Pages:
Author

Topic: The kill/trade game - page 10. (Read 9259 times)

legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
May 12, 2013, 08:59:35 PM
So, you want to play, or you just commenting? If everyone who's commented so far is playing, we've got plenty enough for a game. Though I'd like to get at least kokjo or blablahblah in here. More variety in personality.

Sure, I will play. I wonder how this would go as a bitcoin gambling game.
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
May 12, 2013, 08:47:01 PM
I played this once in high school where they were trying to teach us some sort of lesson.

Instead of the kill/trade they just had us do rock paper scissors with our hands but just one finger or two to show our choice.

I understood where the teacher was going with this and understood that by choosing the one finger (trade in this case) each time that if my partner did the same then we would both end up with the highest combined total. My partner did not quite get it through and put out a two finger every once in a while getting more points. But there were a couple of other people who had higher scores than her. Her being hot may have played a role as well.
Hot and devious. a dangerous combination.

So, you want to play, or you just commenting? If everyone who's commented so far is playing, we've got plenty enough for a game. Though I'd like to get at least kokjo or blablahblah in here. More variety in personality.
legendary
Activity: 3598
Merit: 2386
Viva Ut Vivas
May 12, 2013, 08:36:16 PM
I played this once in high school where they were trying to teach us some sort of lesson.

Instead of the kill/trade they just had us do rock paper scissors with our hands but just one finger or two to show our choice.

I understood where the teacher was going with this and understood that by choosing the one finger (trade in this case) each time that if my partner did the same then we would both end up with the highest combined total. My partner did not quite get it through and put out a two finger every once in a while getting more points. But there were a couple of other people who had higher scores than her. Her being hot may have played a role as well.
May 12, 2013, 07:08:45 PM
I'll just go ahead and leave this here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisoner's_dilemma
Yep, you get a kewpie. Wink This is a specific form of the iterated prisoner's dilemma. Like I said, if this first game goes well, I'd like to introduce a few variables to see what happens.
Activity: 742
May 12, 2013, 07:05:38 PM
I'll just go ahead and leave this here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prisoner's_dilemma
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003
May 12, 2013, 07:04:25 PM
Sounds like, in the end, if both trade, they'll inevitably get more points than if they choose to kill; however, if the point of the game is to wind up with more points than the other guy, then killing has to eventually happen.  Once someone gets a lead, it's all downhill, as the other guy knows he has to attempt to kill or else he'll never go forward.  Once someone gets a lead, through killing, he can continue killing, knowing he'll always stay on top by doing so.
Well, that's the point of this exercise, to find out what strategy works best.

The point of the game is simply to end the game with as many points as possible.

So violent competition leads to fewer total points earned, even if one has more than the other, while peaceful competition leads to more points overall; both prosper together, in this case, at an even rate.

It's a simple game, but it has a valuable lesson Grin
May 12, 2013, 07:01:37 PM
Sounds like, in the end, if both trade, they'll inevitably get more points than if they choose to kill; however, if the point of the game is to wind up with more points than the other guy, then killing has to eventually happen.  Once someone gets a lead, it's all downhill, as the other guy knows he has to attempt to kill or else he'll never go forward.  Once someone gets a lead, through killing, he can continue killing, knowing he'll always stay on top by doing so.
Well, that's the point of this exercise, to find out what strategy works best.

The point of the game is simply to end the game with as many points as possible, not necessarily to get more points than your "opponent".
legendary
Activity: 1078
Merit: 1003
May 12, 2013, 06:58:41 PM
May 12, 2013, 06:20:39 PM
Kinda sounds like Rock, Paper, Scissors.  Without the Scissors

Sort of. Except if you both pick paper, everybody wins, and if you both pick rock, nobody wins.

So, you up for a game? If this first one goes well, I have a few variations I'd like to try.
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
Changing avatars is currently not possible.
May 12, 2013, 06:08:14 PM
I propose a game.

It's called "The kill/trade game."

Any number of people can play it, but it works best in pairs. Here's how it works:

I pair you, in this thread, with another participant. You each PM me a simple message. One word, either Kill, or Trade, with the subject being the Round number. If both choose "Trade," both get 2 points. If one chooses Kill, and the other trade, the Killer gets 3, and the other person 0. If both choose Kill, then both get only one point.

A/BTradeKill
Trade(2,2)(0,3)
Kill(3,0)(1,1)

I will post the PMs and the results here. If there are an odd number of participants, I will join in, playing using the determinative "Tit for Tat" strategy. In other words, I will play according to the NAP. We will play for a predetermined, but secret, number of rounds. This is to prevent the knowledge that it is the final round from altering the players' strategy.

What do you say?

Edited for ease of play and provable fairness of results.

Kinda sounds like Rock, Paper, Scissors.  Without the Scissors
May 12, 2013, 03:46:55 PM
I propose a game.

It's called "The kill/trade game."

Any number of people can play it, but it works best in pairs. Here's how it works:

I pair you, in this thread, with another participant. You each PM me a simple message. One word, either Kill, or Trade, with the subject being the Round number. If both choose "Trade," both get 2 points. If one chooses Kill, and the other trade, the Killer gets 3, and the other person 0. If both choose Kill, then both get only one point.

A/BTradeKill
Trade(2,2)(0,3)
Kill(3,0)(1,1)

I will post the PMs and the results here. If there are an odd number of participants, I will join in, playing using the determinative "Tit for Tat" strategy. In other words, I will play according to the NAP. We will play for a predetermined, but secret, number of rounds. This is to prevent the knowledge that it is the final round from altering the players' strategy. The objective of the game is to end the game with as many points as you can.

What do you say?

Edited for ease of play and provable fairness of results.
Pages:
Jump to: