Pages:
Author

Topic: The 2016 Edition Bitcoin Penny™ Commemorative Coins - page 4. (Read 24988 times)

BG4
legendary
Activity: 1006
Merit: 1024
PaperSafe
Thanks for the questions on our new bank bags project, guys. Smiley

No more NFC chip coins for 2016, sorry. Those are only available inside the 2016 Special Edition Rolls. (Of which, our last roll -- SE Roll No.09 -- is still available. Buy it now! Wink)

The coins inside will be the real 2016 DAVE coins. These particular bags will be in very limited supply and sold at a solid discount (as opposed to buying 50 2-Packs, 100 Singles, etc) for the express purposes of distributing the coins to increase bitcoin awareness in the general public. In other words, by purchasing the bank bags of 100 coins, you're promising to give away most (if not all) of the coins to other people, free of charge. The bag is yours to keep as an interesting souvenir. Smiley

Regards,
Chris

Will the bags be numbered....like the SN rolls?
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2203
BitcoinPenny.com
Thanks for the questions on our new bank bags project, guys. Smiley

No more NFC chip coins for 2016, sorry. Those are only available inside the 2016 Special Edition Rolls. (Of which, our last roll -- SE Roll No.09 -- is still available. Buy it now! Wink)

The coins inside will be the real 2016 DAVE coins. These particular bags will be in very limited supply and sold at a solid discount (as opposed to buying 50 2-Packs, 100 Singles, etc) for the express purposes of distributing the coins to increase bitcoin awareness in the general public. In other words, by purchasing the bank bags of 100 coins, you're promising to give away most (if not all) of the coins to other people, free of charge. The bag is yours to keep as an interesting souvenir. Smiley

Regards,
Chris
legendary
Activity: 2786
Merit: 1011
Get Paid Crypto To Walk or Drive
That bag of 100 coins is really neat looking.  Will they be the actual bitcoin penny coins or will they be made out of something cheaper so that a bag of 100 costs less?
legendary
BitcoinPenny.com
A good morning, bump! Wink

Regards,
Chris

PS -- I plan to attend the small Bitcoins & Beer meetup in Asheville, NC on June 16, and I thought I'd extend the invitation to anyone who might be in the area. Wink
legendary
BitcoinPenny.com

The 2016 Special Edition Rolls are almost gone... Wink

Buy them while supplies last!

Regards,
Me
legendary
BitcoinPenny.com
Since we're talking about Doodles a little...

I present to you - the first of it's Kind and none made so far as i know Cheesy

A Reverse Doodle Grin

Thanks Chris Cheesy

Oh, yes! The REVERSE doodle. LOL Grin

Me
legendary
Activity: 2800
Merit: 1222
Just looking for peace
Since we're talking about Doodles a little...

I present to you - the first of it's Kind and none made so far as i know Cheesy

A Reverse Doodle Grin

Thanks Chris Cheesy
copper member
Activity: 3948
Merit: 2201
Verified awesomeness ✔
Mitchełł,

Those photos look great! Thank you for sharing. Grin

And I see you chose the postcard doodle. As far as I know, it'll post for real. (OK, wait... That would be super cool. Put a stamp on it, then mail it to minerjones in the USA. That would be a seriously cool piece of bitcoin memorabilia--with all the stamps, postage marks, and international travel! If it went for auction, I'd TOTALLY bid on it!)

Regards,
Chris
I was torn apart between the Windmill one and this one. In the end I just flipped a coin to decide which one to take, haha. That idea sounds pretty cool, but I'm not sure if I want to part with my doodle. Grin
legendary
Just looking for peace

PS - the patina concept is so cool!

Give me a month and then would love to see a Patine contest Grin

It's totally surprising that anyone else (except for me) would appreciate a good patina! In fact, I posted a photo of my personal patina'd coin in last year's thread and on our social media accounts (which I've sadly been neglecting this year), but my wife suggested that I should remove the photos, because people wouldn't want to see the pretty, shiny, new copper turning all kinds of dark and weathered. As I often do, I took her advice and removed the photos. (I may have posted them again later, though. I can't remember.)

It's good to see that others can appreciate the colorful rainbow patinas on a well-worn lucky coin! Grin

Regards,
Me

Yeah! came to me as a surprise as well but just look at those different colors coming out  Shocked Shocked
legendary
Activity: 3570
Merit: 1959
ONE HUNDRED !! in a BTCbag !! how cool is that !!  Grin I sure would want one if the price is right

I just removed the protection layer of one coin, made a special mix of salt, white wine vinegar, ammonia and plantnutrionsomethingsomething. I put that in thin can, the coin on a small piece of wood so it won't touch the liquid, closed the can with a lid and let the gasses do the work now for several hours  Grin very curious how it will turn out

Edit: mixure didn't work  Grin maybe I can get some nice acids at work... will try next week.

I collect and restore (and use) vintage / antique straight razors, and sometimes if the natural patina of the blade is too pretty to destroy, yet spotty in some places, I'll even out the patina with good ol' fashioned lemon juice. I haven't tried it on our copper coins, but it couldn't hurt.

Me

That's interesting, never thought of collecting straight-razors, pretty neat. Smiley

So of course, I went to grab my wife's fingernail polish remover, and it's... Acetone-free.   Huh
legendary
BitcoinPenny.com
ONE HUNDRED !! in a BTCbag !! how cool is that !!  Grin I sure would want one if the price is right

I just removed the protection layer of one coin, made a special mix of salt, white wine vinegar, ammonia and plantnutrionsomethingsomething. I put that in thin can, the coin on a small piece of wood so it won't touch the liquid, closed the can with a lid and let the gasses do the work now for several hours  Grin very curious how it will turn out

Edit: mixure didn't work  Grin maybe I can get some nice acids at work... will try next week.

I collect and restore (and use) vintage / antique straight razors, and sometimes if the natural patina of the blade is too pretty to destroy, yet spotty in some places, I'll even out the patina with good ol' fashioned lemon juice. I haven't tried it on our copper coins, but it couldn't hurt.

Me
legendary
BitcoinPenny.com
I would love to get my hands on that bag but that would mean buying one hundred more coins and I already have quite a few haha.

Here are a few of my latest pictures, which I'm very proud off to be honest. Checkout my Imgur album for more pictures: http://imgur.com/a/VRT0q. Chris, feel free to use this. Grin

Mitchełł,

Those photos look great! Thank you for sharing. Grin

And I see you chose the postcard doodle. As far as I know, it'll post for real. (OK, wait... That would be super cool. Put a stamp on it, then mail it to minerjones in the USA. That would be a seriously cool piece of bitcoin memorabilia--with all the stamps, postage marks, and international travel! If it went for auction, I'd TOTALLY bid on it!)

Regards,
Chris
legendary
BitcoinPenny.com

It's totally surprising that anyone else (except for me) would appreciate a good patina! In fact, I posted a photo of my personal patina'd coin in last year's thread and on our social media accounts (which I've sadly been neglecting this year), but my wife suggested that I should remove the photos, because people wouldn't want to see the pretty, shiny, new copper turning all kinds of dark and weathered. As I often do, I took her advice and removed the photos. (I may have posted them again later, though. I can't remember.)

It's good to see that others can appreciate the colorful rainbow patinas on a well-worn lucky coin! Grin

Regards,
Me
Activity: 1022
Merit: 501
I want one of those bags.  Roll Eyes Grin
legendary
Activity: 2210
Merit: 1109

Edit: mixure didn't work  Grin maybe I can get some nice acids at work... will try next week.
copper member
Activity: 3948
Merit: 2201
Verified awesomeness ✔
I would love to get my hands on that bag but that would mean buying one hundred more coins and I already have quite a few haha.

Here are a few of my latest pictures, which I'm very proud off to be honest. Checkout my Imgur album for more pictures: http://imgur.com/a/VRT0q. Chris, feel free to use this. Grin

legendary
Just looking for peace
Thanks Chris! ... maybe I will order some more to give away to friend or leave them on public places like owlcatz does, great way to promote bitcoin and these fine coins.

It's funny you mention that, wttbs. Currently in the experimental production phase is a bulk order product made specifically for that purpose. Grin

Here is the mockup... Wink

Regards,
Chris
That's good as always Cheesy

legendary
BitcoinPenny.com
Thanks Chris! ... maybe I will order some more to give away to friend or leave them on public places like owlcatz does, great way to promote bitcoin and these fine coins.

It's funny you mention that, wttbs. Currently in the experimental production phase is a bulk order product made specifically for that purpose. Grin

Here is the mockup... Wink

Regards,
Chris
legendary
BitcoinPenny.com
I am doing an experiment: try to whether one coin to make it lok old or give some nice patin. But d*mn these coin are of awesome quality, I set one on fire, put in several acids but still.. just clean it water and it fine again  Grin For now I put one coin in my garden and see what the wheather does to it, I will take pictures of during a year.

I absolutely LOVE the look of patina'd coins! Here is one I took last year of my personal, lucky 2015 Bitcoin Penny next to a shiny, new coin. My personal, lucky coin banged around in my pocket with loose change and keys for more than a month before this photo, with me handling it every five minutes! The patina is GORGEOUS! You'll see a subtle spectrum of colors, including bright copper, pink rose, emerald green, and hints of royal blue.

I've often thought about hosting a patina color contest, but I never thought anyone would be crazy enough to enjoy the patina as much as I do. Cheesy

But if you want a good, colorful patina, then here's a little advice...

Our very first run of 1,000 coins were easier to patina. Since then, all coins come with an ultra thin protective finish. (Personally, I don't prefer the protective finish, but most collectors here would probably choose the shine over the patina, so that's the way we mint them.) The finish can be removed with simple acetone (fingernail polish remover). You can also use extremely mild and fine abrasive compounds like fine silver polish.

Once the protective finish is removed, the secret to developing a great patina is to keep rubbing the coin in your hands, between your fingers and thumbs, as often as you can, all day long. Then let is sit for a few days to darken. Then repeat. Once the coin is a dark brown, rub it between your fingers and thumb again, lightly. The top patina (brown) will be removed, leaving the bottom patina (rose, green, blue) exposed. It's a delicate balancing act to get the right patina, but TOTALLY worth it (if you appreciate a good patina).

Can't wait to see some photos of patina'd coins! Grin

Regards,
Chris
legendary
Activity: 2210
Merit: 1109
I took some pictures of the 2016 Bitcoinpenny...

Edit: link to album (24 images) http://imgur.com/a/9VkQE

Gorgeous photography, wttbs! Super cool! (I'm so very jealous of your photography skills.) Thank you for sharing. Grin

PS -- We'd be very proud to use some of those images on our website or social media accounts, with your permission, of course. Grin
Regards,
Chris

Thanks Chris! and feel free to use the photos. I will be making more pictures in the near future and post them on imgur, those you can use as well if you want. This coin is awesome and it is fun making pictures of it... maybe I will order some more to give away to friend or leave them on public places like owlcatz does, great way to promote bitcoin and these fine coins.
Pages:
Jump to: