Author

Topic: Wall Observer BTC/USD - Bitcoin price movement tracking & discussion - page 33714. (Read 26462345 times)

legendary
Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057
Marketing manager - GO MP
On the one hand they claim this is a layer7 attack then they show this prolexic report, which is about layer 3-4. If they have an attack vector for an application layer attack why spend the resources for a expensive network layer attack?
It still smells fishy to me.

If nothing else they are shutting down their service when under attack to prevent "lag"
Which is the only responsible thing to do. A ddos attacked market racking up lag isn't a normal market. Thus the only responsible way to fight back is to turn off the market for the time being till the attack passes. At which point allow people to trade normally once again.

If this really is a layer7 attack it might be able to be sustained indefinitely. And what then?
Activity: 128
Merit: 100
Interface is up for me. bitcoinity see gox and show 8 minutes lag without trading. Again.
Activity: 168
GOX TRADING ENGINE BACK. YEEHAW!

It is still "502 Bad Gateway" to me...
Clear your cache to see wonderful numbers:

Last price:$124.90000
High:$132.00000
Low:$117.86000
Volume:88053 BTC
Weighted Avg:$125.67729
Last Updated: 6 Minutes Ago
Activity: 23
Merit: 0

It is still "502 Bad Gateway" to me...
Something happening at gox? Moody is outputting random stuff.
Activity: 628
Merit: 500
MtGox website: Database access error, please retry later

wtf?!
legendary
Activity: 840
Merit: 1000
On the one hand they claim this is a layer7 attack then they show this prolexic report, which is about layer 3-4. If they have an attack vector for an application layer attack why spend the resources for a expensive network layer attack?

If nothing else they are shutting down their service when under attack to prevent "lag"
Which is the only responsible thing to do. A ddos attacked market racking up lag isn't a normal market. Thus the only responsible way to fight back is to turn off the market for the time being till the attack passes. At which point allow people to trade normally once again.
legendary
On the one hand they claim this is a layer7 attack then they show this prolexic report, which is about layer 3-4.

Well, I doubt they are claiming today is April 11th.

Oh, in that case, pretty solid arguing folks!  Cheesy
legendary

Nah this is totally a shoop. CONSPIRACY!!!

I have an idea! Why doesn't Gox publish the destination IPs on twitter, so we can all point LOIC at it? (disclaimer I'm a complete DDoS newb and i'm sure there's some reason that 'firing back' doesn't work.)

(Forum etiquette - quote pruning pro-tip - prune large images in quoted replies by throwing in a height= width= into the [img] tag, make people's scroll fingers happy Grin)
Because its a Ddos and thus is distributed so there is not one single IP to point it to?
legendary
Activity: 2772
Merit: 1028
Duelbits.com
should we get worried, this looks more serious than ddos
Activity: 448
Merit: 250

Nah this is totally a shoop. CONSPIRACY!!! Prolexic isn't even a real company, Gox just made them up.

(In seriousness: They're learning a thing or two about transparency. They should release this third-party event report (along with a way to verify it via the third party) after each and every single claimed DDoS event.)

I have an idea! Why doesn't Gox publish the source IPs on twitter, so we can all point LOIC at them? (disclaimer I'm a complete DDoS newb and i'm sure there's some reason that 'firing back' doesn't work, so this is probably a stupid idea Wink.)

(Forum etiquette - quote pruning pro-tip - prune large images in quoted replies by throwing in a height= width= into the [img] tag, make people's scroll fingers happy Grin)
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
Thank you elux, really interesting.

Interesting, but that is not today's attack.
Yes, i noticed it.
Today's one is probably bigger, IMO.
legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
Thank you elux, really interesting.
Activity: 784
Merit: 1000
bitcoin hundred-aire
Activity: 280
What kind of sell off do you think they are trying to prevent though? There have been quite a few ~BTC5k sell offs in the past few days that recovered fine

Well according to this the ones significantly above 5k. I don't know any exact figures but if you look at the volume of the flash crash from the top there must have been some serious coin involved.

I guess anything's possible. But considering all the problems in their trading platform, I tend to doubt they have the capability to predict crashes.
legendary
Activity: 1458
Merit: 1006
Activity: 411
Never a dull day at MtGox HQ. The DDoSers must be milking every last chance before the big exchanges at CoinLab and CoinSetter arrive, and before BitStamp gets bigger. Once there is more than one big exchange, DDoS of any one will have much less effect. Meanwhile the entire system grows stronger every time it is attacked, with the attackers being rewarded for their services in strengthening the system, effectively paving the way for further growth.

Without the attacks that have been occurring at a billion-dollar market cap, Bitcoin wouldn't be ready for the kinds of attacks that will come at ten and a hundred billion dollars.

although i'm loosing probably a lot of fiat now with these attacks..   I agree with this totaly..
Activity: 448
Stop whining and use another exchange already.

What other exchanges are there?!

Btce is infested with java exploit links and its based in russia. Could use Bitstamp but they might be overwhelmed and get their bank account shut just as it happened with bitfloor, bitcoin24.

Check out CampBX. Many funding options, even USPS money order by mail. They also seem to be in tune with [albeit vague existing] regulatory requirements so are less like to be randomly shut down than some of these fly-by-night new exchanges.

Low volume right now but I expect as the "new kid on the block" they will swallow up a lot of ex-Goxs and ex-Bitfloors.
Jump to: