Pages:
Author

Topic: Vertcoin - 1 | ASIC - 0 | Lyra2RE | Decentralised | GPU Mineable | Open Source - page 58. (Read 415431 times)

legendary
Activity: 3486
Merit: 1126

How could we live without some mind-opening posts like this one and without resurrecting a one year old post like that :-D

he's running low on troll content so scrounging for monero credits.

just ignore that one.
legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 1094
Black Belt Developer
what a terrible !!!
280X doing 480kh/s on Neoscrypt!!!!!
i will research

he rewrote special kernel himself and not for public Grin

information like this can cause coin value to plummet at the very least temporarily, no one wants to mine biased coin by localized (hidden) advantage in the mining software by few (or worse by one)

(above is not in the regards to VERT) many seek to find an advantage some kind of pattern, but even if they find an advantage they are shooting themselves in the foot as any sudden spike in the hash rate will cause a concern and worry, best is to achieve equilibrium from low to high to very high difficulty

hence call to any looking at lyra2 on a deep level or even as trivial as GPU settings for maximum performance  or mining pools discovering ways to smooth out their operations all findings should be shared in public

I have example of at least 3 top coins in the 50 top market cap that suffered very negative consequences by not following above suggestion

Except there is no algo that doesn't have non-public advantages, so...
@Wolf0, your attitude is not cool.

This is not working to cure cancer, this is making money; it is business. Sharing an advantage simply causes the public to destroy any possibility of profit until only those paying 5 cents per kWh or less can make anything, and them only pennies.
@Wolf0..and that is why the world is fucked, because of selfish and greedy people like you. I am glad that your corrupt nature is the exception, rather than the rule in this community.

How dare Wolf0 not pay tribute to Captain Volyova of the Free Shit Army (and thereby save humanity from evil)?   Roll Eyes

I was going to buy some Vertcoins, but won't now because volyova has made it clear the community is toxic and over-entitled.

How could we live without some mind-opening posts like this one and without resurrecting a one year old post like that :-D
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1072
Crypto is the separation of Power and State.
what a terrible !!!
280X doing 480kh/s on Neoscrypt!!!!!
i will research

he rewrote special kernel himself and not for public Grin

information like this can cause coin value to plummet at the very least temporarily, no one wants to mine biased coin by localized (hidden) advantage in the mining software by few (or worse by one)

(above is not in the regards to VERT) many seek to find an advantage some kind of pattern, but even if they find an advantage they are shooting themselves in the foot as any sudden spike in the hash rate will cause a concern and worry, best is to achieve equilibrium from low to high to very high difficulty

hence call to any looking at lyra2 on a deep level or even as trivial as GPU settings for maximum performance  or mining pools discovering ways to smooth out their operations all findings should be shared in public

I have example of at least 3 top coins in the 50 top market cap that suffered very negative consequences by not following above suggestion

Except there is no algo that doesn't have non-public advantages, so...
@Wolf0, your attitude is not cool.

This is not working to cure cancer, this is making money; it is business. Sharing an advantage simply causes the public to destroy any possibility of profit until only those paying 5 cents per kWh or less can make anything, and them only pennies.
@Wolf0..and that is why the world is fucked, because of selfish and greedy people like you. I am glad that your corrupt nature is the exception, rather than the rule in this community.

How dare Wolf0 not pay tribute to Captain Volyova of the Free Shit Army (and thereby save humanity from evil)?   Roll Eyes

I was going to buy some Vertcoins, but won't now because volyova has made it clear the community is toxic and over-entitled.
legendary
Activity: 1590
Merit: 1002
what do i have to do to get this wallet to work here i have the qt running but it says no block source and yes downloaded newest wallet just dont know what i need to compile/make it work....any help would be great using windows...thanks in advance Grin

You might need to put some addnode lines in a .conf file.

If it doesn't exist already create a vertcoin.conf file and place it in C:\Users\yourName\AppData\Roaming\Vertcoin directory.  Replace yourName with your computer's windows account name. Write the following line into your .conf file and save the file.

addnode=87.236.196.77

If that doesn't work read through the pages of this thread starting from this one backwards until you find posts with lines of code like

addnode=

Copy the code into the file with a .conf extension in your vertcoin wallet folder until your wallet starts to sync.

feck - seriously?

Haven't dug my wallet out for a while but won't till it gets fixed properly by the devs
legendary
Activity: 1590
Merit: 1002
New Vertcoin price ticker for Chrome if anyone is interested.
It displays the price of VTC-BTC for Poloniex, Bittrex, Cryptsy, and Bter.

Link to Chrome Store

It would be like a bad dream wouldn't it?
legendary
Activity: 1988
Merit: 1000
Activity: 1
Merit: 0
New Vertcoin price ticker for Chrome if anyone is interested.
It displays the price of VTC-BTC for Poloniex, Bittrex, Cryptsy, and Bter.

Link to Chrome Store
Activity: 240
Merit: 250
ive looked through about 20 pages and the op and nothing working out for me can anyone post there config file for me ..got a lot of vert i want outta cryptsy ..
Activity: 3
what do i have to do to get this wallet to work here i have the qt running but it says no block source and yes downloaded newest wallet just dont know what i need to compile/make it work....any help would be great using windows...thanks in advance Grin

You might need to put some addnode lines in a .conf file.

If it doesn't exist already create a vertcoin.conf file and place it in C:\Users\yourName\AppData\Roaming\Vertcoin directory.  Replace yourName with your computer's windows account name. Write the following line into your .conf file and save the file.

addnode=87.236.196.77

If that doesn't work read through the pages of this thread starting from this one backwards until you find posts with lines of code like

addnode=

Copy the code into the file with a .conf extension in your vertcoin wallet folder until your wallet starts to sync.
Activity: 240
legendary
Activity: 2716
Merit: 1094
Black Belt Developer

Guys, what was elasticity in the first place? I tried to find a whitepaper or a statement or something about it, but never managed to get on it. Plus why aren't the devs posting anything about the course of their developement?

I don't think the devs are doing too much these days and it suits me quite fine. In my opinion the coin is well built and strong as is. We have all the features we need in a truly ASIC/botnet/exploit resistant coin here, no pre-mine, and a fair start with a great well distributed release. Its GPU friendly which is where Bitcoin and later Litecoin got their start and solid user base.

When a CPU botnet came online a few months ago the user base discovered it quickly and we did a hard fork to squash it cold. This all happened in the course of a month or two. That is the devs coming through strong where it counts, and that is what matters to me personally. Also, the fact that someone took the time to make such a powerful botnet shows that there is a true interest in this coin.

As far as I am concerned the coin is perfect as it stands for now. No more development is needed. All we need is to watch out for exploits and crush them out of the hashing algo. I don't see many more coming up, ever. I think the lack of "development" is overblown. If true development is needed, people in this community will step up quick.

true.
but the "as little development as possible" coin is bitcoin.
the altcoins are supposed to innovate, otherwise there is no reason for them to exist.
that's my opinion ;-)
Activity: 338
Merit: 251

Guys, what was elasticity in the first place? I tried to find a whitepaper or a statement or something about it, but never managed to get on it. Plus why aren't the devs posting anything about the course of their developement?

I don't think the devs are doing too much these days and it suits me quite fine. In my opinion the coin is well built and strong as is. We have all the features we need in a truly ASIC/botnet/exploit resistant coin here, no pre-mine, and a fair start with a great well distributed release. Its GPU friendly which is where Bitcoin and later Litecoin got their start and solid user base.

When a CPU botnet came online a few months ago the user base discovered it quickly and we did a hard fork to squash it cold. This all happened in the course of a month or two. That is the devs coming through strong where it counts, and that is what matters to me personally. Also, the fact that someone took the time to make such a powerful botnet shows that there is a true interest in this coin.

As far as I am concerned the coin is perfect as it stands for now. No more development is needed. All we need is to watch out for exploits and crush them out of the hashing algo. I don't see many more coming up, ever. I think the lack of "development" is overblown. If true development is needed, people in this community will step up quick.

legendary
Activity: 1164
Einsteinium Foundation Board Member and Treasurer

Besides, it looks like coding for this feature has come to a stop. I say we should let it die. The coin is strong as is. If we keep bringing this up and never follow through on it, it makes the dev team look really weak and the coin seem unfinished.

Let us never speak of elasticity again... Tongue

https://vertcoin.org/wp/ann-vertcoin-elasticity/
Activity: 14
legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116

Besides, it looks like coding for this feature has come to a stop. I say we should let it die. The coin is strong as is. If we keep bringing this up and never follow through on it, it makes the dev team look really weak and the coin seem unfinished.

Let us never speak of elasticity again... Tongue
legendary
Activity: 3486
Merit: 1126
Hi,

We'ved added VTC to the miners multipool: www.zpool.ca

Cheers!
Activity: 338
Merit: 251
@jamesl22 Hello!

What's the status of Elasticity project?

Best regards

I never really liked the idea of "Elasticity". It would be too easy for whales to manipulate the market. And what exchange would you use to dictate what the "price of the coin" is. You would have to put it in the code, and what if that/those exchanges got shut down or stopped working with that code...

I don't feel like getting into it now because it involves somewhat complex economics but I say the way a coin is distributed should never change once launched. Hashing algo is another thing altogether, and I'm proud of how the Devs did a good job of squashing that botnet in good time.

I tend to agree that I don't like the idea of elasticity or changing coin emission in general after launch, but, from what I understand, the change in coin emission wouldn't be related to the price, but more to the network, I think. So, if hash rate was increasing rapidly, then more coins would be emitted and if it was going down then less, I think, or vice versa. I was just under the impression that it would be hashrate dependent not price.

It would be better if it was hashrate dependant and that the emission is lower if the hashrate increase.

Is this not what the diff adjustments built into almost all coins is for. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the difficulty adjustment, as currently configured,  does this already by keeping the coin output stable as the hashrate rises.

This is ideal as far as I'm concerned because it gives a solid timeframe of distribution. Combined with the block halving this gives a gradual and fair distribution method that is predictable and stable. I say don't fix what isn't broke.

legendary
Activity: 1164
Einsteinium Foundation Board Member and Treasurer
@jamesl22 Hello!

Best regards

I never really liked the idea of "Elasticity". It would be too easy for whales to manipulate the market. And what exchange would you use to dictate what the "price of the coin" is. You would have to put it in the code, and what if that/those exchanges got shut down or stopped working with that code...

I don't feel like getting into it now because it involves somewhat complex economics but I say the way a coin is distributed should never change once launched. Hashing algo is another thing altogether, and I'm proud of how the Devs did a good job of squashing that botnet in good time.

I tend to agree that I don't like the idea of elasticity or changing coin emission in general after launch, but, from what I understand, the change in coin emission wouldn't be related to the price, but more to the network, I think. So, if hash rate was increasing rapidly, then more coins would be emitted and if it was going down then less, I think, or vice versa. I was just under the impression that it would be hashrate dependent not price.

It would be better if it was hashrate dependant and that the emission is lower if the hashrate increase.
legendary
Activity: 3136
Merit: 1116
@jamesl22 Hello!

Best regards

Activity: 326
This coin still has an active dev right? Smiley
Pages:
Jump to: