopefully KNC knows enough to avoid SOI for chips of this nature.
erk
Activity: 826
Merit: 500
You are getting closer to my point.   If this is a complete design (and not something more akin to eASIC where you just design one layer), you would typically get on a shuttle (which would mean you would be saying "shuttle run is schedule and we should get sample chips to test and optimize our design in xx days).   Then you would spend the $800,000 to tape out a 28nm mask......
who knows?   That is what I am saying.   we do not know.    seems credible but who are the "competitors" that are scared if they know their progress?   If I am producing ASICs it does not matter when these guys ship.    It just changes the difficulty.   It does not help my chips come quicker....

If an MPW batch had been made, then we would have seen a working prototype well before the production wafer run was ordered, that clearly hasn't happened unless they choose to keep it a tight lipped secret, so one would assume it wont and the first sample will be from the production wafers.

Activity: 238
  seems credible but who are the "competitors" that are scared if they know their progress?   If I am producing ASICs it does not matter when these guys ship.
That's all true. 

But on the other hand, there are defensive business practices in industries where your net worth goes home at night.  And they involve making sure everyone is very tight lipped, and no one makes an independent decision as to what they should or should not say down at the bar, to the girlfriend, or on the social media.

There's an old saying: Macy's doesn't tell Gimbel's.  Whether or not it mattered.
legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 1019
Be A Digital Miner
Not to nit pick, but how do you KNOW they have taped out.   I do not know they have taped out.   I have READ a post from KNC that they taped out but then again I read a post last November from Inaba saying that he had just sent a prototype to the lab for certification testing and we all (now) know that is not true.

That's actually a reasonable point. The truth is we can not be certain that they did tape out, but we estimate based on everything else that happened so far with this company and the backgrounds of the people involved that there is a high probability they are telling the truth. You might be inclined to weigh things differently, but your point is valid - until we see a video of a Jupiter hashing that is (how long KNC? Smiley).
Imagine they've got chips ordered and PCBs ordered, I assume they'll receive sample chips early on and sample PCBs--perhaps it's not long before they'll have a couple Jupiters to work on in actuality. We know they promised a Jupiter to that couple doing the documentary on living on Bitcoin for a month was it, and they've probably got one for developing the software and whatnot. So, may not be long now before we see a working unit in actuality, before the others are put together even. Is that not so? Are they likely to receive sample chips or not?
You are getting closer to my point.   If this is a complete design (and not something more akin to eASIC where you just design one layer), you would typically get on a shuttle (which would mean you would be saying "shuttle run is schedule and we should get sample chips to test and optimize our design in xx days).   Then you would spend the $800,000 to tape out a 28nm mask......
who knows?   That is what I am saying.   we do not know.    seems credible but who are the "competitors" that are scared if they know their progress?   If I am producing ASICs it does not matter when these guys ship.    It just changes the difficulty.   It does not help my chips come quicker....
erk

You don't get "sample chips" you either get a wafer or nothing, the wafer then has to then go off to be cut up into chips and packaged.

Activity: 252

Has anyone reached any IMPORTANT conclusion yet? Has anyone proven anything?
I am on page #42 (and still reading) but this will take much time to end this topic.
I am thinking of investing like $10K on their miners but I am a bit afraid.
Worth or not? Real and works as should be? Deliver on time?
Probably. Def real, don't know the rest, but have taped out.
We don't know for sure, only proof we have is inductive evidence, and their claim that they have taped out jives with other facts, like their access to Orsoc foundry agreements. The claim makes it more likely that they will ship on time, since they've been forthright in every other aspect so far we don't yet have reason to disbelieve them. Judging an investment where information is scarce is all about inductive weightings of the known facts. These guys have already surpassed major hurdles in credibility and meeting in person and getting the prototype device running.
Will KNC allow individuals who purchased their hardware but are not utilizing the hosting service from byteminr to participate in their mining pool?  

If not, how come?  (ie.  is it a programming nightmare to only allow KNC machines to access the pool and reject other mining hardware?)
There's DDOS issues and the like. Forget about it.
will be there a trade in advantage for the 2nd generation of your products starting to ship in March 2014?
What I want is not a 'trade in' at all, but rather preferential ordering rights, as a customer who helped them get off the ground in the first gen and believed and trusted in them. I want to keep my old machine still!
But of course, BFL did something so silly where they apparently failed to do optical proximity correction, and this is, apparently, why their power drain doubled.

Are you saying this as a fact? If so please link source.
No, that's why I qualified the statement with 'apparently,' obviously. However it would explain why their power targets are off by an order of magnitude. And it's one of the more charitable explanations other than outright incompetence.

I don't expect Orsoc to pull such a rookie move.

Bitfury also missed original power goals. You saying hes a rookie too?
They're not off by an order of magnitude. It's not quite in the same ballpark therefore, is it.

A: Rookie mistake.

B: Estimate proved optimistic.

Sorry, as somebody who already executed the one or the other 65nm/40nm/28nm tape-out including direct contact to foundries, I like to mention that BFL and its design enablement partner for layout generation/sign off (Chronicle Tech?) were for sure not responsible for the OPC.

OPC is a task of the mask preparation, which is normally done at the mask house related to the foundry before wafer manufacturing can start. The responsibility for this step has the foundry, which was Globalfoundries in case of BFL.

An order of magnitude? Wink Do you mean 10x? When I remember right, BFL targeted below 1 J/GH and reached 3.2 J/GH.  Should be 3.2x.

Anyway, a missed OPC would result in a very bad yield, maybe even in no yield. The influence at power should not be that strong.

From my point of view, the reason for missing the power target, was the design methodology of the BFL ASIC. It's impossible to run detailed accurate power analysis (e.g. for calculation of a complete hash) during design phase for this kind of design sizes, if you do a full-custom design (hand layout). The reason for this is, that these kind of analysis have to be done at transistor level in case of a full-custom design. I doubt that there is a spice simulator, which can simulate a complete pipelined hash core. If there is one, such a power analysis would take weeks.

So I assume, that BFL did power analysis only for small parts of one hash core and than they tried to scale it up (if they did at all). With respect to power consumption they were a kind of blind till late in the implementation phase. I also think that they realized that they have a problem shortly before tape-out. That was the reason why they change the package from a simple wire-bond QFN to a flip-chip BGA late in 2012 to be able to handle the much higher power consumption.
I will defer to your wisdom and knowledge in this topic.

It's impossible to run detailed accurate power analysis (e.g. for calculation of a complete hash) during design phase for this kind of design sizes, if you do a full-custom design (hand layout).
I have not read anyone else say they attempted a full custom design. Someone mentioned the old proverb 'you must walk before you run,' the hell were they thinking.

They went for a home-run and struck out at the plate.

Activity: 140
"Don't worry. My career died after Batman, too."

I am on page #42 (and still reading) but this will take much time to end this topic.

This thread might help: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=231739.80
Activity: 173

erk

Who cares, not me that's for sure, all that matters is if they deliver their products on time as promised right?

Trying to put their business under a microscope achieves very little, probably does more harm then good if you force them to waste time responding instead of letting them get on with it.

legendary
Activity: 2380
Merit: 1019
Be A Digital Miner
Jump to: