Author

Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion - page 33248. (Read 26463835 times)

legendary
Activity: 2097
Merit: 1070
Activity: 533
Merit: 539
Is bitstamp down right now?  Huh
legendary
Activity: 2268
Merit: 1782
1CBuddyxy4FerT3hzMmi1Jz48ESzRw1ZzZ
legendary
Activity: 1554
Merit: 1000
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYzXNhk3Vjw

Amir.
Amir...
Amir!
STOP!
Amir!
Amir!
Amir!
STOP!

Cheesy

OMG, Amir removed his Mohawk... That must be a bearish signal...

Nice guy in the flesh, but why am i on edge, when he is on screen?
legendary
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018
Well, if you are bullish, a wall like that means you don't get much price slippage when you buy.

Many people have given this same slippage explaination over and over again since I joined this forum.

The reason I don't believe it is that I've always found it quite odd that someone would sometimes wait for the price to increase by as much as a dollar or two per Bitcoin until we hit a wall only to then buy it all to avoid slippage  Roll Eyes

My post was to suggest a possible reason for a big chunk of the 1000 BTC ask wall at 123 being eaten. If the wall was further away from the strike price then I think I'd agree with you. IIRC it was just under 123 with very thin asks in between.

IMHO a bullish buyer saw an opportunity to quickly pick up a lot of coins (660) at a fixed price. Wouldn't you prefer to get all your coins at a fixed price and let others lose on slippage as they push the price up?

Note that "quicky" means not having to sit for hours on Gox buying small amounts of coin at a time, or risk pushing the price up by setting a large bid, and finding all the speculators seeing this as a signal to push the price up.

BTW, I don't consider 660BTC that huge amount of coins. You can make a market order for that quantity and the slippage is minimum. If we speak about +1,500BTC... Well, that's another story.
Activity: 57
Merit: 0
Well, if you are bullish, a wall like that means you don't get much price slippage when you buy.

Many people have given this same slippage explaination over and over again since I joined this forum.

The reason I don't believe it is that I've always found it quite odd that someone would sometimes wait for the price to increase by as much as a dollar or two per Bitcoin until we hit a wall only to then buy it all to avoid slippage  Roll Eyes

My post was to suggest a possible reason for a big chunk of the 1000 BTC ask wall at 123 being eaten. If the wall was further away from the strike price then I think I'd agree with you. IIRC it was just under 123 with very thin asks in between.

IMHO a bullish buyer saw an opportunity to quickly pick up a lot of coins (660) at a fixed price. Wouldn't you prefer to get all your coins at a fixed price and let others lose on slippage as they push the price up?

Note that "quicky" means not having to sit for hours on Gox buying small amounts of coin at a time, or risk pushing the price up by setting a large bid, and finding all the speculators seeing this as a signal to push the price up.
legendary
legendary
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

Amir.
Amir...
Amir!
STOP!
Amir!
Amir!
Amir!
STOP!

Cheesy

OMG, Amir removed his Mohawk... That must be a bearish signal...
Activity: 350
Merit: 250
This account was recently hacked
Conspiracy theory # 1337: Mt.Gox is artificially holding the price stable until their new platform is released and can handle the volume associated with the coming rallies/crashes

Speaking of which, anyone know when the platform is supposed to be released?

If that were true, there would have been volume... but there wasn't.

Anyway, looks like the price is finally beginning to wake up.
Of course though conspiracy theories don't automatically become true just because they mention Bitcoins or Moon missions
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
People who are selling now (unless they really need the money) are just weird.
Activity: 238
Merit: 100
RMBTB.com: The secure BTC:CNY exchange. 0% fee!
Conspiracy theory # 1337: Mt.Gox is artificially holding the price stable until their new platform is released and can handle the volume associated with the coming rallies/crashes

Speaking of which, anyone know when the platform is supposed to be released?

If that were true, there would have been volume... but there wasn't.

Anyway, looks like the price is finally beginning to wake up.
Activity: 784
Merit: 506

OK, I'm liking what I'm seeing here this morning.  Even btce bid price is gradually catching up and the balance of volumes between the currencies beginning to look a lot more healthy Smiley
Activity: 784
Merit: 506
Can one 'second' a red card? Wink

"What's the tipping point for this thing to really catch on?"

My answer:  For it to be big enough that the media have a wide enough pool of people who can talk competently enough for them not to be calling on Amir all the time!
Activity: 15
Merit: 0

Amir.
Amir...
Amir!
STOP!
Amir!
Amir!
Amir!
STOP!

Cheesy

his passion is kind of contagious though!
legendary
Activity: 672
Merit: 500
How does this make sense?

Activity: 434
Merit: 250
So... the action is over?  Angry
Jump to: