Pages:
Author

Topic: The Halving - Good or Bad for Bitcoin? - page 3. (Read 83082 times)

Activity: 588
Merit: 500
February 27, 2017, 02:02:20 PM
The halvings gives Bitcoin value and makes it lucrative for more  investors so I think it should be maintained for us to keep profiting from our investment. If we don't half and we keep more BTC with less value what's the point rather than have less with more value.
from the previous halving was my first experience so i can say that halving is good. as in previous halving the price of bitcoin increased so high and that is the reason that we can expect from the coming halving also.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
February 27, 2017, 06:01:33 AM
No one can avoid this.
Halving just make btc price up ans stabled so close in you one time high.

Now is up to snother galaxy.
Go btc
legendary
Activity: 3486
Merit: 1280
English ⬄ Russian Translation Services
February 27, 2017, 05:36:02 AM
The halving is very important for bitcoin!
It limits the number of bitcoin to 21 millions.
Without halving, an endless number of bitcoins could be produced, and if you have an endless supply of something, the value of that something won't be too big

The things aren't that simple

The Big Rip theory of Bitcoin claims that the limited supply of anything doesn't bode well for anything which has limited supply. Theoretically, with infinite adoption and fixed supply it may not be possible to correctly assess the price of Bitcoin eventually since it will become too scarce and dispersed to have any real life importance. Two factors are working against the Big Rip assumption. First, the adoption is not infinite since the Earth is still round and the size of any economy in existence today or in the future would be limited anyway. And second, Bitcoin is infinitely divisible so (at least, theoretically) the dispersion should be effectively offset by introducing ever diminishing denominations. What is going to prevail in the end we can only find out from practice, not theory
Activity: 910
Merit: 501
February 27, 2017, 05:02:46 AM
The halving is very important for bitcoin!
It limits the number of bitcoin to 21 millions.
Without halving, an endless number of bitcoins could be produced, and if you have an endless supply of something, the value of that something won't be too big.
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1000
February 27, 2017, 04:46:06 AM
The halvings gives Bitcoin value and makes it lucrative for more  investors so I think it should be maintained for us to keep profiting from our investment. If we don't half and we keep more BTC with less value what's the point rather than have less with more value.

People really nees to get as much bitcoin as they can because of this price that really high makes people want to own bitcoin. But for this halving makes coin become less and of course the price will be higher because of the law of nature so I think it will be a good thing except you dont hold some coin
Activity: 812
Merit: 501
THE ENERGY EFFICIENCY PROTOCOL
February 26, 2017, 12:33:18 PM
I think the current raise in bitcoin can be attributed by block halving and other factors of course  and I guess we are just seeing the benefits of it.

No way, the next halving will occur at 2020, its far away to be from those event, at June we had the halving already and price went from 400 to 600 dollars, if were those you were refering. The halving is good for bitcoin as it make it get more value over time, if we remove the halving we will have a coin of pump and dump and just that.
Yeah that's true I remember when the last halving happened the price was really high that time. And I also agree if there's no halving bitcoin would have never been what it has been able to be today for sure. And by the next halving the price will be 5000$+ for sure or maybe more than that.
Next halving will happen at Saturday, 27 Jun 2020 which 3 years later. I agree it is good for bitcoin to limit the supply meanwhile the demand keep increase. Miners will generate less bitcoin but the fees should be enough as the price at that time maybe just like you said, reach $5000, my prediction around $3500 per BTC1. I hope the fees to send bitcoin doesn't exceed $0.5 or people will consider it is not cheap anymore even though it is affordable for some users.

That correspond to  my computation. In my computation bitcoin will reach 5000 $ up to 10000$ by the year 2020 during the next halving. But there is another disadvantage that will come the miner fees will also skyrocket and small time bitcoin holders will transfer to altcoins when that time comes. But hope the miner at that time will already have the consensus and have decided to adopt a new system that has a higher blocksize compared today.
Yes, I agree with you - I also think that the next halving lead to higher prices for Bitcoin. And I can safely assume that if Bitcoin will cost 7,000 - $ 10,000. I believe that it is good
Activity: 994
Merit: 544
February 26, 2017, 09:07:07 AM
I think the current raise in bitcoin can be attributed by block halving and other factors of course  and I guess we are just seeing the benefits of it.

No way, the next halving will occur at 2020, its far away to be from those event, at June we had the halving already and price went from 400 to 600 dollars, if were those you were refering. The halving is good for bitcoin as it make it get more value over time, if we remove the halving we will have a coin of pump and dump and just that.
Yeah that's true I remember when the last halving happened the price was really high that time. And I also agree if there's no halving bitcoin would have never been what it has been able to be today for sure. And by the next halving the price will be 5000$+ for sure or maybe more than that.
Next halving will happen at Saturday, 27 Jun 2020 which 3 years later. I agree it is good for bitcoin to limit the supply meanwhile the demand keep increase. Miners will generate less bitcoin but the fees should be enough as the price at that time maybe just like you said, reach $5000, my prediction around $3500 per BTC1. I hope the fees to send bitcoin doesn't exceed $0.5 or people will consider it is not cheap anymore even though it is affordable for some users.

That correspond to  my computation. In my computation bitcoin will reach 5000 $ up to 10000$ by the year 2020 during the next halving. But there is another disadvantage that will come the miner fees will also skyrocket and small time bitcoin holders will transfer to altcoins when that time comes. But hope the miner at that time will already have the consensus and have decided to adopt a new system that has a higher blocksize compared today.
Merit: 523
February 26, 2017, 06:57:07 AM

Activity: 826
Merit: 1004
February 26, 2017, 06:31:30 AM

legendary
February 26, 2017, 04:35:23 AM

I agree I think halving makes the the price of bitcoin more stable because halving is prevent bitcoin from inflation that can make the price of it down.  Although it is not the only one factors  that influence the price of bitcoin, but halving makes the price of bitcoin rise so significantly in certain time. It is also attracts investors, isn't it?

As to me, halving shouldn't be affecting Bitcoin volatility much (or stability which is the reverse of volatility)

Basically, volatility is the abrupt price movements in both directions, while reward halving is just lowering the supply of coins to the market. it is essentially a one-off event (and which happens once every 4 years only). It contributes to the price growth, there is no doubt about it but it can hardly contribute to either pice stability or price volatility on its own. Indeed, it can be claimed that miners might be accumulating bitcoins and then pouring them into the market and that will add to volatility (and, consequently, subtract from stability), but, on the other hand, this is the same what many traders do anyway
Activity: 672
February 25, 2017, 10:41:19 PM

I agree I think halving makes the the price of bitcoin more stable because halving is prevent bitcoin from inflation that can make the price of it down.  Although it is not the only one factors  that influence the price of bitcoin, but halving makes the price of bitcoin rise so significantly in certain time. It is also attracts investors, isn't it?

Activity: 784
February 25, 2017, 05:44:52 PM
As the title says, is the halving good or bad for the price of bitcoin?

The halving will decrease the supply of bitcoin, whole keeping the demand, so that would make bitcoin worth more.

But the halving will make mining profitibilty worse, meaning less miners, a higher trans. fee, and maybe causing a smaller demand.

What's your verdict?

I think bitcoin will still go up, as the fees might, let's say, double, but that's still a smaller transaction fee than through the banks...

I cannot see that halving will give bad effect into bitcoin, In fact, even the supply will decrease the value will increase. Though those bitcoin enthusiast who direct mined bitcoin will get affected on this, still the there are part of the bitcoin community that will be in favor and will get benefit unto it.
Activity: 812
Merit: 251
February 25, 2017, 02:21:48 PM
Activity: 102
Merit: 10
February 23, 2017, 09:42:39 AM

That is right. After next halving, the effect of halving will be less.
Activity: 938
January 05, 2017, 04:15:51 PM

Activity: 1834
Merit: 879
Rollbit.com ⚔️Crypto Futures
January 05, 2017, 09:47:33 AM
Merit: 502
January 05, 2017, 09:02:26 AM
offff couurse its good. if it is not, bitcoin would be worthless. who will give money for endless source?
Okay I get your point. Halving makes differrence of bitcoin and paper money. Although minner profit is decrease but the reall is the value is increase. So no disadvantage of halving.
For miners, the halving has a huge impact, the addition of bitcoins comes at the expenses of CPU time and electricity, miners mine bitcoin with hardware that is constantly running to discover the next block using a certain amountof time and electricity, and changing that will change their profit.
Activity: 588
January 05, 2017, 05:30:41 AM
offff couurse its good. if it is not, bitcoin would be worthless. who will give money for endless source?

No, Bitcoin still have worth, even Halving is here or not. It doesn't matter. But it is good for bitcoin wise, I also believe, more even would be happened in bitcoin, like halving. Because it is a way to promoting the bitcoin, and create the attraction about the bitcoin. But you should also see, that Halving is coming after 5 years, but people are not crazy about it, it doesn't mean that they dislike it, off course they like it, But i am totally disagree with your points. 
Activity: 364
January 05, 2017, 05:06:51 AM
The halving that occur last year is slowly making bitcoin  price  gets higher and higher this must be  effect of halving to bitcoin. Not an instant price going up but in a slowly and surely making its way to the new ath.
Yes you are right, the bitcoin price will keep rising although it is just slowly. Also halving is preventing bitcoin from inflation. So I think halving is good for bitcoin.
legendary
January 05, 2017, 04:40:33 AM
You still dont realize if we take your method to extrapolate on the 12. november 2012 we would get a price of 6$ which is the exact same thing you did to get your 720$ which is wrong because we know how the price developed.
And that is exactly what i wanted to show and wrote.

Yeah, if we just decided to estimate the price in November, 2012, with all bitcoins having been mined by then, we would get the price of 6$, but you in fact claimed that we would have had the same price of 6$ if we extrapolated it to today. This what you wrote exactly, and no back pedaling this will change that:

So take nov. 2012 price. Extrapolate to today 12$x10/21 <= 6$

If we correctly extrapolate this price to today taking into account all the demand that has built up since then (which is represented by today's price), we will get my values (i.e. over $700 when the price was ~$950 per coin). This is precisely what you are desperately trying to distract the attention from

duh, well of course because you did the same with your 720$ aka 3/4 of the current price. you disregarded the demand for the future 5 million coins too.
additionaly where the fuck are you right? we have more coins from day to day and the price is now at 1150$... 200$ more then 5 days ago.

Why are you repeating the same stuff all over again, which I have already addressed?

We can estimate the effects of mining all coins only regarding the data we already know. If we analyze that in November, 2012, we will evidently get the price for that date, and you can't possibly claim that the same price will last till today (as you did) or forever. Note that I never claimed that the price I obtained for December, 2016 will be the same from then on or on whatever date in the future, so your references that today, in January, 2017, the price has already changed, are inconsequential and irrelevant. Please show me where I said or implied that or don't come again with it. And this is the exact opposite of what you did by extrapolating the estimated price in November, 2012 to today. In short, don't ascribe to me what I didn't do. I don't extrapolate into the yet unknown future, get it?

my counter example is that you only need to use your method on a random date in the past to get a totaly wrong result (i.e. nov 2012 6$) - and you wont be able to talk yourself out of that

It is fully applicable to current prices. You can easily evaluate what the price would have been today (read slowly again, to-day, i.e. this day) if all bitcoins have been mined by now
Pages:
Jump to: