Pages:
Author

Topic: The difficulty HAS BEEN REDUCED!!!! - page 13. (Read 25831 times)

Activity: 140
Merit: 100
December 09, 2014, 10:33:58 PM
Interesting thing , but  I don't think this is the first time that the diff. has been reduced ? Or am I wrong ?
You are correct, but it's the first time we've seen a decrease in almost two years.

Also you're right , do we know what has reduced the diff ? Or are only a lot of *home-miners* that have turned off their hardware machine ?

maybe the number of miners has been decreased? Huh
Activity: 136
December 09, 2014, 06:31:28 PM
Hopefully the difficulty will last few more months. I am sick of seeing the difficulty halt for 2 weeks and jump even more then the last month added up.
It looks like it may remain low, or even decrease again in seven days.  That said, there's no telling when a new mine will come online.

The last time difficulty decreased it slumped for about 6 months, Maybe if the price picks back up we'll get another boost in hashrate

Almost certainly. I forecast a significant slowdown in the hash rate expansion back in April, which to be fair wasn't as accurate as it should have been because I overestimated the cost of wholesale hashing and electricity (http://hashingit.com/analysis/24-megawatts-of-mining), but the model was essentially correct (I now have a much more accurate model). The hash rate expansion is pretty-much funded as a large fraction of the USD-denominated Bitcoin mining reward. This has dropped off significantly recently because the hash rate has slowed down (so we're finding nearer 144 blocks per day instead of > 160) and because of the BTC:USD price.

At a given BTC price there's a steady state where most of the money ends up going to hosting, maintenance, electricity costs - essentially all opex. That shifts when new hardware comes online that dramatically reduces operating costs and causes older equipment to be taken offline. 16 nm ASICs are probably the next such technology shift so I wouldn't expect to see much change until then if the BTC price remains constant.

The model predicted that when we hit a steady state where hardware margins had been tightly squeezed then we'd see about a 2x per year increase in hash rate. If we take that 2x per year then that works out at a mean difficulty increase of 2.6% each time for a year. Given the noise in the statistics for hash rate estimates then that would typically mean seeing difficulty changes of between -2.4% and 7.6% about 90% of the time. Now of course the real world won't work quite that predictably but the trend should be reasonably consistent.

What the model can't tell you is what will happen to the BTC price. If it jumps 2x then things will go mad for a few months until the hash rate catches up - in fact it would more than double; older, less power efficient hardware would be taken offline faster as people sought to use their available power more efficiently, but then new power and hashing would come online too. If the prices drops 2x then new investments cease and older equipment goes offline a little quicker but most of the hash rate is probably now more power efficient and so the hash rate wouldn't halve.
legendary
Activity: 1218
Merit: 1000
December 09, 2014, 04:41:52 PM
Hopefully the difficulty will last few more months. I am sick of seeing the difficulty halt for 2 weeks and jump even more then the last month added up.
It looks like it may remain low, or even decrease again in seven days.  That said, there's no telling when a new mine will come online.

The last time difficulty decreased it slumped for about 6 months, Maybe if the price picks back up we'll get another boost in hashrate
Activity: 918
Merit: 1002
December 09, 2014, 12:36:50 PM
Interesting thing , but  I don't think this is the first time that the diff. has been reduced ? Or am I wrong ?
You are correct, but it's the first time we've seen a decrease in almost two years.

Also you're right , do we know what has reduced the diff ? Or are only a lot of *home-miners* that have turned off their hardware machine ?
I'm under the impression that the general consensus is that the current BTC price has slowed the number of new units coming online.  There seems to be plenty of stock available (from both BM and SP) on shelves now, which leads me to believe that sales may have started to slow.  Combined that with the fact that some miners, hobbyist or professionals, may be turning off some of the 1WGh machines in their possession and you've got a solid case against difficulty rising.

It could also be that miners are waiting to buy until new products are announced with more power efficient chips.
Activity: 714
Merit: 500
December 09, 2014, 10:49:11 AM

December 09, 2014, 10:49:07 AM
Activity: 243
Merit: 250
December 09, 2014, 10:46:15 AM
December 09, 2014, 10:40:15 AM
Activity: 714
December 09, 2014, 10:24:36 AM
December 09, 2014, 10:22:57 AM
Does negative difficulty indicate that there is a slight reduction in the amount of total miners?

It's not quite that simple - it might mean that, but it's equally possible that the previous estimates of the global hash rate were too high and the new ones are more realistic. Hash rate measurements aren't precise - they're inferred and there's enough noise in the results to make it very unclear about what's really happening:

http://hashingit.com/analysis/27-hash-rate-headaches
http://hashingit.com/analysis/28-reach-for-the-ear-defenders
http://hashingit.com/analysis/30-finding-2016-blocks

Even if hash rates are falling it's more likely to be that older equipment that fails isn't being replaced rather than large scale infrastructure being shut down.
I bookmarked your site, Dave--I appreciate your insights.
Activity: 136
December 09, 2014, 10:09:31 AM
Does negative difficulty indicate that there is a slight reduction in the amount of total miners?

It's not quite that simple - it might mean that, but it's equally possible that the previous estimates of the global hash rate were too high and the new ones are more realistic. Hash rate measurements aren't precise - they're inferred and there's enough noise in the results to make it very unclear about what's really happening:

http://hashingit.com/analysis/27-hash-rate-headaches
http://hashingit.com/analysis/28-reach-for-the-ear-defenders
http://hashingit.com/analysis/30-finding-2016-blocks

Even if hash rates are falling it's more likely to be that older equipment that fails isn't being replaced rather than large scale infrastructure being shut down.
legendary
Activity: 1246
!!! RiSe aBovE ThE StoRm !!!
December 06, 2014, 01:18:51 PM

"Slight" not exactly, a farm shut or so, but yes youre on the right track  Grin

Was awaiting from minutes for this answer, thanks for the same though... Cheesy
Activity: 532
December 06, 2014, 12:50:32 PM

"Slight" not exactly, a farm shut or so, but yes youre on the right track  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1246
!!! RiSe aBovE ThE StoRm !!!
December 06, 2014, 12:19:09 PM
Activity: 532
December 06, 2014, 12:12:09 PM
i think it will not go down a lot and start rising fast

You really are a clever being  Grin
Activity: 910
December 06, 2014, 07:41:01 AM
Well I see no difference, but as I always say... A reduction is better than a increase.  Grin

It just shows me, everything is working like clockwork!

What I don't understand, the people selling their HW, is someone taking them to the shredder? Because you have alot of countries wheere power is next to free, so the old mining HW can still be efficient in other places, so why isn't anyone exploiting this?
People staying in the states, might find it not worth to ship or go start their mining operation in countries, where mining is profitable, due to very low power prices.
Activity: 321
December 06, 2014, 07:35:25 AM
i think it will not go down a lot and start rising fast
legendary
Activity: 938
BTC | LTC | XLM | VEN | ARDR
December 06, 2014, 03:56:18 AM
Well I see no difference, but as I always say... A reduction is better than a increase.  Grin

What I don't understand, the people selling their HW, is someone taking them to the shredder? Because you have alot of countries wheere power is next to free, so the old mining HW can still be efficient in other places, so why isn't anyone exploiting this?
legendary
Activity: 1904
Merit: 1074
December 06, 2014, 03:25:58 AM

Activity: 434
★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest!
December 05, 2014, 03:52:24 AM
almost everyone I know has taken their s1-s3s offline in california as the electricity is to much especially when btc price is at less than 400$  - If it went down about 20% I think some people may turn it back on but this was just a small one.
Pages:
Jump to: