Pages:
Author

Topic: What we've learnt today. - page 32. (Read 84580 times)

legendary
Activity: 1512
Merit: 1042
Death to enemies!
November 07, 2012, 12:22:51 AM
Today I found sound samples from various hard drives. I learned that they sound like they sounded few years ago. Basically Western Digital Caviar Black drives and Seagate Barracuda series can be distinguished from sound alone.
legendary
Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570
Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending
November 06, 2012, 11:12:52 PM
logansryche will be in bed before the polls close in Hawaii.
legendary
November 05, 2012, 11:04:31 AM
Today I was reading an article about airless tyres and this led me to realize something funny about tyre producing companies such as Michelin or Goodyear.

The business of those companies consists in reinventing the wheel.  Literally.

Why do you spell tyres with a y, but realize with a z? Or is there something x that I'm missing?

I'm not a native english speaker so sometimes I can do such mistakes.  Plus my spellchecker is not always set on "english" and I often don't want to bother setting it correctly each time I switch languages  (I whish it'd do it automatically btw).

Damn! That's means I spent 7 hours proving that you're Zhou Tong for nothing.  Grin
legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002
November 05, 2012, 02:38:23 AM
Today I was reading an article about airless tyres and this led me to realize something funny about tyre producing companies such as Michelin or Goodyear.

Why do you spell tyres with a y, but realize with a z? Or is there something x that I'm missing?

I'm not a native english speaker so sometimes I can do such mistakes.  Plus my spellchecker is not always set on "english" and I often don't want to bother setting it correctly each time I switch languages  (I whish it'd do it automatically btw).

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3414/
There is one for Thunderbird also.
legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1080
November 05, 2012, 02:15:39 AM

legendary
Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000
November 05, 2012, 12:19:27 AM
I've been studying texturing for my art so I can make a much better finished piece, almost learned how to use OpenCart, how to work efficiently without nearly killing myself ( The secret is making sure you take regular breaks and make yourself eat food ), also watched a documentary on coffee and how it is made by CNBC which ranted about Starbucks' point of view far too often for my liking rather than about the actual making of coffee which is what I was more interested in. I also looked more carefully into how bitcoin and how to measure the value of goods, turns out things are still relatively up in the air at the moment because it is an emerging economy.
donator
Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007
Poor impulse control.
November 04, 2012, 10:44:10 PM

The business of those companies consists in reinventing the wheel.  Literally.

Probably a faulty spell check. I have one that refuses to Australianizse some words.
legendary
November 04, 2012, 10:30:53 PM

legendary
Activity: 1288
Merit: 1080
November 04, 2012, 02:36:14 PM

legendary
October 22, 2012, 11:27:35 PM
https://bitcointalksearch.org/topic/m.1289590

In essence, Goat has a little elephant. If that's the case, in a sword fight between him and I, he would win, and the only savely grace would be is that I would come in second.

And second is better than third, or worse.

Touché!
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
Decent Programmer to boot!
October 22, 2012, 07:12:53 PM

In essence, Goat has a little elephant. If that's the case, in a sword fight between him and I, he would win, and the only savely grace would be is that I would come in second.

And second is better than third, or worse.
legendary
October 22, 2012, 07:03:29 PM

legendary
October 21, 2012, 11:13:40 PM
Taxonomy has been called "the world's oldest profession",[7] and naming and classifying our surroundings has likely been taking place as long as mankind has been able to communicate. It would always have been important to know the names of poisonous and edible plants and animals in order to communicate this information to other members of the family or group.

Did prostitution come before communication? Or the other way around? This is the world's oldest chicken-and-egg problem. Which is never a problem if you ask me. Like all those famous paradoxes, I never find them paradoxical. It's all semantics. Which brings me back to naming things, i.e. taxonomy. Or prostitution. Same thing.

Phylogenetically speaking with both, a tree is involved.

If there's a tree involved, you're probably doing the prostitution part wrong.

If only there were a book to prove you wrong. Oh, wait...

Okay, you win this round.  Grin

I thought you would see it Douglas Adams' way.
Activity: 140
Merit: 100
October 21, 2012, 11:11:02 PM
Taxonomy has been called "the world's oldest profession",[7] and naming and classifying our surroundings has likely been taking place as long as mankind has been able to communicate. It would always have been important to know the names of poisonous and edible plants and animals in order to communicate this information to other members of the family or group.

Did prostitution come before communication? Or the other way around? This is the world's oldest chicken-and-egg problem. Which is never a problem if you ask me. Like all those famous paradoxes, I never find them paradoxical. It's all semantics. Which brings me back to naming things, i.e. taxonomy. Or prostitution. Same thing.

Okay, you win this round.  Grin
legendary
October 21, 2012, 02:26:43 PM
TIL: My theory that Bruno always has a picture to any conversation, regardless as to its relevance is a fact.

It's no longer a theory.

legendary
Activity: 1358
Merit: 1002
October 21, 2012, 10:53:44 AM
Did prostitution come before communication? Or the other way around?

Communication should've existed first, or else how would men ask for the price? lol
Activity: 504
Merit: 500
Decent Programmer to boot!
October 21, 2012, 09:41:01 AM

TIL: My theory that Bruno always has a picture to any conversation, regardless as to its relevance is a fact.
legendary
October 21, 2012, 06:24:02 AM

Activity: 140
Merit: 100
October 21, 2012, 02:45:37 AM

legendary
October 21, 2012, 02:13:27 AM

Pages:
Jump to: