Author

Topic: Swedish ASIC miner company kncminer.com - page 2099. (Read 3049499 times)

legendary
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1028
Duelbits.com
well, ppc is currently more profitable to mine than bitcoin (if you can find buyer to sell it). trc is often much more profitable (again if you can find buyer for it).
donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007
Poor impulse control.
Ah, understood, extending the life cycle then!

Point is, I don't think FPGAs can do that.

Depends on the alt coin.  TRC, PPC, bytecoin are all I think double sha256. Still not very useful in my opinion.

That's what I thought.
legendary
Activity: 1400
Merit: 1000
I owe my soul to the Bitcoin code...

Depends on the alt coin.  TRC, PPC, bytecoin are all I think double sha256. Still not very useful in my opinion.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
Doesn't one of the pools offer your hardware for non crypto currency coin related purposes and reward you with cash? I'm sureI read that somewhere to offset the lack of profit when difficulty increases for bitcoin...?
donator
Poor impulse control.

donator
Poor impulse control.
You put down 3k now but your return is when you get the ASIC at a later date...hopefully!

I was referring to:

Mars could still mine alternative coins even when bitcoin mining would become unprofitable. That's it's main advantage to me.

Dear kncminer. Can I pay by "cash on delivery" or once the product is ready for shipping? I'm located in Helsinki, Finland
I'm scared to pay before the products are finished, demonstrated, and packaged for shipping.

Also the Mars miner price point seems high to me. BFL's non-existing BitForce 5 GH/s SC miner is advertised at $274.00, which might actually make ROI, if they ship during this year.

6GH+/s miner at $ 2,795.00 is likely to never meet ROI.. 6500Mhash @dif 8974296.01489/ profit per Month $1,524.78, but fact is that difficulty will take 2 huge leaps for every following month. In couple months the profit figure is probably near $100 per month.

Upgrade protection built in to any Mars purchase with vouchers for up to $2000 off of any Jupiter purchase.

Does this mean, that I get $2000 off Jupiter price with a single Mars purchase?

Mars could still mine alternative coins even when bitcoin mining would become unprofitable. That's it's main advantage to me.

What's so special about this FPGA that it can mine anything other than a sha256(sha256()) coin?

The entire point of the FPGA is to tie you into purchasing the ASIC for 7k when it arrives. The issue is whether there will be better avenues for your cash or whether mining will still be reasonable profitable at that point at least for return on investment. The earliest you will see the ASIC is September and that's being optimistic.

You put down 3k now but your return is when you get the ASIC at a later date...hopefully!
legendary
Duelbits.com
Dear kncminer. Can I pay by "cash on delivery" or once the product is ready for shipping? I'm located in Helsinki, Finland
I'm scared to pay before the products are finished, demonstrated, and packaged for shipping.

Also the Mars miner price point seems high to me. BFL's non-existing BitForce 5 GH/s SC miner is advertised at $274.00, which might actually make ROI, if they ship during this year.

6GH+/s miner at $ 2,795.00 is likely to never meet ROI.. 6500Mhash @dif 8974296.01489/ profit per Month $1,524.78, but fact is that difficulty will take 2 huge leaps for every following month. In couple months the profit figure is probably near $100 per month.

Upgrade protection built in to any Mars purchase with vouchers for up to $2000 off of any Jupiter purchase.

What's so special about this FPGA that it can mine anything other than a sha256(sha256()) coin?

So it can't mine scrypt ones? I'm not really knowledgeable in that... in that case it's not as attractive product as I thought it might be unless one is optimistic about getting discount for Jupiter delivered in promised timeline. Not so sure about it.
donator
Poor impulse control.

They are approx 0.086 BTC per Avalon chip and €80 to assemble ten to an open source board, and €100 to assemble 20.

Chips are rated at 282 Mh/s each. Not too sure where you've got 2.0-2.5 BTC for 10 from?!

So thats €280 for 5.64 Ghash

About 700,000 chips on order??  5.64 Ghash x 35,000 in a few months.  Is that right?

No, man your addition sucks, that's just the chips as it states clearly above. Then you have 100 Euros if they decide to do the double sided boards or 160 if just the 10 chips per board, plus housing and psu. On top of which you're sending anonymous currency to people you don't know on a bulletin board to buy the chips and then have them send that to another anonymous person in another country to assemble the unit.

But then by August/September who knows what offers will be available.

One things for sure, the BFL crowd won't be making anything like they envisaged.

Activity: 91
Merit: 15
Their price for fpga is not that big if you compare it to other fpga offers. Someone opened a thread yesterday selling 400mh/s for 350, that would count as 5200 for this hashing power and that thread attracted lot of interest.

Yeah, I saw that too and came to the same conclusion. Plus, with the discussion around getting products with PSUs and fans from China, I'd rather purchase from elsewhere.
legendary
Duelbits.com

Activity: 546

They are approx 0.086 BTC per Avalon chip and €80 to assemble ten to an open source board, and €100 to assemble 20.

Chips are rated at 282 Mh/s each. Not too sure where you've got 2.0-2.5 BTC for 10 from?!

So thats €280 for 5.64 Ghash

About 700,000 chips on order??  5.64 Ghash x 35,000 in a few months.  Is that right?
How many Ghash are the DIY crowd talking about offering and at what price?

2.82Ghas for around 2.0 - 2.5 BTC

Needless to say, the ordering has gone crazy.

Activity: 546
How many Ghash are the DIY crowd talking about offering and at what price?

2.82Ghas for around 2.0 - 2.5 BTC

Needless to say, the ordering has gone crazy.
Activity: 714
Merit: 510
In summary; You buy a Mars 6Gh/s FPGA for $2.7k (plus shipping??) and you are stuck committing yourself to order the 250Gh/s Jupiter for $7k now irrespective of when it launches and whether the DIY crowd beat them to market with a better and cheaper product using Avalon's bulk chips (shipping in a month) and open source pcb and case design (available in two weeks) or swallow a $2.7k loss to switch to the DIY option if KNCMiner and ORSoC are caught dragging their feet! (Or risk waiting and waiting until they are ready to ship a product that performs to expectations without costing them or the customer more in the long run - such as BFL are doing right and you can see how that's working out for them). This is not a healthy position to be in.

Both options will be competing to refine their product offerings in the same timescale with KNCMiner asking for a premium over the DIY hobbyist set.

I'm not knocking on KNCminers ability to deliver, but they have no prior history or experience and time is such a huge factor, that this Mars deal and question mark over Jupiter is not the best solution for them or their customers.

It wouldn't necessarily be a loss because 6Ghash is still enough to mine with but it depends on what the DIY crowd can offer and at what price? If they can offer 20Ghash at $3000 then we will all be stuck with 6Ghash and that would completely suck. How many Ghash are the DIY crowd talking about offering and at what price?
Activity: 40
Merit: 0

Nobody should buy with preorders, I guess people have learn that already.

If you have product in stock then ask money for it - it's simple as that.

I'm definitely considering to buy Mars, it's much better deal than some of asics sold recently as it's cheaper and can be used for other stuff and not thrown away after becoming non-profitable for mining bitcoins but only if I can get it in a week after I pay for it.

Otherwise, sorry, I'm not financing anyone just like that.

I'm with you. I reached the exact same conclusion. I think Mars can last us through July and honestly that is good enough. By July difficulty will be through the roof but at the same time we will have made somewhat of a profit and will be in line for the 250Ghash product. Provided the product really is only $5000 that is a steal of a price if we were to get it in the fall.

The problem is I doubt we will get it by the fall but that is another matter.
Okay I crunched some numbers and on second thought this isn't a bad buy.
It has energy efficiency and electricity is not cheap. It is expensive for 6Ghash but there aren't any alternatives that are better.

Jump to: