Author

Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion - page 32376. (Read 26470039 times)

legendary
Activity: 2097
Merit: 1070
Isn't there a second Bitcoin Foundation meeting today ?

Yes, with congressmen.

That's what I thought, I would expect a statement at some point after the second meeting.
Activity: 238
Merit: 100

Yes, with congressmen.
legendary
Activity: 2097
Merit: 1070
Activity: 784
Merit: 506
Putting aside the possibility this buy was on 'insider knowledge' (it's not that rare to see buying of this nature on this scale) I'm not persuaded by the suggestion this is someone new entering the market (why the dickens would they want to buy at gox prices?).  If it is money that was already on gox likelihood is it is money that came from the sale of bitcoins sometime in the last four months.  I'm guessing I was not alone upon seeing the first drop deciding simply not to buy until I was reasonably confident the downtrend had finished.  I recommenced buying ten days ago.  I certainly wasn't the bravest nor the first but I'm also guessing I'm far from the last.

Remember a huge amount of USD was taken out of bitcoins in late April/May, some of it for good but much more I suspect on the wait-and-see principle.  Now it's looking less likely by the day that something disastrous is going to happen to the currency itself (a gox collapse excepted) so deciding just to go for it one night/morning (depending where these few buyers are) doesn't seem so unreasonable a behaviour.

Granted if they wanted to get the most bitcoins for their money they could have spent some time watching the walls and trading as many here do but not everybody has the time nor the interest to be playing that game.  On the bigger scale of things if they got out at a fair price to protect their assets with view to getting back in after the downtrend and are expecting this thing to resume exponential growth losing a few percentage points on slippage getting back in is not a big deal.

Of course I could be totally wrong and this may be the 'hammer' as I'm sure someone will be only to happy to remind us...

But this is how my preferred long-term wma weekly is currently looking:

Ok, I found this - looks positive, but it's only really soundbites, not a full report. Still better than nothing!

http://upstart.bizjournals.com/money/loot/2013/08/26/bitcoin-foundation-talks-to-fed-fbi-more.html

Bottom line - “Entrepreneurs who want to get into Bitcoin should dive right in,” said Vessenes, who serves as the organization’s chairman. “Of all the concerns behind starting a company, regulation should be one of the last.”

and -

He described his fellow meeting participants, which also included representatives from the Treasury Department, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, and the IRS as “positive and open, a bunch of reps from different agencies just wanting to learn about Bitcoin." Adding, "Of course they have concerns but that’s to be expected."

I want to marry you.

I wonder what the banks will make of this... I have a feeling that this is not the last we have heard from the government.

Yeah, i'm sure they have to make some sort of statement on this soon, days / weeks.. (probably days).
Right now, I'm treating this with catious optimism. I mean coupled with those buys this morning and in the absence of official statements, it's left to us to (speculate) put 2+2 together ourselves.
Catiously optimistic.

By Vessenes' lack of a negative statement, we can infer that these recent buys weren't just an insider looking to get out of gox, and dump elsewhere before the bad news gets publicized. It would appear that it was a legitimate buy order. Cautious optimism is always a good bet, but i'm sure if there was truly cause for concern (beyond what is already known), Vessenes' would have said something.

That said, there are still hurdles.
Is this going to happen soon?

you taunted him, well done!

Was this the case or did the wall got really eaten?
Activity: 707
Merit: 500
Ok, I found this - looks positive, but it's only really soundbites, not a full report. Still better than nothing!

http://upstart.bizjournals.com/money/loot/2013/08/26/bitcoin-foundation-talks-to-fed-fbi-more.html

Bottom line - “Entrepreneurs who want to get into Bitcoin should dive right in,” said Vessenes, who serves as the organization’s chairman. “Of all the concerns behind starting a company, regulation should be one of the last.”

and -

He described his fellow meeting participants, which also included representatives from the Treasury Department, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, the Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, and the IRS as “positive and open, a bunch of reps from different agencies just wanting to learn about Bitcoin." Adding, "Of course they have concerns but that’s to be expected."

I want to marry you.

I wonder what the banks will make of this... I have a feeling that this is not the last we have heard from the government.

Yeah, i'm sure they have to make some sort of statement on this soon, days / weeks.. (probably days).
Right now, I'm treating this with catious optimism. I mean coupled with those buys this morning and in the absence of official statements, it's left to us to (speculate) put 2+2 together ourselves.
Catiously optimistic.
Activity: 254
Merit: 250
Digital money you say?

and -

I want to marry you.

Digital money you say?
And what would very good news be? US switching from $ to BTC?
Bad news? Can gox be in even bigger trouble?
Maybe just speculation and/or manipulation.

Look, I love bitcoin and I want to make money. But I would rather not start WWIII, I would like to enjoy my life.

and -

I want to marry you.

and -

legendary
Activity: 896
Merit: 1000
I dont understand.. if the news was bad and bitcoin was going to drop... why havent we seen dumping on the exchanges with working USD withdrawals? It has been long enough for that by now.

Activity: 509
Can't upload avatar
And what would very good news be? US switching from $ to BTC?
Bad news? Can gox be in even bigger trouble?
Maybe just speculation and/or manipulation.
Digital money you say?
This suspense is killing me!!!

I wanna know what happened at that meeting.. and i wanna know what's happening with the one later today.

That kind of volume as someone pointed out, can only mean one thing or the other..

A. Taking a big(er) position or
B. Dumping and getting out before the shit hits the fan.

I hate being a small guy and not knowing whats going on. Obviously someone does know which way the wind is blowing and they're keeping schtum.

Frustration!. If anyone finds out any related news, can they please let us know? - thank you,

Well there is an easy way to take advantage of both A & B.

Hold on for the ride A, or B set a reasonable/lowish sell point and gtfo while the getting is good. And even if you still believe in btc after the fall, you will have a bunch of fiat ready to buy back in  Grin
This suspense is killing me!!!

I wanna know what happened at that meeting.. and i wanna know what's happening with the one later today.

That kind of volume as someone pointed out, can only mean one thing or the other..

A. Taking a big(er) position or
B. Dumping and getting out before the shit hits the fan.

I hate being a small guy and not knowing whats going on. Obviously someone does know which way the wind is blowing and they're keeping schtum.

Frustration!. If anyone finds out any related news, can they please let us know? - thank you,
legendary
Activity: 2324
Merit: 1801
1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ
Activity: 204
2 possibilities :
* very good news we don't know about yet and whales are loading up on BTC while it's still "cheap"
* imminent Gox failure and whales are trying to get out
Holy shit dude, what just happened!? This is like the kind of movement we had 5 months ago. I didn't expect to see us make a break for $140/150 until at least December. Does somebody know something I don't? My eyes just about popped out of my head when I looked at my phone just now. I immediately opened my laptop and opened all of my charts and indicators 0_0 ALL HANDS ON DECK!! THERE BE WHALES IN THESE WATERS!!

As a side note, why did he make his purchase like this? Seems like he would lose a lot in slippage. Is this market manipulation?

Yes.

The Bitcoin Foundation met with various US Government agencies today to discuss Bitcoin. We haven't gotten word on how those meetings went, but there are definitely people out there who know things we don't.

Whether those things are good or bad is still up for debate. One would want to lean towards good, but considering the Gox withdrawal issues with USD, this could be people "in the know" getting out of there asap because of incoming bad news.

This week will be interesting. Like it always is. Bitcoin.
Activity: 854
Merit: 1000
when i see at 4 AM these huge buys and a 2m on bid between the price when i went to bed, it hardly makes me think it's organic growth but then again what is the differnece between this and the stock market?
legendary
Activity: 1500
Merit: 1022
I advocate the Zeitgeist Movement & Venus Project.
Government industry collusion is not a transparent process.
Jump to: