Pages:
Author

Topic: [Unofficial] New Global Moderator Election - [Discussion] - page 9. (Read 11210 times)

legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1267
In Memory of Zepher
AND without the authorisation or blessing of the decision maker.
I don't particularly see what's wrong with not having theymos' consent with this. The vote is essentially the same as me making a thread titled 'Who do you think the best moderator is?', only with an actual reason behind it and made by some people of a higher rank than me.
If theymos doesn't approve, he could simply not acknowledge the vote whatsoever and pick (or not pick) based on his own accord. It would be a let down, of course, but the vote will just be used to perhaps help in the decision.

From what I can see theymos is too busy currently to put all of his attention towards the forum and see who is helping the most and would be a best fit for the moderation team. This vote is simply to try and help him out. I don't mean this in a snarky or rude way, but if you have a better idea I'm sure the staff would like to hear it.
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1183
dogiecoin.com
This doesn't seem right at all. Public voting to establish moderation, public voting where everyone's votes are considered equal on a site with an alt to person ratio of probably 3x, AND without the authorisation or blessing of the decision maker.
legendary
Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965
Terminated.
I don't particularly care as long as persecutions and subsequent bans are not going to be made in public.
I don't think they ever will.

...the whole process of publicly electing new global moderators doesn't make much sense, and to me, looks more like farce and mockery
Read the fine print:
Disclaimer
This is not an official election. The winner is not guaranteed to be promoted to Global Moderator, however he/she will be suggested to theymos to be promoted. This is only to determine who the community wants as a Global Moderator. Theymos may choose to promote the winner of this election, he also may not. He may choose to promote no one, he may choose to promote someone else.
legendary
Activity: 3430
Merit: 1280
English ⬄ Russian Translation Services
Well, I can only say that this should have been expected

Regarding who is going to join the ranks of global moderators, I don't particularly care as long as persecutions and subsequent bans are not going to be made in public. On the other hand, if banned users should be tagged appropriately (Banned rank or something to that tune) without disclosing full details about who banned whom and for what exactly, the whole process of publicly electing new global moderators doesn't make much sense, and to me, it looks more like farce and mockery
legendary
Terminated.
Some mods are more active or exactly are less silent in their actions than others. I feel that the vote is a little bit biased by this fact but it remains valid imo.
That is correct, however that raises more questions. For example, does being the most active moderator make you the most *qualified* one? Does being a moderator for the most amount of time (regardless of activity) make you the most *qualified* one? If yes, why? If no, why not? et. al. You could gain *some* insight in regards to mod activity if you analyze mod payments but that's about it. In most cases you will just end up attempting to guess which address belongs to whom.

legendary
Activity: 2142
Merit: 1065
✋(▀Ĺ̯ ▀-͠ )
Some mods are more active or exactly are less silent in their actions than others. I feel that the vote is a little bit biased by this fact but it remains valid imo.
Will vote later tho, prefer that the new global mod (if approved by Theymos) think twice before taking decisions that could be controversial...
Good luck for everyone.
global moderator
Activity: 3766
Merit: 2610
In a world of peaches, don't ask for apple sauce
These days, this forum is all noise, virtually no signal. Have fun moderating it.

That's the idea. Try to bring the noise back down to normal. I'm sure it's affecting business but something can really only be done once it's proved to Theymos, right?

Hell I'd take over if they'd take me. The worst boards IMO are the bitcoin discussion board, anything in economics and even the marketplace a lot of the times needs heavy moderation just to keep the signature spammers at bay.

I must admit I voted based on who's presence I see the most on bitcointalk. Lauda and Achow101 are very active and mitchell is active too so that's what I based my votes on.

<...>

Admins: can do everything imaginable on the site. They however can't delete their accounts.

Global Moderators: can perma ban, nuke newbies, see and handle reports from all sections, and see reported PMs.

Moderators: can see and handle reports from their sections and nuke newbies

Patrollers: Are essentially Moderators but can only do moderator tasks for newbie members.

<...>
legendary
Activity: 1382
Merit: 1122
These days, this forum is all noise, virtually no signal. Have fun moderating it.

That's the idea. Try to bring the noise back down to normal. I'm sure it's affecting business but something can really only be done once it's proved to Theymos, right?

Hell I'd take over if they'd take me. The worst boards IMO are the bitcoin discussion board, anything in economics and even the marketplace a lot of the times needs heavy moderation just to keep the signature spammers at bay.

I must admit I voted based on who's presence I see the most on bitcointalk. Lauda and Achow101 are very active and Mitchell is active too so that's what I based my votes on. Is there somewhere where we can see the differences between the ranks (because I really don't know what they are other than moderating the whole forum rather than just one section)?

Report a lot of posts (somewhat accurately at least) and theymos might, when we need more patrollers (or maybe even board mods).

Well it's true you learn something every day. I didn't even know there were such thing as patrollers. I guess that's why the 'patrol' option exists haha. I have a look through there every so often and report all of the spamming newbies.

<...>

Admins: can do everything imaginable on the site. They however can't delete their accounts.

Global Moderators: can perma ban, nuke newbies, see and handle reports from all sections, and see reported PMs.

Moderators: can see and handle reports from their sections and nuke newbies

Patrollers: Are essentially Moderators but can only do moderator tasks for newbie members.

<...>

Perfect! Thank you very much!
copper member
Activity: 1876
Merit: 1874
Goodbye, Z.
3. Michelle.
Vote Laura & Michelle for Miss Bitcointalk 2016!
legendary
Terminated.
Its not off topic. If you are going to elect a "Global Moderator", voters may want to know where they stand on the issue, and I might add its arguably the single most important issue facing this forum.
Well, if you are going to discuss the stances of individual moderators regarding it, then you are right. If you're going to discuss whether spam needs to be tackled and how, then it may very well be off-topic. Being a global moderator is not limited to this specific problem.

I know know that the forum ticker talks about "the next phase of the beta forum software", but I will believe that there is a new forum software when I actually see it rolled out. Wink
FYI those features are implemented. Also you may not have noticed the new 'News' above regarding the new forum.

I am a bit confused about the difference of moderator and staff.
The staff ranks: patroller, section moderator, global moderator, admin. The first two are going to be marked as 'Staff' in all sections excluding the ones that they are assigned to (does not include patroller). Example: If you go to the Speculation section, you will see 'Moderator' under my name.
Activity: 1246
Merit: 588
I am a bit confused about the difference of moderator and staff. Well a moderator is obviously moderates that certain category but are  they not staff as well? Anyways back to the topic i  think as well that this is a good  way to at least find a remedy what is currently happening.
legendary
Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064
I'll give my top priorities to Mitch since he can make tasks more easier with his custom bots.
AFAIK the new forum has those features built in, ergo the bot will likely be obsolete. However, yes, the bot was a tremendous help against the KNCMiner and Speculation section spam.

I know know that the forum ticker talks about "the next phase of the beta forum software", but I will believe that there is a new forum software when I actually see it rolled out. Wink
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
Its not off topic. If you are going to elect a "Global Moderator", voters may want to know where they stand on the issue, and I might add its arguably the single most important issue facing this forum. As for the crux of the matter; I argued it 5 years ago, that if you allow financial incentive for people to post for post count sake, this is precisely what you will get; moderation cant stop it, at most slow it down a bit, but people will push the boundary of what moderators allow, diluting content for post count sake. Signal/noise will drop, causing knowledgeable and interesting posters to leave, further lowering S/N until it snowballs out of control. Q.E.D.

Gavin anderson:
Last Active:   April 21, 2016, 12:36:37 PM

DeathAndTaxes:
Last Active:   April 22, 2015, 11:53:28 AM

JoelKatz
Still seems to lurk, but hasnt posted in over a year.

etc, etc

legendary
Terminated.
-snip-
This discussion was beaten to death in several topics already. Tl;dr: Signature campaigns can be considered fine, and there is nothing wrong with genuine people, that are trying to contribute, earning some bonuses along the way. The problematic lies in people that are heavily farming accounts, shitposting and whatnot which is killing the forum from inside out. That said, this discussion would be kind-of off-topic so let's not derail this. If you want to continue discussing this, then bump up one of the older threads.  
Activity: 518
Merit: 500
Frankly, whats the point?

As long as forum rules allow monetization of signature space, 'pay per post' schemes, selling of accounts etc, no amount of moderation is going to make this forum worth reading again. I used to read most new threads, back in the day, before people created accounts to earn a few satoshi from their signature space, faucets, or to sell their high activity accounts later; these days I occasionally log in and click the unread thread link, only to find nothing but useless threads about gambling, pointless post bump newbie threads and similar. If there are still threads worth reading, I cant find them, and I cant be bothered to dig for them.

BTW, when I see staff selling their own signature space to gambling sites, what hope could there be?

legendary
Terminated.
Voted, can't see theymos promoting a staff member to Glob mod based on public votes though.
To be honest, neither do I. However, I think this is quite an interesting social experiment for our little community here. Can do community make such important decisions as a whole? (no drama and other nonsense) How resistant is this to *corruption*? et al.

From other thread:
I'll give my top priorities to Mitch since he can make tasks more easier with his custom bots.
AFAIK the new forum has those features built in, ergo the bot will likely be obsolete. However, yes, the bot was a tremendous help against the KNCMiner and Speculation section spam.
staff
Activity: 3374
Merit: 6530
Just writing some code
    -snip-
    • No Electioneering. This means that you cannot campaign for a candidate in order to get more people to vote for him. Any user found to be electioneering will have their vote disregarded. Any candidate who is electioneering will be removed from the ballot.
    [/list]
    -snip-

Would these posts be considered against the rules? They are providing the rationale for their votes, and not electioneering as such.
    Posting them here since the other thread is to be exclusively used for voting....

Haven't seen the others as active(continuously) yet , and AFAIK Dabs is a fairly new mod
    No, those are fine. I consider electioneering along the lines of "vote for X". Giving rationale for their vote should not count.

Voted, can't see theymos promoting a staff member to Glob mod based on public votes though.
    Not just based on public votes though; the candidates were chosen because of activity.

Also, I'm newer than Dabs  Grin
    legendary
      -snip-
      • No Electioneering. This means that you cannot campaign for a candidate in order to get more people to vote for him. Any user found to be electioneering will have their vote disregarded. Any candidate who is electioneering will be removed from the ballot.
      -snip-

Would these posts be considered against the rules? They are providing the rationale for their votes, and not electioneering as such.
      Posting them here since the other thread is to be exclusively used for voting....

Haven't seen the others as active(continuously) yet , and AFAIK Dabs is a fairly new mod
      Activity: 924
      Merit: 1003
      4 Mana 7/7
      legendary
      Wouldn't the best suited candidate for the job be the least popular among the masses?  Grin
      The perils of a democracy...
      Pages:
      Jump to: