Pages:
Author

Topic: What coin should I 'mine' with my laptops? - page 5. (Read 1288 times)

Activity: 434
Merit: 2
Coinsbit.io
Powerful laptop for mining? yes it's powerful but it can't sustain the heat that mining will produce through your machine. It's not an advisable idea to mine with your laptop. If you want to mine, invest to another rig and build a machine that's dedicated for mining. Go for GPU mining but if you don't have budget for that, you can sell that laptop and start your own farm with that profit. You are lessening the life of your laptop by mining with any coin with that.
Mining on a laptop? Guys, this is not serious. On a maxim laptop, you can run wallets with a POS. or run masternodes. And then for these purposes it is better to use the rented VPS.
copper member
Activity: 294
Merit: 1
You'll just waste time and energy in mining in laptops and it's not worth it to mine in laptop, try that many times ending up breaking my laptop  Cheesy
Activity: 2520
Merit: 568
Payment Gateway Allows Recurring Payments
Powerful laptop for mining? yes it's powerful but it can't sustain the heat that mining will produce through your machine. It's not an advisable idea to mine with your laptop. If you want to mine, invest to another rig and build a machine that's dedicated for mining. Go for GPU mining but if you don't have budget for that, you can sell that laptop and start your own farm with that profit. You are lessening the life of your laptop by mining with any coin with that.
Activity: 1078
Merit: 310
I won't recommend you to mine with your laptops because it's not worth it at all. You don't need to follow other people to mining. Your laptop will get to heat, and it could be damaged. Even if you still decide to mine coins, I guess that the rewards still not too big and it's a waste of time to spend. But it's all your decision, you could still try, but I cannot suggest what the coin to mining with your laptop.

Laptops don't have an efficient cooling system so that the risks of overheating and frying your units are very high and there is a big possibility that you will incur losses than having gains in using them for mining. Imho.
Activity: 882
Merit: 250
core i3 noutbuk oh my Goodness my noutbuk  is burning hot
+ after 1 week it burned down (I don't play anymore mining

Laptop with good spec still isn't design for mining. That's why PC version still recommended for mining.  Maybe if you use it foe staking will do, since no energy consumption is needed. Dont force the laptop or it will be soon go to trash can.

Technically, you can mine using your laptop. Think about the option of cloud mining: due to the high costs of electricity and great expenses on the equipment these services have already gained great popularity.
Activity: 686
Merit: 12
On the laptop, it is unlikely that something substantial can be mined, unfortunately already too different levels of mining =\
Activity: 924
Merit: 506
You may simply find coin that is asic-resistant. And try to mine such coin at the begining of coin launch. This should be win strategy.

Yes, even i think mining with laptop not a good a idea, if you go with it no matter what, the best way is finding a new coin with asic-resistant.
Activity: 518
Merit: 11
You may simply find coin that is asic-resistant. And try to mine such coin at the begining of coin launch. This should be win strategy.
Activity: 375
Merit: 101
core i3 noutbuk oh my Goodness my noutbuk  is burning hot
+ after 1 week it burned down (I don't play anymore mining
Activity: 1736
Merit: 857

Something both of these coins have all wallets and programs for mining with viruses. Well, sometimes virustotal reacts this way. Judging by the network hashrate, there is nothing to earn with laptops...

How exactly do you decide if mining on a laptop is still worth it for a specific coin? You are checking the total hashrate of the network? What would you say is the treshold on which mining on a laptop with the specs mentioned by the OP doesn't make sense anymore?

Everyone defines it for himself. There are many profit calculators. I tried mining on my two old laptops which are not used either. They are already too weak for mining these coins. One is i5, the other is i3. I'm not going to use a good laptop for mining. From his laptops, it probably makes sense to use i7.
Activity: 924
Merit: 506
I don't think laptops are good for mining. Maybe you earn some money but you may end up losing your laptop.

Still, if you want to mine something, you can try relatively new coins.
Activity: 1274
Merit: 646

Something both of these coins have all wallets and programs for mining with viruses. Well, sometimes virustotal reacts this way. Judging by the network hashrate, there is nothing to earn with laptops...

How exactly do you decide if mining on a laptop is still worth it for a specific coin? You are checking the total hashrate of the network? What would you say is the treshold on which mining on a laptop with the specs mentioned by the OP doesn't make sense anymore?
Activity: 1736
Merit: 857
Try mining either TurtleCoin or Uplexa  Wink I mine both of those coins on laptops & do fairly well

copper member
Activity: 294
Sorry its better not use your laptop in mining it will only be broken and its not worth it to mine in a laptop with only small amount of tokens Smiley
Activity: 2128
Merit: 530
PredX - AI-Powered Prediction Market
It is going to end up being a futile effort mining with your laptop, so many cheap mining gear now that people are using to mining small cap coins so you don't even have advantage there unless you want to stake. Mining is still rewarding now with the drop in prices of most coins but not with laptop
Activity: 493
Merit: 28
My suggestion for you is don't mine with your laptops. Your laptop maybe have i7 core but mining with CPU is worthless.

Does your laptop have VGA in it? If no, then again I suggest don't try to mine with it. Instead of profit you will loss money on it.
Activity: 485
Merit: 12
$WPP $HyFi https://hyfi-corp.com/
Laptops are mainly designed for big workload and usage, especially the business category ones. 
The maintenance of the cooling system is very important and they are too expensive for mining nowadays.
Activity: 574
Merit: 250
With laptot don't think you can mine any coin yet or you can but not so much power to make some profit, i have tried several time and i did give up!
Activity: 3010
Merit: 794
Core i7 and Core i5 are good processors but mining is not wothy even with them, I have tried a gen 4 i7 and it only produced about 15 cent almost one year ago, now I think it should be even less so it is better if you sell those laptops rather than ruin them with mining.
Was actually to say the same advise on where it would be much better if he do sell off those laptops.i7 and i5 processors are still good depending on what generation it is, the newer the better rather
than for you to consider on using it up on mining.It would turn out that you would simply waste of those laptops overtime with having the possible earning of few cents on a month time.
You will surely regret if those laptops would put in fire.
Activity: 393
Coinsbit exchange
Great tips and posts since I last checked.

I was indeed thinking of running a PoS node for a new promising coin. I didn't know there were 'CPU only' mining possiblities.

The heat however is indeed something I have not considered. My laptop is not in use but I don't want to ruin it. It's a Dell M4700 with 16GB RAM. It is quite noisy so at least the fans do their work. But perhaps it's more profitable to simply sell the laptop and invest the money somewhere. Perhaps I can do that after a two week try out.

PoS is what I "mine" these days on my laptop - currently staking Neblio, Nullex, and Stashpay. NEBL is "anchoring" my assets while I experience with Nullex (troubled development and infighting resulting in an upcoming swap) and Stash (newly released blockchain - last week)
Another vote for using an *old* laptop for staking.
Staking is not taking a big toll on your hardware (apart from the SSD I suppose). Bear in mind though that in order for staking to be efficient, your laptop will need to be on 24/7. Which is why I wrote old laptop... as opposed to the one you're working with day in day out. But hey, that's all up to you.

Also bear in mind you can stake several coins simultaneously on one laptop/machine.
I'm staking BEAN, LINDA and VEIL on a small HTPC at home currently, works like a charm.
I agree with you that POS is the only chance to get something on an old laptop. I myself keep my old computer turned on around the clock and stacking a few coins on it.
Pages:
Jump to: