Pages:
Author

Topic: The kill/trade game - page 8. (Read 9259 times)

Activity: 308
Merit: 250
decentralizedhashing.com
May 14, 2013, 11:17:07 PM
Did the programs know of the outcomes of other games in iterated prisoners dilemma?  Is that different here?  If so are you playing tit for tat socially or individually?
Activity: 532
Merit: 500
FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM
May 14, 2013, 04:41:27 PM
Should we be replying now for Round 2?
Yes, please. Smiley again, the round 2 lineup:

Ekaros <--> Rassah
Cameltoemcgee <--> myrkul
FCTaiChi <--> Elwar
Foxpup <-->wdmw
Activity: 199
Merit: 100
May 14, 2013, 04:38:46 PM
Should we be replying now for Round 2?
May 13, 2013, 08:40:28 PM
Oh! And if anyone wants to reserve their spot for Game 2: Overwhelming Power, feel free.

Edit: slight change of plan. Game 2 will be "Free-for-all", game 3 will be "Overwhelming Power"
May 13, 2013, 06:42:05 PM
Please note that new players will increase the maximum societal points, and that nobody is likely to have maximum individual points by the end, which would require killing every time, against opponents that always chose trade. So don't be afraid to join in! The object isn't to get the most points, just as many as you can.
May 13, 2013, 06:29:26 PM
Round one:
Players: 8
Maximum societal points: 16
Maximum individual points: 3

Results:
2 Elwar <--> Foxpup 2
Trade

Trade

3 Rassah <--> Cameltoemcgee 0
trade....

kill

2 wdmw <--> FCTaiChi 2
trade

Trade

3 Ekaros <--> myrkul 0
I of course choose Trade, as per "Tit for Tat"

Kill

I got killed. Sad
Societal total points: 14
Point totals:
Ekaros: 3
Rassah: 3
Elwar: 2
Foxpup: 2
wdmw: 2
FCTaiChi: 2
myrkul: 0
Cameltoemcgee: 0

Round 2:
Ekaros <--> Rassah
Cameltoemcgee <--> myrkul
FCTaiChi <--> Elwar
Foxpup <-->wdmw
May 13, 2013, 06:10:03 PM
I think I try this one out... It can't hurt...
Alright, I await your PM.

Round one final roster:
Elwar <--> Foxpup
Rassah <--> Cameltoemcgee
wdmw <--> FCTaiChi
Ekaros <--> myrkul
Activity: 728
May 13, 2013, 06:07:47 PM
I think I try this one out... It can't hurt...
May 13, 2013, 06:05:03 PM
Should I?

And how to start then. Short term goals or long term? Or maybe mid term, start trading and then vary it up...
This first one is just for fun, and to get players in the "proper" strategic mindset. The really fun stuff starts later.  Grin

So go for kill right?
Up to you. If you start now, you'll be going up against me in the first round.
May 13, 2013, 06:04:20 PM
Should I?

And how to start then. Short term goals or long term? Or maybe mid term, start trading and then vary it up...
This first one is just for fun, and to get players in the "proper" strategic mindset. The really fun stuff starts later.  Grin

So go for kill right?
May 13, 2013, 05:52:28 PM
Should I?

May 13, 2013, 05:48:26 PM
Should I?

May 13, 2013, 05:41:39 PM
All responses are in for round one, so far. Last call for participants!
May 13, 2013, 02:37:51 PM
I'll play your game that you make up where co-operation is a bad strategy that also reflects reality if you'll join this one.  
Some of the variables I plan on introducing in later versions of the game should meet this requirement pretty well. In at least one, I'm going to try and start a war. Grin
legendary
Activity: 1680
Merit: 1035
May 13, 2013, 02:31:04 PM
I could come up with a game where cooperation is a bad strategy, just as easily as i can tell you that NAP is bad for the world.

Sure, but then, if you wanted to use this game as a model for the real world, you would also have to demonstrate from historical and sociological perspective that "cooperation is a bad strategy" applies to the real world, too. Good luck with that.

Conversely, if the premise of this game is that "cooperation is a winning strategy," all you have to do to disprove this theory is to let people in the real world play it out. It if turns out that not cooperating is a better strategy, then the premise of the game is disproven, and you can go on claiming that NAP is wrong, and taking things by force is the natural order of things.
Activity: 199
Merit: 100
May 13, 2013, 02:27:58 PM
I'll play.

And to the people that say this isn't a good model for reality, of course simplification of any system isn't going to have direct correlation to a specific situation.  However, the game does showing that cooperation is the best general practice, whenever possible, does seem to bear out in evolutionary biology, and economics.
I could come up with a game where cooperation is a bad strategy, just as easily as i can tell you that NAP is bad for the world.

This game favors NAP-players, you cannot say that it reflects the real world.

I'll play your game that you make up where co-operation is a bad strategy that also reflects reality if you'll join this one.  
Activity: 308
Merit: 250
decentralizedhashing.com
May 13, 2013, 02:27:25 PM
Telling me what I "cannot say"?
 Tongue

What rule set would you think reflects the average real world situation best?
What would be required for cooperation on the level we have with humans?
Humans made of a hundred trillion cells, and many times that number of microbes, working together to create a forum post.
If that's not winning what is?  The virus loses if it wins, killing all it's hosts.
May 13, 2013, 02:21:24 PM
I'll play.

And to the people that say this isn't a good model for reality, of course simplification of any system isn't going to have direct correlation to a specific situation.  However, the game does showing that cooperation is the best general practice, whenever possible, does seem to bear out in evolutionary biology, and economics.

And yet, sociologists do say just that.

You're welcome to try any strategy you like, including the potentially very profitable "Genghis Khan" strategy: always attack.
legendary
Activity: 1050
Merit: 1000
You are WRONG!
May 13, 2013, 02:15:07 PM
I'll play.

May 13, 2013, 01:52:57 PM
OK, Round 1 is now:
Elwar <--> Foxpup
Rassah <--> Cameltoemcgee
wdmw <--> FCTaiChi
Pages:
Jump to: