Pages:
Author

Topic: Was U.S. Army Sgt. Bowe Bergdahl a Traitor? - page 4. (Read 7792 times)

legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
I'm still convinced we went to war in Afghanistan for precious metals, of course, you'll never get politicians to admit this and the media barely report on it as with anything that's important.

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/jun/18/afghanistan-mineral-deposits

Unlike other people I think religion is just something used as an excuse to rouse the fanatics against a particular group that isn't being co-operative. I don't think it's an actual cause of war, I think resources are the main thing, Afghanistan is also a large supplier of the world's illegal drug market, another way for corrupt officials to make a shit ton of money, think about it, what's better for a criminal organisation than to be backed by the army of the very country you're operating in?

In traditional sense I suppose you could call him a traitor, but the problem is the U.S is far from innocent and they wouldn't have has many soldiers going AWOL or committing suicide if they were doing the right thing like they claim, you have had U.S soldiers taking refuge in Germany as well because they fear going back to the U.S.
Activity: 224
Merit: 100
Professional anarchist
Two of America's most trusted allies (Saudi Arabia and Qatar) are funding and sponsoring various terrorist organizations in every nook and corner of the world. Rather than invading Afghanistan, they should have invaded Saudi Arabia.

Yup. And Al Qaeda was set up by the US. Maybe they should have bombed themselves.

But bombing Afghanistan? Made about as much sense as bombing Luxembourg.
legendary
Activity: 3752
Merit: 1217
maybe the U.S. wants terrorism to exist, so they have an excuse to invade other countries.

Two of America's most trusted allies (Saudi Arabia and Qatar) are funding and sponsoring various terrorist organizations in every nook and corner of the world. Rather than invading Afghanistan, they should have invaded Saudi Arabia.
Activity: 187
Merit: 109
Converting information into power since 1867
anyway, i'm going to go crazy conspiracy here.. maybe the U.S. wants terrorism to exist, so they have an excuse to invade other countries.

I find it both hilarious and terrifying that so many people still think of that as a conspiracy theory.
If the mainstream media told you that objects fall upwards, would you believe gravity is a conspiracy theory?

The CIA armed and trained the Taliban to begin with. This is not a secret, it's just what the US always does.
Professional anarchist
anyway, i'm going to go crazy conspiracy here.. maybe the U.S. wants terrorism to exist, so they have an excuse to invade other countries.

You have to bear in mind that the "War on Terror™" has precisely nothing to do with combating terrorism. The "War on Terror™" is a propaganda framework. Nothing more.
Activity: 434
Merit: 250
It is strange how the only Obama administration trade involves 5 of the most deadly taliban leaders out there for a guy who from what I am gathering deserted his platoon.  Maybe I am watching a little too much Homeland but could this guy be our Sgt. Brody

i was thinking of homeland as well.. kind of interesting how fiction imitates life (or not).

Professional anarchist
The Afghan war should have never been a war. We could have accomplished what we needed to with purely covert ops. Now even more people hate us and our drone diplomacy is just making it worse.  

To this day I have no idea what the war in Afghanistan was fought for. The punishment of Afghans for the second 9/11 was immediate, and brutal, even though the crime had nothing to do with them - most of the hijackers were Saudi, why weren't we bombing the house of Saud again?

I wrote to my MP here in the UK to try and discern what the war was being fought for. I had a response from the Foreign Secretary, and it was abundantly clear that the cabinet had no idea either.
Activity: 223
Nobody I have spoken to has thought this trade was a good idea.
Activity: 406
The Afghan war should have never been a war. We could have accomplished what we needed to with purely covert ops. Now even more people hate us and our drone diplomacy is just making it worse. 

Backlash will be there in any nation, if the foreign troops try to station there for a long time. Afghanistan is no different. The US military presence in Afghanistan should have been a temporary and limited one, rather than stationing the troops there permanently.

I really think we could have accomplished a lot of what we needed to do with air strikes and covert special ops. The backlash also has a tragic habit of following our troops home after the fact.   
legendary

Backlash will be there in any nation, if the foreign troops try to station there for a long time. Afghanistan is no different. The US military presence in Afghanistan should have been a temporary and limited one, rather than stationing the troops there permanently.
Activity: 406
Anyone who doesn't support America's brutal war on Afghans is a traitor. Without this war, the US would not be able to create enough terrorists to warrant the huge sums of money it wants to give to arms manufacturers.

Activity: 350
'Slow and steady wins the race'
Was he a trator? No he was not. He served in the military, at least in a somewhat loyal way.

Was he a hero? No he was not. From what I can tell he left his post at least one time prior to being captured. He also appeared to have left his post a 2nd (or more) time when he was captured. This may or may not have caused his capture, but it certainly increased the chances of him being captured.

Should he serve time in jail (or the military equivalent)? No, he was already held for over 5 years in conditions that are likely worse then what jail would have been. He has served his sentence.

What should we do with this person? We should give him a discharge from the military. The discharge should be neither honorable, nor dishonorable. He should not receive any pay/benefit above what he earned when he was actually serving.

Just my .02 BTC
Professional anarchist
Anyone who doesn't support America's brutal war on Afghans is a traitor. Without this war, the US would not be able to create enough terrorists to warrant the huge sums of money it wants to give to arms manufacturers.

legendary
Activity: 1176
Merit: 1001
minds.com/Wilikon
legendary
It is strange how the only Obama administration trade involves 5 of the most deadly taliban leaders out there for a guy who from what I am gathering deserted his platoon.  Maybe I am watching a little too much Homeland but could this guy be our Sgt. Brody

I have already posted that trading five of these terrorists for just one US soldier was a grave mistake. They should have got at least two dozen American soldiers. But still I believe that it is too early to call Bergdahl a deserter.
Activity: 378
Activity: 448
This soldier has chances of facing prosecution primarily because he was unhappy with the war??? and he could not justify to himself insulting attitude of US soldiers towards ordinary Afghans; means he committed an offense or probably a crime by being humane and sensitive or for not being biased. This is totally insane.
Activity: 187
Merit: 109
Converting information into power since 1867
It seems like the man may have been a little nuts even before he left his base. Nevertheless, he's clearly a hero. Like his parents he was always opposed to American imperialism and supported the struggle of the Afghan people for freedom. The only reason he enlisted to begin with was because he thought he could help the Afghan people that way, and that is also the reason he left the base that night. Unfortunately, it seems the Taliban (who are almost as bad as the Americans) preferred to use him as a bargaining chip rather than let him join the cause. In a sense he really is a traitor to the US, its army and its imperialist program, and for that he should be proud.

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/3162444/replies?c=28

And right here is the problem with American libertarians. On tax day you whine and whine about the oppressive state, but when some good ol' small-town American soldiers get killed, you suddenly shed a patriotic tear and start waving your flag.

A true anarcho-capitalist will not lament the passing of those who volunteer to violently oppress others.
legendary
Apparently this whole thing started to stink before he even left and is going downhill faster than a wagon full of fat kids. I say again: this is only going to get a whole lot worse.

lol... Now the prisoner exchange is over and Bergdahl is about to face the military tribunal over his alleged deserting. Let's at least hope that truth will come out of the trial.  Grin
Activity: 364
Pages:
Jump to: