Pages:
Author

Topic: Vanitygen: Vanity bitcoin address generator/miner [v0.22] - page 57. (Read 1153383 times)

Activity: 430
Merit: 253
VeganAcademy
once, a priv key is shown though, its possible to import it anywhere. even if you have imported it to an encrypted wallet previously.

Activity: 1036
Merit: 504
Becoming legend, but I took merit to the knee :(
Is there a way to lock/password protect the vanity generated priv key?

After you import it into a wallet like electum, you can set up the relevant BIP38 pass phrase or simple password from there
legendary
Activity: 3808
Merit: 7912

You can use the -e option and be prompted for a password before generation.
Alternatively you can use the -E option and specify the password pre-generation (probably not a good idea for security reasons)

edit: If you don't have keyconv you wont be able to decrypt the encrypted private key.  Get it here and put it in your vanitygen folder.
  Usage: keyconv encrypted_private_key
  You'll be prompted for the password.

Activity: 630
Merit: 500
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008
/dev/null
More info. I added some RAM to the system and it kept going for almost 2 days before crashing.
I'm thinking something in one of the windows updates is causing some kind of memory leak in the program or the driver, but that is a guess at best.

I'll throw in another 4GB stick later in the week and try again.

-Dave

The computer doesn't need more Ram (all the work is being done on the GPU).  Have you updated your GPU's drivers?

OgNasty made a patch, search this thread for "LifeBoat"
That's the one I'm using.
I know system RAM should not matter, but @ 2 GB it will never make more then 18 hours. With 4 it makes it more then double that.

Latest NVIDIA drivers are installed.

-Dave

It's definitely something with system RAM
2 GB = 18 hrs before crash
4 GB = Almost 2 days before crash
8 GB = Over 3 1/2 days and still going....

However, I noticed that according to task manager it's not using that much memory. Very odd.

Also, dose anyone know the reason why it's using 50% CPU when all I have it doing is mining the the graphics card?

-Dave
you only need more RAM if your on winblows. their mapping SysRAM with GPURAM.
legendary
Activity: 1792
Merit: 1008
/dev/null

However, I noticed that according to task manager it's not using that much memory. Very odd.
Does anything change if you increase swap-size? Memory leaks may be swapped away.
Alternative: take 2 GB ram and run oclvanitygen a few hours, then restart it. Repeat that and see if it crashes again.

Also, dose anyone know the reason why it's using 50% CPU when all I have it doing is mining the the graphics card?
Here it uses full CPU while mining on Nvidia. I assume it needs CPU to deal with the keys it finds or something. So the videocard just produces millions of keys per second, the CPU checks if they are the right keys. But I'm just guessing here Smiley

Edit: after reading shorena (see below) I am curious now what the CPU is doing Smiley
your guessing wrong Wink
copper member
Activity: 1498
Merit: 1528
No I dont escrow anymore.
-snip-
Here it uses full CPU while mining on Nvidia. I assume it needs CPU to deal with the keys it finds or something. So the videocard just produces millions of keys per second, the CPU checks if they are the right keys. But I'm just guessing here Smiley

The GPU can check as well. See the comment here[1].

[1] https://github.com/samr7/vanitygen/blob/master/oclengine.c#L1424
legendary
Activity: 3290
Merit: 16489
Thick-Skinned Gang Leader and Golden Feather 2021

Does anything change if you increase swap-size? Memory leaks may be swapped away.
Alternative: take 2 GB ram and run oclvanitygen a few hours, then restart it. Repeat that and see if it crashes again.

Edit: after reading shorena (see below) I am curious now what the CPU is doing Smiley
Activity: 129
Merit: 100
The Boy Who Shattered Time
I forgot to copy the private key.
To prevent this in future you can use the following code :

Code:
vanitygen64.exe -o file.txt 1Addy

This would save your generated address and private key into "file.txt" in the same folder where vanitygen is.
Thank you sir for helping me. Smiley
legendary
Activity: 3500
Merit: 6320
Crypto Swap Exchange
More info. I added some RAM to the system and it kept going for almost 2 days before crashing.
I'm thinking something in one of the windows updates is causing some kind of memory leak in the program or the driver, but that is a guess at best.

-Dave

The computer doesn't need more Ram (all the work is being done on the GPU).  Have you updated your GPU's drivers?

I know system RAM should not matter, but @ 2 GB it will never make more then 18 hours. With 4 it makes it more then double that.

-Dave

-Dave
Activity: 1162
Merit: 547
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
To prevent this in future you can use the following code :

Code:
vanitygen64.exe -o file.txt 1Addy

This would save your generated address and private key into "file.txt" in the same folder where vanitygen is.
legendary
Activity: 1120
Merit: 1002
man : already answered one post above: NO you cant.
legendary
How can I login my generated Address?
You can use your generated address by using the Private key generated by vanity gen. Open a wallet like electrum or bitcoin core, enter your Private key into it and your address would get imported ! Now you can use this wallet to send and receive bitcoins to this vanity address.
  that's not the asked question.

what do you mean by "login" ?  you mean watching or loading .. ?   Roll Eyes
I forgot my private key Sad can I generate again?
no. really impossible to get a coliision ( soooo improbable)
Activity: 1162
Merit: 547
CryptoTalk.Org - Get Paid for every Post!
You can use your generated address by using the Private key generated by vanity gen. Open a wallet like electrum or bitcoin core, enter your Private key into it and your address would get imported ! Now you can use this wallet to send and receive bitcoins to this vanity address.

You cannot generate the exact same address but can generate another address starting with the same letters.
Eg : If you forgot 1Example........ then you can use vanitygen to generate similar address staring with 1Example.....

If you had some bitcoins in that address then it could not be retrieved.
what do you mean by "login" ?  you mean watching or loading .. ?   Roll Eyes
legendary
what do you mean by "login" ?  you mean watching or loading .. ?   Roll Eyes
legendary
Activity: 3500
Merit: 6320
Crypto Swap Exchange

-Dave

-Dave
legendary
Activity: 3696
Merit: 2219
💲🏎️💨🚓

-Dave

Pages:
Jump to: