Author

Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion - page 33679. (Read 26462056 times)

Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
... but a single "market order" dump of 69K coins triggered the crash.

How do you know the crash was caused by someone dumping 69k coins at market? Is this a verifiable fact or speculation on your part?

If speculation, why do you believe someone did this?

I don't understand who in their right mind would do such thing?

I mean it's a very poor way to sell a position so large, right? Since you will get serious slippage?

Of course there is a verifiable fact. Just check the "trade history" on bitcoincharts or similar, or follow the "time & sales" on http://bitcoin.clarkmoody.com/. I was trading when that happened, in fact I was very happy because of the unbelievable buying opportunity until Gox fucked up and halted trading to induce "market cooldown". You can check the forums and you will see I was the first one to post about this "market cooldown" Wink

I had to wake up at 4AM to be ready when Gox reopened, just to see how my big buy order at 35€ was not fulfilled for just a couple of euros (bottom in € was 37€). That really pissed me off, I think I should trade in USD, as it's much easier to spot support and resistance points.

Doubtful, if you have followed this market for long, you will know that at certain price points the buying/selling volume will spike up, probably bots triggered by price movement, the same thing may happened during the crash.
Activity: 294
Merit: 250
This bull will try to shake you off. Hold tight!

Of course there is a verifiable fact. Just check the "trade history" on bitcoincharts or similar, or follow the "time & sales" on http://bitcoin.clarkmoody.com/.

I'm sorry but I can't find this on bitcoincharts or clarkmoody. Could you give me more details how to find this transaction? A link would be greatly appreciated.
legendary
Activity: 1148
Merit: 1018

How do you know the crash was caused by someone dumping 69k coins at market? Is this a verifiable fact or speculation on your part?

I mean it's a very poor way to sell a position so large, right? Since you will get serious slippage?

Of course there is a verifiable fact. Just check the "trade history" on bitcoincharts or similar, or follow the "time & sales" on http://bitcoin.clarkmoody.com/. I was trading when that happened, in fact I was very happy because of the unbelievable buying opportunity until Gox fucked up and halted trading to induce "market cooldown". You can check the forums and you will see I was the first one to post about this "market cooldown" Wink

I had to wake up at 4AM to be ready when Gox reopened, just to see how my big buy order at 35€ was not fulfilled for just a couple of euros (bottom in € was 37€). That really pissed me off, I think I should trade in USD, as it's much easier to spot support and resistance points.
legendary
Activity: 1106
Merit: 1001

You are assuming the seller just wants the best bang for his buck. What if he/she just wants to bring the price down, or shake the market, or inspire panic, or...
Activity: 294
This bull will try to shake you off. Hold tight!

legendary
some dumps are needed for that, it's still about same number of coins needed for 145 and 165

I will say it again: those numbers on the bid and ask size means nothing. Bids and ask walls vanish as soon as the price moves, the book order changes dynamically and means NOTHING. Just check the book order just before the crash, you will see that there was a HUGE buying pressure, but a single "market order" dump of 69K coins triggered the crash.

Making a long story short: if you believe in "how many coins are need for X price" you are doing a BIG mistake and you don't understand how trading works.
legendary
Activity: 1246
Coins needed for 145 went down from 11k-ish to 9.3k now, the support doesn't look that strong but selling pressure doesn't look strong yet either. That could change pretty fast though.
legendary
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1028
Duelbits.com
some dumps are needed for that, it's still about same number of coins needed for 145 and 165
legendary
Activity: 1246
Down to $152, we're slowly sliding down and it seems like we might retest $145 today. If it holds we can expect a new rally upwards.
Activity: 280
Activity: 798

It is not an oxymoron. It is just plain wrong. Deafing silance is an oxymoron.

If only "silance" was a word...

Or "deafing" Smiley
Activity: 435

It is not an oxymoron. It is just plain wrong. Deafing silance is an oxymoron.

If only "silance" was a word...
donator
Activity: 1722
Merit: 1036
Interesting, how strong today sell off will be.

To me, it seems that we will likely not see $140.00 ever again.
Activity: 128
Merit: 100
Interesting, how strong today sell off will be.
Activity: 350
"Don't go in the trollbox, trollbox, trollbox"
The $160 wall got eaten a few hours ago, no one cares, price is idling around $157-$158.
I'm seriously wondering who is buying these days.

With google and paypal looking to get in...

Very small volume. Very tricky moment to buy in (unless you are in it for the long haul, obviously).

Paypal news were great, but the masses only understand one thing: price is going UP UP UP, price broke ATH, etc. When you have those headlines is when everybody jumps on the train.

We had a very recent bubble burst, so I won't be surprised by a mid-term scenario in which prices slowly decline or just stay stable (which in BTC means 50% to 80% swings, big rallyes and subsequent big crashes, but no more parabolic growth)

Buy. Sell at $169. Wait for re-entry around $155.

OR: Buy. Hold.

Either works for me.
The $160 wall got eaten a few hours ago, no one cares, price is idling around $157-$158.

Well I care. Just you know, trying to post wall movement updates!
legendary

With google and paypal looking to get in...

Very small volume. Very tricky moment to buy in (unless you are in it for the long haul, obviously).

Paypal news were great, but the masses only understand one thing: price is going UP UP UP, price broke ATH, etc. When you have those headlines is when everybody jumps on the train.

We had a very recent bubble burst, so I won't be surprised by a mid-term scenario in which prices slowly decline or just stay stable (which in BTC means 50% to 80% swings, big rallyes and subsequent big crashes, but no more parabolic growth)
Activity: 644

If I had to venture a guess, I would say that the people anticipating a price increase would be the ones buying these days.
Activity: 204
Merit: 100
You want walls?

Here's one my grandmother could hop over, even in her eternal slumber.

Jump to: