Author

Topic: The future of the paper money - page 278. (Read 416566 times)

Activity: 182
Merit: 100
October 21, 2015, 12:28:17 AM
Andrew Haldane said one solution would be for the Bank of England to issue a state-backed digital currency based on bitcoin. Supporting this initiative would be a negative interest rate levied on paper currency relative to the digital currency, with these measures do you think there is more possibilities that sometime:

Paper money will be banned entirely?
How long do you think that happens?
would it work?
What security and privacy risks would it raise?
And how would public and privately issued monies interact?

There will be a new money that people will use in the future maybe not necessarily paper money anymore but some thing very convenient to use that will make life easier.
Activity: 224
October 21, 2015, 12:13:32 AM
Andrew Haldane said one solution would be for the Bank of England to issue a state-backed digital currency based on bitcoin. Supporting this initiative would be a negative interest rate levied on paper currency relative to the digital currency, with these measures do you think there is more possibilities that sometime:

would it work?

I think in the future we wont be using paper money anymore in doing transactions or in purchasing something.
We will use some other trend of money.
Activity: 210
October 20, 2015, 11:41:48 PM

would it work?

I heard this before that paper money will be replaced by some other form of money or something people use to buy stuffs.
And whatever it is Im sure people will welcome it and accept it.
Activity: 168
October 20, 2015, 11:25:11 PM

would it work?

I think it wont be long now that paper money will be banned and we will be using some other form of thing that we will use in purchasing.
October 20, 2015, 10:29:42 PM

would it work?

I think we will still have still and use paper money in the future but not as much as we do today.
Activity: 167
October 20, 2015, 10:23:20 PM

would it work?

I'm afraid paper money will gone extinct in the future, because I know people will always find ways to make everyday living more easier and convenient.
Activity: 154
October 20, 2015, 09:46:16 PM

would it work?

I cant imagine if this happens I would surely miss the traditional way of buying,
but the technology is very powerful and very influential and one of these days people are just going to conform whatever may happen. 
Activity: 1442
Merit: 629
Vires in Numeris
October 20, 2015, 05:59:55 PM

would it work?

I do not like it if they ban paper money.  I use it for just about anything.
They won't ban it. People will stop using it, maybe there will be some shops where you can pay only in cash but nowdays most of the merchants has at least a POS terminal.
Since I have received my first PayPass enabled card, I'm lazy enoug to go only to those shops where I can use it in the contactless way. If I have to use the chip based transaction, I'm feeling like back in 10 years, if they want me to swipe the card and sign the slip, I would run away, screaming Smiley But 10 years before, chip and PIN without signature was the cool thing, now it's ancient.
(Of course, I'm talking generally, only about my country and I know that my parent's generation will use only cash in the future as well)
October 20, 2015, 12:28:08 PM

would it work?

I do not like it if they ban paper money.  I use it for just about anything.
Pab
legendary
Activity: 1862
Merit: 1012
October 20, 2015, 09:03:18 AM
 I ve been reading interesting article about the end of cash.Very close that is Sweden,transaction in cash in Sweden droped from 100 bln SVK to about 10 bln SVK perday,but why.First there is lot of possibility for mobile payments and second if you pay in cash you have tp proof where is your cash coming from,cash is Sweden is recognised like a way of money laundering and terrorism financing,so if you go shop to pay for packet of cigarettes and you pay in cash,you can be suspected for money laundering ,A little to crazy for me
In other european countrys cash still have strong position
Activity: 770
Merit: 509
October 20, 2015, 04:45:45 AM

would it work?

Paper money will always be around.  It is too essential to do away with even with digital currency.

I honestly don't see a modern society where people are still trading papers and money. I think it may still persist in a couple of decades, but it will be something only nostalgic people and hipsters use, such as using vinyl instead of digital where there's no excuse anymore to not use digital because it simply sound better. Similarly, Bitcoin will be so good up to a point that there will be no excuses to not use it instead of outdated fiat money.
Activity: 1442
Merit: 629
Vires in Numeris
October 19, 2015, 06:06:26 PM
In Sweeden, people use embossed bank cards to buy anything. The merchants are able to accept these cards even offline, if the power goes out (just like in the 80's when there were no online authentication for card transactions, only offline use, and they were sending the copies of the signed slips to the banks for clearing the transaction)
So it's possible to live without paper money technically too, but this digital currency is only the countries own currency, controlled by the government and not a decentralized thing like bitcoin.
legendary
Activity: 3724
Merit: 3063
Leave no FUD unchallenged
October 19, 2015, 04:15:39 PM

would it work?

I do not think that any government will totally abolish paper money.  They have no control over bitcoin and so they do not like that.

Emphasis should be placed on the "based on" part.  When they say "state-backed digital currency", that means a digital currency they have full control over.  They won't use something that has Bitcoin's open, decentralised and permissionless properties.  The concern people have is the clear intention to force everyone to use banks or card providers to make all their transactions.  That means anyone who isn't using Bitcoin would be totally reliant on the "too big to fail" banking machine.  Have a look at this article and this one to get a better idea of what the motive is.
Activity: 140
October 19, 2015, 02:37:25 PM

would it work?

I do not think that any government will totally abolish paper money.  They have no control over bitcoin and so they do not like that.
Activity: 798
Merit: 1000
Move On !!!!!!
October 19, 2015, 01:46:35 PM

would it work?

Paper money will always be around.  It is too essential to do away with even with digital currency.

Are you sure? Even in 50 years? I don't know about that. Things go through the evolution and I am sure that even if it wasn't for Bitcoin, the world would slowly move to the paperless money.

When you really think about it, paper money has so many drawbacks and I think that these drawbacks would be easily fixed with some from of paperless money.

Well Bitcoin is now here so we don't need fix! Smiley
Activity: 1134
Merit: 515
October 19, 2015, 12:47:14 PM

would it work?

Yes paper money would stay here for even next century also. But the percentage of use for paper money will be going down over time as digital money has started to evolve in all sectors. Only very few people will be using paper money in near future as some merchants still demand only paper money.
legendary
Activity: 3248
Merit: 1070
October 19, 2015, 11:50:21 AM

would it work?

I think paper money would not be obliterated.  What government would want to use something that they do not have control over?

this isn't paper money vs bitcoin is paper money vs fiat and bitcoin maybe

government has all the right to kill paper money, because for them it has the same issues of bitcoin and some other like counterfeiting
October 19, 2015, 11:36:30 AM

would it work?

October 19, 2015, 11:18:32 AM

would it work?

I think paper money would not be obliterated.  What government would want to use something that they do not have control over?
Activity: 847
Merit: 500
October 18, 2015, 08:44:30 PM
Did anyone see this yet?

http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/business/international-business/Sweden-may-become-worlds-first-cashless-nation/articleshow/49419797.cms

"Sweden is on track to becoming the world's first cashless society, thanks to the country's embrace of information technology as well as a crackdown on organized crime and terror, according to a new study. "

So it seems is going to happen and faster than we thought. Interesting times ahead indeed. I wonder if they will wake up from the scam and get on Bitcoin before its too late.

That's interesting for sure.. I don't think a whole country will allow Bitcoin to be its national currency or anything close to that. It's too much trust on something they don't have control over
Jump to: