Pages:
Author

Topic: Using Cryptocurrency for Dark Web - page 2. (Read 488 times)

Activity: 182
Merit: 10
September 24, 2018, 01:09:53 AM
Well it's obviosly used crypto in any transaction good or for bad because using crypto dont need any information and can easily processes any bad transaction like buying arms or drugs. It can help terorist buys weapons without knowing of the autority. That's why it's hard to a country to legalize crypto.
Activity: 196
Merit: 1
September 23, 2018, 10:14:24 PM
I guess this is the major downside of crypto –it’s potential use for malicious purposes. Shouldn’t this be reason enough to allow the government to have some form of regulation? We have to have laws and policies protecting users, right?

legendary
Activity: 1554
Merit: 1026
★Nitrogensports.eu★
September 23, 2018, 09:56:01 AM
Last night, I saw a movie called Unfriended: Dark Web wherein one of the main characters stole a laptop, which he later found out that it is owned by a member of an anonymous group in a Dark Web. This member sent him bitcoins totaling to $10m to make him do terrible things, dragging his friends into this mess. This got me thinking, I know it is probably possible to use crypto for dark web, but if this is how it is going to be, don't you think that this will make bitcoins and other altcoins dangerous? Can a person really use cryptocurrency for Dark Web?

PS: I am not planning to use cryptocurrency for dark web, I am simply asking if it is indeed possible and its dangers.

Probably possible? Dude, have you been living under a rock? That was the primary use of Bitcoin a few years ago. Mainstream media used to give a big spin to this - Bitcoin was supposed to be the currency of the dark web and supposedly used only for buying drugs. We have come some distance from that, but dark web uses definitely constitute a significant portion of Bitcoin transactions.
Activity: 532
Merit: 17
September 23, 2018, 09:50:26 AM
Last night, I saw a movie called Unfriended: Dark Web wherein one of the main characters stole a laptop, which he later found out that it is owned by a member of an anonymous group in a Dark Web. This member sent him bitcoins totaling to $10m to make him do terrible things, dragging his friends into this mess. This got me thinking, I know it is probably possible to use crypto for dark web, but if this is how it is going to be, don't you think that this will make bitcoins and other altcoins dangerous? Can a person really use cryptocurrency for Dark Web?

PS: I am not planning to use cryptocurrency for dark web, I am simply asking if it is indeed possible and its dangers.

Seems like a great movie. Well, because not many peoples using bitcoin back then, so only some peoples use it in the dark web.
But now, seems like there are many peoples in the surface that using bitcoin, they are traders and investors. So, it is not monopolized by the peoples in the dark web anymore.
Activity: 221
Merit: 5
September 23, 2018, 06:43:38 AM
Bitcoins has generally moved away from a currency that was mostly used on the dark web a few years ago to become a currency people mostly use outside the dark web.
If people want to use crypto currency anonymous they have many other crypto currency to use.
Activity: 21
Merit: 1
September 23, 2018, 04:48:25 AM
Almost all of the "economy b" trading will affect the value of privacy centric coins. Bitcoin is actually quite easy to track some point of kyc and follow that to you even if you coin join and sometimes with more advanced analysis even through the changing of coins in a exchange. Anyone working in the dark web is bound to receive most of their pay in monero or zcash and likely keep it there until they can find cash buyers of crypto then just convert for cash.
Activity: 196
Merit: 4
September 22, 2018, 02:16:28 PM
It is possible, as it was possible to use any other FIAT. If you use Monero, for example, it is much harder to track you down. Cryptocurrencies are just a tool, how you use it is on you.

I see. So that was how those anonymous group found those group of friends in the movie, because they sent bitcoins to the thief instead of monero. Although, can a bitcoin sender track the person they are sending the bitcoins to using dark web, or is it the other way around?
Activity: 630
Merit: 102
September 22, 2018, 02:27:02 AM
I want to ask a question, before the invention of bitcoin what were the users of dark web using as a mode of payment? It's like we want to blame Bitcoin for anything negative.
legendary
Activity: 2184
Merit: 1069
September 22, 2018, 02:20:11 AM
Darkweb can be the worst part and it's pulls down bitcoin one side because of its usage.

So still we need be safer in white web to access the wallet or keep the fund safer in your wallet. Mostly darkweb users looking to get the payment for scams and hacks they were doing.

Since they want to be safer without accessing their location this is the best way for them.

Thats what i hate in crypto since the vulnerability of this currency to be used in illegal activities maybe this is one factor thats why we are until now being denied by many countries and with this were always having difficulties.

More issues regarding this has been tackled around but the answers are very few

When i first came here in crypto community i am amazed on what this can give to all the members ,but as time passes by theres this problem that must be solved or else we will be staying in dark position of being accepted worldwide

Any money or currency can be used and will be used in illegal activities. Do not single out bitcoin or crypto. Crypto is not being accepted in some countries because it is decentralized and governments cannot control it. Government wants control and they cannot do it with crypto.

It is natural that bitcoin is not yet accepted worldwide. It is still in its very early stage. But bitcoin has moved from mainly used in the dark web (silk road) to being used in normal purchases. That is already a great leap.
Activity: 98
Merit: 2
September 22, 2018, 02:20:11 AM

It is and that is why all the governments are so afraid of the usage of bitcoins, ignoring the fact that bitcoin itself is a very beautiful technology. And there should be a way to regulate the criminals somehow.
Activity: 784
Merit: 314
September 22, 2018, 02:12:57 AM
It depends on each individual, many things are not just from cryptocurrency that can be used for crime, even if it could happen. Back to each individual how to use cryptocurrency correctly.

But it is indeed not to blame because in cryptocurrency there is no data from the owner of the transaction which makes it vulnerable to manipulation for criminal acts.
legendary
Activity: 3654
Merit: 1217
September 22, 2018, 01:56:39 AM

There are hundreds of dark markets out there and almost all of them accept crypto in exchange for services or commodities. The danger is always there. The authorities can track you and then prosecute you and in some cases the drug peddlers can get your residential address and use it for extortion.
legendary
Activity: 1932
Merit: 1273
September 22, 2018, 01:17:01 AM
Any currency can be used for illegal purpose. But untraceable cryptocurrencies suit the best with the nature of the dark web. A people with a sane mind wouldn't be having a transaction that can be linked to their identity in the dark web. So cryptocurrencies are in favor regarding the dark web communities.
Activity: 826
Merit: 265
September 22, 2018, 12:17:38 AM
Darkweb can be the worst part and it's pulls down bitcoin one side because of its usage.

So still we need be safer in white web to access the wallet or keep the fund safer in your wallet. Mostly darkweb users looking to get the payment for scams and hacks they were doing.

Since they want to be safer without accessing their location this is the best way for them.

Thats what i hate in crypto since the vulnerability of this currency to be used in illegal activities maybe this is one factor thats why we are until now being denied by many countries and with this were always having difficulties.

More issues regarding this has been tackled around but the answers are very few

When i first came here in crypto community i am amazed on what this can give to all the members ,but as time passes by theres this problem that must be solved or else we will be staying in dark position of being accepted worldwide
Activity: 1624
Merit: 163
September 22, 2018, 12:10:49 AM
Bitcoin has been first use in the Dark Web. It's actually the reason why Bitcoin got so popular and got use as an anonymous way of transacting money. Yes, it's really a problem because it would create some bad side for cryptocurrency. But still, it helps cryptocurrency grow in a way.
Activity: 630
Merit: 20
September 22, 2018, 12:00:36 AM
That movie is an eye opener.
Bitcoin can actually used as a payments in some prohibited websites such as dark web. It is really possibly happening right now. Thus making bitcoins such a dangerous thing but transactions cannot be traced. I am gonna watch that movie you have mentioned later.
plr
Activity: 1148
Merit: 24
September 21, 2018, 09:21:09 PM

There's danger on it, because the dark web has full anonymity so better study or arm yourself with knowledge on how to deal with it before threading on that path, I think this is one of the negative part of decentralization and dark web, two combinations that has a huge impact in the industry.
Activity: 616
Merit: 12
Send&Receive Money Instantly, w/ no hidden costs
September 21, 2018, 07:44:37 PM

In my opinion, the main payment instrument used in the dark web is crypto. This is due to anonymity. So there, they don't need to know each other. And identity is a very expensive price.
legendary
Activity: 2576
Merit: 1655
September 21, 2018, 05:57:03 PM
This got me thinking, I know it is probably possible to use crypto for dark web, but if this is how it is going to be, don't you think that this will make bitcoins and other altcoins dangerous? Can a person really use cryptocurrency for Dark Web?

Bitcoin has been used in dark web, just go and search about the Silk Road history and its imminent collapse and you will understand how they take advantage of crypto, but if anyone argues that bitcoin is bad then think again, fiat has been worst. Prior to bitcoin, its been the widely choice of criminals and terrorist to finance themselves. You may want to read Silk road and Bitcointalk. How it played a role in its rise and fall.
Activity: 784
Merit: 101
The World's 1st Waste to Green Energy DLT Project
September 21, 2018, 05:55:19 PM
I think, anyone can use bitcoin for many things. Including for something bad, if for something bad. Not that bitcoin is bad, it all depends on us, for what we use bitcoin  Grin
Pages:
Jump to: