Pages:
Author

Topic: [UPDATE] RX480 (Ref) 31+Mh, Custom Rom - VDDC OFFSET + Custom timing - page 47. (Read 231013 times)

Activity: 588
Merit: 500
BitcoreService.com
Activity: 50
Merit: 0
I`ve run 2 cards rx480 ref with mod bios under Win 10Pro. On 1100/2200 have about 29,4 mgh on each. TDP about 140w on each card on the wall (387W with amd fx990a (AM3+) and Athlon X3 4gb ram). On of the card I started yesterday on riser x1-x1 without any additional energy. All is well over 24h. But on rig I`ll make 4 rx480ref with risers x16-x16 with add. energy. (for reliability) Great thanks to Eliovp  for his job!!!  Wink
legendary
Activity: 1901
Merit: 1024
It is bad card if you calculate power draw and power used from PCI-e connector (downlocked R8 390 with less voltage will be in par with power usage with RX cards and one is 28 and other 14nm), that is why I sad use just one line from PSU, because most PSU have 2 lines they are in trouble, most rigs are build with 5-6 cards and custom cables must be used
AMD is not smart , its brute forcing power use, the 480 is only good to NV because it use 256bit over 1060 Nvidia and 192bit memory, if NV 1060 was 256bit card it would give easy 32mhs with OC, memory is limited factor for hashing this end of the POW life ETH algo
Activity: 687
Merit: 502
I could bet none have 31+Mh stable for more then few hours, its fanny that ppl flash some extreme settings with no testing for at least 48+ mining ethereum

Sure 29-30 is duable on cards with samsung memory but please test it for 2+ days with no restarts and only then say its wokrs with no problems

About melting sata cables (use direcly only molex), don`t use them 480 is bad card and use a lot power, even new NV 10xx use a lot but RX 4xx is disaster, if you do be sure to lower the voltage and not dual mine
480 a bad card ? lol
The thing is that many newbies use these cards like any other card that hardly draw any power from the riser. Some people dont even have a killawatt to see what is happening.
If people could stop running more then one of the cheapest riser they could find per powerline many cards/other hw would be saved from disaster.

I run my rigs with four 480s each because thats how many powerlines my psu:s have to power the risers.
They run custom bioses and run stable @ 30.5Mhs each, the riser connectors are in no way near crazy hot.

Show me another card that does the ETH bang for the buck like the 480 do.
The 480 is not a bad card.
legendary
There ae more the one bioses, for me the one that is prolly gona be unstable is extreme one, build for 31Mhz
Also ppl with extenders only might have power issue if they use sata->power or they overload the sata/molex PSU line with rigs of 5-6 cards
Activity: 546
Merit: 250
Active Trading on EPIC5k and Spectre.Ai
I used my 2 480s for dual mining on Claymores program more many 48 hour stints with no issues.

Ive reached my hand into my case while mining and grabbed cables, touched cards, never felt anything hot or abnormal.

Especially with the new bios having lower power consumption, with decent airflow I dont see them getting hot.

I used my new bios and mined with it for a couple of hours. Set the GPU target temp to 75 C and fan to 70%, after a few hours the gpu showed 64 C and 60% fan. Held 29.X MHs just fine.
legendary
I could bet none have 31+Mh stable for more then few hours, its fanny that ppl flash some extreme settings with no testing for at least 48+ mining ethereum

Sure 29-30 is duable on cards with samsung memory but please test it for 2+ days with no restarts and only then say its wokrs with no problems

About melting sata cables (use direcly only molex), don`t use them 480 is bad card and use a lot power, even new NV 10xx use a lot but RX 4xx is disaster, if you do be sure to lower the voltage and not dual mine
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----
SUCCESS!!!

Took me about 1.5 hours of playing with it until I got it work. PRO TIP follow Cittronicks steps EXACTLY and it will work, and save you ALOT of time.

Interesting note: After I flashed my 480 gpu BIOS and then did the driver update my ETHERNET DRIVER GOT DELETED! Luckily I was able to download it onto my phone and then hook my phone up via usb and transfer the driver. No idea why that happened but it did, might not be a bad idea to download the Ethernet driver and save it to desktop just in case.

Anywho.

Before flash:

24.5 MHs eth solo @ ~115 watt from GPU-Z

After Flash:

29.2 MHs eth solo @ ~90 watt from GPU-Z.

20% more hash and 22% less power consumption, WIN WIN either way. Going to flash my other gpu tonight and let it run for a day, but prelim tests were rock solid.

super!

thanks to Heliox/Eliovp !
Activity: 2086
Merit: 562
Ok, here.

For the linux guys.

Just flash rom and run it, card won't consume more than 100w and will stay under 85degrees at all times.
No more jumping around between DPM states.

When running stock, speed on Ethereum will be around 30Mh (as you can see in my included image).

Core clock is set to go to 1191Mh and memory will go to 2200.

Rom: Here

Large image: Here

For the Windows guys, for now, same thing, only Windows 10 with signature check disabled and a modified atikmdag.sys file.

Had no chance to do a decent energy test, will do this later.

Greetings

Hi I got this message when I tried to flash my XFX RX 480 using your mod... Is there something missing or things that I neglect to do? 
Active Trading on EPIC5k and Spectre.Ai
SUCCESS!!!

Took me about 1.5 hours of playing with it until I got it work. PRO TIP follow Cittronicks steps EXACTLY and it will work, and save you ALOT of time.

Interesting note: After I flashed my 480 gpu BIOS and then did the driver update my ETHERNET DRIVER GOT DELETED! Luckily I was able to download it onto my phone and then hook my phone up via usb and transfer the driver. No idea why that happened but it did, might not be a bad idea to download the Ethernet driver and save it to desktop just in case.

Anywho.

Before flash:

24.5 MHs eth solo @ ~115 watt from GPU-Z

After Flash:

29.2 MHs eth solo @ ~90 watt from GPU-Z.

20% more hash and 22% less power consumption, WIN WIN either way. Going to flash my other gpu tonight and let it run for a day, but prelim tests were rock solid.
legendary
Activity: 1834
Merit: 1080
---- winter*juvia -----
Activity: 7
Merit: 0
Hi, I run 2 cards (https://www.computeruniverse.ru/products/90664266/xfx-radeon-rx-480-gtr-triple-x.asp ) with modified bios and they works with 29 Mh/s!
But it works only with IGPU and I can't see temperature. When I disable IGPU and plug monitor in RX480 card - Windows 10(64) not starting. (MB B85 Annyversary).
Any solutions?

Activity: 588
BitcoreService.com
im using saphire Rx 480 refference, can i mod the bios too ?
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
it's rather easy to resurrect dead rx480 card (by bad bios flash) this way http://www.overclock.net/t/593427/how-to-unbrick-your-bricked-graphics-card-fix-a-failed-bios-flash/230#post_25463481
in case of non-ref card just find the bios chip and follow the steps above
Activity: 84
Merit: 10
ref cards have AMD logo above pci-e connector
Activity: 742

My understanding is that if it's a black, blower style cooler that has no style other than the word RADEON on it, it's reference!

That is what I thought

Second question - what will happen if someone try to flash non-reference card?
Activity: 615
Question - I bought a card which looks like a reference (6 pins power, 1288MHz, design)

Is any way to know is it reference or not?

My understanding is that if it's a black, blower style cooler that has no style other than the word RADEON on it, it's reference!
Activity: 742
Question - I bought a card which looks like a reference (6 pins power, 1288MHz, design)

Is any way to know is it reference or not?
It takes a lot to build but not much to lose
Glad everything is working for basically everyone :p

Thumbs up Sir.. you are great.
Btw if you can make/edit post at the beginning with links to all roms, sys file and the singing file that will be great.
Once again, you are amazing and thank you soooo much
-Max
legendary
Activity: 1453
Merit: 1011
Bitcoin Talks Bullshit Walks
@eliovp

Can you explain to me what in the gpu is needed to mine. Is it the stream processors or the compute units.  Looking at the new card vs say a 390x were looking at 2800+ stream proc vs 480 at 2300+. And it's the same ram if I'm not mistaken.  So they are running the ram and gpu at screaming speeds vs the 390x and also overclocking the chip way higher then I Can with 390x. I'm just wondering how long these cards will last 460-480 with them being oc so high.  I can easily get 32 mhs with 44 compute units or 2816 stream processors with 390x   Now 460 is comparable to 7970 or 280x. 32 compute with 2048 stream and performance is right about same.  So these to me are being pushed to the limit   I'm waiting for a 490x with same amount of compute and streams.
Pages:
Jump to: