Author

Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion - page 32104. (Read 26472339 times)

Activity: 504
Merit: 500
Gox is going insane. No way this can last without a pullback, bitstamp and cny are remaining stagnant.
Activity: 924
Merit: 1000
The 1btc sell bot is at it again...
Activity: 826
Merit: 508
Google trends image. What exactly is fueling this rally? This tells me it's old money doing the same all over.

maybe there is a service called "baidu trends"?

Zero trade fees in china is fueling this pump/fake-rally.

Zero trade fees are what's called "free market." So I have no idea why you think that would distort the market.
It's pretty easy to fake volume when there are no financial constraints to doing so. Don't you think? A single whale can repeatedly buy and sell his own coins. (That's not to say the market won't roll over him or that this is what is happening)

Sure you can manipulate volume. How will that help in manipulating price?
You don't think manipulating volume can affect price action? Re price manipulation, that would depend on how much of the coins/fiat on the exchange is controlled by the whale. Is it impossible that one could drive up the inter-exchange rate this way? Or would he just be run over by arbitrage? I don't really know, I'm just brainstorming...
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1801
1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ
Activity: 448
Merit: 250
Google trends image. What exactly is fueling this rally? This tells me it's old money doing the same all over.

Zero trade fees are what's called "free market." So I have no idea why you think that would distort the market.
It's pretty easy to fake volume when there are no financial constraints to doing so. Don't you think? A single whale can repeatedly buy and sell his own coins. (That's not to say the market won't roll over him or that this is what is happening)

Sure you can manipulate volume. How will that help in manipulating price? I guess you can pick where, within the spread, the "last" price was. So? The spread isn't hundreds of yuan.
legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1070

I originally thought that Wal's posts were all sarcastic. Now I realize he isn't all that bright.
Activity: 826
Merit: 508

Activity: 448

legendary
Activity: 2156
Merit: 1094
What worries me the most is Gox is leading the pump atm. China and stamp are reluctant to move forward. Since Goxusd is stuck, this is skewed.

China is moving up again but slowly, for now. I posted the chart that shows the trend in the China wall thread.
legendary
Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001
₪``Campaign Manager´´₪
What worries me the most is Gox is leading the pump atm. China and stamp are reluctant to move forward. Since Goxusd is stuck, this is skewed.
Yeah man, it's going up WAYYYY too slow!  It should be going up at least $50/day or else we're gonna stall out.  OMGz
That's not what he is saying...  He isn't talking about the speed of price increase, he is talking about which exchange is leading the price increase.
donator
Activity: 756
-Bitcoin & Ripple-
bitstamp cant break 200, just yet.

once that goes down.. man... 266 all around here we come.
Then 150$ crash here we come !!!
legendary
Activity: 1428
Will the fact that everyone wants cheap coins prevent the price from tanking too far?

Exactly, like everyone waiting for sub 50 coins last time, we might just remain in 3 digit figures post bubble.
Activity: 392

Yeah man, it's going up WAYYYY too slow!  It should be going up at least $50/day or else we're gonna stall out.  OMGz
donator
Activity: 756
-Bitcoin & Ripple-
Will the fact that everyone wants cheap coins prevent the price from tanking too far?

I predict it will crash between 260 and 300$ . But I also predict it will reach 250$ easily. On what are based my predictions ? NOTHING !!
legendary
Activity: 1428

FYI, price is higher on Gox than on btcchina,at least for today's rally. So its not only china's pump.
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1801
1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ
legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1010
he who has the gold makes the rules

At first consideration I can't see how money out of circulation can 'cause speculative boom and bust cycles'.  Are you suggesting fear of hoarders dumping feeds busts?  Surely if these nasty hoarders/long-term-speculators/savers selflessly did something with their coin so that they are in circulation, after the adjustment in price we'd be subject to the same cyclic upward and downward pressures - and we would be forever fearing someone new isn't going to come in and hoard loads (thus exposing us to the same supposed problems).

Can't we just accept it is going to go up and down quite drastically for some time because it is very small and someone with a reasonable amount of money can move the market quite significantly?  That's just the way it is until 'market cap' is much much higher - and in order to get there the value has to rise - and due to human nature it IS NOT going to rise nice and smoothly to provide the ideal adoption-for-transactions circumstances you desire.  It is simply what it is!

it is called a liquidity trap, which in btc's case diminishes the network effect thus lowering tx and overall network value.

anyway i am writing all this down to see if my analysis turns out wrong or right 3 to 6 months out and there is a reversal. if it is wrong then i have to rethink. if it turns out right then i'll feel good about getting it right.

Though not an economist I'm not convinced what you are describing is called a liquidity trap, nor can I see how a limited available amount of bitcoins in circulation diminishes the 'network effect'.  Would you care to elaborate?

i actually have to get back to writing a paper otherwise I would.  Anyway this is all conjecture at this point, I'll know in a few months when the tx and price data is available.
Activity: 784
Merit: 506

At first consideration I can't see how money out of circulation can 'cause speculative boom and bust cycles'.  Are you suggesting fear of hoarders dumping feeds busts?  Surely if these nasty hoarders/long-term-speculators/savers selflessly did something with their coin so that they are in circulation, after the adjustment in price we'd be subject to the same cyclic upward and downward pressures - and we would be forever fearing someone new isn't going to come in and hoard loads (thus exposing us to the same supposed problems).

Can't we just accept it is going to go up and down quite drastically for some time because it is very small and someone with a reasonable amount of money can move the market quite significantly?  That's just the way it is until 'market cap' is much much higher - and in order to get there the value has to rise - and due to human nature it IS NOT going to rise nice and smoothly to provide the ideal adoption-for-transactions circumstances you desire.  It is simply what it is!

it is called a liquidity trap, which in btc's case diminishes the network effect thus lowering tx and overall network value.

anyway i am writing all this down to see if my analysis turns out wrong or right 3 to 6 months out and there is a reversal. if it is wrong then i have to rethink. if it turns out right then i'll feel good about getting it right.

Though not an economist I'm not convinced what you are describing is called a liquidity trap, nor can I see how a limited available amount of bitcoins in circulation diminishes the 'network effect'.  Would you care to elaborate?

Jump to: