Pages:
Author

Topic: The Wasp Project Collective Information thread. - page 10. (Read 38672 times)

Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
Some good news out of Seahawkville.

I'm making the adjustments to allow all three types of chip to run on the same board... needs a few more controllable regulators, some different coils, and a new footprint for the A1 - probably the hardest thing to do in the list. Spent today cleaning up the schematic, making the bill of materials consistent, and ordering the remaining parts that I had overlooked or added since three weeks ago.

Planning on Footprint next, then just wiggling it into the layout, and adjusting the high-current loops for low inductance. I will finish the layout of the LEDs, MCU, CPLD, and JTAG. If I get it done before the "shop" closing time, I'll take it down to the "shop" for a milled prototype, and use that to prove out the MCU, hotplug, and power controls before I send it off to the prototype fabricator, soon hopefully.

At that point, I'll spend that time getting the bringup tests written, and testing the new OS on the emulator. When the boards get back from the fab, I'll give them a once-over, and take a few to the shop to assemble (only partially, since they can't place the real fine- line stuff we're using with their old gear). Meanwhile, I'll have the parts kit completed (last few will arrive soon, suppliers are telling me), and I'll ship them all off to the assembler for a fast build of 4 or 5 demo proto boards.

It's getting close! - Lead EE
100 x A1 chips arrived just now in our Seattle EE's hands more than enough to build 2 complete Wasp Hive prototypes. First the Seahawks and now the chips Seattle is a great town!
Activity: 128
Merit: 100
Great news. Looking forward to hear about working prototypes!
Activity: 854
Merit: 500
Congrats Bick, looks like you are all making great progress.

Wasp

Minion is out at least until May so the Asicminer 40nm 13 gh/s chip is in if we can get them. Gridseed possibly in but we would require the proper chips specs be available and sample chips in February for an early March production run possible for anyone with any substantial Gridseed chips volume if they are still interested.

Hive

Hive is a sandwiched dual board with power on one plane and signals on the other that is married together via connectors and stanchion stabilizers to increase rigidity but not impede airflow. A redesign is currently happening as well as a careful check to make sure our Wasps mate perfect to the Hive. This is necessary since the Hive is being designed in the UK and the Wasp is being designed in the US and both EE teams are cross checking each others designs for errors or potential problems in fabrication. Further shaving of the Hive boards has allowed more airflow in the redesign but we are reaching the limits where flexing of the board could be an issue on this beta version Hive.

Firmware & Software

Progress The Bitfury emulator based on the XMEGA is ready. The controller for the Bitfury (the MCU) is also in a good state. We have just settled on a workload for it, which will be in line with current approaches taken by others (ie, local work generation on the PC). I am currently working on hooking into existing codes, so that we don't have to write our own PC program for feeding the MCU. Once we're talking we will then implement the MCU logic to drive the Bitfury emulator from the data. But, of course, things can always jump up and bite you so we hope no major issues arise.

Website

Currently waiting on a member to update the website with the content we have currently but will be augmented with videos and pictures our work so far on the Wasp & Hive as well as the Pool Information. Waiting on another members to finish the Mining Pool and start on the internal share exchange for our members. We have a bips.me as a payment gateway working now and it will be integrated into the website.

Mining Pool

Two members are finishing the BackEnd+FrontEnd Coding for the pool and it is now going through security and full testing. A few members have offered 20 Gh/s+ to the pool for testing and our soft opening. We have potential customers in the order of 50 Th/s lined up for our hard opening

PR & Marketing

We will have a meeting for PR and Marketing this Friday.

License Fee

There were extensive discussions of the licensing fee at the meeting and it looks like we will be modeling two payment possibilities for fabricators and end users based on a percentage of the $ Gh/s pricing of chips. People will have the option to mine off the licensing fee or pay a flat fee. Flat fee will be slightly lower and available in USD or BTC.

Provisioning Server

Work continues on testing of the provisioning and licensing server and it is likely we will be on schedule for use on the Development Boards coming very soon.

---------

Other News

Many are interested in joining the WPC and we are keen to grow our ranks but before we can even start taking on new members the current membership has decided we need to set up our LLC and finalize our franchise / membership bylaws so that all members are required to sign on to agree to those terms before being a full member. This will take a number of weeks to finish so until then no new members will be added.
Activity: 1302
Merit: 252
Sugars.zone | DatingFi - Earn for Posting
Meeting Update:

"The main take away from the last meeting are that the first boards dev-boards, will have a left column of 8 BitFury, middle column of 2 A1, and right column of 8 BitMain." - Lead EE for the Wasp & Hive Project.

This will cut down on some of our development time to get to our prototype boards that will drop soon afterwards. Again video and pictures will be released when this board is actively working and testing.

More updates later...

3 different chips on 1 board, WTF that will be awesome, I can't wait to see that.  Grin
Will be watching this thread more closely..
Meeting Update:

Wasp

'The main take away from the last meeting is that the first boards dev-boards, will have a left column of 8 BitFury, middle column of 2 A1, and right column of 8 BitMain.' - Lead EE for the Wasp & Hive Project.

This will cut down on some of our development time to get to our prototype boards that will drop soon afterwards. Again video and pictures will be released when this board is actively working and testing. Note that all the components, including the ASIC chips are already in the EE's hands. This now is a matter of testing the dev-board design after it is populated and then moving on to separate prototype boards for A1 Wasp, BitFury Wasp and the BitMain Wasp.

More updates to come later on...

Hive
Firmware & Software
Website
Mining Pool
PR & Marketing
License Fee
Provisioning Server
Groups:

All Active Projects

Next Meeting:

Saturday 8th February 2014

Teamspeak

Location Time:

Seattle, USA 1030 PDT Saturday
    London, UK 1830 GMT Saturday
    Central Europe 1930 CET Saturday
    Jakarta, ID 0130 WIB Sunday

Reporting On

All Projects Overview
    Wasp
    Hive
    Firmware & Software
    Website
    Mining Pool
    PR & Marketing
    License Fee
    Provisioning Server
Well if you can find a reasonable and stable supply of chips let us know.
legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912
The Concierge of Crypto
The future looks bright for miners - Wasps in the mine instead of canaries

Canaries are needed. They die when the oxygen is too low (and you notice they stop singing.) Wasps, they buzz all day not knowing that you are already on an orphan or fork, or ... ok. maybe that's the wrong analogy.

Anyway, I emailed gridseed, but not expecting a reply until next week. Hopefully someone gets us a line to chips.
Activity: 51
Merit: 0
The future looks bright for miners - Wasps in the mine instead of canaries
I got a dual miner, and it seems gridseed also makes those 5 chip round things with heatsinks. You need someone to contact them directly I guess. I'd do it, but I don't speak or understand any Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, etc.)

I'd like to see those on Wasps and Hives.

Need chips not miners. No point unless someone has a line on the chips. At this point you need a Chinese contact to do that. Who is making these chips? In what quantity? Can we buy them now? Etc etc etc... Given the price as well these miners will not likely be any better than a GPU. If you got CHIPS we have the design. But even then who can make our miners with Gridseed chips not for sale anywhere? Seems more like a dream than anything Dabs. Unless you can find a chip pipeline for the whole community we can't really even consider it. We may have our own Scrypt miner solution but as we posted before that is months away.

Again our focus looks to be sha256 and given the Minion delays we would like to make a change for the 40nm Asicminer chip.

February onwards

A1's
BitMain's
BitFury's

March onwards

Asicminer 40nm's

legendary
Activity: 3416
Merit: 1912
The Concierge of Crypto
I got a dual miner, and it seems gridseed also makes those 5 chip round things with heatsinks. You need someone to contact them directly I guess. I'd do it, but I don't speak or understand any Chinese (Mandarin, Cantonese, etc.)

I'd like to see those on Wasps and Hives.
Activity: 840
Merit: 1002
Sounds like a very cool project....watching closely!  Grin
Any idea of when we can expect your license release?Huh

Are any of your prototypes working?

Thanks Smiley

Look at the update just a few posts back gives you general idea where we are. Still waiting on an initial bring up board for the BitFury Wasp.

We will release licensing at the same time the gerbers, bom, software, firmware and hardware are working and we will know better on that come the meeting on Saturday.

A1/BitMain and BitFury Wasps release would come out nearly together if not together and we are hoping for better news this Saturday. We will post more on Sunday.

Thanks!

I am already watching this thread so can't wait for more good news Smiley

LOL Cheesy Me too. I am not just a WPC member but I am a real fan of the project designers hell any engineers that do this sort of work really so many great ones in our community. The past few months of CAD design hell have really been painful to watch the EE go through and I am sure there are still some gremlins in the mix still to come but it be nice to have the next couple of meetings be all good news.
Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

Thanks Smiley

Look at the update just a few posts back gives you general idea where we are. Still waiting on an initial bring up board for the BitFury Wasp.

We will release licensing at the same time the gerbers, bom, software, firmware and hardware are working and we will know better on that come the meeting on Saturday.

A1/BitMain and BitFury Wasps release would come out nearly together if not together and we are hoping for better news this Saturday. We will post more on Sunday.

Thanks!

I am already watching this thread so can't wait for more good news Smiley

Thanks Smiley

Activity: 1582
Merit: 502

Thanks Smiley
Sounds like they just delayed Minion to after May 1st, and it doesn't sound competitive with what ASICMiner announced today. As a potential future collective member and/or customer, I'm much more interested in the ASICMiner offering.

We have about 4 or 5 members trying hard to contact FriedCat as soon as the announcement came down. Minion to May 1st not a problem I bet they come up with something that beats the ASICminer 40nm in speed and price but let us see. Where did you get that news about Minion? https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.4832034 Found it.

We love watching this competition. Given our design the lower cost of the chip the better for everyone just need chips and specs and we are good to redesign the wasp to work in a very short turnaround. Exciting times.
Activity: 195
Merit: 100
Sounds like they just delayed Minion to after May 1st, and it doesn't sound competitive with what ASICMiner announced today. As a potential future collective member and/or customer, I'm much more interested in the ASICMiner offering.
Pages:
Jump to: