Pages:
Author

Topic: Vanitygen: Vanity bitcoin address generator/miner [v0.22] - page 24. (Read 1152908 times)

Activity: 661
Merit: 258
How can i change the random number generation in the code , i want to move step by step +1 from a certain base point not +random number , is it something easy to do?!
May I ask why you'd want this? You're basically taking out the randomness, making it less secure.
I do the opposite: add an extra random-file, just in case the standard random isn't random enough.
Code:
-s     Seed random number generator from
I need this to make a secure check on an address i already own not to generate a new one , i am trying to connect all my addresses with one private key so that i can remember one key and open all my addresses in a certain sequance i have made Smiley, if you don't understand what i am saying then just forward me to something like i said , and you will do me a favour thanks.
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021
...The more times you try, the more likely it becomes to roll a 6.
Dice have no memory. The chance to roll a 6 is the same at every throw. So it is NOT more likely to throw a 6 the more times you try.
I think you misunderstood me:
Code:
1 try: 16.67% chance
2 tries: 30.56% chance
3 tries: 42.13% chance
4 tries: 51.77% chance
5 tries: 59.81% chance
6 tries: 66.51% chance
7 tries: 72.09% chance
8 tries: 76.74% chance
9 tries: 80.62% chance
10 tries: 83.85% chance
11 tries: 86.54% chance
12 tries: 88.78% chance
13 tries: 90.65% chance
14 tries: 92.21% chance
15 tries: 93.51% chance
16 tries: 94.59% chance
17 tries: 95.49% chance
18 tries: 96.24% chance
19 tries: 96.87% chance
20 tries: 97.39% chance
21 tries: 97.83% chance
22 tries: 98.19% chance
23 tries: 98.49% chance
24 tries: 98.74% chance
25 tries: 98.95% chance
26 tries: 99.13% chance
27 tries: 99.27% chance
28 tries: 99.39% chance
29 tries: 99.49% chance
30 tries: 99.58% chance
31 tries: 99.65% chance
32 tries: 99.71% chance
33 tries: 99.76% chance
34 tries: 99.80% chance
AGD
legendary
Activity: 2070
Merit: 1164
Keeper of the Private Key
...The more times you try, the more likely it becomes to roll a 6.

Dice have no memory. The chance to roll a 6 is the same at every throw. So it is NOT more likely to throw a 6 the more times you try.
legendary
How can i change the random number generation in the code , i want to move step by step +1 from a certain base point not +random number , is it something easy to do?!
May I ask why you'd want this? You're basically taking out the randomness, making it less secure.
I do the opposite: add an extra random-file, just in case the standard random isn't random enough.
Code:
-s     Seed random number generator from

1) Why there is no difference? If you start every hour from some random seed, there is probability that you could start from the same wrong seed which you already checked earlier.
Vanitygen uses a different random each time you start it. Chances of using the same seed are small enough to neglect.

2) Why there is no "maximum"? What is "difficulty" mean then?
Imagine throwing a dice: you want to roll a 6. With 6 possible outcomes, I'd say the difficulty is 6. The more times you try, the more likely it becomes to roll a 6.
But, there is no "maximum" number of tries after you're 100% sure you've hit a 6.
Vanitygen has the same probability as this analogy.

So, my statement is:
Maximum Time for prefix finding (with guaranteed result) = Difficulty / Speed
For example, with speed 1000000 keys/second I'll find prefix with 264104224 difficulty with 100% probability for maximum of 264104224/1000000=264 seconds
You're wrong here. Suppose you're really unlucky, and rolled your dice 263 times. The next roll still has a 1 in 6 chance of being a six, there is no guarantee.
Activity: 4
Merit: 0
There is no difference. There's also no "maximum" of 60 days, there's only the probability (say 50% chance to find it in 60 days).
By making a list with prefixes you may find more cool addresses in the same amount of time.
Thank you for your answer, but I still have questions:
1) Why there is no difference? If you start every hour from some random seed, there is probability that you could start from the same wrong seed which you already checked earlier.
2) Why there is no "maximum"? What is "difficulty" mean then? I thought that "difficulty" is all possibly variants, and if I check every one of them I would find my prefix with 100% probability. And difference is only how soon I would find it - with very bad luck my prefix could be just last.
So, my statement is:
Maximum Time for prefix finding (with guaranteed result) = Difficulty / Speed
For example, with speed 1000000 keys/second I'll find prefix with 264104224 difficulty with 100% probability for maximum of 264104224/1000000=264 seconds
3) Thank you for wise advice, but I only need 1 exact prefix :(
legendary
Activity: 1915
Merit: 2074

you could probably change the source code to do this, but realistically you would probably never find a match this way as you would systematically be hitting non matches forever instead of random checking for a match..

I think that there is no difference, same odds.

There are software that work "step by step +1" but are not "vanitygen". Search for "brainflayer". The "+1" method is the faster way to generate public keys (and then addresses).
legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006

you could probably change the source code to do this, but realistically you would probably never find a match this way as you would systematically be hitting non matches forever instead of random checking for a match..

Activity: 661
Merit: 258
legendary
Could someone tell me if there is mathematic difference between next two actions:
1) I run continuously without stopping oclvanitygen until it find my prefix (max 60 days, if I totally unlucky)
2) I run oclvanitygen for 1 hour, then kill process and start again - in cycle same 60 days.
There is no difference. There's also no "maximum" of 60 days, there's only the probability (say 50% chance to find it in 60 days).
For long searches like that, I use these options:
Code:
-i -k
This gives you at least some output (case insensitive) once in a while.

If you're running searches for months, you may want to make a longer list of words to search for. By making a list with prefixes you may find more cool addresses in the same amount of time.
Activity: 4
Merit: 0
Hi all!

I am trying to find rather long prefix (more than 8 symbols). I calculated estimated time as about 2 month with 8x1080.

But there is problem: oclvanitygen hangs after some working time (on Linux or Windows host). I had to write script which kills hanged process and restarts it.

So, there is no continuous running of oclvanytigen, and I am not sure that now I will find my prefix during expected 2 month.

Could someone tell me if there is mathematic difference between next two actions:
1) I run continuously without stopping oclvanitygen until it find my prefix (max 60 days, if I totally unlucky)
2) I run oclvanitygen for 1 hour, then kill process and start again - in cycle same 60 days.

Thank you!
legendary
Can i ask only about one thing - is it safe or not? I mean do the private key is safe and only i can see it or...?
Vanitygen is as safe as your own computer is. If your computer is compromised, so is your key.
To go full paranoid, you can generate a random Bitcoin address offline, from a Linux LIVE CD, and use split key to generate a vanity address. Full instructions:
Step 1: Goto https://www.bitaddress.org/ move your mouse/type in the field until it shows 100% and wait a second.
Step 1.5: Download the page, verify the download and run it locally*.
Step 2: Click Vanity Wallet click the Generate button next to Generate your "Step1 Key Pair"
Step 3: Save the private key somewhere safe. You will need it later when I generated your partial private key.
Step 4: Once you create your partial private key on your online computer, go back to bitaddress.org and click on Vanity Wallet.
Step 5: Go to step 2 Calculate your vanity wallet. In the first field put the private key you saved and in the second field put the partial private key I gave you. Click Add and Calculate Vanity Wallet
Step 6: Copy the Vanity Private Key (WIF) and import it into your preferred wallet.
Credits to shorena for most of these instructions!
If something doesn't work as expected, have a look at this example.
(my own quote slightly edited to fit this post)
Activity: 751
Merit: 251
WOW! 169 pages of technical details.. Sorry guys but i'm not much familiar with so deep technical things, but i know enough to generate address with vanity.

Can i ask only about one thing - is it safe or not? I mean do the private key is safe and only i can see it or...?
legendary
Activity: 1915
Merit: 2074
A couple of question about https://vanitypool.appspot.com/

1) How can I know if I have to use compressed or uncompressed keys for the search? For example, in this case:

https://vanitypool.appspot.com/availableWork   -->  11111111

can I use only compressed keys?

2) split -key generator feature: if I made a my own program that computes not only P + k*G (where P is the public key provided to start from) but  -(P + k*G) too, can I claim the reward?

If 's' is the secret private key of P (P=s*G), then the new private key would be :  -(s*G + k*G) =>  -(s+k) = n - (s+k)

where

n = 0xFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFEBAAEDCE6AF48A03BBFD25E8CD0364141

is the group order of the curve.
AGD
legendary
Activity: 2070
Merit: 1164
Keeper of the Private Key
CPU load looks pretty high. If it works on 100% most of the time I would expect failures and system shutdown due to high CPU temperature.
Activity: 255
Merit: 27
legendary
im guessing the answer is yes, but can i generate a bitcoin address and use it for bcc?
If by BCC you mean Bitcoin Cash, then yes, you can.
All vanity addresses with a balance at Fork time now also hold Bitcoin Cash.
legendary
Activity: 1736
Merit: 1006
im guessing the answer is yes, but can i generate a bitcoin address and use it for bcc?
legendary
Activity: 3808
Merit: 7912
funny thing is, oclvanitygen.exe dont have -P for public key :s

It might not show up in an options list but it still works.  I've used it many times.
copper member
Activity: 117
Merit: 17
funny thing is, oclvanitygen.exe dont have -P for public key :s
Activity: 117
Merit: 32
yes i still run vanitygen as oclVanitygen from the same folder in which i did the extraction after downloading. In this folder are these 2 files
cacert.pem
calc_addrs.cl
For the file cal_addrs.cl I edited and saved from the link provided above
Here I just update driver and OpenCl library from this link
https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/opencl-drivers
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/intel-driver-support-assistant.html
The intel drivers also support Nvidia cards unless specific extansions are in the code which is not my case.
However nothing changes I exactly the same messages
For the line of reddit actually I knew it already I had helped but without success also.

Code:
Microsoft Windows [version 6.1.7601]
Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. Tous droits réservés.

C:\Users\loulou>"C:\Users\loulou\Desktop\adress et key prives BTC\oclvanitygen.e
xe" -k -o1TEST.txt 1TEST
Difficulty: 264104224
Error loading kernel file 'calc_addrs.cl': No such file or directory
Available OpenCL platforms:
0: [NVIDIA Corporation] NVIDIA CUDA
  0: [NVIDIA Corporation] GeForce GT 520M

C:\Users\loulou>"C:\Users\loulou\Desktop\adress et key prives BTC\oclvanitygen.e
xe" -v 1TEST
Prefix difficulty:            264104224 1TEST
Difficulty: 264104224
Device: GeForce GT 520M
Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation (10de)
Driver: 385.69
Profile: FULL_PROFILE
Version: OpenCL 1.1 CUDA
Max compute units: 1
Max workgroup size: 1024
Global memory: 1073741824
Max allocation: 268435456