Pages:
Author

Topic: Troubleshooting and repair guide for AvalonMiner models 721, 741, 761, 821 & 841 - page 9. (Read 23873 times)

legendary
Activity: 4102
Merit: 7765
'The right to privacy matters'
Does reflashing the firmware fix the issue?

I visited Cryptouniverse guys Thomas and Stefan in Vienna, Austria
and we did some tutorial videos that support the documentation.

Stefan made this quick video for the reflash process.
How to Reflash your Avalonminer 7xx and 8xx Controller
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCMklnJ5zFo

All videos are available at Cryptouniverse's Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCInEqiW0nEVRtynoSRipp4Q

I'm going to do some updates to this guide and also add videos for each chapter.

I ordered a kit from amazon.

Proper way to be sure is know you have working gear.
I will order this  make sure it works then put the card I got today in it.  If it works I will run the avalon 841 on friday.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0778CZ97B/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

also burned a scared it does not work.  So when I get the rasp pi from amazon on friday I will have 2 sdcards I can test in it.

Now for me doing a deep thread under hard ware a dead rasp pi is not a big issue.  To a miner looking to do 4 chains of 3 miners total of 12 miners and about 12 x 13 = 156th it is costly.

Even a days wait costs 94 dollars   so if you are going to mine  avalon 841's have an extra rasp pi. an extra full kit is 69 dollars at amazon

this is a full kit

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0778CZ97B/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

with its own working software for other rasp pi ops.

this makes it a perfect diagnostic tool for

dead brick
bad card
bad cable
bad rasp pi

So I now have 2 sc cards burned with correct firmware and I think 1 dead rasp pi board

with a full kit on the way.

When kit comes I will boot rasp pi with included software if that works I will try the 2 cards I have now.  the one I burned and the other one that was included.
legendary
Activity: 2422
Merit: 1706
Electrical engineer. Mining since 2014.
Does reflashing the firmware fix the issue?

I visited Cryptouniverse guys Thomas and Stefan in Vienna, Austria
and we did some tutorial videos that support the documentation.

Stefan made this quick video for the reflash process.
How to Reflash your Avalonminer 7xx and 8xx Controller
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCMklnJ5zFo

All videos are available at Cryptouniverse's Youtube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCInEqiW0nEVRtynoSRipp4Q

I'm going to do some updates to this guide and also add videos for each chapter.
legendary
Activity: 4102
Merit: 7765
'The right to privacy matters'
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.35573797 above is link to my review of the avalon 841.

Okay  here is a start on Rasp pi issues.

Why is this my unit came today and the rasp pi is not detected.
I am 99% sure rasp pi does not boot.
I am sure cable is good.
I am sure power brick is good.
I am not sure rasp pi is defective
I am not sure  mini card is defective

Below is what the mini card in the rasp pi looks like.

So if you have a working avalon sd card  does  it look like this one?

Moderator's note: This post was edited by frodocooper to reduce the size of the embedded image.
legendary
Here is a great video showing how to replace a faulty cooling fan.

Avalonminer 741 and 841 Fan Replacement Tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ltqGavbzd0

All thanks goes to Cryptouniverse guys (http://www.cryptouniverse.at).
Activity: 74
Merit: 76
It's hashing!

All I did this morning was to change the network to DCHP from static.

I guess I missed this because my other Avalons (5-741s and 821) must have been already defaulted to DCHP as I never had to change this before  Tongue

I feel like a fool - oh well, at least it's working!

>>>> One other quick question - if I run another 841 on a 110v line, will the reduced voltage hurt the machine at all besides reducing the TH/s?

THANKS for putting up with me - much appreciated.

Congrats  !
legendary
I have made few updates and the newest version of this guide (April 10, 2018) is now available.  Smiley
legendary
Running your A841 using the 110V mains voltage will not hurt it,
but you got to be absolutely sure that your power supply unit is able to provide enough power when connected to the 110V mains voltage.

I absolutely prefer using 220V or greater mains voltage.

But if you must use 110V mains voltage you could use these psus for example,
- 1x EVGA SuperNOVA 1600 G2, 80+ GOLD 1600W
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=120-G2-1600-X1

or

- 2x Hewlett-Packard HSTNS-PL18 server power supply with breakout board and cables
https://www.parallelminer.com/product/1500-watt-2-x-750w-100v-240v-hp-80-gold-power-supply-kit-for-gpu-mining-16awg-pcie-cables-6-pin-to-8-pin-62-zec-dash-eth/
Activity: 125
Merit: 10
How about running another A-841 on  a 110v circuit - any issues doing that?
legendary
Yeah, always make sure that your network settings are compatible with your infrastructure (routers, etc.).
It's hashing!

All I did this morning was to change the network to DCHP from static.

I guess I missed this because my other Avalons (5-741s and 821) must have been already defaulted to DCHP as I never had to change this before  Tongue

I feel like a fool - oh well, at least it's working!

>>>> One other quick question - if I run another 841 on a 110v line, will the reduced voltage hurt the machine at all besides reducing the TH/s?

THANKS for putting up with me - much appreciated.
legendary
Please make sure that you have a working firmware install and that it is the A841 firmware version.

https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/reviewguide-avalonminer-841-130-ths-1290w-bitcoin-sha-256-asic-miner-3191702

You can also open a support ticket at www.canaan.io
I've tried every possible combination of data cable / AUC converter / PSU (all supplied by 220v) / controllers / internet connections...... - every swap out was done with working items from an already operating A-821. Every swap out resulted in the A-821 restarting successfully. So no faulty hardware/equip there.

I have used several SD cards updated to the latest 841 firmware in several Raspberry Pi 3 Model B. (openwrt-brcm2708-bcm2710-rpi-3-ext4-sdcard.img).

The best I get is a constantly cycling A-841. The same results individually on both of my new A-841s.

I believe my issue is related to the following (copied from the CGMiner API log) (as if I really know anything):

[Firmware Version] => Avalon Firmware - 20180305
    luci: 62d814c
    cgminer: b5b497e
    cgminer-packages: 960e108
Socket connect failed => Connection refused

It has to be something on my end - hopefully someone can help me with this (internet connection / controller firmware?Huh?)

Thanks in advance

Yes, I did.

Assuming the 821 firmware will also run the 841, I also swapped out a hashing 821 with the new 841(s). Using everything the same, I just removed the data cable from the 821 and plugged it into the 841 - no good - the 841 never got past the green light.

I can't believe both of these new 841s are bad....

Huh??
legendary
Did you try another Micro USB Cable?

Are you sure youe cable is able to transmit data and it is not for charging only?
Sorry, I guess I posted my issues in the incorrect post (your review guide in the hardware section) and it got deleted by the admin - sorry.

But - here is that post (with additional below):

**************************************************************************************************************************
I recently received (2) Avalon 841's and cannot get either of them to run.

I initially tried them downstream of an already hashing 821 - no luck. If I put the 841 1st, then the 821 - neither worked.

I then tried the 841 with their own controller with 841 pre-installed software (for Avalon 821/841) - no luck on either 841 with different power supplies.

I changed AUC3's, data cables.

Nothing I do works.

When I say it does not work or no luck, here is what happens - initially powers up and fan runs at full speed (light light blue/white) for about 20 seconds, the the fans (almost) stops and the light is now green - it never turns blue - never spins back up /hashes.

On other item, both the Kano worker page and the Avalon CGminer status the 841 as connected to the pool OK, but not hashing.

So I have 2- 841's just waiting to start hashing - Can someone HELP me??? !!!
************************************************************************************************************************

Update - I have tried everything:  changing AUC3 data cable, AUC converter, PSU, controllers, internet port connection and even tried all of that on the 2nd 841 (I have just been trying to get one unit to run).

When I rewrote the Raspberry Pi3 Firmware onto a newly reformatted card (again), there was one difference - this time the 841 cycles on and off every minute or so. Now it cycles on (with green light) for a minute now (longer than before), the cycles off (still green) and repeats this on/off routine continuously (always green).  Huh

Activity: 77
Merit: 3
Join CKPool!
Great job, very detailed.

Have you found it to improve significantly in thermal performance if you replaced the thermal compound with a high quality brand?
legendary
Activity: 3612
Merit: 2506
Evil beware: We have waffles!
Might want to add that when the AUC3 is not seen at all under Avalon Devices to be sure the USB-A to micro-USB cable between the RasPi and AUC is a data cable and not a charger/power cable. They are wired differently and many power/charger cables do not support data transfer.

After mentioning that point to someone in a different thread (and yes was the answer) whatcha think happened when I just hooked up one of my new 841's?
Yep.
After waiting a good 5 min and still no AUC reported, I found another USB cable I was certain is for data and voila'! AUC3 found and miner now happily hashing away at Kano.
legendary
@yxt
I think it should be quite obvious that you don't have to tear it down completely if you only need to change a fan.  Cheesy

But your suggestion is good,

I will change the order to -> 2. Troubleshooting - 3. Tear down.
EDIT: ^ This has now been done and the guide is updated (April 2, 2018).

Any other ideas?  Smiley
yxt
legendary
Activity: 3528
Merit: 1116
good job Smiley

maybe you want to change
2) Tear down
3) Troubleshooting

make no sense to tear it down complete if you only have a broken fan Wink
legendary
Changelog:

Code:
Release v1.5 March 14, 2019
- The AUC troubleshooting part is updated.

Release v1.41 March 7, 2019
- A minor fix for the AUC troubleshooting part

Release v1.4 May 14, 2018
- A huge update for the 'How to read the abbreviations and values found in the CGMiner API Log' chapter.
- The table of contents and the subchapters are now improved.

Release v1.3 May 8, 2018
- Added more information in the Hash board troubleshooting.
- Added more information in the PMU board troubleshooting.
- Tear down tutorial video added.
- Cooling fan replacement tutorial video added.
- LED Color tutorial video added.
- Added a bit of information about the 'Socket connect failed => Connection refused' error.
- Added the safest input voltage area in the How to check the psu health -chapter.
- PSU health check tutorial video added.
- Added more LED color information.
- Added new chapter 'How to read the abbreviations and values found in the CGMiner API Log'.
- CGMiner API Log guide tutorial video added.
- Added tutorial video How to Identify your Avalonminer for Troubleshooting.
- All the mess in the previous version Tear down -chapter is now fixed.

Release v1.2 April 10, 2018
- Added more information about 'How to indicate your miner’s physical location'.
- Added new instructions 'How to locate and open the CGMiner API Log'.
- Added more information about 'How to check the power supply unit health'.

Release v1.1 April 2, 2018
- Changed the chapter order to 1. General information, most common tools needed;
  2. Troubleshooting; 3. Tear down; 4. Conclusion.

Release v1.0 March 31, 2018
- First version of the 'Troubleshooting and repair guide for AvalonMiner models 721, 741, 761, 821 & 841' is now released.

(Reserved for questions, answers, other material..)
Pages:
Jump to: