Pages:
Author

Topic: Titan Bitcoins - Physical Bitcoins with 2-factor authentication - page 5. (Read 12778 times)

Activity: 267
Merit: 250
Update:   For those paying direct with bitcoins, the price has dropped to 1.39BTC.

Thanks.

Sweet. I'm just waiting for the non 2 factor coins.
Activity: 366
Merit: 258
Update:   For those paying direct with bitcoins, the price has dropped to 1.39BTC.

Thanks.
Update: Coins with private keys included (same as Casascius) are now available for those that want them.  For those that bought via PM, your coins are shipping out either today or tomorrow morning and you'll get an email when its marked as shipped in our system.

http://www.titanbtc.com/product/titan-one/

Thanks!   

P.S.  I don't recommend coins with private keys if you intend to resell, due to the ease of counterfeiting/hacking, but you wanted them so here they are...Smiley
legendary
Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002
Hello!
ok let me know
if you send me one of these i will make a video to determine if my cat prefers these over cass coins

Does the cat have good taste?  You're going to have be OK with a coin that smells strongly of tuna if this is how it's going to be.

yes he is an excellent cat. Smelling strongly of tuna is fine, however the other coin might also smell of tuna from last years unrelated tuna salad incident

I just ordered some catnip off of Amazon to give us the edge.  We'll be in touch.
legendary
Hello!
if you send me one of these i will make a video to determine if my cat prefers these over cass coins

Does the cat have good taste?  You're going to have be OK with a coin that smells strongly of tuna if this is how it's going to be.

yes he is an excellent cat. Smelling strongly of tuna is fine, however the other coin might also smell of tuna from last years unrelated tuna salad incident

Does the cat have good taste?  You're going to have be OK with a coin that smells strongly of tuna if this is how it's going to be.
legendary
Hello!
Update: We'll be offering coins with the private key included early next week. 

A few of you have PM'ed me about quantity discounts.  We're talking to a few resellers currently.  If you want to be reseller, we'll make a discount available for you.  The best way to move forward with that is to PM me or email me at [email protected].

I like your pick of cupernickle over brass. It is a really strong alloy that also looks good. Most Thai coins are made of this. This stuff is almost resistant to saltwater as well (not that it will really matter here).

This is not cupronickel. Titan stated this was "Goldline" which is a proprietary brass alloy. Also, cupronickel resembles silver, not gold.

Anyway, very nice coin Titan.

You are right, but this is from the web site

The Titan One is minted using a copper-nickel alloy, affectionately called “Goldine”

Goldline is Brass and 25 to 30% zinc?

The material is Goldine.  It has a distinctly different appearance from the brass coins that we have here, but it may be closer to brass than it is to cupronickel.  The phrase cupronickel apparently covers a range of alloys that can have varying appearances.  It's likely that Goldine has both zinc and nickel in the alloy, but I honestly hadn't looked for the specific composition breakdown until this conversation.  

The foundry that is supplying the blanks described this alloy as a "copper-nickel alloy" and it may have been designed specifically for coin production.  It was marked as a 230 alloy on some of the documentation we received.  If this is referring to the 230 alloy range for brass, then it may mean that it has a much higher copper content (85%+).  The next time I talk to the supplier, I will make sure we get this clarified.  

We chose this particular material both because of its superior appearance and its resistance to "dulling" over time.  However, the other denominations are different alloys.  
Activity: 707
Merit: 500
I like your pick of cupernickle over brass. It is a really strong alloy that also looks good. Most Thai coins are made of this. This stuff is almost resistant to saltwater as well (not that it will really matter here).

This is not cupronickel. Titan stated this was "Goldline" which is a proprietary brass alloy. Also, cupronickel resembles silver, not gold.

Anyway, very nice coin Titan.
These are not decentralized? We must use your website to get the btc out?

Chaang Noi, we created a closed system to address the security concerns with buying other physical bitcoins like Casascius coins from private parties.  Because it's relatively easy to both hack and counterfeit, there's no good way to know if the private key has been compromised on standard Casascius coins.  Our solution for now is to offer Coin registration.  The coin can't be redeemed without access to the email address that is currently tied to the coin.  When a coin is sold, the new owner can change the email address to one they have exclusive access to, and the coin's value is protected.

This is a service for those that want it or who don't necessarily know enough about bitcoins to understand how to keep their wallet truly secure.  I fight for decentralization myself, and we'll be offering coins with the private key included shortly.  We're also working on other solutions to the two-factor authentication issue and I'd love to have input from valued members of the community like yourself.

Thanks for the reply. I do agree that that there is both the hacking and counterfeit risk with Casascius coins. Do not get me wrong I have over 1,500 BTC stored on Casascius coins, have met Mike in person and think over all it is an awesome product but there is always room for improvement. You can see from my sig that I myself am working on a physical coin and have my own (now secret) solution to the Casascius "hack".

Your two-factor solution is interesting but what happens if your website goes down, gets hacked or god forbid you guys die. I have my Casasicus coins because I know in 100 years they will be as good as they are now and I bought directly from Mike. To hold a lot of your coins with this sort of 2fa I would have to be very sure in your guys back up plans.

Anyway I plan to buy one of each type of your coins and maybe more in the future.

Edit: As I read more about this, the coins does not hold any BTC but only a key that lets me get one in the future? Is that correct?  

@DobZombie  Grow up little boy and quit begging in all the goods threads asking for free stuff for your "collection". Asking how things work is not trolling esp when OP said

please ask anything you like here.

Both the coins that have a private key under the hologram and the ones that use our 2-factor authentication system have BTC stored at an address, waiting to be redeemed.  For coins with 2 Factor Authentication, they are redeemed through our website.

There was some confusion in the other thread.  We're NOT operating a fractional reserve as some have asked or suggested.  At any time, you can verify that your coin has its BTC backing by looking at its address on the blockchain.  Just scan the QR code on the back of the coin to view its status page.

Chaang Noi, we created a closed system to address the security concerns with buying other physical bitcoins like Casascius coins from private parties.  Because it's relatively easy to both hack and counterfeit, there's no good way to know if the private key has been compromised on standard Casascius coins.  Our solution for now is to offer Coin registration.  The coin can't be redeemed without access to the email address that is currently tied to the coin.  When a coin is sold, the new owner can change the email address to one they have exclusive access to, and the coin's value is protected.

This is a service for those that want it or who don't necessarily know enough about bitcoins to understand how to keep their wallet truly secure.  I fight for decentralization myself, and we'll be offering coins with the private key included shortly.  We're also working on other solutions to the two-factor authentication issue and I'd love to have input from valued members of the community like yourself.
The design of the coin is sweet, but if the material could be gold (maybe 5 or 10 version), this would be better seller imo

Thanks!  Silver and Gold are coming shortly.  We have 6 different denominations that we'll be releasing and the higher denominations (5 and 10) will be offered in Silver and Gold.

Activity: 114
Merit: 10
The design of the coin is sweet, but if the material could be gold (maybe 5 or 10 version), this would be better seller imo
Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

Explained here:

For security, we used a closed system that tracks coin ownership, with 2-factor authentication built in.  For people that don't want that extra protection, we'll be offering to include the private key on the coin shortly.
Activity: 960
Merit: 502
They look pretty sweet.
Wow, looks great, although the price is a bit steep for a hunk of metal.

I think these are cheaper than Casascius coins, for the moment at least.  The price probably will go up tomorrow, unfortunately, as we buy the bitcoins to load onto these coins at current market prices.  BTC is going up.

For people just getting started with Bitcoin, the ease of just buying one of these versus having to learn about the technology and install a wallet is worth the price premium.  Its a quick way to bring them into the community.

Oddly, I've actually heard from a few people that think we should be charging more.  Go figure.
Pages:
Jump to: